Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 28th July 2011, 21:12   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Hi,

Thanks!

I have the Pioneer AVH 3250DVD HU. Any idea on how much the GPS add-on unit would cost? Which would be a most cost effective solution for GPS?

Is door damping required for a Fortuner?

Nitin

Last edited by nitinbose : 28th July 2011 at 21:25.
Old 30th July 2011, 19:53   #137
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone!

This is the third day! I had installed the audio system, back bumper guard, front parking sensors and 3M sunfilm (including the front windshield).

The pics are as posted.

I had also done the 3M paint protection and 3M under chassis painting, at the 3M store, HSR layout. I did like and enjoy the experience at the 3M outlet, the staff were courteous and delivered the car on time. They did not offer any discounts, however. :-(

The space below the driver seat of the Fortuner is not sufficient to place an amplifier since most of that space is used up by some sensors. In my case, the left side is therefore used by the monoblock amp and the right side is used by the 4-channel (fit somehow).

I shall now have to fit the amps on the sub-box, which means a complete rewiring to be done. I had argued with Thouqeer on the damping part, but he simply smiled and said, "you just wait and see the results" Indeed, his words came true, the sound now seems to come directly from the speakers, rather than the entire door cavity echoing, and unwanted bass.

The front sensors are really helpful especially when parking or making close turns. Most people mention the front sensors to be annoying but I learnt the trick by stoping when 2-3 of the LEDs glow, as the buzzer sounds from the fourth LED onwards.

I'm also noticing huge difference in the 3M sunfilm (CR 70 for windshield and CS 20 for sides and rear), the glare is hugely reduced and no longer feel the sun's heat. The a/c seems more effective.

Toyota seems to have improved the brakes a lot. The only part I do not like about the fortuner is the headlights - they seem weak as compared to the stock headlamps of the Innova.

I could not have the projector lamps I'd removed from the Innova to be installed in the Fortuner. I have to go for 2x HID kits.

The ride quality is really good and enjoyable that I feel sleepy soon. You'd feel the vehicle is moving slowly until you glance at the speed-o-meter, similar to the experience you get in Volvo buses.

I'm also planning on getting the Prado type grill.

So far, my experience with the Fortuner is really good. You wont feel a thing when the car goes over moderate pot holes or bumps! The engine is pretty silent as compared to the Innova or other diesel vehicles and you can easily hear the audio from your ICE or road.

The Fortuner also comes with the centralized locking system with Immobilizer. The doors lock automatically when the car crosses about 20Kph. Similarly, the key has a separate button to sound the alarm by the press of a button to deter intruders. The alarm also sounds if you try to lock the doors with one or more of the doors improperly locked/shut.
If you set the internal roof lamps to the "door" position and open the doors the lights turn "ON" The lights remain "ON" until you lock the car using the central locking system or you get in the car.

This is a useful feature! I am still in the process of exploring! Would update as and when I find them.

Now you may enjoy the pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-dsc01884.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 31st July 2011, 20:06   #138
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone!

Today is the third day!

I'd forgotten to tell you about the seats. The fortuner seats are not very soft in nature which makes the seats comfortable and prevents backaches especially during long drives. The thigh support is also pretty good.

The rear seats can also be reclined which adds to the comfort.

The best part I liked is the sound-proofing of the car where you hear little engine noise and the extreme smooth nature of the car!

I hope I've given sufficient reasons for giving 25lacs for the car!
Old 31st July 2011, 20:09   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Nitin! Looks like loads of grooming is going into your new Fortuner
Looking forward to a detailed ownership review!
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:46   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations Nitin! Looks like loads of grooming is going into your new Fortuner
Looking forward to a detailed ownership review!
vb-san, Thanks! This is already a detailed ownership review, I am explaining everything as I stumble upon. Just that I do not want to bore everybody with the usual review and Fortuner pics, which is already flooded in the various forums.

A couple of more facts: The ORVMs are not only electrically adjustable but also electrically foldable. The room lights are also automatic, when the car is parked in the dark and you turn remove the key and open the door, the lights turn ON and remain ON until you use the security system to lock the vehicle.
However, if the car is parked in a bright environment, the room lights do not come ON!.

The current mileage I'm getting is 9KM/liter, in city driving conditions.

The front parking sensors are really a boon when parking, negotiating close corners/turns or when parking close to vehicles.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:09   #141
Senior - BHPian

Nitin,

A few questions:

1. Did the ICE installers do a great job e.g. tuning, while putting back the door panels (no rattles)

2. How different did you find the sound quality (assuming you tested just the speakers initially) without the sub and the amp - just with changed speakers?

