Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 8th May 2010, 14:38   #1
BHPian

Default Harley Davidson Show at Kala Ghoda Today

Hey Guys,
Apparently there is a Harley Davidson Show happening at Kala Ghoda today.
Friend called up and told me, just thought i'd spread the word.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 17:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

hey - till what time. i would head there right away
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 17:45   #3
BHPian

it would be an invitition event only ... Just like Delhi.
Jonny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 18:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Is Kala Ghoda a place in Mumbai? Then this WILL happen only through prior invitation from HD India. Upcoming places are Hyderabad on 15, 16 & Bangalore on 22, 23 this month.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 20:28   #5
BHPian

Yes, these events are on invite basis for prospectibe buyers who have booked/staked their claims for Harley bikes.
Old 9th May 2010, 07:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Sprucegoose. Thanks so much for the info. Went to KG straight away and checked out the bikes. Aargee and Jonny are right. The entry was indeed restricted to pre - invitees of buyers / potential buyers. Requested them at the entry and they let me in anyway.

I was particularly keen on the Sporster range. The Nightster looks fabulous and more impressive in the flesh than its pics would suggest.

Its on today as well I think so those interested please do go check it out.
Old 9th May 2010, 08:53   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
@Sprucegoose. Thanks so much for the info. Went to KG straight away and checked out the bikes. Aargee and Jonny are right. The entry was indeed restricted to pre - invitees of buyers / potential buyers. Requested them at the entry and they let me in anyway.

I was particularly keen on the Sporster range. The Nightster looks fabulous and more impressive in the flesh than its pics would suggest.

Its on today as well I think so those interested please do go check it out.
Yeah, I love the Nightster too Dunno if you noticed, but the Nightster has the most high tech rear lamp cluster of the range. The Lamps are all LED, work as Park, Brake, Indicators and Hazard, all in one. Its so cool, I love it.

BTW, when you went to this event, were there any HD technical staff around, or was it just sales, marketing and bank loan pushers around? I am planning on the 22-23 B'Lore trip and need some technical answers and would like to know if its worth the trip.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 09:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

@gthang - Not sure what technical questions you have, just let me know if I can help with my little knowledge or probably Shrini could help. I would say, its worth the trip to Bangalore because they offer test rides based on your stake. What I hear from the sources is that, the test rides are booked based on specific timing or allotment. Say if you're stake is on Roadking, you'll be given a test ride on Roadking on a specific time which will be intimated to you a week or 10 days ahead. But I'm not sure if they will give be able to give you any other test ride in addition.
Old 9th May 2010, 10:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@gthang - Not sure what technical questions you have, just let me know if I can help with my little knowledge or probably Shrini could help. I would say, its worth the trip to Bangalore because they offer test rides based on your stake. What I hear from the sources is that, the test rides are booked based on specific timing or allotment. Say if you're stake is on Roadking, you'll be given a test ride on Roadking on a specific time which will be intimated to you a week or 10 days ahead. But I'm not sure if they will give be able to give you any other test ride in addition.
For your technical querries click here

Harley-Davidson might consider your request for additional rides/test rides at events if they find your merit. I had staked my claim on fatBOY but rode five to finally make my mind buy a DYNAstreetBOB. No harm in visiting the event for interaction ... At the end of the day they are there to sell a lifestyle & they will sell WHAT IF YOU HAVENT REGISTERED WITH HD WELL IN ADVANCE FOR A RIDE !

Go ahead & make you day a day !

Last edited by Jonny Bravo : 9th May 2010 at 10:41.
Old 9th May 2010, 12:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

I principally interacted with Arjun, the dealer, himself. Not sure if there specifically tech support guys there. No finance people approached me but don't know if they were there. Great guy and was more than helpful answering all queries.
Old 9th May 2010, 18:57   #11
BANNED

@aargee, Without going too far off topic, my specific technical questions regards Fuel octane rating and knocking I experience on my Nightster. There was a thread I created on this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...lp-needed.html
This is a serious issue for owners like myself who live in non metro cities and have difficulty getting Speed97. (AFAIK, Speed97 not available anywhere in Kerala). I was hoping I could talk to some tech guy and see about reprogramming my ECU for 91RON rating as US spec.

@JohnnyBravo, my riding buddy has an invite to test ride the Sportster, and we plan on visiting with my rides, and I am keen to test ride a Dyna as well.

I have ridden most of the range except Electra Glide, but mostly abroad, and was apprehensive about bringing a Big Twin to India and hence got the Nightster imported. Now having ridden the Nightster around for a while, I feel more confident in trying out a Dyna and want to test ride in Indian conditions. And this never ending lust for shiny things makes me want one. But that Ducati Streetfighter is so luscious as well. If only I had more time and money :(
Old 9th May 2010, 19:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

@gthang - Well, I don't remember reading anywhere that HD's engines in India are tuned for regular ones. However, I believe HD should've considered about this as one of the primary issue & hope they've taken regular fuel from a good fuel pump as standard into consideration. I'll try to seek some information on this & keep you posted, if I come across any.
Old 9th May 2010, 20:06   #13
BHPian

some pics from the event......
Attached Images

obaidhakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 21:25   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

I have ridden most of the range except Electra Glide, but mostly abroad, and was apprehensive about bringing a Big Twin to India and hence got the Nightster imported. Now having ridden the Nightster around for a while, I feel more confident in trying out a Dyna and want to test ride in Indian conditions. And this never ending lust for shiny things makes me want one. But that Ducati Streetfighter is so luscious as well. If only I had more time and money :(
gthang !!!
Old 9th May 2010, 21:50   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@gthang - Well, I don't remember reading anywhere that HD's engines in India are tuned for regular ones. However, I believe HD should've considered about this as one of the primary issue & hope they've taken regular fuel from a good fuel pump as standard into consideration. I'll try to seek some information on this & keep you posted, if I come across any.
All bikes imported to India above 800cc have to meet EU standards, and need certificate of conformity to comply to EU emission control specs. This applies for all manufacturers. All HD's coming to India are going to be EU spec, and hence will have 95RON fuel rating. US spec is only 91RON due to less stringent emission control laws. Octane boosters are my only temporary solution and they dont always work with all brands premium fuels. Moreover, they are hard to come by, and a bother to carry along, worry about paint damage due to spilling, etc, etc.

HD as of now is only stepping foot in the country and are focusing on metros alone. Just want to talk to someone knowledgeable about possibility of ECU remap, or long term damage due to knocking, and possible fixes. I have been doing the oil and filter changes myself, and some mods like forward controls and SE filters. A checkup of my bike wouldn't hurt either, I guess.