Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 3rd December 2010, 13:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Ducati India : Catastrophic engine FAILURE

Catastrophic engine FAILURE - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

From his post -
"
With deep sorrow I have to inform you guys; my SF engine, with 3600 kms on the clock, blew up today.

Something inside the right cylinder broke apart; metal pieces flew out of the exhaust and something blew a hole in the front cylinder casing (See the pics). Bike was covered in oil, including the tyres and my jeans and boots. I was lucky as I was slow and in a straight line so could slow down and bring it to the side of the road.

Just a few kms before this happened the front cylinder started making a funny clackety clack sound, I was in the middle of nowhere and decided to ride a few kms ahead slowly till we could do something about it. On the overrun it was also throwing flames and popping a lot.

I'm completely flummoxed, What could cause such a failure inside an engine. I wasn't riding hard, and even if I did so what! Engines are meant to operate at the top of their limits and automatically don't let the user cross that limit. That's what the rev limiter is there for. I've got no engine mods, no air filter, no chipped ecu or tuneboy or piggyback unit. The only mods remotely connected to the engine are Akra slip ons, an open clutch cover and speedymoto pressure plate with the oberon clutch slave. What can these mods do to an engine that would cause it to break apart internally?

Has anyone seen this happening before on a ducati or other bikes? What has gone wrong inside the cylinder? The pieces that flew out of the exhaust and the piece that made a hold in the casing; are they valves? Can this be easily fixed? Change entire engine? Change the exhaust system too since pieces of metal have been through it at high velocity?
"

Really shocked at the reliability and attitude of dealership .That guy could have been killed due to that incident .If the Morons don't know how to fix engines , why do they sell the bikes then .All the DUCATI owners ....

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd December 2010 at 22:35. Reason: Check post.
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really shocked at the reliability and attitude of dealership .That guy could have been killed due to that incident .If the Morons don't know how to fix engines , why do they sell the bikes then .All the DUCATI owners ....
Just went through the entire thread;

It doesn't seem as bad it is quoted; first this guy has 2 after market parts. Clutch & Akrops. Not sure if this is cause (which the dealer is trying to cook or say genuine).

Good thing is Ducati seems to agree to replace the engine & the next is he's got a stand by as Hypermotorad.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:39   #3
BHPian

Nothing to see here folks. Engine went boom...new engine on it's way and owner has another ducati to ride until the repairs are done.

sh*t happens...
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

May be he did a money penny shift and blew up the con. Thats all I can think of what happened inside the engine.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:53   #5
BHPian

^^Whats a money penny shift?
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Down shift couple of gears while surfing at redline.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

^
...and you end up with valves popping away to glory.
Even if he dropped just a gear, if it happened at high revs, the valves would be toast right? They should figure out some way of preventing that!

An acquaintance suffered the fate when he learned about engine braking for the first time.

Cheers
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
^
...and you end up with valves popping away to glory.
Even if he dropped just a gear, if it happened at high revs, the valves would be toast right? They should figure out some way of preventing that!

An acquaintance suffered the fate when he learned about engine braking for the first time.

Cheers

the ducati's desmodromic valves do not pop, cannot pop at any revs.
hollywoodhogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

My mistake with the terminology. I meant break off, not the popping experienced with valves not closing.

Sorry!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 00:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

IIRC, the thread says that the dealer found a broken con & damaged head nothing w.r.t valves. Now Duc wants the dealer to repair the head while the dealer wants Duc to send a new engine. Meanwhile our guy has got a hypermotorad to ride
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 00:46   #11
BHPian

But the owner has a slipper clutch, isn't it suppose to prevent the over revving part?
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 14:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Engine braking has nothing to do with this.I ride hard and fast and in the mountains its the engine braking i rely on.I have had my 12r for 5.5 years and i have been riding it in this very fashion for all of those 5.5 years.

This has to do with the timing belt going haywire.In fact this is a very common problem with the 1198 superbikes.I cannot understand why they cannot shift to timing chains when every motorcycle company has it and is making good power and efficiency too.

Frankly after what the guy has gone through and the dealer trying to impose the engine blow on his akrapovic slipons and a clutch cover is plain stupid.

I was actually eyeing the ducati diavel supposed to be launched next year but looking at the poor scenario at ducati india i'm actually finding the pushrod harleys a better bet to ride in india.

Like a guy on that thread posted-"Life's too short to be lingering over one machine"
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 14:13   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
^^Whats a money penny shift?
Over-revving : Shifting in too low a gear at too high a speed (opposite of engine lugging). That's a death knell for the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Isn't it suppose to prevent the over revving part?
Doesn't look like his blown engine was caused by over-revving.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 17:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
It doesn't seem as bad it is quoted; first this guy has 2 after market parts. Clutch & Akrops. Not sure if this is cause (which the dealer is trying to cook or say genuine).

aftermarket clutch cover... not clutch
howler is offline   Reply With Quote