Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 24th October 2010, 21:35   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Congrats. The Ducait Monster is hotness personified and stands apart from the plastic clad rockets.

Wrong habit...but right forum

You bet, Wrong habbit....but I hope its totally worth it :P
nadim_90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 21:47   #32
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Indeed an impulsive buy and what a buy! Congratulations Nadim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim_90210 View Post
Apparently the cost of first 1000 km service is approx 15k. The front tire is around 12-13k & the back tyre cost is approx 17k.

A Single Scratch / Dent of the fuel tank means Complete replacement of the fuel tank which is approx 35k & you only get 50% coverage through insurance.

Guess thats the cost 1 has to bear to own a Ducati.

With the new monster pricing, their sales are picking up. Cant just wait to get my hands on the Monster :P
A few questions -
  1. How frequent are the service intervals?
  2. How are outstation customers served? Nikhat told me a service engineer will be sent for servicing but who will bear the cost? I know you are from Mumbai itself but asking you hoping you might be aware of it.
  3. Is an extended warranty possible?
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 08:20   #33
BHPian

@Nadim - One of the best impulsive buys I have come across yet!

Ask to see the Ducati service center. Their standard story is that the one in new Delhi is better equipped...I wonder if they are telling the Delhi guys that the one in Mumbai is better equipped. A good friend of mine owns a Streetfighter and he has had to move heaven and earth to get the servicing done. They don't have the tools, trained mechanics or the reach in cities outside New Delhi and Mumbai. Needless to say I highly recommend you get in touch with other Ducati owners. Performance Racing Store is where you will find the contact details of Vicky Jaisingh who knows most of the owhers -AND- you can get in touch with Ariz Kohli who owns the SF. They can give you a better idea of the servicing challenges.

Pretty bike...but keeping it that way won't be easy without the right support eh?
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 09:24   #34
BHPian

Nadim:
Can you also check with them if you are getting 2010 or 2011 model?
2011 Ducati Monster 796 | Preview | Motorcycle News
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 13:08   #35
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Nadim,

As per the specs sheet, the monster is Euro 3 standard. Will it not be a problem while registering in Mumbai? Am I missing something here?
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 14:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Given that you do not really have a lot of distance under your belt, i suggest you join some SBK group. Cause after the initial euphoria of taking the bike around in the city, you will start worrying about where to park, who is touching, is my bike ok out there while i sip coffee! And then probably your trips become less frequent. All this happens cause its your prized possesion and you probably wont be able to afford another one. A disciplined SBK group means you have some serious company and motivation to ride and less to worry about when you park. And you really really "ride" clocking some decent distance. Sounds funny but its true.
Just make sure you do not try to match them until you are really sure about your bike. Unless you ride frequently, just stay well within the bikes capability. I switch from a bullet to the comet frequently and it takes a fair amount of time to get used to the bike. Sorry about the soft skill gyan but with these machines, its always better to be a notch down on the adrenaline.

Also, I think you'll need to really work out your expenses for the first year. Gear is sure to cost you atleast 30k + the service costs. Thats quite a lot of money so work it out and hopefully you wont stress out (when you are not riding). I personally hate surprises with heavy expenses.
And yeh...i'm pretty anxious to see the pics. I saw a pearl-white duke 998 at Pune RTO a few months ago. I can't explain how beautiful it was!
Nilesh5417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 14:41   #37
BHPian

Discipline / Riding-distance and SBK groups don't really go hand in hand

Most SBK riders potter around town or terrorize traffic and then head to Lonavala on Sundays for more posing. Pulling wheelies/stoppies and strafing traffic at high speed is another common practice in these "groups". There is no end to one-upmanship with the latest and greatest accessories and exhausts and gear and other trinkets.

Forget about groups and just do what you want to do, ride where you want to go. I ride with my bullet gang if I am not riding alone. They don't leave home for less than 500Km. Given the chance I would ride 1000Km every weekend!

People will stare, touch and try to sit on the bike - goes with the territory. Just get used to it and as long as they don't try to sit on it...don't bother making a scene. I don't let kids go near the bike and I yell at parents who place their kids on the bike to take pics.

Just get a simple mesh fabric jacket from Alpinestars or Joe Rocket and A-Stars GP gloves. Also get the basic fabric non-gauntlet gloves for those casual rides. Riding boots would be nice but I don't recommend ankle high boots - go for the full size with calf protection.
gsferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 14:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post

Most SBK riders potter around town or terrorize traffic and then head to Lonavala on Sundays for more posing. Pulling wheelies/stoppies and strafing traffic at high speed is another common practice in these "groups". There is no end to one-upmanship with the latest and greatest accessories and exhausts and gear and other trinkets.

Forget about groups and just do what you want to do, ride where you want to go. I ride with my bullet gang if I am not riding alone. They don't leave home for less than 500Km. Given the chance I would ride 1000Km every weekend!

People will stare, touch and try to sit on the bike - goes with the territory. Just get used to it and as long as they don't try to sit on it...don't bother making a scene. I don't let kids go near the bike and I yell at parents who place their kids on the bike to take pics.

Just get a simple mesh fabric jacket from Alpinestars or Joe Rocket and A-Stars GP gloves. Also get the basic fabric non-gauntlet gloves for those casual rides. Riding boots would be nice but I don't recommend ankle high boots - go for the full size with calf protection.
@gsferrari: Not all SBK group are like that. Those who have just got their hand on this kind of machinery and those who buy them just for posing rather than the passion for riding tend to behane that way. The guys who ride for the love of it will not do anything of that sort. Having a big bike in my garage I know what all of this is. I've seen the good riders and the kind of riders you have mentioned in you post above

Nadim, as gsferrari pointed out do take care of the bike when you park in public places from kids especially. These days even girls have the tendency to and randomly sit on bikes without a second thought.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 14:57   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
These days even girls have the tendency to and randomly sit on bikes without a second thought.

No complaints as long as I am on it as well

Not all SBK groups are like that...I shouldn't generalize but a majority are into a routine that doesn't float my boat. Plus there is this constant churn of accessories that gets annoying after a while - why fit all kinds of nonsense on the bike when you barely ride?

// Rant
Old 25th October 2010, 15:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No complaints as long as I am on it as well

Not all SBK groups are like that...I shouldn't generalize but a majority are into a routine that doesn't float my boat. Plus there is this constant churn of accessories that gets annoying after a while - why fit all kinds of nonsense on the bike when you barely ride?

// Rant
Thats the point The other day my brother was at Bandra Pali Hill Candies.. They parked the bikes and sat inside pretty much keeping an eye on the bikes. 5 minutes later 2 guys and two 'hot' chicks come there and one of them just sits on th bike. My brother just sormed out and the blasted the hell out of her. If the bike would have fallen on her she would have lost her leg for sure.

And the bike my brother rides is a Valkyrie F6 So you can imagine
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 15:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mostly true but not always. A group isnt necessarily some much publicised name. It could just be a few friends who ride together often. Which is what we do.
But the advise was given in the context that he rarely rides and this has been an impulsive buy. So i dont want him to leave this bike standing under covers most of the time. Neither do i want him to get hurt a few weeks after. Riding alone is a definite no-no in his case.
But seems like he already has someone to ride along with maybe in Dippy and his friends!
Old 25th October 2010, 16:44   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Given that you do not really have a lot of distance under your belt, i suggest you join some SBK group. Cause after the initial euphoria of taking the bike around in the city, you will start worrying about where to park, who is touching, is my bike ok out there while i sip coffee! And then probably your trips become less frequent. All this happens cause its your prized possesion and you probably wont be able to afford another one. A disciplined SBK group means you have some serious company and motivation to ride and less to worry about when you park. And you really really "ride" clocking some decent distance. Sounds funny but its true.
Just make sure you do not try to match them until you are really sure about your bike. Unless you ride frequently, just stay well within the bikes capability. I switch from a bullet to the comet frequently and it takes a fair amount of time to get used to the bike. Sorry about the soft skill gyan but with these machines, its always better to be a notch down on the adrenaline.
I cant agree more on the whole Parking thing. I am allready tensed up with where to park the bike in my own bldg. As you know I live in a high rise tower where there are about a zillion kids playing around. My New chevy cruze was strach by kids with their cycle twice so you can imagine how it is like. And yes I am also a bit tensed about talking the bike outside just bcoz of the whole parking thing.

About the whole SBK Gang....Like I had informed, Not much into SBK scene yet so don't know how to join 1, but I like the suggestion & will look for such groups.

Quote:

Cant Agree more, My bldg had 2 busa's wrapped in covers & kids were all over it, not only kids but a lot of youngster and even drivers standing down at the building used to sit & click snaps. The owners had to shift the busa someplace else due to this.

Started Looking for gear....any idea if you can find gears in bangkok as well....will be travelling in Jan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Thats the point The other day my brother was at Bandra Pali Hill Candies.. They parked the bikes and sat inside pretty much keeping an eye on the bikes. 5 minutes later 2 guys and two 'hot' chicks come there and one of them just sits on th bike. My brother just sormed out and the blasted the hell out of her. If the bike would have fallen on her she would have lost her leg for sure.

And the bike my brother rides is a Valkyrie F6 So you can imagine
I can imagine the Horror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Mostly true but not always. A group isnt necessarily some much publicised name. It could just be a few friends who ride together often. Which is what we do.
But the advise was given in the context that he rarely rides and this has been an impulsive buy. So i dont want him to leave this bike standing under covers most of the time. Neither do i want him to get hurt a few weeks after. Riding alone is a definite no-no in his case.
But seems like he already has someone to ride along with maybe in Dippy and his friends!
Even I dont want the bikes to be in covers most of the time but most of the riding will be done at nights. So will have to remove more time.

About my riding style, I have driven CBZ for 4 years but that was like 5 years back. Took the FZs, but dont get the time to drive it much so just did less the 1000km in a year :(. Not into anykind of rash driving or anything like that but at times definetly likes to give a good throttle ..but thats just once in a while.

New updates from the Dealer.

The bike will be delivered mostly by 20th of november ....A month in advance as there is 1 unit extra which is arriving in this months delivery order.

I am damn exicted & now terrified at the same time. Excited coz will ride the monster soon & terrified coz will have to re-work on my whole expenses as I have just about 6 days to make the complete payment - the registration and all.

All my calculations have gone for a toss. I will be having the bike but will have to wait a month before getting the Gear . Such is the Irony .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Indeed an impulsive buy and what a buy! Congratulations Nadim!

A few questions -
  1. How frequent are the service intervals?
  2. How are outstation customers served? Nikhat told me a service engineer will be sent for servicing but who will bear the cost? I know you are from Mumbai itself but asking you hoping you might be aware of it.
  3. Is an extended warranty possible?
1. Every year or Every 1000km.

2. Will definetly ask this question to them.

3. How did I miss asking this as well.

Thanks for the questions you asked. Will get it cleard with the dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Nadim:
Can you also check with them if you are getting 2010 or 2011 model?
2011 Ducati Monster 796 | Preview | Motorcycle News
I just confirmed this with the dealership & its the 2011 Model. They started selling the 2011 model from september this year.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th October 2010 at 10:29. Reason: posts merged
nadim_90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2010, 17:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
I am damn exicted & now terrified at the same time. Excited coz will ride the monster soon & terrified coz will have to re-work on my whole expenses as I have just about 6 days to make the complete payment - the registration and all.
This is the best part of the whole process. It is bittersweet...lots of stress and relief, joy and sorrow all happening at the same time. Take it in your stride and enjoy it if you can! It took me a lot of courage to finally man up and sign two checks for some 3 or 4 lakhs each!! I've never put away that much money at one go...ever!
Old 25th October 2010, 17:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New updates from the Dealer.

All my calculations have gone for a toss. I will be having the bike but will have to wait a month before getting the Gear . Such is the Irony .
he he....Yours was never a planned decision to begin with. So relax, get the bike and ride around a bit. Just be patient and ride safe until you get that gear. Now that plans remain on paper, i would still choose the bike and the gear. In that order.
Old 25th October 2010, 20:20   #45
BANNED

Congrats on your purchase. Regardless of anything practical like where to ride, when to ride, what gear, finances, etc, I assure you the visual treat you will get every time you look at your bike will be worth everything.

Just a tip on riding gear, from what I have seen, you can get excellent jackets, gloves and not too bad a selection on helmets in India. Like most have suggested, Planet DSG is a really good place. The DSG branded gloves are excellent quality and real value for money. The jackets are not too shabby either, with designs cues taken from other major brands like AStars and JRocket. Fit and finish is excellent for the price range.

As far riding boots goes, good ones are hard to come by. Most stores/websites have full length boots with all kinds of buckles and decals that do not gel too well with naked street bike look. Prices also not too cheap. As a suggestion from personal experience, try out FC-Moto.de - FC-Moto Shop Its a German website that have excellent selection of PUMA riding boots. I bought a pair of Puma Desmo GTX boots and I absolutely love them. The Puma range is really good with very discrete looking protection. You can get a pair of boots including shipping much cheaper than anything I have seen available in India.

I would NOT recommend getting your bike first and gear later. Always get your gear first. It will be very very difficult to control your throttle as soon as you start riding, and you will unknowingly put yourself in an unsafe position. Always ride with gear. Even to the corner store!!

Enjoy your ride. Not your fault, but I envy Ducati owners
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote