Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 2nd May 2009, 23:53   #1

Default Advice on buying a 03 Suzuki Hayabusa in Delhi.

Hi Guys,

I am in the market for a 2nd hand super bike and came across this 2003 model Suzuki Hayabusa in East Patel Nagar, Delhi, The guys name is Mickey and the bike has done 7000 odd kms.

I went and took a look at the bike this afternoon - here are the observations:

1. The bikes looks clean and had no apparent structural problems.
2. I have owned and used (self serviced) a hayabusa in the US and could gauge that the bike had not been mishandled and was properly kept.
3. There are some aftermarket accessories included - a 4-2-4 MIG exhaust system, K&N kit and a Powercommander USB III.
4. The tyres have been changed about 200 kms back and loooked good.
5. The guy says that he has been servicing the bike with KRP Naraina in delhi.

Now for the documents:

1. RC Booklet:

* The bike is MH -06 registered (would that be Panvel in Mumbai?)
* The RC booklet is in the name of some George guy who imported it in from Dubai in March 2003.
* The booklet states that its an imported bike, the details given are suzuki 2003 1300cc motorcycle.
* The booklet also states (in handwriting) that the bike cannot be sold for 2 years from the date of registration (18/03/2003)
* The name on the booklet matches the name on the Bill of Lading and Bill of Landing.
* The color of the bike (Blue/Black) matches the color noted on the RC Book.
* The RC booklet at a number of places (and its front cover) mentions the word "imported" in handwriting.
* the RC booklet also quite a few stamps in signatures of various officials in a number of places.

2. Customs Invoice:

There is an original copy of the Customs Invoice and its payment to the Mumbai Customs through an SBI branch.

3. There is a photocopy of the duty estimate and calculation - the total duty paid on the bike is 1,10,000 odd Rs. and the bike has been valued at US$ 3900.

4. There are photocopies of the original sellers passport with photo, name and address pages visible.

5. There is a shipping invoice for the container which mentiones the contents of the crate as a used motorcycle weight 350Kgs.

6. There is an invoice for the octroi paid on the bike in Mumbai - the amount is Rs 8500.

7. There is a set of RTO transfer forms 28,29,30 with Mr. George's signature and no date.

Now my questions for seeking your advice are as follows:

1. What do you guys make of the paperwork - does it seem sufficient to regard the bike as a clean import through TR?

2. Can I get the bike transferred in my name and registered in Delhi based on the papers available in the list above?

3. Is there anything else I should be looking at that I might have missed?

4. The seller is asking for 5.75 lacs for the bike - is that a fair price for a 2003 busa in good condition with 7000 kms on it?

5. Is there anyway to validate his calim of regular service with KRP in delhi?

6. Anyone know the history of this bike - the guy says he is a part of the super bikers group that rides from India gate to the Jaipur highway on sundays. Anyone here from the same group to validate his claim?

I would really appreciate any and all advice you can offer on this issue. Hopefully this thread will also serve as a good resource for the documents one should look at while evaluating an imported bike.

thanks in advance

Ankur Verma
ankurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

The group that he is talking about would be G.O.D.S (group of delhi superbikers). They have a forum but its only accessible to the members who are selected carefully. As for the serivce claims, just contact KRP yourself and provide them the details of the bike.

Hope someone else can help you with the documentation queries.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Do you think for 6 years hes has done only 7000 kms ?

BTW ,are you aware that BUSA is offically sold here now . 12.5 ex showroom. Cant puts 6 laks as downpayment and remaining half as EMI ? , that should get you brand new 2009 BUSA

Last edited by black12rr : 3rd May 2009 at 00:27.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:52   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The TR scheme has been mis-used so often that now its very hard to determine whether it is a genuine TR or not. MH-06 is a Panvel registration and since it has been registered in Panvel, the owner would probably be living in Mumbai with a Panvel address. Check the details of the previous owner and see if such an address really exists or not.

The fact that the current owner has so many papers (Invoices, documentation etc), seems to be a genuine TR. However best to check with someone from the board here who have been through this.

Over to you, Superbikers
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

All said and done, the bike has been undervalued which is pretty obvious. But its the same case with all the bikes.

You shouldnt be paying anything more then 4.5~4.75 for the vehicle. Especially in such times.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:35   #6

thanks for the input guys - I really appreciate it.

@quickdraw - with the bike being undervalued - how difficult will it be to get the registration transferred to my name - any ideas?

also - thanks on the valuation - this is very helpful.

@black12rr - 7126 is the reading on the digital odometer - any ideas on howeasy is it for someone to roll back the hayabusa odometer?

@Deeps - thanks a lot for the info on GODS - I signed up on their forum and posted a query there as well.

please keep the advice coming - this is very helpful.

-Ankur
Old 3rd May 2009, 02:05   #7
BHPian

Why would someone undervalue a TR bike? I was of the impression that TR imports were duty free if you owned it anyway
Raj1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 02:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

If you do get in touch with KRP, then they should also be able to verify the mileage. I believe its not too difficult to rollback digital odometers also. Its good to see you being so particular with regards to the documentation and registration. Most superbikes in Delhi are running on false registration no matter which group they are affiliated to. Good Luck!

P.S.: a silly bit of advice but I hope you will not be verifying the bike condition from Los Angeles.

Last edited by Deeps : 3rd May 2009 at 02:55.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 04:29   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj1008 View Post
Why would someone undervalue a TR bike? I was of the impression that TR imports were duty free if you owned it anyway

You are totally off track, read Prabhuav's post on TR import of a bike

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...tml#post592383
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 05:38   #10
BHPian

If the bike is a 2003 model imported in India in the same year (March 2003) there is no way the bike could have been valued at 3900$, he has grossly under-valued the bike by paying some bribes which means that it is not clean. If ever there is a crack down by DRI (like the recent ones in Mumbai), you may end up in a soup.

AFAIK, the bike must be at least 1 year old to be eligible under TR, which doesn't seem to be the case here (2003 model imported in 2003).

I'd be wary of this bike considering the above facts.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 06:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is the Blue/Black Busa that was on sale on Xbhp too. MH-06 is "PEN" registration. Its got a 4 into 1 exhaust if I'm not mistaken.

You haven't mentioned in which year the bike was imported and registered. In any case, the value shown is very very low if they have shown it as a brand new import. The DRI has every right to impound it.
straight6 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 07:19   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
This is the Blue/Black Busa that was on sale on Xbhp too. MH-06 is "PEN" registration. Its got a 4 into 1 exhaust if I'm not mistaken.

You haven't mentioned in which year the bike was imported and registered. In any case, the value shown is very very low if they have shown it as a brand new import. The DRI has every right to impound it.
He has mentioned that according to the booklet, the bike has a 2003 registration and it was imported in the same year (march 2003) so it's obvious that the bike has been grossly under valued. Like you said, the DRI has every right to not just impound it but also impose a heavy fine on top of that for evading custom duties.
Old 3rd May 2009, 08:17   #13

@astelviz and @straight6 - very valid points. I have been doing some reading and it looks like the bike has to be a year old before it can be imported into the country. I clearly saw the data of registration as March 2003 in the papers and the model was listed as 2003.

Also - the RC clearly said used imported bike, not a new one - so that's a huge negative. Thanks for taking notice of this.

Thinking out loud - shouldn't the duty be in the range of $4000 as well - taking an exchange rate of rs 45 to a $ (in 2003), the duty paid looks like $2500. Is that a negative point as well?

The general consensus seems to be that the bike is grossly undervalued - that will in itself create problems while transferring in my name. I think I will stay away from this one.

But I would like to carry this discuss forward with regards to the papers taking this bike as an example - I have read all the superbike threads on team-bhp and xbhp , but have not come across a thread listing all the papers that should be present in a clean import along with the details. Hopefully a complete discussion regarding this bike papers, with valuable comments from all members, will help us understand the issue with examples.

thanks a lot again for all your help folks.

-Ankur
Old 3rd May 2009, 13:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think you should avoid this bike. Its a big risk right now or even later. If this was as clean as it should have been, it would have been more expensive too.

Last edited by straight6 : 3rd May 2009 at 13:42.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 16:09   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurv View Post

Thinking out loud - shouldn't the duty be in the range of $4000 as well - taking an exchange rate of rs 45 to a $ (in 2003), the duty paid looks like $2500. Is that a negative point as well?

-Ankur
If it's a 2003 registered model imported in the same year, the duty would be more like 10,000$ and nowhere near 2500$ that he has paid. AVOID!