Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 2nd December 2008, 14:02   #1
BHPian

Angry High-end imported bikes under Customs scanner

News Item on MSN online.

New Delhi: After seizing imported aircraft and cars belonging to India Inc for alleged tax evasion, the government is now scrutinising on the shipments of high-end motor bikes, including those imported by a leading two-wheeler company, into the country.

Sources in the Customs Department said that a large number of bikes have been imported showing under-valuation of bikes or in some cases importing them under the guise of “research and development” purpose.

“If you want to import a bike into India, the duty for it stands at over 100 per cent. Hence, some under-value the bike or bring them under the guise of research and development which gives them 100 per cent duty exemption,” a top official of the Customs Department said.

An Indian two-wheeler company is also under department’s scanner for under-valuation of 50 imported bikes, allegedly evading duty of about Rs 50 lakh.

Sources said the company had imported the 200cc bikes for “research and development purpose” but had under-valued it at the time of import.

“Differential value was found to be more than Rs one lakh per bike,” a senior Customs official said.
He said 50 such bikes were found to be mis-declared “with an intention to evade duty of about Rs 50 lakh and are liable for confiscation”.

Source: Business Standard

Source: High-end imported bikes under Customs scanner - Business News - News - MSN India - News

Very interesting read, considering I was planning to buy an imported bike from one of the dealers in India.

Some points I would like to call attention to:

1. It seems like a risky business to buy a import from the dealers in India.
2. Which company are the customs guys talking about?
3. I did not know that there is no duty on Bikes imported for R and D.

Cheers
downsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:10   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

AFAIK, the customs has always been cracking down on imported bikes. I remember how some were seized at the speedrun a couple of years back.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:33   #3
BHPian

Thumbs up

Which company could it be ? Yamaha or Honda ? But who imported 200 cc bikes ?

CHEERS,
G D
P180V1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:38   #4
BHPian

Maybe the TVS importing dirtbikes.
crazydiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 22:48   #5
BHPian

@GTO I have heard about the speedrun issues, last year some bikes were picked by the RTO in Bangalore as well. But nothing really came out of it. Wondering if this is related to the earn more...ahem(you know).

@crazydiablo There is another company which came to my mind, Kinetic. The comets were in the 200+ range.

Last edited by v12 : 3rd December 2008 at 11:59. Reason: Member's name corrected. Was wrongly spelt.
downsouth is offline   Reply With Quote