Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 18th August 2010, 15:31   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sorry, I couldn't understand much out here; did you mean turbo design as the air filter box design or something else? Because, I'm under the impression that the air filter box contains only a standard round air filter as part of intake manifold or does it contain something else? Or are you talking about screaming eagle? Pls educate. Tks.
I'm talking about design and manufacture of a turbo charger using some existing workable design(s). We have already started the process, design is almost 70% complete.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 10:50   #152
BHPian

Default TOP END: Cylinder Install

A lot of work got done on the Engine, Transmission and Chassis during the prolonged holiday season. All missing parts were procured or produced. Starting with the engine... shoving of the piston in the cylinder head is done by compressing the piston rings and was a tricky one, we improvised desi worm clips to do the job. It took a few trials plus some patience but eventually we managed with this Rs. 18 cool tool.
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-1_0.jpg
Name:  1_2.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  131.2 KB

The crankcase getting ready.
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-1_3.jpg

A Side shot
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-1_4.jpg

The next one also fits
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-1_5.jpg
Old 11th November 2010, 11:10   #153
BHPian

Default TOP END: Head Install

Somehow, we missed taking pics during the head install. Had to make do with screen shots of the video, sorry for the poor picture quality.
  • Gasket install on the cylinders
    Name:  2_1.png
Views: 2030
Size:  483.6 KB
  • Head placements over dowel pins
    Name:  2_2.png
Views: 1985
Size:  307.8 KB
  • Bolt install
    Name:  2_3.png
Views: 1955
Size:  433.3 KB
  • Torque
    Name:  2_4.png
Views: 1952
Size:  399.1 KB
  • Done
    Name:  2_0.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  144.1 KB

No special tools used during this process, actually quite simple. Basic requirements were some patience, a bit of loctite and a leap of faith.
Old 13th November 2010, 18:21   #154
BHPian

Default TOP END: Rocker chrome cover install

The second last piece in the puzzle, rocker covers.

First, installing the base of the rocker cover on the head
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-1_0.jpg

Next, torque all bolts to spec
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-1_2.jpg

Install the rockers, breather and the gasket
Name:  1_3.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  165.9 KB
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-1_5.jpg

And 'close the lid', simple! Illustrated here with the pushrods also installed.
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-0_1.jpg

Last edited by luky_13 : 13th November 2010 at 18:22.
Old 13th November 2010, 19:25   #155
Senior - BHPian

B.E.A.utiful to watch them. Just 2 days ago I was thinking as why you haven't updated this thread when you were replying on the other HD thread & here you've updated them. Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky13
design and manufacture of a turbo charger using some existing workable design(s)
So what advantage does this have over stock airfilter box?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 19:40   #156
BHPian

Quote:
So what advantage does this have over stock airfilter box?
Without going into the technical stuff, the turbo will help pack some 25 extra ponies to this monstrosity of an engine. This will be done post the Stage 1, Stage 2 and Stage 3 upgrades - Air filter , Free-flow exhaust and Performance mods.
Old 14th November 2010, 01:33   #157
BHPian

I have been reading this thread since it started but had been silent. Man, you are one passionate dude.!!!! HATS OFF to you sir.

And more so you have been chronicling all the details of the build up which is exemplary.

I seriously hope that you somehow manage to get it registered by the R.T.O so that you can take it out and enjoy. Seriously waiting to see the final product. And i am sure it is and will be one of a kind in India.

ALL THE BEST.
BIG SARAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 06:20   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG SARAN View Post
I have been reading this thread since it started but had been silent. Man, you are one passionate dude.!!!! HATS OFF to you sir.

And more so you have been chronicling all the details of the build up which is exemplary.

I seriously hope that you somehow manage to get it registered by the R.T.O so that you can take it out and enjoy. Seriously waiting to see the final product. And i am sure it is and will be one of a kind in India.

ALL THE BEST.
Yeah, i realize and lot of people have told me that i have been badly bitten by this bug. The only cure is to get this thing on the road, 'grab life by the bars' and 'feel the wind'. This in fact is my modest attempt to just do that.
Old 14th November 2010, 08:49   #159
BHPian

Default 5-speed transmission

The next hurdle, 5-speed transmission. Interestingly the transmission market for choppers, cruisers and harley's is quite large in the west. A tear down will reveal that most harley owners end up either replacing or upgrading their tranny within the first 18 months of ownership. Not because they don't work, but because it has become 'cult'. Premium brands being Baker, JIMS, S&S, Delkron etc. Ranging from $1500~$3500. Back in the day stock harley tranny's were 4-speed, moving over to 5-speed in late 80's. The current generation HOG's sport 6-speed. There are hordes of upgrade options available that let you improve the stock setup starting from 6 speed overdrives, direct drives, right side drives, torque boxes... from wrinkle black finish cases to glistering chrome jewelry boxes... you dream it, they have it.

To keep things simple, I opted for a 5-speed stock tranny and I rebuilt the thing from scratch to my satisfaction.
Old 14th November 2010, 16:24   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
The next hurdle...you dream it, they have it.
Tks for the education, but I thought the older gearbox of Fatboy would be a direct fit isn't it? Let me explain my understanding...

Your current 88cu engine were using 5 speed gearbox, however, the current models comes with 96cu & 6 speed gearbox with the helical cut 6th gear.

So if you're able to get hold of the older 5S gearbox of 88cu engine, then that should be a direct fit isn't it? On the other hand, pls don't tell me you're going to construct the gear box by yourself

How about the clutch assy? Any plans on how you're going to manage it?
Old 14th November 2010, 19:44   #161
BHPian

Quote:
So if you're able to get hold of the older 5S gearbox of 88cu engine, then that should be a direct fit isn't it? On the other hand, pls don't tell me you're going to construct the gear box by yourself
You have done your homework well my friend.I could have bought a stock 5speed and it would fit, but it would have cost me more than 1 lac landed. The only thing that I don't have in abundance is vitamin M. So what I did was picked the gear set a couple of years back on eBay for $170 and a little later bought the tranny case seperately in another eBay auction (this was off a wreckage, but case was intact) for $200. Then last month I bought a tranny rebuild kit from HD for $60. Total money spent $430, now watch the tranny build!
Old 14th November 2010, 22:32   #162
BHPian

Wow.. You have determination and skill (lots of it)..
I just have one question : HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS STUFF? I mean procuring each and every part and then assembling the whole thing?
akshaymahajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 22:36   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I just have one question : HOW DO YOU KNOW ALL THIS STUFF? I mean procuring each and every part and then assembling the whole thing?
Good question.

I'm under the assumption that @luky_13 has a workshop manual and/or parts catalogue of 88cu Fatboy. He must've purchased it from HD USA. I cannot ask him the question on how he managed to get a 88cu engine & that too last year

Edit - See my assumption is right, look at this post where he says...
Quote:
i have parts and service manuals from 2002 ~ 2007 on all softail and touring harley models

Last edited by aargee : 14th November 2010 at 22:44.
Old 15th November 2010, 11:08   #164
BHPian

Default 5-Speed, Stock Transmission

Time for the tranny build.

Main drive gear
The main drive gear is lubed and installed by gently knocking it with a mallet and a piece of wood into the drive bearing till it bottoms out. Checked for free rotation. Cleaned the mating surface and installed the gasket. The drive bearing oil seal and o-ring are installed.
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-g_1.jpg
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-g_2a.jpg
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-g_2.jpg

A joint family photograph, seen here from left to right... Transmission housing, Shifter cam (background), Gear set mounted on the side door. Cheese !
Dreamweaver build-off: HD Fatboy-g_3a.jpg
Old 15th November 2010, 11:22   #165
Senior - BHPian

I'm still wondering how you're going to manage one of the expensive part - clutch assembly!!! I'm sure you'll have tough time constructing the friction plates & clutch plates, how about the other parts such as primary drive & main drives?