Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 19th February 2005, 00:31   #1
N.J

Default importing bikes

just came over my head,
what if, (if)
i get a used R1 for like around 5,000$ and now, ask the owner to like take the money but on papers show that the bike is like 100$
now , what will the duty be like?
N.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 07:05   #2
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.J
just came over my head,
what if, (if)
i get a used R1 for like around 5,000$ and now, ask the owner to like take the money but on papers show that the bike is like 100$
now , what will the duty be like?
you think custom authorities are fools, smarter than us. First of all there is an instant bribe of 2lakhs inr, then if every thing is right then middle people get 20inr, then they will see the year of manufacture and depreciate 4% every quarter. If you r lucky and the agent is very good u get it for 5 lakhs inr.

Forget it man , just come here and buy it for 6 lakhs, or just drool when ever you see a sports bike. If you want to take the bike back to US then I think you can get busa also for less. dont know details just ask some one, guys please help NJ out.
Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 10:35   #3
BHPian

The customs here dont give a rats ass about what the value on paper is. they have a book which when matched with the chassis no on the bike gives the yr of manufacture. Once the yr of manufacture is ascertained they give u depreciation per quarter. For the first yr the depriciation is 4% per quarter then keeps on increasing, 5% for the second here and 6% for the third.
Get it?
S600BENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2005, 18:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

so incase i can but say a cbr 600 or somethin like tht for around 5000 USD , a 2000 vintage so can anyone give me an idea on how much will the lnading cost be in bombay after everything ( including the price of the bike , 5000 USD ) ???

manson .
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 14:33   #5
BHPian

NJ,
U seem to be very confused as to what bike you should get!
1st u wanted the comet, which many others inclusing I were against.. Now u'r thinking about getting a bike which costs $5000 and say it is $100?!! Whats up with u mate?!!
I suppose u meant $1000 atleast and not 100, for christ's sake.. Like they'l believe u got it for $100!!
Anyways I think u get here and get a good one imported instead of all this confusion....

_CheerS_
vinsanity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 19:56   #6
N.J

the 100$ thing was jus a illetary, its not the real thing, its jus something tat came over my head. I really am thinking about putting in more money or am thinkin of alternative ways of gettin my busa in india. another thing, my dad is in the air force, i know in the air force if u are posted abroad for over a year, u can import a car or bike duty free. but my dads course is 363 days exact, !@#$!@#$. Can u guys put more light on this,
vinsanity, sorry for being such a nerd, but man i really am a bike freak and cant live with the puny bikes in india, if u know wat i mean.
N.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 13:13   #7
BHPian

hi all
i have a doubt!
my unkle livin in da us has been transferred here.he will be here for the next 3 years after which hez goin back.i was wondering if i could get a bike from there in his name imported.what will the costom duty be like.will it reduce or be the same.thinking if gettin a 2nd had 6r.hez leavin this october so i got to make a decition soon
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 00:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

If you want to get creative, you can probably buy a bike in the US, strip it completely and then ship the engine, frame, body separately thru different ports like Bombay, Cochin etc. That way you will pay duty on used parts not a vehicle. putting it back together is not a big deal.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 01:29   #9
BANNED

well guys would it be possible like this.my aunt was here on a project for a MNC for 1 year....so can she get an import vehicle from the u.s stating that she will be stayin here for a year..for usage here.i think that would take off the duty.is it actually possible like that..
freakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 21:21   #10
Team-BHP Support

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
If you want to get creative, you can probably buy a bike in the US, strip it completely and then ship the engine, frame, body separately thru different ports like Bombay, Cochin etc. That way you will pay duty on used parts not a vehicle. putting it back together is not a big deal.

Yeah and how do you think you are going to get the bike registered without the Invoice/Challan for the duty paid against the whole bike?? Let me know.. and if you plan to get it in India pray that you wont start from JW Mariott and go up hill road and approach the bakery!!!
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2005, 01:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
if you plan to get it in India pray that you wont start from JW Mariott and go up hill road and approach the bakery!!!
i dont get it. what does this mean??
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote