Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 14th November 2010, 00:46   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
How would you compare the ride and handling and turning in and out at slow speeds with the night rod ?
I see online, in the US they option on seats too. Is the option available here ?
There is no comparison the Nightster is way better, easy to turn and handle at slow speeds even, I did not experience any knocking even if I was at second gear at 10 or 20 kmph whereas I experienced the NightRod needed a downshift to accelerate. The NightRod is too long and requires a lot more area to turn into corners. No doubt its a beautiful bike but a little too much for high traffic conditions and narrow lanes.

Here is a picture of my friend in comparison to the size of the Nightster which could ve used a little more body. He's about 5'10 for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley Davidson XL 1200N Nightster !! Test Drive!!-dscn9268.jpg  

maximuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 09:00   #17
BHPian

Why does the sportster look so small ?
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 09:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
Why does the sportster look so small ?
Coz they aint a big V-TWIN to look big
It's their small cousin
shrini78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 09:26   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Coz they aint a big V-TWIN to look big
It's their small cousin
The Nightster is 1200 cc vs. 1600 cc of a standard Twin-Cam. Naturally the sporty will look smaller as against the big block engines and it has a much shorter wheel base.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2010, 23:57   #20
BHPian

Nightster's replacement in 2011. The Sportster 48. It should be launched around the same 9-10 lac range in India as the Nightster's price. Below the Nightster for comparison purposes.

Pic Courtesy : HD USA and India website.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley Davidson XL 1200N Nightster !! Test Drive!!-pg_spxl1200x_def_dom_bs_en_us_w12801.jpg  

Harley Davidson XL 1200N Nightster !! Test Drive!!-download_xl_1200n_nightster.jpg  

Last edited by maximuzz : 15th November 2010 at 00:08. Reason: Add more details.
Old 15th November 2010, 07:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

I highly doubt on the Fourty Eight being launched as such; the morons in the Indian Govt would definitely try to indulge to tweak the motorcycle for pollution!!!

Also I feel XL1200N + fwd controls + fat front tyres + costume = Fourty Eight.

BTW, were you able to find out anything on the exhaust? See the XL1200N in this page compared to the one in previous, this is what I'm asking about.

Last edited by aargee : 15th November 2010 at 07:47.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 08:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I highly doubt on the Fourty Eight being launched as such; the morons in the Indian Govt would definitely try to indulge to tweak the motorcycle for pollution!!!

BTW, were you able to find out anything on the exhaust? See the XL1200N in this page compared to the one in previous, this is what I'm asking about.
just wanna add to your statement, HD has brought the cafe racer generation to the 48s
shrini78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 08:33   #23
BANNED

Quote:

The slash cut exhaust is OEM on US spec Nightsters. Indian models get the International spec with regular tapered exhausts. Other minor differences include side mounted license plate for US, rear for Int'l, slightly higher ride height with bigger/longer rear shocks, Sprocket size difference, etc.

To get a better idea for Indian bound HD's, visit UK or some other non-US HD site
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 08:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
just wanna add to your statement, HD has brought the cafe racer generation to the 48s
Cafe racer? May be cafe racer with HD styling I guess; none of the cafe racer model have forward foot control isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
The slash cut exhaust is...Sprocket size difference, etc.
I'm aware; I assume the Indian Govt banned them due to their policy on loud exhaust noise exceeding 91 db. What I intended to say was, I wish we'd those slash cut exhaust rather than the present ones in India.

But then, are you saying those slash cuts are available only in US & UK? Because, I don't see the slashcut on your Nightster too.

Last edited by aargee : 15th November 2010 at 08:40.
Old 15th November 2010, 08:45   #25
BANNED

Quote:
I'm aware; I assume the Indian Govt banned them due to their policy on loud exhaust noise exceeding 91 db.
Only EU emission control spec bikes are allowed by Indian govt., irrespective of manufacturer. Not just for noise, but emissions as well.

US spec bikes are available in US only. Its not just India that you cant get them. Thats why there exists an abundant aftermarket source to make all the noise you want

My bike was bought in UAE, EU spec. Hence tapered. I prefer tapered look. Screaming Eagle slash cut easily available.

Last edited by gthang : 15th November 2010 at 08:48. Reason: typo
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 10:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:

I agree it would to that. It would not be launched like that here. The Indian Govt. would butcher the design.

And to add to the equation + a different seat = Fourty Eight

And yes I did find out about the exhaust I have posted it in the above post. The answer is yes, the exhausts are the same as the ones in 883 sportster and not straight cut.

Last edited by maximuzz : 15th November 2010 at 10:13.
Old 15th November 2010, 10:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Only EU emission...Screaming Eagle slash cut easily available.
Thanks @gthang; forget the screaming eagle, Indian Govt will allow all the 100db loud speakers at Temples during December for hours, but will not allow loud exhausts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuzz View Post
And yes I did find out about the exhaust...883 sportster and not straight cut.
No I don't want to start ranting on Govt & their policies!!!

Were you able to find out the plastic stuff? Its little irritable for me & hence the question if it has any engineering value?
Old 15th November 2010, 11:05   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @gthang; forget the screaming eagle, Indian Govt will allow all the 100db loud speakers at Temples during December for hours, but will not allow loud exhausts

No I don't want to start ranting on Govt & their policies!!!

Were you able to find out the plastic stuff? Its little irritable for me & hence the question if it has any engineering value?
Yes yes I have finally found out what that ugly thing is. Its a headlight holder and its made of cast iron and gives a plastic look. The 48 won't have it luckily its holder is gonna be from the bottom part of the headlamp rest we ll find out when it actually comes to India, whenever it does since Harley hasn't officially announced it.
Old 16th November 2010, 10:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Nightster's replacement in 2011. The Sportster 48. It should be launched around the same 9-10 lac range in India as the Nightster's price. Below the Nightster for comparison purposes.

Pic Courtesy : HD USA and India website.
Now we are talking ... looks much better !

and now to add information to the thread : The front meaty tyre looks much better and the position of mirrors look good. I am sure this will sell more than the older skinny looking nightster.

Any idea if they plan to get the entire sportster range as CKD's?

Last edited by niks_devil666 : 16th November 2010 at 10:21. Reason: People have forgotten what forums are all about
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 17:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nightster's replacement in 2011.
Oh my god, I so want this (the 2011 model). The tyres make this so much more substantial as an overall bike. Absolutely stunning.

Maximuzz: what's the dope on this. Any concrete info on if we'll get the 2011 model i.e. the Sporster 48 in India?

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th November 2010 at 17:26.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote