Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Closed Thread

Old 25th December 2009, 20:31   #1
BHPian

Default Looking For a Used SBK

Guys, Its Been Some time since i was going through the SBK threads here for a change.(Have to say Rtechs threads are the best among them.Will surely miss his advice here)

The Reason:

Im contemplating on Getting a Used SBK(preferably 600) and use it for 1 year and sell it off so that i dont lose much money and will get to know the adrenaline rush of owning one .

What i want to know is

1.Which are the Sbk's which come under 3.5 lacs?

2.What is the depreciation of Sbk's if i sell it in 1 year?how much will i tend to lose?

3.Should i transfer the bike to my name if am selling the same in 1 year?

4.Can i get the Fireblade 919 series within my budget?

5.which are the models which i can sell of easily without much depreciation?

6.how much would i have to spend on maintenance? (This will be my first SBK)

7.So Whom should i contact in bangalore for used SBK's.
(Or is Any Bangalore Bhpians willing to part with their machines)
Old 28th December 2009, 16:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Answers to your questions:

1. Not too many if you're looking for one with clean papers and title. Expectations should range between us mid 90's 600 to an early 90's liter class.

2. Expect to lose or even gain (sometimes) about 20K odd if you haven't bought at an exhorbitant price or sold at a rudiculously low price.

3. Definitely, owning a vehicle without having it transferred to your name is illegal, and now with every legal system scratching around the imported vehicle scene, you should at bare minimum have a clean title to your motorcycle.

4. Maybe an early 900 RR, the 919 in fireblade form was a 96-99 spec, and later as a naked bike.

5. Anything that is clean, some may tell you Honda's are this, and Kawasakis are that, but in India it doesn't really matter because there are very few really clean bikes with good papers.

6. From experience, the upkeep should cost you as much as of a car of similar value. Tires are relatively expensive at 15-20K a pair though.

7. Just about anyone you'd know whose around superbikes, you never know whose going to be responsible for hooking you up with your next acquisition. Joe, Harsha are a couple of names that come to mind. Ideally check with prabhu on the forum, he's from Bangalore, owns a 919 that he brought down and knows a whole lotta superbike owners.

manson.
Old 28th December 2009, 16:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

A friend bought a R6 a few months back for 4 lakhs, then sold it off after a few weeks since he got a R1 for 6 lakhs.

He was telling me that 3.5 would get me something decent.

There is this guy called Joe in ShivajiNagar. He's near the Cantonment Railway Station and on Broadway road. He always has 2 or 3 bikes parked at his garage for sale. The rates are exhorbitant, but one's he knows you are serious, he sobers down and you can find bikes for a steal.

There is a mad rush among the stinking rich to dispose off their illegal stuff and go for legal ones from the Showroom. They are selling away illegal stuff at throwaway prices.

Wish you all the best bro.

Last edited by Dippy : 29th December 2009 at 09:21. Reason: Removing pic. Will PM you on this.
Old 28th December 2009, 18:38   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
There is a mad rush among the stinking rich to dispose off their illegal stuff and go for legal ones from the Showroom. They are selling away illegal stuff at throwaway prices..
True, but if pooped our friend may just want to forget he even owned an import by a long shot.
And honestly, I do not see a point in spending atleast a few lacs INR over a motorcycle only to be bothered about be pulled over everytime you'd ride out.

manson.
Old 28th December 2009, 19:52   #5
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Can I get a decent condition 600cc SBK preferably a CBR600 or R6 with all clear papers under 3.5L? If yes can anybody please let me know whom to contact for this?
Old 28th December 2009, 20:02   #6
BHPian

This is interesting, I will be on a lookout on this thread as I will be on the same boat in a years time or less maybe.
What you get will inspire me or at least give me the true picture as I have heard that there are good SBK's in around 4 Lac bracket in good condition.
Old 29th December 2009, 00:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
There is a mad rush among the stinking rich to dispose off their illegal stuff and go for legal ones from the Showroom. They are selling away illegal stuff at throwaway prices.
SBKs at a throwaway prices? Really? Can I get some phone nos. please? Am on lookout for a litre plus bike myself.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd January 2010 at 18:52. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 29th December 2009, 01:56   #8
BHPian

@manson

So if by chance i get caught what is the procedure to get it back from the cops
And how do we know if the bike is illegal or not.i mean if duty paid is specified in the papers its a legal bike right??

@arun

Which model R6 was that ur friend got?Was it a clean bike?
And where Exactly is joe's Garage.
Can u Pm me his number?
Old 29th December 2009, 02:11   #9
BHPian

my friends if you get caught by the DRI for having an illegal bike you are screwed, too much hassle, just go for a clean bike with proper import duty paid unless you want to get busted, trust me DRI have all the info of imported bikes which have registrations, only a matter of time they will start the RAID again, stay clean guys thats my advice,

cheers..

Last edited by Berj79 : 29th December 2009 at 02:13.
Old 29th December 2009, 10:39   #10
BHPian

Default NINJA GPZ 900cc for sale

A friend of mine wants to sell his 1985 Ninja GPZ, all papers intact and in his name

PM me if anyone is interested
Old 29th December 2009, 14:24   #11
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

@ARUN- please PM me Joe's number if its not much of a hassle.

@manson- can you let me know of any place in Mumbai or elsewhere where I can get a 600cc bike with all clean documents?
Old 29th December 2009, 19:19   #12
BHPian

No point buying a SBK which is older than 4 years.. if you are looking at bikes older than a decade then you would never get it in pristine condition.. so whats the point?

I have a YPVS and i decided to restore it.. you have no clue how much pain & money goes.. but then you should be willing..

I would suggest save up and buy something that is clean & new if you plan to keep it & ride.. if for poser value then it is something else
Old 29th December 2009, 23:50   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
@manson

So if by chance i get caught what is the procedure to get it back from the cops
And how do we know if the bike is illegal or not.i mean if duty paid is specified in the papers its a legal bike right??
Well simply put, pay the duty quote that the DRI furnishes you alongwith a bank guarantee for penalties and interest that thta may want to imply, and you're probably gooing to be alright.
Papers, well you just know when you're looking at a clean set. Something with 55,000 on the R.C. book just isnt going to be clean, no matter how you'd want to believe that.
From what I gathered off late, the simplest way tocheck on the bike's papers is to go lookup the vehicle's record at the RTO office, and if available go have the bill of entry verifified from the port house the bike has been cleard through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
@manson- can you let me know of any place in Mumbai or elsewhere where I can get a 600cc bike with all clean documents?
There isn't any. You can find a 600 with clean documents only if it ws brought down on TR, or was ceased at some point at then released at time of a customs auction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
No point buying a SBK which is older than 4 years.. if you are looking at bikes older than a decade then you would never get it in pristine condition.. so whats the point?
I strongly disagree with you on the above.
The Jap four motors are typically rock solid till this side of 100,000 kms or more, and traditionaly superbikes in India are mostly low run as good chunk of them are bought for poser value, and unfavourable traffic conditions.
So with the basic TLC, I do not see why a motorcycle cannot be in good shape beyond four years. I bought my Thunderace in great shape, and passed it on two years later in as good condition, if not better.

manson.

Last edited by manson : 29th December 2009 at 23:51.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I strongly disagree with you on the above.
The Jap four motors are typically rock solid till this side of 100,000 kms or more, and traditionaly superbikes in India are mostly low run as good chunk of them are bought for poser value, and unfavourable traffic conditions.
So with the basic TLC, I do not see why a motorcycle cannot be in good shape beyond four years. I bought my Thunderace in great shape, and passed it on two years later in as good condition, if not better.

manson.
Manson, I couldn't agree with you more. Average SBK user takes his bike out on weekends for a short ride down to the beach. Let us assume 50 km at the max on weekends, 200 Kms in a month, do the math. It won't cross 25,000 kms in 10 years. Now a guy may not be in possession of a bike for 10 years but even the successive users pretty nearly subject the bike to same kinda usage. After all, nobody uses an SBK like a workhorse or a mule. Every SBK owner possesses at least one other run of the mill bike and car to run errands and regular other runs.
Old 2nd January 2010, 17:54   #15
BHPian

4.6 (negotiable) for a 2004 CBR600RR with 13k done brought through TR (claimed to be having clean papers).Though it doesn't fit my budget i like to know what will be a good price for this.
Closed Thread