Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 12th January 2011, 21:20   #1
BHPian

Default New to bike riding, should I buy the Ducati Monster

Hi guys,
I have never ridden on a bike ever. I know a little bit of bicycling but that's about it. I have been driving cars for over 18years now and have never had an accident as I am really cautious of traffic behaviour around me.
I am contemplating buying a Ducati Monster 796 and therefore have decided to learn motorcycle riding. I have a few concerns though and hope I find some help here:
1. Are bikes as dangerous as everyone around me has made them look?
2. How do I convince my elders to allow me to buy this bike.(I will be using the bike once or twice a month and that too after traffic hours in and around New Delhi).
3. Is wearing protective gear on normal riding insane?
4. Is it really tough to learn ride a bike proficiently and how long does it take?
5. Also is traffic behavior in Delhi a problem to ride a bike like this occasionaly?
Thanks in advance guys.
morphin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 21:35   #2
BHPian

Default Re: New to bike riding, should I buy the Ducati Monster

Would be a good idea to start with a low power bike and gradually move on. No Bhp to Monster is asking for trouble . And Honda bikes are supposed to be the most forgiving, world over.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think that rather than jumping to the Ducati rite away you should start with some thing smaller like may be a KARIZMA, Pulsar 220. because Buying a DUCATI as a first bike is great but i personaly think that i would not like to have a AMG as my first car. i would like to graduate slowly if not atlear go to the learning skool. i hope you get the drift.

and welcome to the new world of BIKES>
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 21:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Answers in line with your queries.

And yes as others have suggested its better to first learn on a lower capacity bike, get proficient and graduate to bigger and better bikes.

All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphin1 View Post
If you follow the safety norms of wearing the appropriate riding gear and have your head on your shoulders when on the road then bikes are safe.
Not at all.
4. Is it really tough to learn ride a bike proficiently and how long does it take?
If you are driving manual transmission cars then it will be a bit easy since you already know the basics. Balancing the bike and handling the traffic are 2 things to learn, which you will pick up gradually. If you have only driven automatics then it might take longer to learn
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 21:59   #5
BHPian

+1 to that..
buy a smaller bike first, then upgrade to a ducati monster.

But safety on a bike is not really upto the rider, regardless of how safe you are, you're at the mercy of everthing on the road.
From an oil spill or even gravel on the road, to pedestrians [read cattle], to animals [dogs, chickens, et al] to errant drivers. If anyone makes a mistake, you on the bike pay the price.

I've had my fair share of bike accidents, a few due to [not lack of control] my own stupidity, but the majority have been due to errant drivers breaking signals, pedestrians waiting for the bike to come close before stepping out infront and dancing...

But then again as they say
1> 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul
and 2> those who ride crash, some get up, some don't, some can't.

both very apt.

EDIT: maybe you should go in for an enfield rather than a HH karizma or a pulsar [Enfields are torquier & heavier]
Ducatis are very torquey bikes, hondas are usually high revving low torque. [This is based on what friends who have ridden the bikes have told me]

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 12th January 2011 at 22:04.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 22:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

I admire the spirit you have. Like everyone said, get a smaller bike and get used to the speed and balance and feel of a motorised bike, then when you are confident get the monster.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 00:49   #7
BHPian

Monster as your first bike--Mistake..
Ride a bike like the Pulsar 220, get used to it, learn to handle it in the traffic so that you can face any situation thrown at you. once you are confident, you can go for any bike you wish.
If you are learning to ride on a Monster, you wont be able to control the massive torque the bike has. Each and every biker, no matter how cautious he is gets caught in a tricky situation at some time. So better be prepared.
Tejas Ingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 10:29   #8
JVH
Senior - BHPian

morphin1, when I decided to buy a bike a few months ago, the monster was the first thing which came to my mind. Unlike you, I have ridden motorcycles but only until about 3.5 years ago..lol! After a few gyaan sessions from fellow BHPians and other rider friends to starts slowly, decided to take it easy and re-start the riding process with a 250cc and then gradually move up to 650 and a litre.

And I think, this should apply to you as well. Do let us know whatever book you book and safe riding mate!!!
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 11:35   #9
BHPian

Just go for the Monster. There is no thrill greater than feeling the wind in your hair (that doesn't mean you do not wear a helmet!).

Better than buying a different bike and going for an upgrade later, go for the Ducati since you can afford it.

Start by riding slow and on empty roads at first. In a month you will get the confidence to rip it and then, there's no stopping you - literally and figuratively!

Who knows after buying a smaller bike, in a couple of months you lose interest in biking and start feeling that a car drive is much better.

Go for it, I say.
travelwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 11:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Get a 2 seater convertible instead.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 12:02   #11
BHPian

Since you have made up your mind and you have the money so nothing stops you from owning your dream bike. However a word of caution, the power from Ducati needs to handled with great respect and responsibly.
Few tips from my 20 yrs of biking experience.
• Get used to the bikes and its controls well before venturing on crowed places
• You control the bike not the other way round
• Never race the bike in city as our roads and road conditions are so unpredictable, sometimes lightning fast reflexes may not be enough to save you.
• Always wear safety gear

Go get it..
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 12:06   #12
BHPian

Wow first bike and you need a monster - man I seriously admire your courage. I have been driving bikes since I was 12 and till date did not dare to go beyond the 250. Also if I even think of anything bigger - my family will disown me.

But a suggestion would be drive the 220 Pulsar or the R15 and then in a year you can graduate to the bigger bikes.
kailashnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 12:38   #13
BHPian

Irrespective of size and price, a better engineered and better handling vehicle is always easier to learn. Had our roads not been this congested then driving would have been far easier to learn on a Mercedes than on a M800.
My personal experience says the first experience matters a lot in shaping your interest towards a particular activity. If you have a bad first experience owing to an inferior vehicle you may not be able to feel the charm of riding. So I would say go for the monster, be cautious initially but you will surely love it later. If you know to ride a cycle then you can ride monster too(I am referring to the ability to balance a 2 -wheeler). Still if you are not confident then rent a bike for a week.
huntrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 06:34   #14
BHPian

Exclamation Re: New to bike riding, should I buy the Ducati Monster

Monster for a first bike. That sure is something! Your answers inline.

Quote:
Nope. They aren't. If you cannot handle the insane power, yes it is dangerous

2. How do I convince my elders to allow me to buy this bike.(I will be using the bike once or twice a month and that too after traffic hours in and around New Delhi).
Generally, no one directly jumps to a bike which costs lakhs of rupees. It's upto you as to how you can convince your parents if you want this bike right away

Not wearing protective gear, esp. on a powerful bike is insane.

You learn everyday, either you ride a bike or driver a car. You will face a gamut of situations and knowing how to handle each one of them takes time. Panic braking, counter-steering, dodging dancing ladies on the road and suicidal dogs. Yup! It takes quite sometime to become a good rider
rdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 06:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,
I have never ridden on a bike ever. I know a little bit of bicycling but that's about it. I have been driving cars for over 18years now and have never had an accident as I am really cautious of traffic behaviour around me.
I am contemplating buying a Ducati Monster 796 and therefore have decided to learn motorcycle riding. I have a few concerns though and hope I find some help here:
Congrats morphin1. However, I do echo everyone's concerns that learning on such a big motorcycle is not a good idea. But settling for a Pulsar 220 or R15 after dreaming of a Monster is going to be one hard decision.

IMO, the best starter bike for you will be the Honda CBR 250R. 1.8 lakhs with combined ABS- it would be a big bike to start with and would be enough to keep you entertained for 1- 2 years before you get comfortable with riding. Not to mention- it will still be a unique big bike for you- till you can graduate to the real superbike.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...d-cbr250r.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th January 2011 at 06:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote