Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:57   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,502
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
From what I've heard recently, Ducati has dropped its prices drastically. The 848 now costs 12 something lakhs. They still won't sell that much as they are horrible street bikes (the sportsbikes of course and not the naked street bikes) and that's where most guys ride.
As a first time possible SBK buyer, I am debating between the Bandit 1250/MT01/CB1000r. I read somewhere that Ducati India is launching the Monster 796 at a reasonably attractive price of Rs 8 lakhs. It seems to be getting decent reviews, the 796, but the big concern remains the build quality from a reliability perspective - I hear for instance that the CDI unit can be destroyed by a battery that has not seen use for a week - and the big question mark over the service set up in India.
Overall, the big Suzuki is ahead just now - I wish it did not weigh as much as it does, 250+ kilos. But it seems to be the practical choice. The Monster looks delicious though! And 800 cc is all I will ever need in India, on two wheels.

Last edited by Sawyer : 23rd August 2010 at 16:59.
Sawyer is online now  
Old 23rd August 2010, 22:06   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 921 Times
Default

I've been tracking this issue and all things considered I too think the Suzuki seems to be your best bet. You're also right about 800 cc being more than enough for practically all purposes.

Looking at the bikes though I think the Bandit ergonomics may be better suited for very long rides. The Monster is just a little forward n low, sort of SBK style.
Axe77 is offline  
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:34   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
straight6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bombay
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

The bandit will be your best bet. Go for it.
straight6 is offline  
Old 24th August 2010, 06:38   #64
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

While I enjoy reading the comparisons between Ducati's / YamHonSuziKawa ,
my 1198s still makes me turn around and catch that last glimpse before leaving the garage and a big smile every time I turn on the ignition.

Get one where you can Balance your wallet and heart and you will be happy riding.
theotherme is offline  
Old 24th August 2010, 19:28   #65
BHPian
 
VLOCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 558
Thanked: 606 Times
Default

I have owned a 999 for four years now and it's never let me down. It's all about the power delivery. Ducati L-twin, in my opinion, provides the power at the most usable rpm range. For the japs, it's all at the high end. Unless you have open roads, it could get very frustrating with the japanese bikes.

Ducati ownership is expensive. The 1198 will have to have major service done every 7500 miles and its belts replaced every two years. The major service will cost a bundle. But the rewards, every component used is the top of the line. I won't make any comment on the looks since its a no contest anyway. I myself am partial to the 999 but that's just me. Owning a jap superbike never even occurred to me since I find them absolutely boring.

And anyone who doubts the Ducati performance, just look at the MotoGP and Superbike history and read their absolute dominance. Think about it, a company that barely sells 200,000 bikes a year compared to the japs who sell millions every year. Yet when it comes to racing pedigree, the italians can't be touched, whether motorbikes or cars. And the same goes for their design, absolutely divine.

For anyone interested, my review is here.

Last edited by VLOCT : 24th August 2010 at 19:31.
VLOCT is offline  
Old 25th August 2010, 19:07   #66
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
I have owned a 999 for four years now and it's never let me down. It's all about the power delivery. Ducati L-twin, in my opinion, provides the power at the most usable rpm range. For the japs, it's all at the high end. Unless you have open roads, it could get very frustrating with the japanese bikes.

Ducati ownership is expensive. The 1198 will have to have major service done every 7500 miles and its belts replaced every two years. The major service will cost a bundle. But the rewards, every component used is the top of the line. I won't make any comment on the looks since its a no contest anyway. I myself am partial to the 999 but that's just me. Owning a jap superbike never even occurred to me since I find them absolutely boring.

And anyone who doubts the Ducati performance, just look at the MotoGP and Superbike history and read their absolute dominance. Think about it, a company that barely sells 200,000 bikes a year compared to the japs who sell millions every year. Yet when it comes to racing pedigree, the italians can't be touched, whether motorbikes or cars. And the same goes for their design, absolutely divine.

For anyone interested, my review is here.
I completely agree.. I never have to rev the engine very high. By the time I am riding close to / a little above legal speeds, I am still under 5K Rpm..

Regarding the 7500 Mile service, Its somewhere between $700 and $900 depending on the dealer.

I am not sure of the belts and something I have to look when I get closer to that mileage.

The 600 Mile service was about $200 ( Which included Oil Change and reset SERV Indicator and a general check ).

Dyno charts and my Favourite Pic of 1198s ( its a 2009 ) . The 2010 1198s has a red frame , with black wheels and red stripe .
Attached Thumbnails
Ducati officially launched in INDIA - 15 to 50 lakhs-2010_literbikes_dynohp.jpg  

Ducati officially launched in INDIA - 15 to 50 lakhs-ducati1.jpg  

Attached Images
 
theotherme is offline  
Old 26th August 2010, 20:52   #67
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 703
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

I understand you wanted to get the Dealership of Ducati and offcourse you would have a soft spot for them. I dont mean to hurt your feelings in anyway. In India Ducati is more of a Mannequin of a middle aged actress than the Actress herself. By this i mean there are more Window shoppers who admire the bike but a few who have actually bought it. This is due to the fact that the 848 cost around 15 Lakhs and for the same amount you would be able to get yourself a bigger Busa, R1, Intruder, GSX1000, CB1000, 1000RR and the Bandit. The 1 litre bikes from Ducati would be in the 20 lakh plaus bracket and this makes no sense to the common man, mind you i am not talking of an enthusiast with loads of money or even someone who has loads of money and wants the bike for upmanship status.

Well, i do have to admit that there are more window shoppers than buyers . I dont have any particular soft spot for any bike , but again the bike has loads of tech which makes it really outstanding than the others .
greatmana2000 is offline  
Old 26th August 2010, 21:54   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I read somewhere that Ducati India is launching the Monster 796 at a reasonably attractive price of Rs 8 lakhs.
Sawyer, the price of Ducati 696 is somewhere around 9.6L ex showroom Noida.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
and the big question mark over the service set up in India.
Not an issue if you're in NCR/Delhi or Mumbai. And consider the fact on replacing the expensive desmo valves for every 6-8K Kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Overall, the big Suzuki is ahead just now
Rightly said & I guess you've made up your mind too. Though I'm not a fan of Suzuki (including the busa), I've to really admit this fact.
aargee is offline  
Old 27th August 2010, 01:59   #69
BHPian
 
VLOCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 558
Thanked: 606 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherme View Post
I am not sure of the belts and something I have to look when I get closer to that mileage.

The 600 Mile service was about $200
Belt change does not depend on mileage but only on time. Its two years for the 999. It's probably the same for 1198. Ducati recommends changing the time belts at this interval regardless of the miles.

I wish people would stop looking at dyno charts before buying bikes. Less than 1% of bike riders can ever use more than 70% of todays superbike capability. Its the most useless info for buying a bike. Just buy the bike that looks good to you. A superior skilled rider will beat you on a 250 cc bike either on a twistie or on the track. I still love to read the instance when Nick Ienatsch (on a liter bike) wrote how Kevin Schwantz would LAP him AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN on a 650 cc. And both were champion riders.

So people, just enjoy your ride and be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
And consider the fact on replacing the expensive desmo valves for every 6-8K Kms.
Testastaretta engines from 999 model onwards do not have any issue of flaking which was the reason for valve issues with the Desmoquattro engines of the previous models. There is absolutely no need for any valve changes with the new models.
VLOCT is offline  
Old 27th August 2010, 04:42   #70
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
I wish people would stop looking at dyno charts before buying bikes. Less than 1% of bike riders can ever use more than 70% of todays superbike capability. Its the most useless info for buying a bike.
I sure did not look @ / care about the dyno charts.

And to those who do, it might be one of the factors they might include in deciding.Not everyone purchases just for riding on the street. The charts do back up your comments on the L-twin though.


******

It's all about the power delivery. Ducati L-twin, in my opinion, provides the power at the most usable rpm range.

*******
theotherme is offline  
Old 27th August 2010, 12:23   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Well, i do have to admit that there are more window shoppers than buyers . I dont have any particular soft spot for any bike , but again the bike has loads of tech which makes it really outstanding than the others .
I am no connoisseur of bikes but a lay man. The only Ducati i found with loads of techs was the Multistrada 1200, the others are just as any other bike in the market. The Multistrada does have stiff competition with the Goldwing as in my opinioun the Goldwing is in a league of its own. It has the auto stand feature, reverse assist and other goddies at an expensive but not so expensive a price. I guess then again both bikes are built with different end uses in mind. One a highway cruiser and the other an all terrain runner.
speedy is offline  
Old 27th August 2010, 18:32   #72
BHPian
 
Haroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jedda/Bangalore
Posts: 426
Thanked: 646 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I am no connoisseur of bikes but a lay man. The only Ducati i found with loads of techs was the Multistrada 1200, the others are just as any other bike in the market. The Multistrada does have stiff competition with the Goldwing as in my opinioun the Goldwing is in a league of its own. It has the auto stand feature, reverse assist and other goddies at an expensive but not so expensive a price. I guess then again both bikes are built with different end uses in mind. One a highway cruiser and the other an all terrain runner.
Just to put things correctly, the Multistrada 1200 is pitted against the benchmark bike of adventure tourers the BMW R1200GS and to some extent with the KTM 990 Adv and the newly introduced Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 which are all capable to do tarmac & dirt roads. But again the Multistrada's engine is a modified 1198 engine that is more sporty in nature than the BMW, KTM or Yam with close to 150 horses available on tap. Also with 17inch front wheels, its not the best for off-road work as compared to the 21 inch KTM wheels or the 19inch BMW/Yam. Although this Duc is a great bike with mind-blowing techno stuff etc and they call it an adventure tourer, I think it will beat its competitors in that segment as long as it stays on-road. Once you take it off road the KTM, Beemer or Super Tenere will easily leave it behind any day. But then I guess Ducati knew well what small percentage of BMW GS or KTM Adv owners actually take their bike off-road so probably they decided this can be a more road oriented adventure tourer.
As for the Goldwing, its in a different league and undoubtedly the industry standard for a full dress tourer, though it will be competing with the soon to come BMW K1600LT that has way more hp & techno stuff on board than the Goldwing. Even the discountinued K1200LT was a close competitor to the Goldwing.
Haroon is online now  
Old 27th August 2010, 21:31   #73
BHPian
 
VLOCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, USA
Posts: 558
Thanked: 606 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherme View Post
I sure did not look @ / care about the dyno charts.
My comment was addressed to the general riding public and potential future biker and not specifically to you so, please do not take any offense. It was definitely not addressed to the serious racer who in all probability has already decided on his favorite liter bike and our comments on this forum are not going to make any difference. I meet a lot of youngsters who obsess about the dyno charts but are terrified of hitting the twisties. I never understood why they buy 'sport' bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Once you take it off road the KTM, Beemer or Super Tenere will easily leave it behind any day.
This statement can only be substantiated by an expert off-road rider after riding all three bikes. Otherwise, the most skilled rider will win the day and not the make of the bike. There is not much to choose between top of the line modern bikes. Its usually boils down to personal choice.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd September 2010 at 16:35. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
VLOCT is offline  
Old 28th August 2010, 03:56   #74
BHPian
 
Haroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Jedda/Bangalore
Posts: 426
Thanked: 646 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
This statement can only be substantiated by an expert off-road rider after riding all three bikes. Otherwise, the most skilled rider will win the day and not the make of the bike. There is not much to choose between top of the line modern bikes. Its usually boils down to personal choice.
I fully agree that the final choice is based on the brand and to a somewhat lesser level dealer support availability. And yes, I meant when tested by equally capable dirt riders on all 4 machines, sure the 19/21 inch wheels with spokes can definitely do a lot better on dirt than a 17 inch alloy wheel. Anyway, lets wait till we see a few reports of the Multistradas deep in sahara or siberia or on a RTW trip and then decide.
Haroon is online now  
Old 28th August 2010, 15:23   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 926 Times
Default

VLOCT and Haroon i quite agree with the both of you'll here. Myself not being an Off-road rider but having owned some street and cruisers and seeing the general trend of riders here, i would feel the Multistrada 1200 or any other bike of the same kinds would not do well here in India. I did not think the BMW 650 Funduro was a bad bike atall when it released a few years ago. The thing that killed it was the expensive pricing for the time and genre of riders. India has larger percentage of people who want the sleek GP look for their bikes apposed to the cruisers or off road bikes. The other factor that comes into play is the price point availability of service backup. In India you dont see an expensive SUV owner taking his car on No road condition places (this is not offroading but in between road and offroad) these are bikes and that too at a price of a sedan. My honest opinioun for Harley Davidson even though the dealership belongs to someone i know is that there would be just the 883's that would sell in larger numbers because of the Brand name and the 8 lakhs price tag. The bigger guys would one off sales to status getters. Harley like Ducati would remain as an eye candy for people to admire, but think four times before owning. Harley Merchandise would be a plus point and a major contributor to its income mode.

I am just a lay man thinking aloud. If i had to pay 20 or 30 lakhs for one bike (Ducati) compared to 25 lakhs for a cruiser and a sports (Suzuki representing the Jap stable), what would go for. I would get the Suzuki's. The reason is simple i get two great bikes, one super sport and the other a cruiser. I have service backing even in other states if i am into long distance riding. As a practical person the Jap bikes make more sense to me. Please do correct me as i am a novice in this field, i think with me brains and not the heart .

Last edited by speedy : 28th August 2010 at 15:31.
speedy is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ducati to re-enter India in 2015. EDIT: Bikes priced from Rs. 7.08 lakhs (page 6) Abhi_Automobile Superbikes & Imports 397 22nd March 2017 15:45
VW unwraps the updated Polo & Vento; launched at Rs. 6.94 lakhs & Rs. 9.89 lakhs Abhinav667 The Indian Car Scene 239 10th April 2013 19:57
Aadya Motors- New Ducati dealer in Bangalore. And on Ducati's shoddy affairs in India JVH Superbikes & Imports 39 17th December 2012 18:18
Ducati on the block! EDIT : Audi buys Ducati for USD 1.12 Billion shortbread Superbikes & Imports 30 3rd August 2012 15:15
ASTON MARTIN: Officially launched in India on 15th April, 2011 YSooSeriouss Super-Cars & Imports in India 102 28th September 2011 12:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks