Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 22nd February 2014, 01:44   #196
BHPian

Default Re: Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

The GPR is just as great as the Ohlins, I got the the Ohlins simply because I got an awesome deal on the kit.
But, I supposed most of the new motorcycles came with a steering damper, or was that only specific to the multiple Honda Fireblades I have seen.
Most of the new super-supersports(r1,blade,zx10..etc) have steering dampeners.Where as most of the naked's don't have it(fz1..etc).

This is the kind of review i am exactly waiting to hear

Had couple of not so confident inspiring incidents in the regular weekend rides,will get a dampener whenever someone is coming from US!

Quote:
correction here, I have the Michelin 2CT shod on the 954, and they are AWESOME.
Here in hyderabad, i couldn't find anyone selling michelin 2CT. Now that michelin has officially launched their pilot road2 series,availability is not a problem for road2.

I once rode an R1 with michelin 2CT, and must mention that i totally loved them,
having more or less similar experience on the metzeller sportec M5 i am running right now.They are very confident inspiring in the corners. I just don't want to loose out on grip which i am experiencing it now. I am sure 2CT will be as good as M5 if not superior to them.

It is sad that we have very limited options for SBK tyres
harsha.muvva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015, 19:19   #197
Team-BHP Support

I must first apologize to the the Fireblade for spending hardly any time since last year, and to some of you guys who follow this thread in the tiny bursts. 2014 was easily the least motorcycle riding year for me :(

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_7232-large.jpg

Quote:
Rode super tight too besides a tiny occasional half beat from one of the cylinders. Mech said one of the spark plugs was shot, mostly because of the worn out diaphragm of the fuel pressure regulator making the bike run rich. I ordered both, a set of plugs and the FPR which are due to arrive early next week.
Unfortunately, the mech for once was wrong :(
We swapped the fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs and even alternated between the ignition coils, but nothing seemed to rectify that occasional half beat from one or maybe two of the cylinders at the lower idling rpm range. I had to live with it, Tony (my mech) was stumped and I didn't want to start tearing things apart for something so passable.

I did end up riding on two, or actually three occasions last year, the first ride was super, everything felt nice. It was a small setup and the 954 and I had a sweet time.

Name:  1536542_10152391064948015_3967911162688131481_n.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  91.7 KB
Name:  10359547_10152389618538015_6685319309063146790_n.jpg
Views: 2846
Size:  98.1 KB

Through the second ride a couple weeks later, I tried some STP on a fresh tank of fuel to attempt getting rid of the bobbiness in the lower rpm range and early into the ride I figured it was a good idea. The solution had an intermittent adverse effect, the 954 had become extremely hesitant through the mid range. I for the first time turned around from ride without breakfast, without a break. I wanted to burn out the STP dosed fuel at the earliest and tank up fresh as I was unsure on what effect the STP could have had I let it stay any longer in fuel mix. Sure enough, coming close to the lower end of the fuel capacity, the 954 started powering out fine, just how it was prior to the STP additive.

It was all back to being good and comfortable, but I could not think beyond fixing the 954 to the T, the 90% great shape was just not enough, it had to be complete bomb like all over again.

I figured the only way to get around fixing it straight was to start riding the 954 regularly, atleast alternate weekends, so I took off for the third ride.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_7516-large.jpg

And wait for it . . . . . . . I had my first breakdown on the 954. Riding just like it did the last couple of times, it just suddenly shut off, cranking it repeatedly had zero effect. The fuel was top, the fuel pump was priming, surface electricals seemed in place, but it would just not come to life.

It was almost like the Bike Gods were conspiring against me for not having spent much time with the Blade in the last couple of years. Fortunately I was riding with a seasoned group and they helped me tempo the Blade home. Quick google help and I figured it out to a clear error code, it was mostly a loose connection thanks to a pressure wash the weekend before. While waiting for the tempo to show up I noticed that the bike could do with a little finish on the paint which was beginning to peel at the frame.

Besides googling the error code diagnosis, I had no other choice but to be patient. Tony showed up later in the week and as expected it was a broken connection. He lapped it up and asked me to order a spare wiring loom as the weather conditions here had taken its tool and the wiring was beginning to show its age. I order the look in the same week but it was going to take a while before it would reach me. So I did what I had to, waited.

I figured it was pointless waiting for the loom and I could use the time to finish the cosmetics which had started to age, the frame mainly. Took a spontaneous call one evening when I got home early, dropped the bike at Zubin of Zubinn Design. The task was simple, peel off the half peeled / spotty tail piece decals, coat the frame, coat the the stator & clutch cover units and tidy whatever else is no so pleasant.

Due to the Valley Run rush, Zubin took some time to initiate and complete the work.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_9195-large.jpg

. . . . And I wasn't paying much attention to the time either since I had brought home another set of two wheels to have fun!!

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_8766-large.jpg

Somewhere in between the job and the waiting, Zubin and I decided to give the wheels a paint of gold. A big shout out to Rehaan for the suggestion on the gold wheels!!

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_9197-large.jpg

Almost 6 weeks later, I picked the 954 up back from Zubin's place. He had done a sweet job, nothing fancy like his other custom work, very regular by his standards, but I was happy.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_9192-large.jpg
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_9447-large.jpg
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_9241-large.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9447 Large.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1350620

So happy that I started riding around even on weekdays, just enough to keep the 954 happy and moving. This was the dating period, it was fun chilling in the city, riding around once in a while in the relatively cold winter nights.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_9346-large.jpg

The initial thrill from the cosmetic job had begun to settle down, and just then the wiring harness arrived, not without working out the logistics a little as always.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_9894-large.jpg

Duly dropped the bike at Tony’s place, in a few hours he had the 954 all opened up and ready to plug in the new loom when he figured the loom that came down was did not have the hazard lights extension. The next day he had a known electrician work it out and the wiring job went through without any major hiccup after that.

Unfortunately, swapping the wiring harness did not make the best of the 954 and it was still not perfect, as perfect as it should be. The whole working around was getting the better of my patience, but I knew this time around I wanted the 954 prepped to the T, and simply nothing less would suffice.
Some more reading up on the Honda forums pointed out that we had missed out on the shim inspection job commonly carried out at 16,000 – 18,000 miles, pretty much the equivalent of the Fireblade’s 29,xxx odometer reading.

Messaged Tony on the same, he said he wanted to look it up too but was not sure if we could locally arrange a gasket which would be needed once opening it up for the inspection. The sweet joe he is, he managed to arrange a replacement gasket from a friend of his who was returning from Singapore later in the week. In the meantime Tony would open the valve cover up and replace the shims that were running tight. All of this happened a little fast and I was starting to smile, I kind of knew Tony had cracked the issue and all was going to be sorted.

Soon enough, 11 shims were diagnosed to be irregular, these were available locally and we went about the replacement the same day. Shortly after the gasket arrived. He kitted it all up to basics, cranked it, and messages ‘Everything is good, bike is running fine’ Sweet!!

The next morning, the 954 went into haphazard idling, Tony quickly nailed it to dirt that had rubbed down to the bottom of the fuel tank. He cleaned it good, and asked me to order a new fuel filter for the next service. The perfectionist that he is, a visit to Tony can never end without a part list, atleast this time it was just a fuel filter.

For safety sake he wanted to check, and double check on the map I was running on the Blade. I let him keep the bike over that weekend and he installed a couple of different maps available on the Dynojet website, but later came back to Dan Kyle’s relatively richer map which I had been using all these years. It idled a little differently, but made power like no other. The map deserves a special mention here. Even in the sub dose period, the 954 passed a much later year 1000 RR which was a few lengths ahead in the opening edition of the Valley Run. The 954 accelerates past a lot of current crop even today, and I can vouch that has nothing to do with the rider.

Exactly a week ago, a late Monday evening I fetched the 954. The clutch was noticeably beefier, and the power delivery was crisp. Initially I felt like a misfit, 20 meters, thanks to the cycling off late. Within a couple of kms it was all falling into place. I was getting a little comfortable around the 954 again. A few minutes later the front wheel came up just like that without any monster throttle whacking, or even close. I had to tell myself to not do anything stupid and safely ride it home. Sweet ride, no drama repeat, just clean power, louder exhaust note purring through SOBO into Bandra, with the customary Sealink - Carter’s spin.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_1031-large.jpg
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_1033-large.jpg

Parked right into the spot. I was content with the 954, albeit after a very long time. It was that perfect we’ve been through it all emotion.
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_1039-large.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-dsc_9252-large.jpg  

manson is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 01:52   #198
BHPian

And a perfect write up by the master. It was nice meeting you twice in the last week and thanks for spotting out the valve clearance issue on my 954 too. Got it done and the bike runs good now. Hope you enjoyed the ride last Sunday. By the way your 954 sounds better than mine.
yogisays0909 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 15:50   #199
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow, nice to see you back to updating the thread bro. Been a while
Hope you get to ride more this year. The Blade looks as stunning as ever and the gold rims look really nice too.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015, 23:33   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Messaged Tony on the same, he said he wanted to look it up too but was not sure if we could locally arrange a gasket which would be needed once opening it up for the inspection. The sweet joe he is, he managed to arrange a replacement gasket from a friend of his who was returning from Singapore later in the week. In the meantime Tony would open the valve cover up and replace the shims that were running tight. All of this happened a little fast and I was starting to smile, I kind of knew Tony had cracked the issue and all was going to be sorted.

Soon enough, 11 shims were diagnosed to be irregular, these were available locally and we went about the replacement the same day. Shortly after the gasket arrived. He kitted it all up to basics, cranked it, and messages ‘Everything is good, bike is running fine’ Sweet!!

Parked right into the spot. I was content with the 954, albeit after a very long time. It was that perfect we’ve been through it all emotion.
Attachment 1350610
Reading this post made me realize that owing a Superbike needs a very involved owner willing to spend time researching and trouble shooting issues, I was always under the impression that if one had a good mechanic you are golden.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2016, 21:10   #201
BHPian

Spent some good time with Manmeet, solving his PC3 issues. Have a look at the pics and you will find a happy Manson.
Attached Thumbnails
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-img_9790.jpg  

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-img_9789.jpg  

yogisays0909 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2016, 15:35   #202
Team-BHP Support

Its that time of the year again

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20161212_004911-large.jpg
manson is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 19:30   #203
Team-BHP Support

Following the above post I finally got around replacing chain & sprocket Technocrat had brought down for me on this last trip to India. God bless him for that!

What is the fun of having a part replacement without a little drama, and in the midst of the chain replacement Tony called saying the new chain size was different. Couple of message exchanges with resident expert Yogi we ascertained that the earlier set was an aftermarket size and this one is stock spec.
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20161214_212155-large.jpg

As confirmed by Deralte, I did lose 3 - 4 Kmph in each gear ratio, but the 954 apparently is accelerating a shade faster through each gear, this is atleast what the theory suggests

Meanwhile, I ended up riding 3 out 4 Sunday mornings recently, a bit of an achievement for a passive enthusiast that I have become.

Tanked up, tire air pressures checked.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20170212_062612-large.jpg

<<<<<<<<wings up>>>>>>>>
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20170212_072039-large.jpg

The enthusiasm was so high that I rode out solo for breakfast, and returned without a breakfast stop at all
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20170212_081359-large.jpg

Caught up with the regular group the next two weekends.
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20170305_073918-large.jpg

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20161218_083052-large.jpg

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20170305_073818-large.jpg

A friend had recently upgraded from his limited edition Gixxer 1000 for a 959 Panigale, and was yet getting through his running in period. That 959 is so beautiful in person that I could look at one all day.
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20170219_081613-large.jpg

The cockpit & saddle is one full size smaller than the competition too. With all the electronics on board and Ducati's top notch finish this one would surely be a VFM nominee if there ever would be one.

The commonly seen parking lot. I love how Indianised the Sunday Breakfast rides have become. Single pots are a common sight every ride, full marks to the riders going the full length with appropriate riding gear too.
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-20170219_080912-large.jpg

#throwback
Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-img00479201206080637-large.jpg

Last edited by manson : 28th March 2017 at 20:12.
manson is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 10:07   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, I ended up riding 3 out 4 Sunday mornings recently, a bit of an achievement for a passive enthusiast that I have become.
Lovely pics, Mannu. Nice to the 954 back on the circuit. The ducati's are a work of art, so beautiful and like you rightly said, one can ogle at it all day. IMHO however, nothing beats the smoothness and refinement of the Japanese engines. I've heard that the Italian's (bikes) are very much like supermodels, with a mind of their own and very moody and tend to throw a tantrum one too many often.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2017, 16:14   #205
Team-BHP Support

Rode out to Khandala after a long 6 month gap couple of weekends ago. Plan was to ride with a riding mate, but sleep ended up getting the better of me. I was up and ready to leave only by 8 am, by this time the riding mate had opted out.
High on inclination I went ahead with a solo ride yet again, leaving as late at 8 am is far from a typical Sunday morning ride. Good thing is that I was in no tearing hurry for the first time ever as I was already 2 hours late

Name:  IMG_20171119_094637.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  125.9 KB

I think I probably saw and rode a lot more through this ride as there were no faster folks to keep up with or schedules I had to meet.

Name:  IMG_20171119_100645.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  124.8 KB

After a couple of novice pictures at my favourite spot I ran into an amateur photographer at the Khandala ghats who wanted to click a few pictures of the bike.

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-img20171119wa0012-2.jpg

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-img20171119wa0028-2.jpg

Got back as late as 11.30, fortunately the weather was nice and nippy so no complains on that front

Earlier today I dropped by Dr. Yogi's bike hut to troubleshoot a minor earthing fault with the 954.

Name:  IMG_20171209_122347.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  137.8 KB

Little catching up and a short ride with the Viffer, the earthing issue was diagnosed to a dirty earthing connector, tiny dash of WD40 and this was sorted. Thanks for the kind gesture buddy, appreciate it

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-img_20171209_131651-large.jpg

All set for the Sunday morning rides again..

Manson's new ride - Honda CBR 954rr-img_20171209_122624.jpg

Last edited by manson : 9th December 2017 at 18:43.
manson is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote