Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 9th June 2012, 22:00   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

I had chance to visit Skoda Dealer yesterday here in Chandigarh and they are offering about Rs 1,5 Lac Discount on 2011 Models , they have no idea when will they get 2012 Models as the last Year cars are still lying with them. I will suggest you to Test Drive Koleos - with recent cut , new price here is about Rs 23 Ex Showroom it seems to be better value considering its CBU .
Old 11th June 2012, 10:28   #182
BHPian

With Koleos, again the *** and spares cost etc would be the issue, they're still not yet that old and proven in Indian context as compared to a Honda / Chevy / Hyundai / Ford. I would still recommend to look towards CRV, Endeavor, SantaFe or Captiva rather than a Yeti or Fortuner.
Although I dont own any of these machines but its just another 2 cents, to complete your dollar. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 11th June 2012, 12:30   #183
Senior - BHPian

Koleos does not seem to have updated safety features such as ESP etc
Old 11th June 2012, 20:40   #184
Senior - BHPian

After spending 2-3 months looking for a used SUV from 7 to 10 lacs (GV, Outlander) to Pajero SFX ( 12-14 lacs), and not finding one that I can content with, I am now planning to up my budget and buy a new one instead. And it needs to be a diesel! I have been following some threads on Yeti and on international sites and the more I read it, more impressed I am. And yes, I am deciding between a Yeti (4x4 elagance) and a fortuner (4x4 MT).

My requirements:
1. A diesel SUV for highways and outstation trips (to Leh, Srinagar etc)
2. Being spoilt by the handling and fun nature of my Civic, I would want the same characteristics in this SUV.
3. Size is of less significance. However, it should be able to carry decent size baggages, fishing gears etc. I don't see carrying more than 4 or 5 passengers, so 3rd row seats are not required (99% times)
4. Supplement my petrol guzzler on City drive. In fact with the petrol price roaring high, I plan to use it as frequently for the city too and may be, limit the use of the Civic for secondary role.
5. Low NVH. This is going to be my first diesel and going by the nature of diesel engine, I understand its going to be noisy outside. But I am hoping its a different story on the inside.
6. Very high on safety (airbags, discs brakes, ABD+EBD, ESP, traction control etc...)
7. Interior quality should at least match my Civic, if not league ahead.
8. Should be reliable (i.e, I should not be left stranded in the middle of the trip)
9. Ownership - Low on the pocket
10. Plan to keep it for minimum 4-5 years. Don't care about the resale much.
11. Don't plan to do serious offroading. but it should have a competent AWD that will take me to places which are not doable with normal FWD cars/hatch/sedans.

So, the question is Yeti (4x4) or Fortuner (4x4). My budget is 20 lacs (ideal). Fortuner will be far stretched for me financially. But nevertheless trying to see the reasoning on 'why not Fortuner'? At 7 lacs more, what additional value do I get from a Fortuner 4x4 MT? Would appreciate your inputs.

Interaction so far with the dealers:

Skoda

I had been in contact with a Skoda dealer in delhi, and after a few minutes of haggling and negotiations, they are are ready to offer around 1.75 lac discount on the elegance variant, 2011 models. This including the 4 yrs Skoda Shield/extended warranty. I had asked for more discount citing the 2011 model, and that it is the 4X4 variant which does not sell much than 4X2 ones. And from the tone of the conversation, they are opened to it, and said, the day I finalize and book the car, we can sit together and work out the discount on offer. I had asked for 2.5 lacs discount. Lets see how much they can relent. Getting a test drive tomorrow at my residence. I am hoping to get a deal of around 18 lacs on road for the elegance 4x4 with the skoda shield. fingers crossed!

Toyota:
I had a few words with a south delhi dealer. No discount at all. Infact, I got a laugh from the salesman . On road, I am being quoted 25.6 lacs. Planning a test drive tomorrow hopefully.

Last edited by iTNerd : 11th June 2012 at 21:04.
Old 11th June 2012, 20:55   #185
Senior - BHPian

@iTNerd: The heavy discounts on the Yeti is because its soon going to have a facelift and skoda is trying to clear the existing stocks.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 21:05   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
@iTNerd: The heavy discounts on the Yeti is because its soon going to have a facelift and skoda is trying to clear the existing stocks.
I heard the facelift is only going to come in early 2013 in India. If it is shortly due, well that will increase my leverage and bargaining power
Old 11th June 2012, 22:31   #187
BHPian

Nowhere I heard about Yeti facelift coming this year, 2 images of Yeti being tested has been floating around Internet but for sure they are not near to release may be in 2013, the dimensions possibly will remain same the only changes might be on the front to take care of new family look. Nonetheless do negotiate as much as possible by all means. I find it really strange but we all compare T-Fort and Yeti every time, both these vehicle are really different and serves different purpose.
T-Fort is a SUV with low range which allows it to do serious off road and can possibly get you out of tricking situation, it also has the ground clearance on it side, if you are looking for serious SUV then no question asked you have to have T-Fort.
Yeti is a car, with AWD hardware which is electronically controlled and possible can handle few rough and tough situations better and comfortable than other cars, but don't expect them to handle this always, there is no match to real 4wd hardware with 4H and 4L ratio, Yeti is mostly a Car which can do some pseudo SUV act, the small and compact dimension helps in city too, while T-Fort is tough SUV which can take lot more abuse and can munch miles on highway but the dimension can have some problem in city run.
If you know the going is going to be tough and you take more off bit roads better to go with T-Fort, but you are always going to be with in road limit and not looking for those off bit roads Yeti might fit better.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 09:53   #188
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Took a detailed TD of the yeti yesterday.

I have the following doubts which require your suggestions:

1. The skoda site and Yeti brochure mentions the vehicle to be "permanent four-wheel drive". According to me this means all the four wheels receive traction, just like in a Fortuner. However the SC told me in city driving, the Yeti functions like a two wheel drive and when the conditions mandate, it would switch to four-wheel drive.

2. At speeds above 120, I noticed instability, the car seems to sway a little and felt "weightless", Yeti-lovers, do you experience the same, or it could be a fault of the TD vehicle?

3. What is the speaker size on the Yeti? Can we install a 6.5" on the doors? I have the audio system which I'd removed from the Fortuner, and it did cost me a Fortuner, so I wish to install it in my new car and this is a mandatory condition.
Old 12th June 2012, 10:13   #189
Senior - BHPian

@ ITNerd: Yeti is a better fit for you. If you are looking for handling, additional safety features, and don't need the space or the low range, why go for a Fortuner?

And as pramods says (and I keep saying), why compare a crossover with a body on frame? Be clear about your needs, and the best fit or segment of vehicle will come out naturally.

Leh can be done in most vehicles - and people are doing that. If you want to take up less known trails and destinations, that is a different matter.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 12th June 2012 at 10:16.
Old 12th June 2012, 10:19   #190
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nilanjan,

We're talking of a 20+ lakhs investment, so I have to think from many angles... hehehehe

So am comparing every nity-gritty. Still I would like Yeti owners to suggest on my observations above.
Old 12th June 2012, 10:26   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Took a detailed TD of the yeti yesterday.

I have the following doubts which require your suggestions:

1. The skoda site and Yeti brochure mentions the vehicle to be "permanent four-wheel drive". According to me this means all the four wheels receive traction, just like in a Fortuner. However the SC told me in city driving, the Yeti functions like a two wheel drive and when the conditions mandate, it would switch to four-wheel drive.

2. At speeds above 120, I noticed instability, the car seems to sway a little and felt "weightless", Yeti-lovers, do you experience the same, or it could be a fault of the TD vehicle?

3. What is the speaker size on the Yeti? Can we install a 6.5" on the doors? I have the audio system which I'd removed from the Fortuner, and it did cost me a Fortuner, so I wish to install it in my new car and this is a mandatory condition.

Hi Nitin,

Yes, it is actually a permanent 4 wheel drive, with Haldex Electro mechanical couplings. These are basically like electronically engaged clutches which based on tyre speeds and slip, direct the torque to any combination of the wheels in fact it can even direct almost 80% of the torque to one wheel if the other three are slipping. In normal city conditions it directs 90% torque to front wheels and behaves very much like a FWD. In conditions where is less traction on all 4 wheels (like snow/ ice) it will direct equal amount of torque to all four wheels.
Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-yeti4x4.jpg

(pic from Skoda Yeti UK Brochure)

On point 2, the skittish feeling is due to the OEM Goodyear tyres, which are truly pathetic. I changed my tyres to Yokohama C-Drives and the difference in road noise and road grip is huge. Now it feels well planted even till 160-170, which it never used to earlier at speeds above 120. More on my ownership link here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2790665 (Battle of the X-Breeds : SKoda Yeti Vs Mahindra XUV5OO)

Point 3: I am not sure whether fitting larger speakers would be possible, as it may spoil the fit finish and Skoda are really finicky about third party electrical/ electronic equipment. The OEM system in the Elegance is actually very good and though it is not top end Audiphile equipment, it gives very crystal clear sound and has good features. Mine is an Ambiente variant with the Swing system, which is also very good and by far it is one of the best OEM systems in terms of audio quality I have seen and it does not disappoint in terms of sound. Maybe other Yeti owners with the Elegance variant can comment more on the Sound quality.

All the best.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 12th June 2012 at 10:41.
Old 12th June 2012, 10:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

@nitin
Since you have been dissatisfied with your previous Fortuner, you should choose the Yeti this time around. Though I still feel that overall the Fortuner is the better SUV. But most people I see (including me) don't use our SUV's for its true intended purpose and they are more used like trucks in the daily urban jungle commute. Then there are some like Nilanjan who just use their Fortuner to the max (see his mouth watering Tiger photos for how to do justice to a SUV).

The Yeti will be more car like, though I am yet to come to terms with its almost miniature on-road presence especially from the back where it feels like a Wagon-R sized vehicle going around. But inside is a totally different story and it is as loaded as any premium vehicle, which pampers you to the fullest. Trust me on Skoda pampering, because of which I hardly take my Fortuner around these days, which has now been relegated to my brother mostly and I stick mostly to the Superb.

I would also advice against speaker upgrade as sound quality is quite satisfactory in the Skoda (better than the Toyota). Also the Yeti has manual transmission so you should be protected from DSG issues. I had been offered around 2.5L discount a month back on the 2011 manufactured Yeti's from my Haldwani dealer (who also somehow gets it registered as 2012 made vehicle, lolz).

So, if 'space' and 'presence' is NOT what you require, you can go safely for a Yeti as a personal driven vehicle.

Last edited by dkaile : 12th June 2012 at 11:02.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:10   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
@nitin
Since you have been dissatisfied with your previous Fortuner, you should choose the Yeti this time around.
Hi dkaile,

I didnt sell the Fortuner because I disliked it, but because I got a good price. The launch of the 2012 Fortuner reduces the resale value of the previous model. To make things worse for me, it was on car lease and I changed companies and had to transfer the Fort to my name, which made me the 2nd owner and the person buying it would be the third owner.

Obviously, this would significantly reduce the resale value as time passes, which was when I got a good buyer who offered me what I'd expected.

So there I am... evaluating the Fortuner and the Yeti once again. A choice is very difficult as I find the vehicles neck-to-neck!
Old 12th June 2012, 11:18   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A choice is very difficult as I find the vehicles neck-to-neck!
If you can justify the extra 7 lacs and truly require a SUV for its size, off-roading, presence and space, then you should choose a Fortuner. Otherwise the Yeti is a better urban commuter.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:28   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
If you can justify the extra 7 lacs and truly require a SUV for its size, off-roading, presence and space, then you should choose a Fortuner. Otherwise the Yeti is a better urban commuter.

True, but based on the posts of most Yeti owners, I'll have to sacrifice ~50K for the tyre upgrades. What is the maximum speed that's been achieved on the Yeti so far by the bhp owners? Is there any way to add GPS to the stock HU (not Caska please)
Closed Thread