Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 16th March 2012, 10:37   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
And I almost forgot to mention my wife's new lid, the AGV K4. The graphics in red look very similar to those of my AGV XR 2. Here, have a look:
Thats a nice lid Manmeet. And here we were thinking that you'd be stuck with four wheels post your wedding.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 19:24   #182

By far the sweetest Fireblade I have ever come across! There are bikes and there are 954's !!
amitgid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 17:10   #183
Team-BHP Support

Just a little bit of catching up:

After we got through the scheudule for Part 1 on the 25K service, I ordered a small packet of parts for Tony to overhaul the brakes, here is what the order looked like:

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-honda-parts.png

Months passed, but still there was no proper riding time I got with the Fireblade, I was restricted to the occassional town ride and that was about it. A few months later my I did end up riding out with my wife, but who was I fooling, it wasn't a ride really, a stroll at tops.

A couple of months passed again and I started showing up at Carters once in a while, even riding out to the airport just out of the blue on a Sunday afternoon. Then it happened, after three consecutive misses, I finally made it to a Sunday morning ride this past weekend. Anku, Insane Roller and a few other familiar facs from the past riding seasons and a whole lot of new ones too. My Fireblade was notably the oldest motorcycle in the group of 25 odd bikes, and it was still keeping up through the straights. I was clearly slow into the corners and even slower on my way out, being out of action really makes it so different and noob like.

Thankfully my new Dainese Pro Out boots hardly required any running in really, and my SP - 2 gloves had finally broken in perfectly into their fourth or firfth ride in 18 months odd. The tires too were feeling nice and chewy, extremely grounded, zilch flightiness in them.

On the way back home I was pushing the Fireblade once in a while and I was riding the 954 better then I have in the longest of time. The acceleration was outright, the feedback from the brakes was suave and the gear was feeling nice too. I also landed up using the tires reasonably well this time around thanks to the long curves, etc, the two year old investment does seem worthwhile now

Name:  Finally making use of the tires..jpg
Views: 2835
Size:  28.3 KB

I spent the week almost acting like a spoof of Kimi, high in spirit over Sunday rides, and then I spotted this:

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-img01195201211101052.jpg

It was a pool of oil, the surface of the wheel could really not hold a lot more than that, and I wondered how could it just happen by itself! I had not ridden after Sunday, and I had not spotted the oil drip until yesterday, and then this happened. A closer look:

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-img01196201211101052.jpg
Name:  The damned tear.jpg
Views: 2643
Size:  22.7 KB

Dropped by the mech next door earlier today, and he has the 2004 - 2007 fork oil seals and dust seals in stock, but we both uncertain if they'd fit right. I offered to search the internet and get back with information. The oem codes are different, and even the fitment on either of the bikes does not show up for the other, but the aftermarket wesbites offer their same part code for both bikes, so we're just going to pop out the tube on Monday morning and see what gives.
manson is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 23:13   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Empty streets on a sensitive day = perfect occasion for the first superbike riding experience of one's life especially a loud 954 with Arata !!
FlyingSpur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 11:05   #185
BHPian

Pics of the ride please, cant get enough of the 954RR , more the merrier
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 14:14   #186
Team-BHP Support

Fortunately the fork pil seal of the 2004 - 2008 Fireblade and the ones for the 2000 - 2003 Fireblade are of the same size despite having different OEM part nos. The mech had a set in stock and the 954 was powering back on the road early last week. Damage to wallet was Rs. 2,100 i nclusive of fork seal, labour and fork oil.
Its good to be spending so much time with the 954 these days

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-img01215201211122232.jpg

I love this side profile picture! Never a fan of the other side, but this one looks sharp on my phone screen.

Name:  My fav left side profile ever.jpg
Views: 2597
Size:  30.5 KB

And after a much needed wash on the morning after Diwali, all smiles

Name:  Finally washed and cleaned up _s.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  29.7 KB

Last edited by manson : 19th November 2012 at 14:15.
manson is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2012, 16:24   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Some Sunday excercise for baba and his baby...

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20121230_074321.jpg

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20121230_074342.jpg

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20121230_074359.jpg

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20121230_074422.jpg

"Oye bas kar yaar, gaadi chalaa tu..."

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20121230_074426.jpg
FlyingSpur is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 14:25   #188
Team-BHP Support

Whatever you may want to end up spend time with, life always has a plan for you, in my case it was being away from the rides for almost a year. Despite the initial burst of rides in the first phase of the riding season last year, I just did not manage to keep up with the Sunday morning schedules.
Even the city rides in the last year or so had dulled out, the work schedule, traffic condition and upkeep (or the lack of) of roads in the city have lead me to a point that its just not fun anymore.

Having moved 10 kms away from our childhood home implied my sports time from the younger years came down, to a point that meant a 10 year gap. The journey to the club was a 25 kms round trip. A couple of months back I started out small, started riding to the club in the mornings for a few quick games of Badminton.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-1230016_10151609108271243_1094793290_n.jpg

The plan was to get back to two things that I really have fun with, Badminton and the 954. Practically empty roads at 6 am made them rides rather nice and peaceful, and on the way back the two wheeled format helped beat the 8 am rush hour traffic to get home in time in order to leave for work.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_0996-large.jpg

Things were getting along fine, and then we hit familiar issues, fork oil leaks. It was not as bad as the last time, but it was only starting now. It was weird for the forks seals to tear so often, I looked closed to find the chrome on the bottom starting to wear our. The mech said we could buff the scratches out, but the pits could remain. Fixing them right was a half chance. I ordered a set of seals for both the forks, this time four. Would save me another facebook post to check whose coming down.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_1647-large.jpg

The seals arrived, and I dropped the bike at the mech on a Monday morning. He was skeptical on the fix being permanent. I immediately looked up ebay.co.uk, and found an almost new set of fork lowers at exactly half the price of new set. A friend was coming down exactly four days later, on Friday. No second thoughts, I ordered them. In the meantime I had checked with hard chrome shop in the vicinity who said they could try stripping the chrome down and rechroming the forks to the original size. Could try that once the forks got here I thought. Told the mech to not bother buffing the forks, we could swap the new ones for now and rechrome the old set for backup.

Name:  T2eC16FHJGgFFme5YBBSCMoPiIUw60_12.JPG
Views: 1771
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  T2eC16RHJIkFHRclRU73BSCMmqLrcw60_12.JPG
Views: 1772
Size:  30.7 KB

The next day the mech called saying we needed a sprocket damper. The only one I could find on ebay was located in UK and the seller confirmed the package could reach my friend the following day. Thankfully the price was equivalent to the American OEM portals. So this was set, fresh forks and new damper would mean a world of a difference.

Name:  _12.JPG
Views: 1822
Size:  13.6 KB

In the meantime, the mech was to get on with the regular service, oil change, coolant change, diesel wash, diagnose wax assembly unit, clean throttle body, etc,

A week later I picked up the 954 on a slightly chilling morning, sounded like another bike. Rode super tight too besides a tiny occasional half beat from one of the cylinders. Mech said one of the spark plugs was shot, mostly because of the worn out diaphragm of the fuel pressure regulator making the bike run rich. I ordered both, a set of plugs and the FPR which are due to arrive early next week.

Hopefully all of this will be a permanent fix and upkeep for the next year or so now, fingers crossed.

P.S. Today is the fifth anniversary of bringing home my 954

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_1781-large.jpg

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_1782-large.jpg
manson is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 18:40   #189
BHPian

Fork tubes tend to worn out with time. Even my F2 tubes were worn out and this was causing the frequent damage of the oil seals. Luckily got the forks of Amit's F3 which were is perfect shape. I see that you have ordered multiple quantities of the oil seals, do these seals have a shelf life or something? Do they dry up and end up useless? I also keep 1 spare set always ready with me but not multiple. Ebay UK get you the real cheap deals. Lets meet up at your work place buddy, once i am back in country
yogisays0909 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 17:13   #190
BHPian

Quote:

Finally the annual update is up!

First things first: loved the last two pics and congratulations on the 5th anniversary.

I have one query though. I have been told that the rear suspension on an SBK doesn't last long. How true is it wrt your blade?
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2014, 17:49   #191
BHPian

Just check this video, this would help you to check your FPR.

http://cbrforum.com/forum/how-103/ho...ulator-129704/
yogisays0909 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 18:11   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Manmeet. She still looks as good as new, thanks to your TLC.

I anyday prefer this generation of superbikes than the current ones which are way too compact. She does look gorgeous and lightning fast even at standstill
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 12:52   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
I see that you have ordered multiple quantities of the oil seals, do these seals have a shelf life or something? Do they dry up and end up useless? I also keep 1 spare set always ready with me but not multiple. Ebay UK get you the real cheap deals.
Yogi, I have only ordered one extra pair for each fork, i.e. two extra pairs. The other two have been hooked on to the new forks. Ebay UK base prices are usally the same, or slightly more expensive but the shipping to India is usually cheaper and considerably faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Lets meet up at your work place buddy, once i am back in country
Sure thing, ping me when you're down next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post

I have one query though. I have been told that the rear suspension on an SBK doesn't last long. How true is it wrt your blade?
I have no idea of the longevity on the suspension, but to give you an idea 954 is just over 28K kms, and so far it is all in place. Also, the suspension life on the same bikes in India may not hold valid considering the remarkably better roads and track days the bikes in the west see compared to our riding regimes here.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 22:22   #194
BHPian

hey,

Thats one sweet machine you have.
For some reason, i always like the older-gen supersports than the present ones which are little compact(however this has its own advantage.

I would like to hear your opinion on two of the upgrades you have done

1. steering dampener :

i am planning to get one for my fz.couldnt find ohlins dampener,G.P.R makes one for fz and it had good reviews over the fz forums.
Would like to know if its a good investment or not,more than this i am little skeptical about adding a third-party dampener on the bike.
Would like to hear about this from you.

2. tyres :

i am running on metzeller tyre now which is almost at the end of its life now(more 1000 kms at max). Now that michelin pilot road2 is also available here,considering that also.
since you are using the same one,would like to hear your opinion about michelin.

Regards,
harsha
harsha.muvva is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 22:16   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post

Thats one sweet machine you have.
Thanks ( 954 takes a bow)!

Quote:
For some reason, i always like the older-gen supersports than the present ones which are little compact(however this has its own advantage.
Yeah tell me about it, the ZX-9R, 929 RR, XX Blackbird, CBR 600 F3, what lovely motorcycles, goes without saying, same here.

Quote:
1. steering dampener :
The GPR is just as great as the Ohlins, I got the the Ohlins simply because I got an awesome deal on the kit.
Coming to the use, initially you will love riding with one, in the city, the highway, at the track, everywhere. But gradually I have started to grow out of it for the city use in the mornings. The damper reduces the feedback from the road, makes the steering way too heavy (especially when you set it at anywhere over 5 clicks out of the 16 on the ohlins) which makes the 954 more physically straining on the arms. Maybe that has got something to do even with my reduced seat time, but I still think having a damper for city use isn't a wise investment.
But if you are going to do Sunday morning sprints, or track the motorcycle, a damper is one of the best investments on the bike after the stomp grips.
On the highways, it will iron out the impact when flying over uneven surfaces, there simply is much lesser nervousness than taking on an uneven surface without warning and not having a damper, the front end can get scary.

But, I supposed most of the new motorcycles came with a steering damper, or was that only specific to the multiple Honda Fireblades I have seen.

Quote:
2. tyres :
Little correction here, I have the Michelin 2CT shod on the 954, and they are AWESOME. I definitely rode better with this set than the last set which I bought the bike with, or even the touring the BT - 020 I bought for my Thunderace. The Michelins wear out faster but grip much better than the Bridgstone stuff I've ridden with.
The Pilot Road 2, and 3 are also supposed to be nice tires, but not exactly in the same league as the 2 CT if you enjoy riding hard once in a while. With a far reduced scheduled on the 954 than in my earlier days, I mostly reside at the rear end of the pack when I occasionally ride out, but the confidence through braking or trying to lean at the milder corners is still intact thanks to the Michelins.

My personal advice is to stick to Michelin and take a call between the 2CT and Road series depending on the newest date of manufacture you can get. The week & year of manufacture are a four digit code embossed on the sidewall of the each tire, and please check the tires for any flat surface as this is a common problem due to sub standard warehousing / housekeeping practices prevalent around here.
manson is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote