Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 19th January 2009, 21:04   #1

Default Importing new motorcycles

Hi
Am working in an ad agency. We are interested in importing 4-5 new Harley Davidson motorcycles in our company name. Can somebody on this board advice me on the process? I have visited the customs as well as dgft website but have not found answers for our specific need.

Thanks
EagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 22:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Your company will need import license, if not you will need to get the bikes through an importer.
Biggest issue with HDs is they are not emission compliant with Bhart stage norms , and that the reason Harley Davidson is not allowed to launch these bikes officially.So homologation is required from ARAI or equivelent agency.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 01:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why is your company wasting money on Harley's? They might as well buy the official Suzuki Intruder.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 08:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRider View Post
Hi
Am working in an ad agency. We are interested in importing 4-5 new Harley Davidson motorcycles in our company name. Can somebody on this board advice me on the process? I have visited the customs as well as dgft website but have not found answers for our specific need.

Thanks
Contact your local DGFT Office (Director General Foreign Trade) and check for all the formalities and paperwork required to import, its not as easy as it looks. Automotive's or their parts are subject to re-valuation once they hit the Indian ports and it is deemed that you have under invoiced / under valued your shipment to evade duty. So be clear on all the paper work they need.
I imported a HD-Vtwin TC88A engine a few years back and had a harrowing time with customs, ended up paying fine and penalty to get it cleared even though we had a IE Code (Import Export License) and it was imported in the company's name.
Best of Luck.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 13:02   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

EagleRider, might do you good to go through this extremely informative thread by Rt.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 20:22   #6

Thanks everyone for your replies.

GTO, thats a wonderful thread you have shared. However I could not find an answer there for my query. On the bike procurement aspect it dwells mostly on bikes already in India.

Lucky_13, I intend to have this entire transaction above board, so am hoping we wont have hassles with customs and other agencies.

Dinar, we have applied for an IE code, with that alone can we go ahead and import? The ET article( link below) says the govt has done away with homologation checks for these bikes and meeting euro III emission norms is sufficient. Have I missed anything?

India allows import of American cult bike Harley Davidson- Year 2007-The Economic Times
EagleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 22:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRider View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Dinar, we have applied for an IE code, with that alone can we go ahead and import? The ET article( link below) says the govt has done away with homologation checks for these bikes and meeting euro III emission norms is sufficient. Have I missed anything?

India allows import of American cult bike Harley Davidson- Year 2007-The Economic Times
After getting the code you can officially import ,but the hassles do not go away or reduce they stay, you need to get a good custom clearing agent to do the running around,are you trying to get these bike under any concession for your business ?
That news was a big buzz when it came out but gov still has to clear a lot of small print in the rules for these bikes and hence HD is not officially launching here even though they were the first to approach for such sales here, Japanese have got better product and so they and also ducati was allowed.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote