Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 7th October 2009, 11:57   #1
BHPian

Default Ridin a Harley in India

i'm planning to bring my HD to India.
I saw the post where a VROD banged the splendor.
Now I'm really scared to bring it. I know my limitations and I'm a good rider but as such the 3 wheelers dont give a damn attitude and ride as if they are the only ones on the road. To add insult to injury you have drunk riders/drivers in all sorta driving machines.

So will it really help me bringing it to India and enjoy the good ol' country side on my HD?
shrini78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Riding a Harley will be a difficult task , but riding it with in the country roads will be an awsome experince , riding it in town along with the 3 whelers will be pain full.

The recent accident adds to it
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:18   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Wouldnt it be pricey coz of customs duty?
2) Sad about the VROD, it could have been someone's car or a bike or even a person who met the Splendor.

Just coz there are careless people or just coz you gonna be riding a costly bike isnt gonna change what some people do. Also, you know we dont have extra wide roads and how traffic is at Chennai

I wont be surprised to see people who would love to race when they see a bigger/exotic bike.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sir is same as any other bike , if you can crash other bike , you can crash this one also .But the question is ,will you be able to afford the spares,service and parts if crashed and ........not to forget , the import costs .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:30   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
i'm planning to bring my HD to India.
I saw the post where a VROD banged the splendor.
Now I'm really scared to bring it. I know my limitations and I'm a good rider but as such the 3 wheelers dont give a damn attitude and ride as if they are the only ones on the road. To add insult to injury you have drunk riders/drivers in all sorta driving machines.

So will it really help me bringing it to India and enjoy the good ol' country side on my HD?
Riding the HD on our winding country roads will be awesome. As for city riding on it, probably the best thing is to ride very very defensively. As someone said, an accident can happen no matter what one rides, so the trick is to avoid accidents!

Watch out for autos/trucks/buses/other bikers basically everything and everyone on the roads!
gomzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 12:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Get it man. You will regret it if you don't.

The country has some great places you can tour on a bike.

In the city get a car. Dont use the Harley for commuting. Forget accidents, you should be more worried of it getting vandalised.

Last edited by Spitfire : 7th October 2009 at 12:37.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 13:19   #7
BHPian

way back in 1981, I had the use of a Honda 750 for a couple of weeks in Goa.
I knew then that I had to import my bike from the US, and I did. it was very hard back then!
I never regretted it, despite the incredible expense and difficulty; but I'm a skilled mechanic, and could repair it myself.
it's a 1977 Kawasaki 400, and it still works today!

Today, Indian motorbikes have come a long way, but the locally produced ones are still all featherweights.
the weather [high heat and humidity] and dust take their toll, so you'll need maintenance if you import a machine. check that out first.
lots of bikes, and even cars in India, languish unused due to maintenance problems.
there are good mechanics in India, but they're hard to find.
anjuna mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 13:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna mark View Post
way back in 1981, I had the use of a Honda 750 for a couple of weeks in Goa.
I knew then that I had to import my bike from the US, and I did. it was very hard back then!
I never regretted it, despite the incredible expense and difficulty; but I'm a skilled mechanic, and could repair it myself.
it's a 1977 Kawasaki 400, and it still works today!
Now can we have some pictures and reviews please.

Its quite unfortunate for the VRod. There are some beautiful places to explore in this country on a bike, and I guess a HD would be a glorious way to do it.
There are people who explore and ride kms tohether on not so comfortable bikes. If you ride safe and have your senses strong there should be no problem using it in India. Customs and duty would be a pain. However where there is a will there is a way.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 19:51   #9
BHPian

Well, since you asked...
I couldn't find a picture of my bike, so here's one from the web.
Mine looked like this when I bought it in 1978, and was pretty much unchanged when it came to India in 1983.
It's still stock except for a monoshock conversion. I did that because Goa is hell on shocks, and I needed to import new ones every 2 years [local ones only lasted 3 weeks!].
When the monoshock is 10 or even 20% off, it doesn't make as much difference as unbalanced twin shocks.

I rode this thing like a madman for 20 years; I guess every road user in North Goa must have known me, as there were hardly any imported bikes for most of that time, and those that were there were kept at home as showpeices instead of being ridden.
Enfeilds had [have] 18-22HP, no suspension, and no brakes compared to the KZ [36HP].
Other than that there were Rajdoots and Jezdis. I killed them all, even when I had a passenger. I crashed a few times, but thanks to the luck of idiots, I'm still alive.
The Kawasaki rusted and corroded, but in all those years it only let me down 1 time, when the oil pump failed. My low pressure light went on, and I switched the engine off within a second, and there was no other damage. I got a new pump [a year later] and away it went.

If anyone wants the bike it is for sale, but at 32 years old, and in rough shape cosmetically, I don't expect anyone to really have interest.

Today, at 48, I am without a motorbike for the first time since I was 15. it's probably a good thing, as I'm only slightly less stupid now.

I wrote a little essay about animals on the road in India, and how to avoid crashing into them. I'll post it as a separate thread somewhere.
Attached Images

anjuna mark is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 21:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Its definitely worth considering it.Do look into the expenses involved in bringing it to India.With HD setting up shop, it shouldn't be a problem for you to get the bike fixed ( if ever the need arises).
As for accidents, there's a ton of things that aren't in our hands. You might be a safe rider, but there are a million other morons around you, who don't care a fig about the law or safety of others.So its definitely a catch-22 situation!
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 00:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am sure you can get it over. Ask fellow bhpian Nandishpal regarding his experiences with riding his Harley in Bangalore, he should be able to boost your spirits

Dont let a freak accident put you off.

Last edited by sammyboy : 8th October 2009 at 00:33.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 01:02   #12
BHPian

Get it here and repent, rather than not getting it and repenting!
susan3004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 10:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Get it here and repent, rather than not getting it and repenting!
well said, just loved it
Old 8th October 2009, 10:41   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
1) Wouldnt it be pricey coz of customs duty?
I aint really worried about price coz when HD will officially start selling in India it is going to be a CBU which means imported OEM bike and it will priced 100 percentage more than what the price is in US.

The reason that I wanna bring mine is, I paid 15000$ OTD in Dallas but then my stock bike was 96 Cu.In (1600cc) I changed the motor to 103 Cu.In (1700cc) plus put heavy air cleaner + changed the pipes + I've changed the wheels, pretty much everything I've changed...

So considering the mods that I did to my bike its gonna be one of a kind in India,

The whole point of buying a HD is that you can customize it the way you want.
Old 8th October 2009, 20:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Shrini, sounds like the bike's been done up well. Could have some pics, while we'r discussing the options?
It would definitely make sense in bringing the bike to India, given the work done on it.You might have to grease a few palms in order to get the bike out in a jiffy, but it'll definitely be worth every penny spent.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote