Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread

Old 13th November 2007, 07:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey robin which site did you buy the micron from?
Old 13th November 2007, 08:00   #17
BHPian

Neat, looks great on the inside as well.

There are 2 different VFR recalls that are going on. There was a alternator recall on my 02 that just ended. I missed out on that one. Now there is a wiring harness recall, I need to take mine in to get it replaced. You can check with Honda to see if your VIN number is affected.

Also, if you already do not have the factory manual, you should be able to find at VFR discussion VFRD -> Download Manager#

Cheers,
-Prasadee
Old 13th November 2007, 11:04   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlos
Gimme a shout the next time in Pune, I need moral support (pun unintended) to fiddle with my Triumph.
Sure. But first I have to think of an utterly stupid name to call your bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60
and one question what is the current generation of VFR in the market?
The 6th generation with the Vtec engine is the current bike. Take a look at Prasadee's gallery. thats his bike.

Rumour has it that Honda is going to launch a 1000cc VFR soon as a 2008 model year bike. Can't wait to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron
Tell me when you open up the mechanicals, Robin...I'll be there to capture all the obscenity in all possible angles....
umm...I hope I don't have to for a very long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee
You can check with Honda to see if your VIN number is affected.
Already checked when I registered on the Honda site. No recalls for the 5th Gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee
Also, if you already do not have the factory manual,
Yup. Got the factory manual, Clymer service manual and owners manual. I think I've pretty much covered all the manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra
How exactly did you do it? With K&N kit? I may be wrong but that should look more purple after proper cleaning and re-oil. No?
No K&N kit. As I said, I didn't know the bike had a K&N, so I was not prepared. I simply cleaned off the excess muck/dirt that had accumulated on the filter. The filter was still damp to the touch with oil. I will get the kit and do a proper cleaning and re-oiling soon though.

Actually, I was looking for a foam filter, but can't seem to find one for this model, so I guess I'll stick with the K&N.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Very nice bike, the V4s are something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Actually, I was looking for a foam filter, but can't seem to find one for this model, so I guess I'll stick with the K&N.
Here you go: Pipercross filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Actually no. The 5th generation is the one with the least issues. The only recurring problem with the 5th gen is the Regulator/rectifier. The cam issues were with the 2-3 generation VFR's, and sorted out by 1990's VFR750. So embarrassed was Honda that they over engineered the 750 & 800. The 4th & 5th generation VFR 750/800 can be equated with the Mercedes E220 on the over-engineered bit.
Correction, no VFRs ever had cam issues. The old VFs did, so Honda re- and overengineered the next lot, the VFRs. Which is why they last 100,000 miles with no issues.
Old 13th November 2007, 11:59   #20
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the link there. Didn't think to check Pipercross. But those are pods. I don't want pods, just a replacement panel filter. Also, you are right about the VF/VFR's. The VFR's were never affected by the dreaded cam issues.

Last edited by Rtech : 13th November 2007 at 12:01.
Old 13th November 2007, 12:17   #21
BHPian

Default valve job?

Robin,

That sure was a fun afternoon. Do let me know when you want to do the Valve job. I have a shim kit with a gzillion shims in it. Dont think I will need all of them when I open up mine

Vijay
Old 13th November 2007, 12:23   #22
Team-BHP Support

Wow. Thanks Vijay! I will surely take you up on that offer.
Old 13th November 2007, 12:53   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Nicely done Robin. Next time call me, If I am free I will come by with fried chicken and I will take a few photos while you work.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2007, 12:58   #24
BHPian

Default Tires

Slitghtly OT, BTW where do you source your tires from? My current Metlezers are soft hispeed compounds. I am thinking of replacing them with slightly tougher touring tires with more aggressive treads that can give me some bite on gravel/sand/mud.. Any ideas?
Old 14th November 2007, 23:40   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

How do you guys deal with all the muck that gets thorwn into the engine and radiator. Superbikes usually have very short front mudguards that dont come all the way down in the back and no provision for mudflaps.
Old 19th November 2007, 15:14   #26
BHPian

Default Muck in the radiator

I get the bike pressure washed every other week that I have been riding it. That keeps the radiator clean..

Vijay
Old 19th November 2007, 20:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
I get the bike pressure washed every other week that I have been riding it. That keeps the radiator clean..

Vijay
The last time I did that on my Gixxer like a numbskull I accidentally sprayed straight into the air intake opening next to the headlamp. The dam thing wudnt start for 25 minutes i was so pissed with my self !
i let her sit there while I sat on the curb for a bit. Started with a few hiccups which stayed for a few days and then all was ok!
Old 20th November 2007, 17:05   #28
BHPian

Default washing the bike..

been there done that on my bull. Now I spray forward from behind the engine. That takes care of the issue.
Old 20th November 2007, 17:21   #29
BHPian

Lil OT : saw a GSXR1000 with a short can, a black BlackBird and a 954 heading towards Palm beach from CBD this sunday morning at around 7:45amish.. ne idea who they were?
Old 20th November 2007, 17:40   #30
BHPian

Firstly great write-up Robin!
H'ver I know I'm old and all - but I just cant see the pics or any links to them? cant be my eyes!

PS
Quote:
will get the kit and do a proper cleaning and re-oiling soon though.
But you need to get in touch first right!!!
Closed Thread