Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 10th December 2007, 17:46   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Do cars brought to INDIA as CBU also have >100% duty ?
A 1000rr or R1 costs like less than 4lakhs ( 9000 $) over there and here we pay 12.5 lakhs .
Interesting. A Chevy Optra costs about the same abroad, and despite the fact that it is manufactured in India it still costs almost 11 lakhs OTR, doesnt it?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 18:45   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Do cars brought to INDIA as CBU also have >100% duty ?
A 1000rr or R1 costs like less than 4lakhs ( 9000 $) over there and here we pay 12.5 lakhs .
Yes the cars brought into India as CBU's have to pay over 100% duty apart from the regulations of no LHD and homologation if under 3000cc.

Last edited by iraghava : 10th December 2007 at 18:48.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2007, 23:47   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
I think it wud be smart to wait for a bit to grab one of these. Prices will surely go down....or so I hope.

you're right ! lets wait for some of these bikes to come on the roads , the prices would surely come down , as yamaha, on seeing the result of sales ,would launch some more models , like 600 cc's
sajid33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 00:27   #319
Senior - BHPian

I think 600cc bikes are more then enough for our country.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 02:45   #320
Senior - BHPian

I feel anything between 400-750cc would suffice for Indian roads. No harm having anything bigger. But it wouldn't be utilized that extent.
Either ways, a good sports bike with fairings & decent performance is what's needed...so bring it on Yamaha, Suzuki..Honda!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 02:53   #321
Senior - BHPian

correct me if i am wrong, hasnt suzuki already launched a few Sbks in India, and are delivered on order-wait basis, atleast as far as i have heard from the dobro suzuki guys showroom in hyderguda in Hyderabad! and they were also about to launch 600 and 400cc bikes the gsx series bikes few naked roadsters and few with fairings!
rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 11:31   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I think 600cc bikes are more then enough for our country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I feel anything between 400-750cc would suffice for Indian roads. No harm having anything bigger. But it wouldn't be utilized that extent.
This is exactly why the MT-01 will be a more practical option than the R1. Despite its 1,700cc V Twin, this bike will thump along happily in heavy traffic much like a Bullet does because it has oodles of low-end torque, where the R1 will be screaming for revvs and overheating.

And when the road opens up it can do the speeds that other faster bikes will have to restrict themselves to thanks to our highways.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:47   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
correct me if i am wrong, hasnt suzuki already launched a few Sbks in India, and are delivered on order-wait basis, atleast as far as i have heard from the dobro suzuki guys showroom in hyderguda in Hyderabad! and they were also about to launch 600 and 400cc bikes the gsx series bikes few naked roadsters and few with fairings!
They can only launch 600/400 cc bikes if they manufacture here. Importing them is outta question, because of stoopid 800cc customs restrictions.
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 11:59   #324
Team-BHP Support

guys, these are aspirational bikes. People don't buy a Ferrari to drive it to the bazaar. Similarly, the market for these bikes are people who have extra cash, and want a weekend toy.

Even in the US, sbk's are used mostly for weekend rides and track days i.e. for enjoyment only, not for commuting.

And Busa, the torque of a liter bike makes them far better to ride on congested roads. My 800 is far easier and less tiring to ride than my 400.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 12:12   #325
BHPian

Default I agree

I completely agree with Robin. The bigger the bike , the more torque there is and you can patter along at just about idling speed in traffic. The 400s and 600s will have to be revved high to extract any power, and hence are a pain in the @$$ in traffic..
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 13:43   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
guys, these are aspirational bikes. People don't buy a Ferrari to drive it to the bazaar. Similarly, the market for these bikes are people who have extra cash, and want a weekend toy.

Even in the US, sbk's are used mostly for weekend rides and track days i.e. for enjoyment only, not for commuting.

And Busa, the torque of a liter bike makes them far better to ride on congested roads. My 800 is far easier and less tiring to ride than my 400.
100% right my friend. in fact i find riding my old bullet difficult everyday. i was thinking of getting a commuter bike
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 20:47   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
This is exactly why the MT-01 will be a more practical option than the R1. Despite its 1,700cc V Twin, this bike will thump along happily in heavy traffic much like a Bullet does because it has oodles of low-end torque, where the R1 will be screaming for revvs and overheating.

And when the road opens up it can do the speeds that other faster bikes will have to restrict themselves to thanks to our highways.
Nice! Now that wouldn't be bad at all.
Just wondering, how many people would actually be able to use these bikes to full potential,without messing things up on the bike? No doubt,there are loads of experienced riders.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 02:14   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
those "stupidos" as you like to call them had the mt01 on display at the vaahan yatra and from tmro it will be at orion motors (opp. forum mall). 3 lakhs booking amount and they already have 6 bookings from the expo.

also its these "stupidos" that are the first ones in india to offer clean and legal superbikes to the indian market.
was at the yatra on friday. they had a modified gladiator. and a modified R1. it wasn't new or street legal as it had no headlamps. it was full of local stickers. it was obviously borrowed from someone.
there was absolutely no sign of the MT-01...nor did the girls handing out fliers have any clue about the same. if they brought it in after friday afternoon...i stand corrrected. did anybody else see the MT-01 in the yatra?

as far as the last portion of your quote...i wasnt questioning their wisdom of bringing 'clean' bikes (whether they're stupidos in that or not...time and sales figures will tell...not you or me)...i was questioning their wisdom of trying to sell such a premium product without having a brand new piece of both models displayed at the yatra. surely thats not how they would operate in other more advanced markets?
raftaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 12:45   #329
BHPian

Default Mt 01

Was looking at the specs of MT 01.

It develops 90 BHP from its 1700 + cc V twin.

isnt it too low a specific output for a modern bike ? And it is supposed to be a push rod engine as well.

Even if you discount its huge torque and narrow power band , the specific power output is similar to the Good Old Bullets. ( 350 CC developing 18 BHP or 5.14 bhp / 100cc which is comparable to that of MT 01 )

Ofcourse MT 01 is very well engineered and put together but the power output looks too low IMO.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 13:04   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
Was looking at the specs of MT 01.

It develops 90 BHP from its 1700 + cc V twin.

isnt it too low a specific output for a modern bike ? And it is supposed to be a push rod engine as well.
This bike is NOT about specific output. It rides on 150nm of torque, more than what is developed by a lot of cars of the same CC. The 90 bhp is incidental.

The bike is classified by Yamaha as 'Torque Sports', and the manufacturer's positioning is also all about torque.

The bike was not designed for outright topspeed, but for massive driveability. On most roads it drives like an Automatic where most of the others are busy searching for a lower gear.

Here are a couple of reviews, there are more out on the net:

Yamaha MT-01 First Ride

V Owner's Group - My Yamaha MT 01

All this is on paper, though. You really have to sling a leg over it and ride it to believe what I say.

Last edited by Steeroid : 13th December 2007 at 13:11.