Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 11:12   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Hey Nikhil, now that you have switched to normal petrol instead of 97 what is the difference you can feel?
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 11:43   #32
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 535
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Hey Nikhil, now that you have switched to normal petrol instead of 97 what is the difference you can feel?
I felt more vibes in the last 2 night rides. specially when running in the low revs , around 2-4 k rpm. I will switch to shell regular fuel to see how that is or to IOC xtra premium.
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 13:47   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

^is the manual specific to India?

Fuel quality in Japan/SEA is normally better than ours. Add to that, adulteration at the pump.

This factor might make or break my aspiration for the bike.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 15:11   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
^is the manual specific to India?

Fuel quality in Japan/SEA is normally better than ours. Add to that, adulteration at the pump.

This factor might make or break my aspiration for the bike.
unless you are redlining every minute or trying to extract every bhp of your bike , normal petrol should be good enough for normal riding .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 15:29   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
unless you are redlining every minute or trying to extract every bhp of your bike , normal petrol should be good enough for normal riding .
I respectfully disagree.

These are high compression engines (and high revving engines) so its best to stick to what's mentioned in the owners manual, whether one is pottering around town or blasting away on the highway.

While regular unleaded fuel may not show signs of degraded performance almost immediately (knocking, detonation, etc.) in the long run it can damage the internals of the engine and/or also the cat-con.

Its a well known fact that we are supplied with low quality fuel, adulterated with contaminants and also compromised on volume/quantity.

I wouldn't take a chance with my bike, no way sir. If i am spending a packet or two on a bike or a car, a few rupees more for better fuel and lubricants would hardly matter. But then again, this is me. Others might feel otherwise
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 15:51   #36
BHPian
 
gsferrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 842
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Congratulations and welcome to the Yamaha family. Please request to join the facebook group for the Yamaha CBUs (message me on Facebook). If you know any other FZ1 owners...rope them in as well.

Use 97 octane whenever possible and 91-93 in a pinch (Speed / Xtrapremium are around 91 octane). Don't use Octane boosters. The engine is new so it will run a bit hot. This gets better over time as the parts "run-in".

Last edited by gsferrari : 13th April 2011 at 15:52.
gsferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 16:08   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Don't use Octane boosters.
+1. See below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post2311989

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post2312231

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th April 2011 at 16:09.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 16:40   #38
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread


Aditya - Do you know where in Bangalore we get 97 Octane?

Asking since this would indirectly benefit some of the Bangaloreans else you can delete. Thanks!
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 17:02   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,206
Thanked: 2,742 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Aditya - Do you know where in Bangalore we get 97 Octane?

Asking since this would indirectly benefit some of the Bangaloreans else you can delete. Thanks!
97 Octane is available at the BP bunk (Speed97) on residency road (just before brigade road on the left).

Edit - IIRC, this bunk goes by the name Nagpal's.

This might help too - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...bangalore.html

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th April 2011 at 17:09.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 08:28   #40
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 535
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I respectfully disagree.

These are high compression engines (and high revving engines) so its best to stick to what's mentioned in the owners manual, whether one is pottering around town or blasting away on the highway.

While regular unleaded fuel may not show signs of degraded performance almost immediately (knocking, detonation, etc.) in the long run it can damage the internals of the engine and/or also the cat-con.

Its a well known fact that we are supplied with low quality fuel, adulterated with contaminants and also compromised on volume/quantity.

I wouldn't take a chance with my bike, no way sir. If i am spending a packet or two on a bike or a car, a few rupees more for better fuel and lubricants would hardly matter. But then again, this is me. Others might feel otherwise
Speed 97 is an overkill for fz1 as manual recommends 91 octane fuel. I think I will start putting in xtrapremium on a regular basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Congratulations and welcome to the Yamaha family. Please request to join the facebook group for the Yamaha CBUs (message me on Facebook). If you know any other FZ1 owners...rope them in as well.

Use 97 octane whenever possible and 91-93 in a pinch (Speed / Xtrapremium are around 91 octane). Don't use Octane boosters. The engine is new so it will run a bit hot. This gets better over time as the parts "run-in".
Thanks. Am already there in the group . Akhil had added me there.
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 09:43   #41
BHPian
 
aa_asif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: KL 07 > KA 03
Posts: 244
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

First of all, My Hearty Congratulations to you!! FZ1 is a very capable machine and it can do many magics.

I read that FZ1 has 11.50:1 as compression ratio.This should make the choice of fuel much less and you would be forced to go for anything above normal petrol available around ( Atleast Speed93?? ) .
Now that you have switched to normal petrol, Could you throw some light on your monster's behavior?
aa_asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 11:28   #42
BHPian
 
niks_devil666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 535
Thanked: 236 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

thanks.
I have already posted that manual says 91 octane. With regular fuel , the vibes were noticeable.
I will fill premium fuel (as posted in my last reply) and then see the change in performance.
niks_devil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 11:33   #43
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by niks_devil666 View Post
Speed 97 is an overkill for fz1 as manual recommends 91 octane fuel.
Compression ratio is 11.5:1 right? I recall reading somewhere that higher compression ratio requires higher octane fuel. Just as a comparo, Ducati Monster 796's is 11:1 and the recommended fuel is 95 octane.

So, posing a general question here. On what all parameters is the octane number specified? CR would be one and I might be missing on several others....would be great if someone enlightens. Thanks!
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 13:58   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

^ the above post definitely is right but the confusing thing is why would Yamaha print 91 octane for this high compression ration engine?

From what I gather reading the Octane story is that higher the Octane the better engine management is able to control the burn and thus better performance/less vibration/better economy and torque/power graph.

Filling Octane 97 will be better than Octane 95 in Yamaha FZ1 but Yamaha asking owners to run with 91 does not make sense.

Nikhil premium petrol is not 95 but 91 itself with additives that are not good for your engine. I had a rather long discussion with my service engineer at Honda and this was the reason for ivtec engines Honda still wants owners to fill 91 normal available now in most metros (engine compression 10.5:1)

Gasoline : Natural Gas Companies : Gas Industry Jobs

I think you will be better off using 97.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 15:23   #45
BHPian
 
amoghchaphalkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 554
Thanked: 248 Times
Default Re: FZ1 Ownership Thread

Hearty Congratulations Nikhil !! "Kitna deti hain" ? :lol

Time to have a "FZ1 Delight" on MotoCafe's menu ?

And I hope you remember that I am yet to see the bike.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Superbikes, which one? Finally bought the Yamaha FZ1 ku69rd Superbikes & Imports 64 27th March 2015 09:57
SBK tales - Picking an SBK, Biker style! The Yamaha FZ1 kingofmyworld Superbikes & Imports 33 10th February 2014 10:04
Ducati Monster 796 Vs Yamaha FZ1 EDIT - Bought A Red Monster shayne Superbikes & Imports 130 10th February 2012 15:40
What Bike ?? CB1000R/FZ1/Hyosung650N/HD883 Iron Xantos Superbikes & Imports 38 26th November 2011 20:21
Yamaha FZ1 - Technical Specifications & Feature List bluevolt Superbikes & Imports 2 21st September 2011 19:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks