Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 24th November 2007, 17:01   #1
BHPian

Default V-6, V-8, V-12 m'cycles anybody?

These mutis fascinate me. I don't know if it's the complexity of the engineering (like a mechanical Swiss watch holds allure over quartz), or the soundtrack, or the smooth-as-cream-from-a-jar power delivery- at least in theory.

I know of a couple of custom/prototypes around... any info on production bikes? Anyone ridden one?

This Australian named Drysdale made a sexy V-8 (don't know if it's still in prod); Laverda long threatened a V-6 based on the Jota 3cyl, and there's a real lunatic in England who re-engineers existing Kawasaki and Honda engines into credible V-8s and EVEN V-12s!

And then there were the Wankels, last of which was the Van Veen or was it the Norton JPS?
Not to forget the Dodge Viper-engined V-10 motorcycle that GM built as mere design leadership exercise. It had 4 wheels...so was it even a motorcycle???
And Jay Leno owns one of these: a bike with a jet engine off a helicopter. ..what next?

But that said, putting crazy horses into bikes- well it's nothing new; Moto Guzzi raced a V-8 in the 50's and the soundtrack is available on the Net.

We got a long way to go, Shogun baby.

Let us know if you have info.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2007, 16:24   #2
BHPian

oops, pardon errata:
should read 'multis'.
Old 26th November 2007, 10:59   #3
BHPian

A worthy mention here is the RAPOM V8. It is a 8.2 L V8, supercharged, producing over a 1000 horses. The engine was taken off a monster truck. It has a 2-speed auto-tranny. Fuel consumption? 4 mpg. Best part is that it is road registered.

In case you are wondering what RAPOM stands for, it is nothing but a rearrangement of MOPAR.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2007, 17:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

In 1907 a Curtiss 8 cylinder motorcycle did 130.6mph ridden by Curtiss himself.. It was powered a Curtiss engine designed for air use doing duties in a bike frame. The record of 13.6mph was only broken in 1930.

Then there was a weird looking Morbidelli V8 made initaly during the modern imes which flopped in the market.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2007, 17:52   #5
BHPian

Yeah, Sankar, I remember seeing pics of the bizarre-looking Morbidelli...and thks for remindig me of that name that was for all intents and purposes lost in the mists of my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
A worthy mention here is the RAPOM V8. It is a 8.2 L V8, supercharged, producing over a 1000 horses. The engine was taken off a monster truck. It has a 2-speed auto-tranny. Fuel consumption? 4 mpg. Best part is that it is road registered.

In case you are wondering what RAPOM stands for, it is nothing but a rearrangement of MOPAR.
WOW. Wow, but hardly rideable I'd say.
Anything besides these over-the-top machines? Any pics of these?
Old 28th November 2007, 11:29   #6
BHPian

Surprised no one has mentioned the Boss Hoss V8 series. Take a look:

ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 11:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
WOW. Wow, but hardly rideable I'd say.
Anything besides these over-the-top machines? Any pics of these?
RAPOM V8

You may like to see this THREAD
-GS- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2007, 13:36   #8
BHPian

Thks, GS. THAT I'd call a Monster! Seems the lean angle would be 3 degrees after which you'd lose your exhaust headers AND mind!!

With that kind of horses, she'd tow a small ship so maybe they could use them at the Panama canal :-)
Old 29th November 2007, 17:00   #9
BHPian

The RAPOM V8 is simply outrageous.

Can I buy one ?
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 18:30   #10
BHPian

the dodge tomahawk v10 is a concept bike
but they do have a prototype as well, right?
blue2ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 18:47   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
These mutis fascinate me. I don't know if it's the complexity of the engineering (like a mechanical Swiss watch holds allure over quartz), or the soundtrack, or the smooth-as-cream-from-a-jar power delivery at least in theory.
I don't know about jars, but the examples cited here seem to have more like 'cream-being-churned-into-butter' kind of power! They seem pretty useless to me. The only thing that qualifies them as bikes is that they have 2 wheels! They are not ride-able at all, which kills the very essence of biking. I mean, look at the bulk. They look more like freight-liners to me.
You need to have 40-inch quadriceps to ride one of these. Having explosive power has no point!
dustDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 14:35   #12
BHPian

Yeah dustDevil. My fascination in these behemoths is purely academic. Like you said they're barely m'cycles and you gotta be a Schwzanegger-dropped-in-magic-potion to even think of riding one...so, true, totally useless. But, engineering them must take some doing.
The Drysdale from out of Melb, Australia seemed totally street-friendly and quite capable of running you down to the Marina and back...without deconstructing you.