Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 19th June 2009, 18:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

This is precisely what I had been harping about in the R15 threads on xbhp.com. Yamaha India's after sales service is pathetic to say the least.

If they cannot isolate a problem on their commuters like the YBX, etc, how will they ever get their act right on a R1.

I was even ridiculed for criticizing Yamaha's A.S.S but now the results are here for all to see.

Yamaha India must first open dedicated service centers for their SBKs with qualified "Engineers" to run the show/service rather than shady dealers and greasemonkeys who are convinced that a four stroke cannot be rebored(yes, it happened with the service supervisor in Bangalore wheels).

About Akhil's case, it is high time Yamaha replace/completely rebuild the engine/motorcycle. For heaven's sake, we pay more than double the price for the R1.
JayPrashanth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 04:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

The service manager at the Malad showroom has come from Ford or Chevrolet. Can't remember the exact brand but he's from some car showroom. My point is, if the service manager doesn't know anything about normal bikes, forget the SBK's, what do you expect? This applies for the sales manager as well.

I say this because I knew the previous service manager very well and he had recommended me to Yamaha as they needed someone to specifically take care of the CBU's. I gave an interview to the "all India manager" of Yamaha showrooms and never got any reply from them. Eventually, they didn't hire anyone for that post. It just goes to show their attitude towards these bikes and their customers who buy them.

Last edited by straight6 : 20th June 2009 at 04:59.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 08:11   #33
BHPian

Rossiter and I are meeting with a few execs from Yamaha this afternoon to discuss our concerns and to try and find a resolution. The results may have a small circle of impact because the whole system needs a revamp to benefit everyone. My suggestion to other Yamaha customers is to hold the dealer responsible and be forceful. Remember that you are dealing with management from the 70s and you really have to push the issue using every means available to you if you want justice.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 18:05   #34
BHPian

Well, how did the meeting go? Waiting to hear some positive information.
discoverwild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 07:25   #35
BHPian

10 days gone, no news as yet?
Old 1st July 2009, 14:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry about the delayed response. The outcome of the meeting was slightly positive. The Yamaha officials, while apologetic, did seem a bit evasive in areas like the warranty, service level commitments etc. It was clear the dealer also was not able to get adequate support from the company, and it was left to GS and me to do the talking.

We discussed the issues for a good 1.5 hours, and expressed our anguish at how pathetically things have been going on for the past 3 months. They accepted the mistakes, and took our suggestions on improving things.

I also pushed for the complete set of valves to be changed, as against only the damaged valves. Reason being that now that a new head is going on, the old valves cannot be used, as it will most definitely cause leakage and again I'd be losing compression.

That was also accepted.

The Yamaha officials were/are not forthcoming on the warranty aspect, which was my biggest worry. Finally, after repeated followups to htat meeting, I got confirmation over the phone that it will be done under warranty, but when I emailed them detailing this phone conversation, I got a reply that it has been "principally accepted, but pending final decision of the service head". So I am in limbo again.

It has been a very cumbersome process dealing with them. I feel like I'm pulling out a tooth, or trying to uproot a tree with my bare hands.

Anyway, the new valves are due to arrive on Saturday, after which the people concerned will fly down for the repairs, most likely on 7th. They are saying it should be up and running by the next week, but I am not so sure. Let's see how things go, I will keep updating the thread.

Here are some pics of the head in the meantime.
Attached Thumbnails
My Yamaha R1 woes - Engine troubles EDIT - Now Resolved-dsc_0994.jpg  

My Yamaha R1 woes - Engine troubles EDIT - Now Resolved-dsc_0996.jpg  

My Yamaha R1 woes - Engine troubles EDIT - Now Resolved-dsc_0998.jpg  

My Yamaha R1 woes - Engine troubles EDIT - Now Resolved-dsc_0999.jpg  

My Yamaha R1 woes - Engine troubles EDIT - Now Resolved-dsc_1000.jpg  

My Yamaha R1 woes - Engine troubles EDIT - Now Resolved-dsc_1001.jpg  

My Yamaha R1 woes - Engine troubles EDIT - Now Resolved-dsc_1002.jpg  

My Yamaha R1 woes - Engine troubles EDIT - Now Resolved-dsc_1003.jpg  

My Yamaha R1 woes - Engine troubles EDIT - Now Resolved-dsc_10061.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st July 2009 at 14:47. Reason: The attachemenst show up automatically once uploaded, please avoid putting them in postusing IMG tag. Thanks
Rossiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 10:46   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossiter View Post
I also pushed for the complete set of valves to be changed, as against only the damaged valves. Reason being that now that a new head is going on, the old valves cannot be used, as it will most definitely cause leakage and again I'd be losing compression. That was also accepted.
This is absolutely correct on your part.

Quote:
The Yamaha officials were/are not forthcoming on the warranty aspect, which was my biggest worry. Finally, after repeated followups to htat meeting, I got confirmation over the phone that it will be done under warranty, but when I emailed them detailing this phone conversation, I got a reply that it has been "principally accepted, but pending final decision of the service head". So I am in limbo again.
That's just a bunch of b***sh*t. If they need the final decision of the service head, then it should have been he who should have come to meet you in the first place. Write about this to them. We don't need marketing heads to come and nod their dumb heads to everything we say and then go on to tell us that we accept everything in principle blah, blah, blah.

Quote:
It has been a very cumbersome process dealing with them. I feel like I'm pulling out a tooth, or trying to uproot a tree with my bare hands.

Anyway, the new valves are due to arrive on Saturday, after which the people concerned will fly down for the repairs, most likely on 7th. They are saying it should be up and running by the next week, but I am not so sure.
Don't lose hope. Remember Harish fighting Skoda for over a year now. Bring Yamaha down to their knees.
Old 16th July 2009, 12:57   #38
BHPian

Finally got my bike back last evening. The quality of work carried out was impressive, even though it was abysmally slow.

The R1 feels a bit wound up, and is popping louder than normal when I roll off the throttle. Other than that the bike is fine. I have to run the valves in to make sure the seating is proper, and that's about it.

I have had no word about the warranty etc. As of now, just riding around.
Rossiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 13:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!

Great to hear that the bike is back and running. Enjoy!!
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 13:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Finally! I've been following this thread for a while and the story only seemed to get darker except in the last few posts. Happy riding.
BTW, do you intend to follow up with Yamaha on the suggestions you've made? I'm sure it will all be forgotten sooner than later by them.
How do the Honda owners fare in this regards? Does Honda treat the bikes any better?
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 14:40   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Phew Thats good to know Akhil

Do keep us posted on your R1 experiences here
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 15:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

After reading the entire thread and the R15 complaints in another forum and esp. from a friend of mine from that forum. Yamaha is also eliminated from my future purchases. If I start removing manufacturers like this(I have already eliminated Suzuki, Bajaj, TVS, Royal Enfield), probably I will be left with the trusted hero cycles / hero ranger. BTW, hero honda is also having trouble with certain spare parts for their flag-ship model Karizma!!! : phew :
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 17:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
After reading the entire thread and the R15 complaints in another forum and esp. from a friend of mine from that forum. Yamaha is also eliminated from my future purchases. If I start removing manufacturers like this(I have already eliminated Suzuki, Bajaj, TVS, Royal Enfield), probably I will be left with the trusted hero cycles / hero ranger. BTW, hero honda is also having trouble with certain spare parts for their flag-ship model Karizma!!! : phew :
A little OT but i don't think nyone depends on RE for the servicing. So its ok to get RE back on your list. I've lived without having to do anything with RE post my purchase 3yrs ago.
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote