Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 25th May 2012, 14:04   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: DRI Action on Superbikes In Kochi!!

Not just Customs and DRI but Police and RTA may also sieze the bike for not having Indian Registration. Actually Customs and DRI concern themselves with Customs duty only whereas RTA / Police look out for valid Indian registration.

However, I have seen many cars / bikes bearing foreign registration plates travelling through the country ( mostly Europeans on expedition to explore India ) but they are not stopped. May be they declare in advance and obtain permission. In the present case in Cochin, may be the foreigner not only did not seek prior pemission but also probably did not have even overseas papers. Only in such cases is bike seized.

If he had all the bike papers and if he had sought Customs permission to bring the bike ashore for repairs, I'm sure it would have definitely been granted subject to furnishing of some bond / bank guarantee which are generally handled by Custom House agents.

And, Phamilyman, I agree with you.

Last edited by pgsagar : 25th May 2012 at 14:06.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 12:05   #257
BHPian

Default First ever DRI seizure of a SBK in Kerala

Some years ago, if you ever wanted to spot the ever so elusive super-bike in Kerala, you might as well search for Micheal Jackson or Bruce Lee, because you had better chance of finding a them than a proper super-bike.

The last couple of years have seen a world of a change. The bikes have become accessible through the showrooms of their respective brands for those who have big and deep enough pockets. With the arrival of Harley-Davidson it just got bigger and louder. This also meant a boom in sales of the grey/illegal super-bikes. These grey bikes have enough customers because of their lower sticker price and availability. Just make a quick run to our neighboring state, pick one up for half or less than a person would pay for the new invoiced bikes and ride it back home. If you are luck enough you will find one just in the state.

The bikes came into the limelight for all the wrong reasons, crashes, speeding, stunting. The cops were also on the trail of these bikes, because of public outcry over the above reasons. Some bikes involved in all these were impounded but was back on the streets faster than you could say 'Geronimo'. The bikes were back with the owners once the 'fine' was paid and you could happily ride away into the sunset. This has been the norm for quite a while. The cops never had the muscle and man power to hold the fort down. I guess that's when the dreaded "Directorate of Revenue Intelligence" came into the picture. We are used to hearing bikes getting impounded by the DRI in the metros but never expected them to come knocking doors down in Kerala, especially Kochi. This happened last week, a 2008 Yamaha R1 was impounded by the DRI. The first ever reported case in Kerala.

Something similar had happened a year back when a Blackbird was picked up the customs, but that was for entirely different reason. The R1 was picked up from Kaloor junction while it was parked. We all know what this is going to be like for the poor yammy. Stashed in a dark cold place without any proper care, the yammy will have to wait for a slow and terrible demise. There is a general panic in the super-biking community in Kochi because of this sudden and unprecedented action. The grey's are running for cover. An eerie silence has descended upon the streets of Kochi. Bikes will be sold off at throw away prices, people pick them up thinking about the money they saved and the DRI swoops in picks them up like bird of prey.

If you have the liking for these beauties plan and save enough money to buy one from the showroom. Why to forgo peace of mind for the savings in money. If you can put your hard earned money on the grey bikes, why not use that cash as down payment for a new ride from the showroom and pay the rest of it through EMI's. We need to think before we act people. Ask yourself if all the hassle and trouble is worth for a few miles of happy riding. Ponder on it for a while and make an informed decision before you put the money down.

Cheerio.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th April 2013 at 14:30. Reason: Adding paragraph spacing for easier readability.
Dr.Awesomeness is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 13:20   #258
BHPian

Default Re: First ever DRI seizure of a SBK in Kerala.

It felt like i was reading a story book! Could you please split it into multiple paragraphs?

Could you let us know why the blackbird was picked up? Im quite curious. I only heard it came off a boat illegally for a 'tuneup'!

BTW, you do write well!

Cheers!
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 16:42   #259
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: First ever DRI seizure of a SBK in Kerala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Awesomeness View Post

If you have the liking for these beauties plan and save enough money to buy one from the showroom. Why to forgo peace of mind for the savings in money. If you can put your hard earned money on the grey bikes, why not use that cash as down payment for a new ride from the showroom and pay the rest of it through EMI's. We need to think before we act people. Ask yourself if all the hassle and trouble is worth for a few miles of happy riding. Ponder on it for a while and make an informed decision before you put the money down.

Cheerio.
Actually, there is no peace of mind motorcycling in this country. Trust me, you can buy a brand new indian invoice imported bike and ride it with full gear and helmet and ride it sedately and YOU CAN STILL BE PULLED OVER BY "i-am-the-law" cops and fined. One such guy in Hyderabad riding an indian invoice R1 with full gear was stopped for riding a bike with "modified FAT tyre" and he was let off only on paying fine. The reason, cop said, racing bikes are not allowed on streets. Beat that.
Old 20th April 2013, 17:05   #260
BHPian

Default Re: DRI gets cracking on Mumbai superbikes. Edit - Now other cities across India

The DRI I guess are just doing their job. Reproducing a snippet from http://dri.nic.in/

Quote:
With the process of economic liberalisation having gathered momentum there have been significant changes in the nature of smuggling and tax evasion. While there has been reduction in conventional smuggling due to liberalisation of import regime and reduction in rates of duty, there is no respite in commercial frauds by way of misdeclaration/undervaluation of imported goods and misuse of export promotion schemes.
They are just out to collect the duties that were expected to have been paid in the normal process of events. The fabled whip is being cracked only on suspected evaders.
latentpotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2013, 17:46   #261
BHPian

Default Re: DRI gets cracking on Mumbai superbikes. Edit - Now other cities across India

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
It felt like i was reading a story book! Could you please split it into multiple paragraphs?

Could you let us know why the blackbird was picked up? Im quite curious. I only heard it came off a boat illegally for a 'tuneup'!

BTW, you do write well!

Cheers!
Thank you for the compliment, appreciate that. Somehow was not able to split them into individual paragraphs, but our mods have done that for me. Now coming back to your question, the Blackbird came to Kochi on yacht and the bike had some mechanical problems. The owner, a foreign national knew a very good mech in Kochi and he took the bird to him for some much needed attention. That's when the all hell broke loose, the customs scrambled their gypsy's and came running to the garage where the bike was. Shackled her, threw her on the back of an ape and dragged her back to dark, wet dungeon "The warehouse". The bird was released after the owners intentions were understood by the officials. Never heard of the bird again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Actually, there is no peace of mind motorcycling in this country. Trust me, you can buy a brand new Indian invoice imported bike and ride it with full gear and helmet and ride it sedately and YOU CAN STILL BE PULLED OVER BY "i-am-the-law" cops and fined. One such guy in Hyderabad riding an indian invoice R1 with full gear was stopped for riding a bike with "modified FAT tyre" and he was let off only on paying fine. The reason, cop said, racing bikes are not allowed on streets. Beat that.
Amen to that. We were stopped by cops on our way back from Bangalore to Kochi. We were on 3 pristine Japs. The only reason they could come out with for stopping us was we had riding jackets and knee pads on. They said we were racing on the highway and fined us 500 each. Another unit of Highway patrol caught us on the speed gun doing 120 on 90 zone and the rest is your guess as to how everything went down. We clicked some pics with the cops, gave the inspector the keys to the FZ1 in the group and had tea with the unit. The inspector was scared to ride, took him for a spin with him as pillion and we were let off. We just couldn't believe the irony in our 2 encounters. Guess it was our unlucky and lucky day.

Last edited by Dr.Awesomeness : 20th April 2013 at 18:10.
Dr.Awesomeness is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 00:09   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Amen to that. We were stopped by cops on our way back from Bangalore to Kochi. We were on 3 pristine Japs. The only reason they could come out with for stopping us was we had riding jackets and knee pads on. They said we were racing on the highway and fined us 500 each. Another unit of Highway patrol caught us on the speed gun doing 120 on 90 zone and the rest is your guess as to how everything went down. We clicked some pics with the cops, gave the inspector the keys to the FZ1 in the group and had tea with the unit. The inspector was scared to ride, took him for a spin with him as pillion and we were let off. We just couldn't believe the irony in our 2 encounters. Guess it was our unlucky and lucky day.
See? This is what I meant. Cops draw their own inferences. There are some cops you cannot reason with. Pay the fine and move on. Or, if you are the son of a politico, he moves on. Cops do not seem to like super-bikers. Even general public does not seem to like super-bikers. Is it jealousy at work? I don't know but I have seen that someone riding a 15 lakh bike is loathed more than someone driving a 1.5 crore car. Why is that? Ironically, superbikers in India are mostly disciplined riders. They ride responsibly and gear up and do not resort to antics that the 100-250 cc bikers indulge in.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 16:17   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Cops do not seem to like super-bikers. Even general public does not seem to like super-bikers. Is it jealousy at work? I don't know but I have seen that someone riding a 15 lakh bike is loathed more than someone driving a 1.5 crore car. Why is that? Ironically, superbikers in India are mostly disciplined riders. They ride responsibly and gear up and do not resort to antics that the 100-250 cc bikers indulge in.

I think its a combination of 60% jealousy and 40% generalization that all sbk riders are 'irresponsible riders' having rich parents. Although, there is a good majority of sbk riders that ride with gear and responsibly, sadly I see a lot of sbk riders on the road (also in the Sbks spotted in India thread), that ride with hawaii chappals, sandals, t-shirts, no helmets etc. Have also seen some over revving their engines with loud exhausts simply in stop & go traffic to gather attention. A few bad apples are enough to spoil the lot, esp in a country where in addition to the standard, what price & mileage question, sbk riders have to also hear comments such as 'for that price you could have bought a bus or a car' or 'you pay so much for a bike and it only gives a mileage of 15kpl...'
Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 11:43   #264
Senior - BHPian

Motorbiking in India has always served one single purpose - Commuting.

It has never been for pleasure (barring a handful of enthusiasts) and while the culture is changing to Pleasure Biking from Commuting, the general public and the cops are yet to make this shift.

I've been stopped countless times, just because i was fully geared while i was on my 250. Forget about fat tire or superbike-like sound. I was also well within speed limits.

I've had to explain to the thick headed cops that abroad it is the law (you have to be geared up while on a bike) since the govt. cares for it's citizens and insurance companies demand riders to wear protective gear, but here we are responsible for ourselves. Some people do not even wear helmets for pete's sake and if at all they do, it's some cap type cheap lid or a dog's feeding bowl with a chin strap.

If i was not geared and had only a helmet for so called protection - a cheap ISI replica coconut shell for my skull, i might not have been stopped.

The general perception is that if a biker is geared up, he is ready to race, because everyone else is only wearing a helmet (where the rule is enforced).

It's going to take a lot of education and awareness for people to change this perception. All we can do is gear up and ride for our own safety.

Last edited by n_aditya : 22nd April 2013 at 11:45.
n_aditya is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2013, 01:40   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Some people do not even wear helmets for pete's sake and if at all they do, it's some cap type cheap lid or a dog's feeding bowl with a chin strap.
Agree entirely with what you have written, and it is indeed frustrating!

But I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this line in your post "Dog's Feeding Bowl with a chin strap"

Nobody in Hyderabad wears those kind of Helmets. I have only seen lots of them in Bangalore.
Joxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 23:23   #266
BHPian

Latest update from Kochi about the DRI action on super-bikes.

DRI is not just targeting the Greys but also the proper Indian invoiced legit bikes. Just today, I had to make an unpleasant ride through Bangalore traffic to Haiku motors showroom in Old Madras Road for the original invoice of a CB1000R. Unpleasant due to two reasons, one, the traffic was out of this world and two, it kinda dampened my spirit as a biker because, come what may, pay your taxes, you are still gonna be hounded by "THE MAN" / DRI. My friends 2010 CB1000R was impounded by the DRI saying we dint have proper docs to prove the bike is an Indian invoice. We had the RC, tax and insurance papers. DRI said since the bike's got a KA plate on it,they suspect the bike to be a grey import. They were not even ready to listen to my friends pleas about the bike being an Indian invoice bought from a friend in Bangalore. The DRI guys said that the bike should always have the original docs on them when ridden as to avoid future troubles. They said they were ready to let the bike go only if we are able to produce the original invoice of the bike. After much debate, DRI officials said they knew the bike was legal but had to have the invoice copy for further clarification before they could let the bike go.

Frantic calls were made to Haiku Honda, spoke to a very knowledgeable guy, who was kind enough to spent the later part of the day trying his level best to get the docs for us. Finally got the docs by evening and express couriered it to Kochi. Everyone can forget "The peace of mind" tag attached to the legits now, because it seems no one is safe from the DRI. This was not a one off case, there were other legit bikes too who had to go through all this trouble including Harley's, Aprilia and Ducati and other Japs too. What has the world come to brethren? What has this world come to..

Dr.Awesomeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2013, 00:02   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What has the world come to brethren? What has this world come to..

Not sure about the world but this country sure has..... Now what is the point of paying full taxes and buying legit bikes and gearing up and donning helmet and then being pulled up by cops? I think all big bike makers should shut shop and move out of this country. Cops just look for an excuse to issue challans. They are given a target amount to fill govt. coffers. Can you imagine that? In coming days you might as well be challaned for not addressing him as "your highness".
Old 16th May 2013, 11:15   #268
BHPian

all said & done i am not willing to pay 2 & a half times the price for a bike in India for the conditions,roads are not made for these bikes & highways are definitely not meant for them
nandishpal is offline   Reply With Quote