I am thinking of changing the stock speakers, so wanted some inputs.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:49   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Nitin,

A few questions:

1. Did the ICE installers do a great job e.g. tuning, while putting back the door panels (no rattles)

2. How different did you find the sound quality (assuming you tested just the speakers initially) without the sub and the amp - just with changed speakers?

I am thinking of changing the stock speakers, so wanted some inputs.
Hi,

1. Yes, they did a fantastic job - no problems observed.
2. They sound better now because of the damping and stronger door panels. I have not changed anything, its the same setup that existed in my Innova, just that I added the damping.

You need to change the stock speakers only if you're considering changing the stock HU or if there's jarring/distortion, else there's no point. Damping is a must if you're putting a high wattage setup. The speakers sound the same (quality) with and without the amp. just the loudness increases with the amp.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:00   #143
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Because the DLS amps would not fit properly under the Fortuner seats, I had to fix them somewhere else. That's when Thouqeer came up with a brilliant idea! - to fix them at teh boot part. Make a wooden platform and fix the monoblock on it, then build a box to cover the monoblock and install the 4-channel amp on this box cover. This way, I could re-use the boot and fold the seats.

In case I need to remove the amps, its just a matter of removing two screws and pulling the wires, no damage or tears or unwanted drilling of holes.

Along with this, i added the chrome kit for the fortuner. The kit is from ABS.

Please find the pics.

I hope everyone is reading the posts as I'm not finding much people asking questions or commenting. .
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-img00047201108021823.jpg  

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-img00048201108021823.jpg  

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-img00049201108021824.jpg  

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-img00050201108021826.jpg  

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-img00051201108021842.jpg  

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-img00052201108021842.jpg  

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-img00053201108022058.jpg  

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-img00054201108022058.jpg  

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-img00055201108022100.jpg  

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-img00056201108022100.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2011, 11:26   #144
Team-BHP Support

Your car was done perfectly, until the chrome. It looks very tacky. If I were you I would get rid of it.

Otherwise you have done great upgrades on the ICE and the Tints. Great colour choice too.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:43   #145
Senior - BHPian

@nitinbose - Please dont overdo the things. The beauty of simple flowing design is more pleasing to the eye. Also ICE upgrades should be as inconspicuous as possible. However its your vehicle and your personal likes and dislikes are paramount. You have a fantastic looking vehicle, enjoy it...

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd August 2011 at 11:44.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:07   #146
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what dkaile said Nitin. The Fortuner has a lot of character when it is left simple yet tough looking. Chrome is so old gen.

Also, this thread should now be closed since you have chosen your car. You can share your initial ownership experiences on that section.
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:49   #147
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I have seen the chrome finishes in most of the Fortuners and almost everyone who buys a Fortuner takes these chrome finishes. I guess its my poor quality pics that's probably not giving the impressions. I'm now trying to get the prado type grill, already placed the order at Nandi Toyota.

But the best part are the front parking sensors. The product is from steel mate, imported by Caska. There are four sensors mounted on the front bumper with a led bar display on the dashboard. This system really assists me in parking the Fortuner, negotiating small turns, curves etc. This was the first front parking sensor system installed at Autofushion.
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:29   #148
BHPian

hi nitin
Firstly, congratulations on your new acquisition. Your sound and HDU are awesome..IMO i would drop the chrome finish as it does border on tackyness, sorry..

I have been considering installing park assist for on of my cars. Hows is steelmate (could you post pics pls)? i was offered some taiwanese at one of shops here in Mumbai.
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:14   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
hi nitin
Firstly, congratulations on your new acquisition. Your sound and HDU are awesome..IMO i would drop the chrome finish as it does border on tackyness, sorry..

I have been considering installing park assist for on of my cars. Hows is steelmate (could you post pics pls)? i was offered some taiwanese at one of shops here in Mumbai.
Is the chrome fittings that bad?

The steelmate front park assist system is pretty good and sensitive and not annoying. The cost is INR 5100/-
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:24   #150
BHPian

great thats a sensible price, the taiwanese ones i have seen are 4300/- odd, will sort this over the weekend at the shops @ opera house..

well about the chrome, its more about what you like than others here, including myself, nothing like an original and tough looking Fortuner...once again IMO. Cheers drive safe
Closed Thread