Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 24th December 2014, 14:00   #136

Default Re: Import regulations for bikes

Update on the K12R import under TR.

Hi Folks, apologies for the gap of 4 weeks. I had to travel for work.
Now I am back to actively pursuing the process

Bike cleared the customs, and was delivered in Goa.
Came in good condition with no scruffs/scratches that I could find.

The original battery got drained out and wouldnt take any charge. Had to get a 12v exide battery to get it started. It was great to hear the engine sound

After 3 weeks of follow up, the RTO agreed to drop the homologation demand (I have a downloaded copy of the import/export regulations from the govt. site in case anyone needs it.
@Admin: Let me know if you would want to post the document somewhere on the forum for others).

Currently working on registration/tax calculations etc, trying to make sure I catch the "signing authorities" before they go on vacations.
The RTO chap asked for customs duty payment receipt, but did not talk about having to check with the customs department at their end.

I am hoping I can get the registration done before end of 2014.
Planning to ride it to Chennai early Jan

Thanks for all the help guys. I will update the thread once the process completes.
sidz23 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 15:24   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidz23 View Post

Thanks for all the help guys. I will update the thread once the process completes.
Posting this on behalf of my friend Vinay,

Hey sidz, would you be kind enough to post an update on your bike registration?. I am going though a phase which the RTO in bangalore who is asking for a "EC type approval / COP from accredited agency" for my used Honda VFR 800 FI that i brought back on TR. Any pointers on this aspect would be much appreciated. - Vinay"
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2015, 13:58   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Posting this on behalf of my friend Vinay,

Hey sidz, would you be kind enough to post an update on your bike registration?. I am going though a phase which the RTO in bangalore who is asking for a "EC type approval / COP from accredited agency" for my used Honda VFR 800 FI that i brought back on TR. Any pointers on this aspect would be much appreciated. - Vinay"
Arun,

All the best with the Bangalore RTO.

Where was the VFR 800 bought from? I mean the first sale as new ?

You can write to Honda Motor Cycles with the VIN and the details like where it was forst sold from etc (will be great if you can support it with the original Invoice/Bill of first Sale) and they may oblige you with the the EC Type Approval Certificate.

I had got one for my Bonnieville, from Triumph UK, when I imported it from Doha/Dubai (Attached)

Import regulations for bikes-20150614124126_00001.jpg

Mind you the Triumph obliged and send this to me in May 2013 though the bike was originally sold by them in 2009.

So best bet is to write to Honda and hope for the best.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 18:11   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
So best bet is to write to Honda and hope for the best.

Ram
Thanks a lot for the information, Ram. Here is the update from my friend,

"I have an update. The bike was bought new in Finland in 2004. Wrote to Honda Finland and they issued the EC type approval in 2 days. All they needed is VIN , no fuss. So now all documents are with RTO. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the inputs."
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 17:13   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So now all documents are with RTO. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the inputs."
Thats good news. Hope to meet your friend on road in Bangalore soon.

Did they (RTO) get the Custom's confirmation ? The Bangalore RTO in my case wrote a letter by registered post to Navi Mumbai customs to confirm that the import was all legal and the duty has been paid in full as per the Customs Certificate I had produced to RTO.

The reply took about a month (that too after I got my clearing agent after it with Navi Mumbai Cutoms,

All the best to your friend

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2015, 09:35   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Thats good news. Hope to meet your friend on road in Bangalore soon.

Did they (RTO) get the Custom's confirmation ? The Bangalore RTO in my case wrote a letter by registered post to Navi Mumbai customs to confirm that the import was all legal and the duty has been paid in full as per the Customs Certificate I had produced to RTO.

The reply took about a month (that too after I got my clearing agent after it with Navi Mumbai Cutoms,

All the best to your friend

Ram
Ram, here is the update from my friend,

I've submitted the bill of entry, duty paid receipt and copy of my passport page that was marked by customs officials. But let's see if they need any more information. With some luck, maybe I'll get it registered at least by this year end wink emoticon

Also, i have send you a PM with his contact details.
Old 20th June 2015, 17:43   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Ram, here is the update from my friend,

I've submitted the bill of entry, duty paid receipt and copy of my passport page that was marked by customs officials. But let's see if they need any more information. With some luck, maybe I'll get it registered at least by this year end wink emoticon

Also, i have send you a PM with his contact details.
Two small comments from my side:

-Being a VFR800, I dont know whats the exact engine displacement of this particular bike, but if its less than 800cc, there is a chance they may ask for the ARAI certification from Pune.

-In addition to the docs your friend has submitted, the Koramangala RTO also asked me to give a written request addressed to the Transport Commissioner(whose office is located adjacent to the Shantinagar Bus-station), attaching a separate set of all the same docs you have already submitted to the RTO (entry bill copy, duty paid receipt, pp page copy, EC Approval etc). This letter has to then be approved by the TC, which can take anything from 1-3 weeks depending on how busy he is and it is supposed to 'travel' thru their internal mail system. BTW, its well within the authority of the concerned RTO to approve the registration without the TC's approval, but they just want to make sure the TC gives the approval so they dont get into trouble with DRI or others in future if there is any investigation. Besides, some more sadistic pleasure in making you run to one more additional office!

If RTO is going to keep the original Duty paid receipt in their files, please have the RTO office attest(sign/stamp) a copy of the same 'mentioning they have taken the original', so you can keep this attested copy for your future reference while selling/DRI request etc.

If it helps, I didn't pay a single penny bribe nor use a agent to register the bike. Just that your friend will need more visits to the RTO but yes, its doable without bribing! And once he is done with the whole process, there is a 99% chance, he will say- Thats the first & last bike I am importing
Haroon is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 23:04   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Two small comments from my side:
Thanks for the information, Haroon. Here is the update from my friend,

"782cc, so i am now a vulnerable target. Argh.! Request to TC was sent last week exactly like what you described.

Good tip on getting a stamp on the duty paid receipt. I however got it as a PDF from icegate and only submitted a printed out receipt. But will check on this when the time is right. So far i am doing the processing myself with the help of a known agent in IndiraNagar RTO. Let see. I am already in that state of this is the first and last import, but on the positive side, i have reasonable understanding of the registration process and a potential alternate career choice "
Old 10th September 2017, 11:31   #144
BHPian

Guys, making this thread alive again after years!

I own a 2016 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R KRT edition. I am planning to return to India next year. So, I thought of taking my bike from Europe to India as my bike is well maintained and I would lose some money by selling it before I come back to india.

So I explored the options and through my contacts, got hold of a clearing agent. After speaking to him, I dropped the idea of importing my bike. Some estimates for your info:

Importing a used bike - 166% customs (plus other duty, hand greasing , processing charges extra).
Importing of a new bike - 133.18% customs for bikes above 800cc and 113.53% customs for bikes below 800cc customs - plus additional charges like the above.
The agent would charge me around 75000/-

I also got to know that through Transfer of Residence (TR), you can get the bike created in any of major cities (provided you hail from the state in which this city is located). For non-TR, it can only be done in Mumbai and Chennai.

For used bikes, customs is calculated on the invoice value after depreciation. Depreciation is based on the age of the vehicle @4%/quarter. For TR, the bike should be owned for at least 12 months.

In my case, for a 2016 Ninja 636 CC which retailed @ 13849/-, a customs of ₹14,00,000/-, ₹1,25,000/- duty+misc charges and ₹75,000/- processing charges was quoted.
For a 2017 Ninja ZX10R (I asked this to the agent because I was planning to buy a ZX10R and importing it instead of my current 636) which retails @ 18199/-, a customs of ₹21,00,000/-, ₹1,25,000/- duty+misc charges and ₹75,000/- processing charges was quoted.

In the end, it works out more expensive than the on-road price in India - not to forget the hassles one may have to go through once the bike reaches india. My 2 cents for future enthusiasts :-)
kryogesh is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote