Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 5th December 2007, 13:53   #271
BHPian

hey black12rr, u mean there isn't any dealership in Mumbai?? strange n surprising.. i thought after Delhi and Bangalore, there were there were a lot of SBK enthusiasts in Mumbai. Also a lot of big spenders willing to dish out that kind of money.
devil_in_flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 14:08   #272
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai
homologaion process is not that big an issue.
Yes, it is a big issue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6
But rtech i know that these bikes were homologated at ARAI, i had heard about an R1 there almost 4-5 months back. I just cannot believe that ARAI has higher standards then places like japan, europe etc...
yes, there were bikes sent there. however, its not a case of higher standards. its more to do with unique standards that ARAI set. AS they are set up for 100cc economisers, their standards do not take into account the larger capacity bikes. Hence tests like emissions etc are set up for the smaller bikes and these larger ones cannot pass.

Also, stupid things like sari guards etc come into play. Then is the time period. it takes years and lakhs of rupee's to get a single model homologated. By the time the 2007 R1 is homologated, the 2008 one will be launched. So what do Yamaha, or any other manufacturer do?

Quote:
Who the hell are they trying to fool by even bothering to homologate these bikes??
So you see, as usual, things in India are unnecessarily complicated. All done under the pressure of Indian companies who do not want imports to enter the market. above 800cc is ok at the moment because none of them are close to making anything in that class. But anything around the 400-600cc mark and they don't want it. hence, the Govt. is pressurised into making these stupid rules to basically discourage and/or make it impossible to sell at a competitive price.

You want to point a finger, point it at the Indian companies and the Govt.'s absurd taxation laws.

Quote:
sad state of affairs and taking the indian consumers for granded.
Its like saying Ferrari, Rolls Royce etc are taking India for a ride. Why don't they assemble the cars in India and pass on the benefits to the customer! The quantities of R1's sold will be similar to the number of Phantoms sold (ok ok, poetic licence here!).
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 14:48   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_in_flesh View Post
hey black12rr, u mean there isn't any dealership in Mumbai?? strange n surprising.. i thought after Delhi and Bangalore, there were there were a lot of SBK enthusiasts in Mumbai. Also a lot of big spenders willing to dish out that kind of money.
I think ,this is the initial delears , as you can in the link I have given ,they will be increasing it to 50 delears , may be some one of you in mumbai can take one .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 15:18   #274
BHPian

It's launched finally.

More details at -
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/2595991.cms
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 16:00   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETlink
He added that the company would not concentrate on the commuter or 100 cc segment anymore. “We would look at niche segments and would be launching some fresh products at the Auto Expo in January 2008,” he said.
Nice.

twentytwenty
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 16:11   #276
Senior - BHPian

My source tells me that we will be getting '08 bikes & not '07 leftovers. Anyone here have confirmation of that?? Actually i'm pretty sure it will be '08.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 18:03   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Yes, it is a big issue!

Also, stupid things like sari guards etc come into play. Then is the time period. it takes years and lakhs of rupee's to get a single model homologated. By the time the 2007 R1 is homologated, the 2008 one will be launched. So what do Yamaha, or any other manufacturer do?

So you see, as usual, things in India are unnecessarily complicated. All done under the pressure of Indian companies who do not want imports to enter the market. above 800cc is ok at the moment because none of them are close to making anything in that class. But anything around the 400-600cc mark and they don't want it. hence, the Govt. is pressurised into making these stupid rules to basically discourage and/or make it impossible to sell at a competitive price.

You want to point a finger, point it at the Indian companies and the Govt.'s absurd taxation laws.

Its like saying Ferrari, Rolls Royce etc are taking India for a ride. Why don't they assemble the cars in India and pass on the benefits to the customer! The quantities of R1's sold will be similar to the number of Phantoms sold (ok ok, poetic licence here!).

Pretty valid points there. Completely in agreement.
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 19:04   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
My source tells me that we will be getting '08 bikes & not '07 leftovers. Anyone here have confirmation of that?? Actually i'm pretty sure it will be '08.
Yes, what they are offering us is the '08 Models and not the '07 LEFTOVERS. In Europe region, the Yamaha Race Blue R1 gets gold wheels, doubt it will come for Indian spec models.
vittalnrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 19:14   #279
BHPian

Droool!
Old 5th December 2007, 21:26   #280
Senior - BHPian

Personally,I feel the gold colored wheels don't go on a bike of any other color except black. Seen a couple of jet black R1s here with the gold wheels,and they sure look good.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 22:26   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vittalnrv View Post
Ok, I think the road tax and insurance amount is less for 2-wheelers compared to 4-wheels
I surely do hope the Govt sees sanity and a CBU 2 wheeler does get lower taxation.

Quote:
If R1 is 10.5 Lakhs Ex-showroom, this bike should land you at somewhere say 11.25-11.50 Max. which I feel is every penny worth it for Tax conscious buyers.
Yes every penny worth for a Salaried man. True.
However, only a fraction of all the SBK riders I know are of the salaried types.

Facts are:-
1)Showing white money in such large amounts is always a problem. That is exactly why all those swanky cars that your neighbours have been driving are all financed.

2)Buying an official bike will infact be a more risky proposition if you are so scared of the tax guys. Having that kind of money to spend on a 2 wheeler (quite opposite to Indian mentality) will definately raise eyebrows.
The Non Yamaha India bikes or all the other bikes anyways are rarely, if ever, registered in the name of the current owner.

3) End of the day, assuming taxation structure is same, 3Lac saving when compared to the official import is sometimes a little too much. Especially for all the posers out there.

Disclaimer:- I expect no hate comments as regards this post. Just posting what I feel will still drive the sales of the "Other route" bikes, even though I myself support official.
ScarySkulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 23:38   #282
Senior - BHPian

Orion opp Forum here I come. Please tell me they have one on Display I dont care about the gold rims. With that much refinement and power. I would ride it in pink color it it came in at a more reasonable 4.5L if manufactured here.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 00:26   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Orion opp Forum here I come. Please tell me they have one on Display I dont care about the gold rims. With that much refinement and power. I would ride it in pink color it it came in at a more reasonable 4.5L if manufactured here.

had been to orion today morning but there were no R1s or Mt-o1 on display.To my surprise there was a FZ1 but it is nothing much to talk about. When I requested the sales person for the R1 broucher, he brings a safe folder and pulls out a owners manual of 07 R1,,what a jerk!

BTW.. he quoted 12.5Lakhs on road, if your financing the down payment is a MINIMUM 5Lakhs. Pricing is same for both the bikes, 5 R1s and 5 MTs are expected over the weekend.
Old 6th December 2007, 00:39   #284
Senior - BHPian

I always thought we would get the europe spec bikes as all our cars have the "euro1,2,3" tags to them. The US market doesnt get the red/white R1 either, they have the maroon.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 00:47   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
had been to orion today morning but there were no R1s or Mt-o1 on display.To my surprise there was a FZ1 but it is nothing much to talk about. When I requested the sales person for the R1 broucher, he brings a safe folder and pulls out a owners manual of 07 R1,,what a jerk!

BTW.. he quoted 12.5Lakhs on road, if your financing the down payment is a MINIMUM 5Lakhs. Pricing is same for both the bikes, 5 R1s and 5 MTs are expected over the weekend.
Rs 5 lakhs? Wow,quite a chunk.
Any idea why the downpayment is fixed at such a high amount?
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote