Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 3rd March 2009, 20:24   #61
BHPian

Question Best way of Importing SBK - for an Individual

Hello my fellow bikers,

I'm seriously trying to unravel the mysteries behind the policies and procedures involved in importing an SBK personally (by an individual) to India, and am still not able to get clarity.. The only points I've been able to summarize are from another post about the odd 160% of duty involved for a used bike, and that there's some penalty on importing individually (not sure of that yet).
So I was wondering about the proper sources from where one could go upon following this quest for importing a dream machine.

eBay comes as a really good platform for the same, but there are others like Alibaba.com too, which you may/may not be able to trust and work with.
Kindly put in your 2 cents on each.

I also found this place (BANTENG MOTOR - Products) and was amazed to see the pricing..
Any idea what this could be ?

Regards,
Jas.
jsmonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 21:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

You need a good clearing agent to help you once the bike lands here. Which bike are you planning to get? Didn't you just buy the Katana?
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 21:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

The penalty is nowhere near the duty you will pay so don't worry about the penalty now.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:37   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
As long as you're paying around 140% duty and penalty its fine. If you under value it even a little bit, you're asking for trouble.
I don't think you can undervalue it. Maximum you can try and change the date of manufacture. Essentially, they look up the original value of the bike from the Kelly's Blue Book for the date of manufacture, apply depreciation (upto a max of 70%-for 7 years+) and then apply the duty and other charges.
rpanicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 12:39   #65
BHPian

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
You need a good clearing agent to help you once the bike lands here. Which bike are you planning to get? Didn't you just buy the Katana?
I was planning towards a used R6 or some else litre ones.. I was inquiring for this, just incase I get a good priced deal for some bike abroad.
As for the Katana, yea, it's there, but I'm planning to sell it off.. You should see the ad up in a couple of days..
Old 4th March 2009, 12:54   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I'm not sure about this,but how many people actually buy suck bikes with all the papers being intact?
I took almost two years to find the Thunderace which was a clean import. Thankfully, the 954 happened a lot faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Any rules on how the duty is calculated,say for a bike thats 5 years old? based on the relevant duty on the bike's cost 5 years ago, or more on a current scale of cost?
You are allowed a depreciation of 10% for each year on the original invoice value. The maximum depreciation allowed is for seven years = 70%.
Duty of 160% (applicable for used bikes) is calculated on the depreciated value.

manson.
manson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 12:58   #67
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, you cannot import a brand new or used R6 as it is below 800 cc.

Importing a motorcycle is similar to importing any other commodity. You need to be sure of what the vendor aborad is going to ship to you, be sure he is going ship and isn't a scamcrow. You will most definitely need an efficient Clearing & Forwarding agent to clear your cargo for you. Their services being expensive is a misconception, they are quite cost effective for the service they provide.

Remember:
  • You cannot import a motorcycle below 800 cc, used or new.
  • You cannot import a used motorcycle older than four years from date of manafacture.
  • On a used motorcycle you will be allowed 10% depreciation for each year on the original invoice value, and then further charged an import duty of 160% odd.
  • Further on, once you checkout of the customs, you will mostly pay 21% road tax on cost of bike + shipping + import duty.
IMO you would be better off looking for a clean papers import around here, or a used R1 etc sold officially here in India. Fewer hassles, and you can inspect what you are finally going to end up with.

manson.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:11   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Firstly, you cannot import a brand new or used R6 as it is below 800 cc.

Importing a motorcycle is similar to importing any other commodity. You need to be sure of what the vendor aborad is going to ship to you, be sure he is going ship and isn't a scamcrow. You will most definitely need an efficient Clearing & Forwarding agent to clear your cargo for you. Their services being expensive is a misconception, they are quite cost effective for the service they provide.

Remember:
  • You cannot import a motorcycle below 800 cc, used or new.
  • You cannot import a used motorcycle older than four years from date of manafacture.
  • On a used motorcycle you will be allowed 10% depreciation for each year on the original invoice value, and then further charged an import duty of 160% odd.
  • Further on, once you checkout of the customs, you will mostly pay 21% road tax on cost of bike + shipping + import duty.
IMO you would be better off looking for a clean papers import around here, or a used R1 etc sold officially here in India. Fewer hassles, and you can inspect what you are finally going to end up with.

manson.
Thanks a bunch manson. You're a light in the dark as always..
I guess I just needed that little snap to come back to reality.. Don't know what I was thinking there for a while.
Would just give away my Kat in a while, and probably hope for a better one after some savings..

Cheers!
J.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:41   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Remember:
  • You cannot import a motorcycle below 800 cc, used or new.(does not apply for TR)
  • You cannot import a used motorcycle older than four years from date of manafacture. (does not apply for TR - for not TR it is 3 years)
  • On a used motorcycle you will be allowed 10% depreciation for each year on the original invoice value, and then further charged an import duty of 160% odd.(it is 149% and the depreciation is 16% , 12% ,10% for the first 3 years and 8% thereafter)
Donot forget about a lakh of rs for "documentation fee"
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 19:18   #70
BHPian

That is a wealth of information there. Gurus, could you please a doubt on TR?
I was in US for three years between 2002 and 2005 and another 1 yr 9 months between 2006 - 08. Will I be able to import a new sub 800cc under TR? Thanks in advance for your help!
sudhirbhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 21:43   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
You cannot import a motorcycle below 800 cc, used or new.(does not apply for TR)
That is exactly why I mentioned import. When you bring vehicles down on TR you relocate your belongings, and not import

manson.
Old 5th March 2009, 04:51   #72
BHPian

hi guys, my first post here...
I have been trying to figure out wht it takes to "actually" import a bike into india. back in 2005 i tried really hard to import a 600F4i and even went to the extent of speaking personally with the Indian consul general in DC to understand the import rules. But somehow everything seemed too unconvincing and i didnt want to drive in the dark. There are so many multiple sources which provide conflicting or incomplete info. well, here i'm hoping to see I can figure this out.

This time am looking to import a '06 1000RR
viper9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 12:03   #73
BHPian

Default Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper9999 View Post
hi guys, my first post here...
I have been trying to figure out wht it takes to "actually" import a bike into india. back in 2005 i tried really hard to import a 600F4i and even went to the extent of speaking personally with the Indian consul general in DC to understand the import rules. But somehow everything seemed too unconvincing and i didnt want to drive in the dark. There are so many multiple sources which provide conflicting or incomplete info. well, here i'm hoping to see I can figure this out.

This time am looking to import a '06 1000RR
Cool.. I'm sure you'll get all your doubts cleared reading the appropriate threads here. Though, as said by many earlier here.. why not go for just a new 1000RR here since it's available now! and it's way much better than earlier models
Best of luck on your purchase.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:31   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonu View Post
Cool.. I'm sure you'll get all your doubts cleared reading the appropriate threads here. Though, as said by many earlier here.. why not go for just a new 1000RR here since it's available now! and it's way much better than earlier models
Best of luck on your purchase.
Ye, but its not the same. Its like an attachment with this one....babied it since day one, I'm used to this bike. And moreover, I have some custom mods, and may not be possible to get these mods in India. another reason it makes it all the more difficult to part with :(

For TR, what is the documentation required ? Is it just signing a affidavit with the customs in India with a address change ? Anyone gone through this process ?
viper9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 21:06   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper9999 View Post

For TR, what is the documentation required ? Is it just signing a affidavit with the customs in India with a address change ? Anyone gone through this process ?
Rpanicker and Prabhu have both brought down their motorcycles on TR, I would suggest you tocuh base with either of them if you are serious about bringing down your Honda.

manson.