Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 17th April 2009, 22:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I have seen frame sliders do their thing once, be assured that no kind of saddle bags are going to protect even a fraction of what half a good pair of frame sliders would.
The bike I'm talking about had hardly a scratch on one side of the fairing, no damage other than that. This after the bike fell and rotated a full two circles on the slider. Needless to say, next morning I ordered a fresh pair of sliders for my friend.

manson.
Frame sliders are the way to go.Safest bet to keep the bike from getting damaged when it tips over. Been there,done that ! Lucky for me,nothing happened to my bike.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 01:10   #17
BHPian

i feel you are right. I will also go for slider wanna be safe & only SAFE ! BTW as i had writen earlier that my friend had got frame slider made from lathe guys who made them very cheap but very durable i guess StainlessSteel sliders. If i save money & also get good quality sliders made thru lathe guys is it advisable. Also i dont have access to MT01 sliders in india so i guess if thats the fastest way out. I had contacted slider manufacturers sites overseas & they have some restorations to send to INDIA as they dont sell outside US. As it is there is no harm to save money . Instead of hard plastic material i can get SS sliders !

Last edited by Jonny Bravo : 18th April 2009 at 01:13.
Jonny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 01:55   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Bravo View Post
i feel you are right. I will also go for slider wanna be safe & only SAFE ! BTW as i had writen earlier that my friend had got frame slider made from lathe guys who made them very cheap but very durable i guess StainlessSteel sliders. If i save money & also get good quality sliders made thru lathe guys is it advisable. Also i dont have access to MT01 sliders in india so i guess if thats the fastest way out. I had contacted slider manufacturers sites overseas & they have some restorations to send to INDIA as they dont sell outside US. As it is there is no harm to save money . Instead of hard plastic material i can get SS sliders !
Steel frame sliders get very hot, too soon. I should know, I have a pair hooked on my 954.
The plastic frame sliders are the way to go.
How do you know if your friend's sliders are durable, have they been crash/fall tested already. Besides, if a pair of frame sliders has kept your bike intact even for that one fall, you have in most cases extracted a bucket full of value for them.
Frame sliders are cheap, I would not give up on functionality for durability.

manson.
manson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2009, 10:42   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Steel frame sliders get very hot, too soon. I should know, I have a pair hooked on my 954.
The plastic frame sliders are the way to go.
How do you know if your friend's sliders are durable, have they been crash/fall tested already. Besides, if a pair of frame sliders has kept your bike intact even for that one fall, you have in most cases extracted a bucket full of value for them.
Frame sliders are cheap, I would not give up on functionality for durability.

manson.
Yes he had a fall on it as he told me they were a gr8 saver for his bikes fairing etc etc. As is it SS is definately tougher than PLASTIC in any case

How would the SS sliders geting hot affect me as it is the bike engine area gets hot so that same heat is passed on to SS sliders. any harm if bike falls on HOT SS Sliders ? I am very tempted for SS cost saving work around
Jonny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2009, 23:47   #20
BHPian

Tune your MT01:

Tune My Yamaha MT 01 | 123bee

Ahahaha
Gurpartap Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 08:55   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Bravo View Post
Yes he had a fall on it as he told me they were a gr8 saver for his bikes fairing etc etc. As is it SS is definately tougher than PLASTIC in any case

How would the SS sliders geting hot affect me as it is the bike engine area gets hot so that same heat is passed on to SS sliders. any harm if bike falls on HOT SS Sliders ? I am very tempted for SS cost saving work around
You may want plastic or non durable frame sliders. Steel frame sliders may be very durable and they might take their mountings alongwith them if they go. In a crash something has to give/deform and absorb the impact & abrasion. Plastic is the way to go.

Also keep in mind that steel against tarmac = sparks. If you manage to spill some fuel during the fall then it might cause a fire.

Don't be a miser when it comes to safety, afford the best you can.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 11:32   #22
BHPian

+1

To add to what Sankar has posted, the sliders need to slow the bike down when it's down and scraping across the ground. Steel will not slow it down and will cause things to be a bit more fiery, just like Sankar mentioned. Metal sliders are defeat the purpose of having sliders on in the first place.

The other material being talked about is not plastic. It's a very tough material called Delrin. It is expensive, but the best thing to have on your bike.

For the MT-01, I'd suggest you get swingarm sliders and clutch linkage sliders as well. In the event of a fall, swingarm and clutch linkage sliders = big $$$$$$

All this is going to cost upwards of $250-300.
Rossiter is offline   Reply With Quote