Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports

Old 25th March 2011, 11:43   #1
BHPian

Default Next SBK on the Cards: Suzuki GSXR or Yamaha R1 Along with Suzuki Intruder

Hi guys, I am back yet again on Team-bhp for suggestions, advice & buying tips for my next SBK after the Ducati Monster 796.

It has been nearly about 4 months since the purchase of the Monster & now I am looking to buy 2 more SBK (Fingers Crossed). There has been a lot of confusion going on to decide which 1 to buy. I am considering 1 sports & 1 cruiser bike to go with. In the sports category, most of the confusion lies. The Contenders are the Suzuki GSXR vs Yamaha R1 vs Honda Fireblade. This time I am sure of getting a JAP SBK home rather then a Italian Monster.

So far what I have figured out is people prefer the Suzuki GSXR over the yamaha R1 but still have not figured out why is it. I Have driven the GSXR & thats 1 hell of a bike but dont have much knowledge about the R1. Things that I have to keep in mind before deciding are 1. Heat Factor 2. After Sale Service. 3 Wear & Tear of the bike over a period of time.

Looks wise I am more inclined towords the R1 but performance wise as suggested by a few is to go for the GSXR. Also any comments & Advice on the Honda FIREBLADE will help.

As for the other segment, I have almost sure of going for the Suzuki Intruder m1800r, as I am not a big fan of H.D ( No offence). The problem is there are only 2 colours available with the Malad Dealer that is Black & Blue. Now I like Black but it has been there in the market for the past 6 years & Blue is just too Jazzy for me. There is Maroon colour also available but how to call for it is something I am clueless.

Please do help me out with all your valuable suggestions once again.
nadim_90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 12:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Next SBK on the Cards: Suzuki GSXR or Yamaha R1 Along with Suzuki Intruder

Though I'm not much of a bike expert, from whatever I know from my brother whos a biker, I would say go for the Gixxer and the Intruder. There is nothing quite like the GSX1000 and my brother hates the riding position of the R1. As far as cruisers go you really dont have a lot of choice except the Intruder or something from the HD stable. Would suggest you stick to Japanese since they are reliable machines as compared to the Harleys.

As far as service goes maybe member pinnacle can throw some light on it. I havent heard too much good about Yamaha really and my brother gets the services on his Honda done himself.

Happy shopping

Last edited by Dippy : 25th March 2011 at 12:05.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 13:01   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Next SBK on the Cards: Suzuki GSXR or Yamaha R1 Along with Suzuki Intruder

Thanks dippy for your suggestion

I agree that Riding style matters a lot, Having driven the Ducati 1198 the riding style got me tired in just 15 mins, it was so uncomfortable.

What model does your bro has?
Old 25th March 2011, 17:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

The new R1 with the crossplane crankshaft has all the passionate superbikers drooling. But the Yamaha folks are yet to resolve the heating issues with the bike.

The R1 will cook your legs and nuts in traffic. The gixxer is a nice bike but personally i would recommend the Fireblade.

I know a guy who has the R1 and the blade and he loves the blade. Another close friend of mine bought the 2010 Blade and loves it to no end.

Most people might rattle off specifications, top whack etc. but that is hardly useful info since you would rarely ride at even half those numbers.

Best judge is yourself Ride them and go with what your heart says.

All the best and keep us posted.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 18:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim_90210 View Post
Thanks dippy for your suggestion

I agree that Riding style matters a lot, Having driven the Ducati 1198 the riding style got me tired in just 15 mins, it was so uncomfortable.

What model does your bro has?
Mr brother rides a Honda Valkyrie F6 1500 GL
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 21:50   #6
BHPian

Nadim,
Why no 848 Evo? 2011 1098 is bloody awesome as well!

EDIT: Just saw your post above :-(

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 25th March 2011 at 21:53.
sriramv.iyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 21:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The new R1 with the crossplane crankshaft has all the passionate superbikers drooling. But the Yamaha folks are yet to resolve the heating issues with the bike.

The R1 will cook your legs and nuts in traffic. The gixxer is a nice bike but personally i would recommend the Fireblade.

I know a guy who has the R1 and the blade and he loves the blade. Another close friend of mine bought the 2010 Blade and loves it to no end.

Most people might rattle off specifications, top whack etc. but that is hardly useful info since you would rarely ride at even half those numbers.

Best judge is yourself Ride them and go with what your heart says.

All the best and keep us posted.

I have seen the heating issue of the Ducati 1198 & boy it sure toast your nuts. During day times u literally have to stop the bike to cool down a bit so I am quite sure I dont want to experience that with my legs & nuts.

I have driven the fireblade in bangkok for a day & I totally agree with you about the bike. Its one of the most easy to ride SKB around so definetly I am considering the fireblade.

Heart Says R1 but nuts & legs dont agree to it & so looking for more advice to convince myself.

Thanks for ur suggestion over the R1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Nadim,
Why no 848 Evo? 2011 1098 is bloody awesome as well!

EDIT: Just saw your post above :-(
The Italian Is a fab looking bike but trust me not that comfortable to ride it & the after sales service in mumbai is really a pain. Besides that I dont like the firing of any of the Ducati Bikes :P
Old 25th March 2011, 22:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Though I'm not much of a bike expert, from whatever I know from my brother whos a biker, I would say go for the Gixxer and the Intruder. There is nothing quite like the GSX1000 and my brother hates the riding position of the R1.
Both GSXR and R1 suspensions can be adjusted to make for a more suitable riding position. IMHO, both are fine bikes and hard to find differentiating factors for street riding. Even,if you plan to hit the tracks, both are very capable bikes.

I never consider the way it looks, as I hardly get to see my bike in the mirrors

In the heat (of the desert), almost all bikes heat up pretty bad. In fact my VFR is the worst offender, so anything that has radiator facing the front of the bike will be cooler than a VFR. I am sure it will be unbearably hot on the GSXR in the middle of the day, while stuck in traffic.

n_aditya,
Just curious, are there any links or press articles about excessive heating on R1?

nadim,
Honestly, (for me, I am 6' 1") Monster is much more upright and comfortable compared to both the GSXR and R1. Perhaps the VFR1200 can suit you better for comfort.

Last edited by prasadee : 25th March 2011 at 22:34.
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 02:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Honda Fireblade! I found the gixxer to be more comfortable for me as it has more leg room. I would still go with the Honda. Honda service is also much cheaper. Suzuki service is unnecessarily expensive.
straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 08:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you go for the GSXR and the Intruder.Intruder because there is frankly no other option.HD is that price bracket is a no no.

The GSXR because it has modes for easier riding.The seating stance is towards a comfortable side.

I didn't really understand when a member above said that using suspension you can make it more comfortable.It cannot.The seating stance will remain the same.Ride height cannot be altered.

Also later on you can install Helibars for the GSXR.These are basically a new set of Clip ons for the bike which will give a Rise and Pull back of about 1 inch each.So it'll be more comfy.These Helibars are built to very very high standards and are very good and reliable.Sometimes even better than the original.

Lastly try all the suzuki showrooms including the pune showroom.On buying 2 suzukis you should be getting a very good discount.They had offered a handsome discount on the bandit and i bet it'll be very good for both the bikes together.
Money saved can be used for anything else.Bling,performance,safety,Fuel.

You really are on a roll man! way to go!
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 12:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasadee View Post
nadim,
Honestly, (for me, I am 6' 1") Monster is much more upright and comfortable compared to both the GSXR and R1. Perhaps the VFR1200 can suit you better for comfort.
The Monster is absolutely a delight to ride specially in Mumbai city. Even I am 6'1 & get no probs in getting around on the Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Honda Fireblade! I found the gixxer to be more comfortable for me as it has more leg room. I would still go with the Honda. Honda service is also much cheaper. Suzuki service is unnecessarily expensive.

Talking about expensive service, I think no 1 beats Ducati in that segment. I am quite sure about Suzuki will be cheaper then that. I am still more inclined for the GSXR then the fire blade keeping the peformace, comfort & the looks in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I would suggest you go for the GSXR and the Intruder.Intruder because there is frankly no other option.HD is that price bracket is a no no.

The GSXR because it has modes for easier riding.The seating stance is towards a comfortable side.

I didn't really understand when a member above said that using suspension you can make it more comfortable.It cannot.The seating stance will remain the same.Ride height cannot be altered.

Also later on you can install Helibars for the GSXR.These are basically a new set of Clip ons for the bike which will give a Rise and Pull back of about 1 inch each.So it'll be more comfy.These Helibars are built to very very high standards and are very good and reliable.Sometimes even better than the original.

Lastly try all the suzuki showrooms including the pune showroom.On buying 2 suzukis you should be getting a very good discount.They had offered a handsome discount on the bandit and i bet it'll be very good for both the bikes together.
Money saved can be used for anything else.Bling,performance,safety,Fuel.

You really are on a roll man! way to go!

I have set my mind on the Intruder, its just the colour that I am not sure off. I would like to own a Maroon but the dealer has it in Blue & Black.

Also a rough idea on the amount of discount I should expect fromt the dealer. Pricing for the intruder is ( 14.37 on road) & for the GSXR ( 14.67 on road).

Getting my finance in place, till then keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Old 26th March 2011, 13:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well a rough idea would be, around 50k off offered by the pune dealer on the Bandit.Rest you have to play it hard.Infact if you have a lady in the house who does a lot of shopping then take them with you.Will get you an even better deal.These dealers have huge margins on the bikes.
navpreet318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 12:25   #13
BHPian

Hey guys any details on Aprilia coming in India along with the price list??
Old 31st March 2011, 13:22   #14
BHPian

Aprilia has been launched in India. I think the RSV4 cost around 16.5 lakhs.

In my humble opinion you cannot go wrong with any of Japs Inline be it R1 or GSXR or Fireblade. As far as Reviews go Firebalde is the best to live with.

For cruiser you might try the Ducati Diavel also. Its one awesome looking bike.
I guess it has also been launched in india. Its a bit pricey but it is going to be exclusive bike plus it has all the performance and looks one can need although I meet add Intruder is also one hell of a looker. i am sure you will get a test drive of Diavel considering you already own a Ducati.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 11:22   #15
BHPian

Just got in touch with the dealers of Aprilia. The estimated costing of the 2 models of RSV4 will be around 13 to 17 lakhs. The booking will start in 2 weeks from now. So holding on to the price to come out.

As for the Japs bikes are concerned, there is hardly any doubts with the reliability so will check the Aprilia before making the final call.

As for the Cruiser , the Diavel not doubt is an awesome looking machine but it is way out of budget. So might stick to the Intruder