Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 18:03   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: Wheel Balancing dynamically on my Superbike

seems interesting method of balancing. But offroading is done at speeds < 50kph most of the time, so doubt this would be of much help there!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 21:25   #17
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore / MENA
Posts: 673
Thanked: 973 Times
Default Re: Wheel Balancing dynamically on my Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
seems interesting method of balancing. But offroading is done at speeds < 50kph most of the time, so doubt this would be of much help there!!
Offroading puts the tire/wheel out of balance due to the uneven loading, scraping etc. The beads keeps them in balance for your drive back. There is no need for balancing at speeds <50 kmph.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:20   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 250
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Innovative Balancing (Dyna Beads) for Superbikes

Came across this site in USA.
I've on my motorcycle & can vouch for the dyna beads.
If you've sperbike, this is the best for your tires.
Reduces the vibration & increased tire life about 30% & best of all no tire balancing & no wheel weights as the beads works by themselves...

Not sure who sells this in India but I beleive another memeber "Gthang" here has it on his HD bike and he can give more inputs also

Dyna Beads for Motorcycle Riders and Dealers
shrini78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 11:01   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Innovative Balancing (Dyna Beads) for Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
Came across this site in USA.
I've on my motorcycle & can vouch for the dyna beads.
If you've sperbike, this is the best for your tires.
Reduces the vibration & increased tire life about 30% & best of all no tire balancing & no wheel weights as the beads works by themselves...

Not sure who sells this in India but I beleive another memeber "Gthang" here has it on his HD bike and he can give more inputs also

Dyna Beads for Motorcycle Riders and Dealers
Sorry am asking a novice question, what is the actual difference between the traditional wheel balancing and using the dyna beads?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 18:03   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 250
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Innovative Balancing (Dyna Beads) for Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Sorry am asking a novice question, what is the actual difference between the traditional wheel balancing and using the dyna beads?
you've to read the detailed post by gthang.
He tells you everything.
Wheel weights are ugly looking and does not do its job after 1000mls or so, whereas dyna beads they last until you change the tire & go with a new beads or you can take the existing ones and put it in new one
shrini78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 18:22   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Innovative Balancing (Dyna Beads) for Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrini78 View Post
you've to read the detailed post by gthang.
He tells you everything.
Wheel weights are ugly looking and does not do its job after 1000mls or so, whereas dyna beads they last until you change the tire & go with a new beads or you can take the existing ones and put it in new one
Woops, apologies, did read it in details and sounds pretty interesting. Would keep this in mind when i change tires for my bike and will provide my feedback. Cant we substitute the ceramic balls with regular metal balls? or is the mass of metals too much when compared to Ceramic balls?
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 20:44   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 250
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Innovative Balancing (Dyna Beads) for Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Woops, apologies, did read it in details and sounds pretty interesting. Would keep this in mind when i change tires for my bike and will provide my feedback. Cant we substitute the ceramic balls with regular metal balls? or is the mass of metals too much when compared to Ceramic balls?
I highly doubt going the metal way.
I saw another company similar to this called "centramatic" but instead of putting the ceramic beads inside the tires, they give you a small steel round plate.
When you change tires you remove your disc rotor and insert the centramatic round plate (this has same dyna beads in it, made outta ceramic) and then you put your disc rotor.

This is similar to dyna beads but instead of inside the tire this stays between hub & disc rotor.

FYI
Centramatic
shrini78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 21:16   #23
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore / MENA
Posts: 673
Thanked: 973 Times
Default Re: Innovative Balancing (Dyna Beads) for Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Woops, apologies, did read it in details and sounds pretty interesting. Would keep this in mind when i change tires for my bike and will provide my feedback. Cant we substitute the ceramic balls with regular metal balls? or is the mass of metals too much when compared to Ceramic balls?
What you want is a good compromise between size and density. If you had a large area to work with, like, say, a commercial vehicle tire, you could get away with larger balls. But with a motorcycle tire, you want about 2.5 oz (<50gm), which is typically what a superbike rear tire of profile 150-190, needs distributed in a much smaller area. There are other products out there, including hardened glass balls, silica dust, etc, etc. Ceramic beads have been found to have the best properties of hardness and density required for this application. There is also the issue of fouling with TPS sensors, valve stems, etc with other media.

If you find small bearing balls that are small enough, you could try the same, but go low on the weight. Good Luck.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 21:46   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Innovative Balancing (Dyna Beads) for Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
What you want is a good compromise between size and density. If you had a large area to work with, like, say, a commercial vehicle tire, you could get away with larger balls. But with a motorcycle tire, you want about 2.5 oz (<50gm), which is typically what a superbike rear tire of profile 150-190, needs distributed in a much smaller area. There are other products out there, including hardened glass balls, silica dust, etc, etc. Ceramic beads have been found to have the best properties of hardness and density required for this application. There is also the issue of fouling with TPS sensors, valve stems, etc with other media.

If you find small bearing balls that are small enough, you could try the same, but go low on the weight. Good Luck.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Suppose other characteristics of the ceramic material might make it work/suit better for this function. Not quite sure how a ball in a tire could foul TPS Sensor (throttle position sensor) if i understand your logic right.
PS: Not trying to argue/debate but trying to understand things better from your view. Simple case of seeing water in a glass...it could be either half filled or half empty
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 22:07   #25
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Coimbatore / MENA
Posts: 673
Thanked: 973 Times
Default Re: Innovative Balancing (Dyna Beads) for Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Suppose other characteristics of the ceramic material might make it work/suit better for this function. Not quite sure how a ball in a tire could foul TPS Sensor (throttle position sensor) if i understand your logic right.
PS: Not trying to argue/debate but trying to understand things better from your view. Simple case of seeing water in a glass...it could be either half filled or half empty

TPS when mentioned with reference to tires usually stands for Tire Pressure Sensor. Sorry for having used an acronym.

Sure it's water in your glass?

Cheers.
gthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 22:11   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
ku69rd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,293
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Innovative Balancing (Dyna Beads) for Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
TPS when mentioned with reference to tires usually stands for Tire Pressure Sensor. Sorry for having used an acronym.

Sure it's water in your glass?

Cheers.
aaahh i understand you better now; no need to be sorry mate. thanks for helping me out though
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2017, 21:26   #27
Newbie
 
jmjmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: KL44/At Sea
Posts: 19
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Wheel Balancing dynamically on my Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post

I will PM you the Indian manufacturer details.
Hi gthang, could you please PM me the contact details for the Indian manufacturer as well. The tyres on my Versys 650 are coming up for replacement and I'm having trouble finding a shop that'll balance my wheels for me. A search for an alternative led me to dynabeads and eventually to your post.

Thanks
jmjmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 07:56   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,746
Thanked: 7,964 Times
Default Re: Wheel Balancing dynamically on my Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
Hi gthang, could you please PM me the contact details for the Indian manufacturer as well. The tyres on my Versys 650 are coming up for replacement and I'm having trouble finding a shop that'll balance my wheels for me. A search for an alternative led me to dynabeads and eventually to your post.Thanks
Are you experiencing any major vibrations or uneven tyre wear?

There is no need for wheel balancing when you are changing your tyres. I have replaced my stock tyres on Versys and never did any wheel balancing and do not face any issues at all
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2017, 11:01   #29
Newbie
 
jmjmec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: KL44/At Sea
Posts: 19
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Wheel Balancing dynamically on my Superbike

@mobike008. No vibration or uneven wear on my stock tyres. Then again my stock wheels both came fitted with balance weights. If the factory thought it was worth the time effort and expense to balance the wheels before dispatching the bike, I think a little effort on my part to rebalance them after fitting new tyres is justified.

I'm still hoping to find a Tyre shop in Kochi that can balance my wheels but dyna beads are the fallback option.

Like you mentioned it's not absolutely essential to balance the wheels having fitted new tyres, seeing as how minor imbalance in the wheels often doesn't show any tangible effects in day to day riding but it is a good practice and something that will be part of my Tyre replacement routine. If I'm unable to find a shop to balance the wheels for me I've already drawn up plans to fabricate a simple static balancing stand.
jmjmec is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 10:25   #30
BHPian
 
Odeen12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 157 Times
Default Re: Wheel Balancing dynamically on my Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjmec View Post
@mobike008. No vibration or uneven wear on my stock tyres. Then again my stock wheels both came fitted with balance weights. If the factory thought it was worth the time effort and expense to balance the wheels before dispatching the bike, I think a little effort on my part to rebalance them after fitting new tyres is justified.
It's absolutely critical to have your wheels balanced. These motorcycles are capable of doing 170+kmph. When the tire rotates, asymmetries in the weight will cause the wheel to wobble. This puts pressure on the suspension, the calipers, break pads and of course the rim. You never know when you'll get hit by that tank slapper. Or something else.

At lower speeds it does not matter, but at high speeds it gets worse.

Balancing, overall will help the motorcycle ride better. Tire wear improves, handling improves. It's just a win situation with wheels balanced. It's a easy fix and all should have it done.

I was amazed that authorised dealers and showroom mechs do not know or care about balancing wheels. I got mine done through a well know Superbike mechanic. I was 40 gms off in the front and 85 gms at the back.

Cheers!
Odeen12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wheel alignment or wheel balancing?? leodelg Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 27 22nd June 2011 00:44
Breakdown Assistance for 1 year, Wheel Alignment & Wheel Balancing just for Rs 199 Mitsun Soni The Indian Car Scene 11 8th March 2011 11:02
Newbie questions - wheel balancing, wheel alignment. johy Technical Stuff 8 6th December 2006 10:39
Are wheel Balancing Weights normal on a new showroom car? Rishi Technical Stuff 4 11th May 2005 10:40


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks