Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 21st November 2010, 10:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Need purchase advice; Suzuki Bandit 1250S/ Yamaha MT01

Hi friends,

I shortly intend to live my dream of owning a FAT bike.
Need; Touring, long solo rides across India.

From what is availabe in India right now I have narrowed down to 2 options.
Yamaha MT01 & Suzuki Bandit 1250S. I am not interested in sports design/bikes, rather its a roadster for me.

My heart pitches for the MT01, so much so that I will probably park it in the living room as a piece of art, when im not riding it. Having read Guru's(gsferrari) ownership experience, its become all the more tempting to live my dream NOW.

However, The Suzuki seems like an intelligent allrounder proposition. But there seems to be no information on this forum on the bike.

I have never ridden a FAT bike before except for my brothers R6 in Dubai, which again is impressive, but not a roadster. This will be my first FAT bike ownership and I will use this bike to make long solo trips.

I request all the gurus and those who own/ have owned and have knowledge and experience about a FAT bike ownership to guide me through this purchase decision with your inputs.

Note; Im not interested in buying the 250 Ninja nor the upcoming 250 Honda. At 5'11" with a fairly large frame, anything 600cc & above is game for me.

Thanks everyone for taking time to read through this.

Cheers,
Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 21st November 2010 at 10:44.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 10:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Heard that Yamaha,is going to launch FZ1(1000) pretty soon.
I would suggest,wait for it,and then take the plunge.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 10:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

From what I understand. anything which has a compression ratio below 11.0:1 is good for indian fuel conditions, whereas the FZ1 has 11.5:1 FCR. Hence, long rides and touring will be restricted. Is that correct??
Old 21st November 2010, 13:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
From what I understand. anything which has a compression ratio below 11.0:1 is good for indian fuel conditions, whereas the FZ1 has 11.5:1 FCR. Hence, long rides and touring will be restricted. Is that correct??
Theoratically,it may be true.
But i have seen people tour on litre bikes,with normal 91 octane fuel,and Octane boosters,and some even without it.
So its something,you can easily live with.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 13:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Is the discontinued MT01 still available in showrooms? If, its available, its a great bike for India. Fixing a windshield may be required for some riders who are not too comfortable with the windblast to the chest on long rides.

The Suzuki bandit is a great all round bike at a decent price in my opinion, provided you are not too concerned about its somewhat dated looks. Add a few touring bits like a windshield lip, hard saddlebags etc and it is ready for the long haul at almost half the price of a VFR or a FJR or a GTR! It has already started doing a fair amount of touring duty in India as the links here will show:

Superbike at Khardung La! - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

The Bandit to Naukuchiatal! - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

Galloping through the Clouds - 456 horses to Naldehra - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community

Last edited by Haroon : 21st November 2010 at 13:25.
Haroon is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 13:43   #6
BHPian

Jay - got your PM. Swing by and I'll give you a ride on the MT-01 if it will help. They are very much available new from Yamaha and I have sent you the details by PM.

If you are going for practicality and VFM then I would suggest the Bandit. It is more suited to riding Khardung La to Kanyakumari than the MT01 but I'll be with you every step of the way with my low revving giant.

If you want to make a statement...and enjoy a relaxed big-bike with one of the best exhaust notes in the business, then the MT01 is hard to beat. Mine is not the best example as I have used it, abused it and it also has fancy Akrapovic exhausts. But if you want to see how this bike holds together despite all that running then mine is the best example out there.

Give me a call and we'll meet up.

-G
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Guru, will call u.

@ Haroon > Thanks for the links.

WHy was the MT01 been discontinued in many markets.
I found out that its been discontinued in the Middle East too. Any specific reason?
Old 22nd November 2010, 16:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
WHy was the MT01 been discontinued in many markets.
I found out that its been discontinued in the Middle East too. Any specific reason?
It was expensive and a misfit in any bike category. It isn't a cruiser...it isn't a sportbike so what is it???

I just wanted to own a concept bike and I've figured out what I can do with this machine. I can live with the fact that it doesn't quite do any one thing really well and it isn't an all-rounder either. It is hard to explain what the MT01 is without touching and feeling it. Come home and give me a call and I'll show you the magic
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Since I decide to get a FAT bike, ive begun digging for more & related info.
I happened to have a chat yesterday with a long lost relative who works for the central govt in Delhi in some dept related to budgets & finance ministry.
I told him about my impending purchase in the coming month. He gave me some advice which I feel may help others contemplating buying a FAT bike too.

According to him, the upcoming budget will be lowering duties on imports of FAT bikes in the range of 600cc and above. There is some heavy lobbying also going on towards this by some in the 2wheeler business fraternity. This move is supposed to boost sales of Hi end 2 wheelers which is supposedly going to benifit the govt indirectly.

Im not sure, if I should now wait or.... Can anyone else confirm of any such news of lowering of duties on CBU imports for FAT bikes...??

EDIT; Ive no intention of starting or spreading any rumor here. I just got this info and am sharing it. Would like to know if there is any similar news from any industry insiders here.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 23rd November 2010 at 15:01.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

There are enough hints citing the same, but how long shall it take, is any one's guess. I am sharing few links, have a look.

Commerce Ministry to seek Cabinet nod soon for Indo-Japan trade pact - The Economic Times

The Hindu : Business / Economy : India, Japan discuss ways to conclude FTA soon

Japan, India to sign free trade agreement - The Economic Times

Indo-Japan pact to make auto parts import cheaper | mydigitalfc.com

The Hindu : Business / Economy : India, Japan to sign CEPA soon

India and Japan sign trade deals - Asia-Pacific - Al Jazeera English

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd November 2010 at 15:32.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 23:36   #11
BHPian

Default Re: Need purchase advice; Suzuki Bandit 1250S/ Yamaha MT01

Hi Jay,
After pondering for a while and like you always wanted to get a dream superbike.
Finally got hold of a MT01 .It has done only 1900 kms.
Awsome bike. Will take some time get used to the massive torque.Took it for a spin but didnt have the guts to push it above 120 and it was still in 3rd gear.
I stay in Thane near Guru .you can check out the bike. Given it for servicing will be picking it up tomorrow.
Rahul
rahultomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 00:11   #12
BHPian

Considering the fact you never used a FAT Bike before instead of jumping on heavy gun like MT why not Duc Monster???
viraj_s85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 09:13   #13
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahultomahawk View Post
Hi Jay,
After pondering for a while and like you always wanted to get a dream superbike.
Finally got hold of a MT01 .It has done only 1900 kms.
Awsome bike. Will take some time get used to the massive torque.Took it for a spin but didnt have the guts to push it above 120 and it was still in 3rd gear.
I stay in Thane near Guru .you can check out the bike. Given it for servicing will be picking it up tomorrow.
Rahul
Mind sharing the cost plz? You can send a PM if you don't want to disclose in public.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 14:25   #14
BHPian

Hi Viraj & JVH,
I had owned a Yamaha FZR 400 But due to some financial conditions I had to sell it.
My cousins have Yamaha R1 and a Suzuki GXR1000 . Used to ride their bikes.
Finally could afford the bike and I prefer Cruisers rather than Sports. I feel they are better to drive in Traffic.
No I dont mind sharing the cost. I got it for 9.2l .The bike has Arkapovich exaust system. Has a after market Powerbox by which one can tune the bike. Carbon fibre air intakes. Aftermarket Hand levers and a faring kit. The bike has done 1900kms .its a 2008 model.Just got it serviced at the factory shop at Mumbai. THe bike rides like a Dream , enormous torque.
rahultomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 15:50   #15
BHPian

Hey Rahul,

Where do u stay in Thane?? I guess i had seen one MT near Taloa Pali once but never after that.. Would love to catch up some time
viraj_s85 is offline   Reply With Quote