Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 15th June 2012, 20:18   #271
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
How about upsizing tyres for the Yeti to 225/55/R17? Would it affect the performance adversely?
Infact it will be better since you will get more grip with 225s. But your ride will definitely become stiffer, but expect even better handling then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Warranty issues with suspension. General upsizing not recommended. Do check again with Behemoth.
Warranty cannot be void for that. The Yeti comes with 225/50 R17 abroad in some models.
Old 15th June 2012, 20:32   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
How about upsizing tyres for the Yeti to 225/55/R17? Would it affect the performance adversely?
In 17 inch the the correct upsize would be 225/50 R 17 like Akshay mentioned, but this reduces the cushioning effect of the tyres due to lower profile and this improves handling and cornering but makes tge ride quality harder and can damage the rims and suspension when it hits potholes. This is the reason why Skoda offered the 60 profile in India for improved comfort on Indian roads. In terms of offroad tyres there are no tyres available yet in India in AT type in the stock size and the closest size avl is 215/65 R 16 which is close to 3.2% deviation in OD and is much higher that the general safe limit of 2.5%. The best option is to change the stock Goodyears in same size to either Yoko C drives (which I have done) or Continental CPC2, which will improve the ride and reduce noise. You can also go for Pirelli P7 in 225/55 R 16 like Pramod has done.
Regards
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 15th June 2012 at 20:33.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 20:49   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Infact it will be better since you will get more grip with 225s. But your ride will definitely become stiffer, but expect even better handling then.

Warranty cannot be void for that. The Yeti comes with 225/50 R17 abroad in some models.
Warranty in India can be voided quite easily. I advise that you check with the competent authority in Skoda India before upsizing.
Old 15th June 2012, 21:11   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Warranty in India can be voided quite easily. I advise that you check with the competent authority in Skoda India before upsizing.
Nope. They can say what they want. But what will they do if you show them the manual which also shows the 225/50 17 tyre size?
Old 15th June 2012, 21:14   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nope. They can say what they want. But what will they do if you show them the manual which also shows the 225/50 17 tyre size?
I guess one can take that tack because even in Oz the top spec Yeti comes with 17 inchers etc.
But they do have the right to decline the warranty on account of this because their standards can vary from market to market. They can cite any number of reasons and being the manufacturer they have every right to put forward their specifications and 'conditions apply' etc!
Personally I would prefer to look before I leap.
Old 15th June 2012, 21:23   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess one can take that tack because even in Oz the top spec Yeti comes with 17 inchers etc.
But they do have the right to decline the warranty on account of this because their standards can vary from market to market. They can cite any number of reasons and being the manufacturer they have every right to put forward their specifications and 'conditions apply' etc!
Personally I would prefer to look before I leap.
Thats true. But again it depends on your rapport with the service station. If the alloys are Skoda branded I really don't think they will object. If aftermarket they can object, but again if handled tactfully its very unlikely you will actually not end up with warranty in such a situation.
Old 15th June 2012, 21:34   #277
BHPian

One can act with as much tact as possible. But once car manufacturer wishes to snub on the ''tact'" there is little argument one can present like threatening to sue etc. not much is achieved by it. It is a very good advise by S. Balan that one should check with dealer, take it in writing ( irrespective of country), before making such mods. So, In case something wrong would happen with car, one would have their grounds covered.

Last edited by jimmyjagga : 15th June 2012 at 21:41.
Old 15th June 2012, 21:34   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thats true. But again it depends on your rapport with the service station. If the alloys are Skoda branded I really don't think they will object. If aftermarket they can object, but again if handled tactfully its very unlikely you will actually not end up with warranty in such a situation.
I wouldnt chance it though, unless I get it in writing from the Skoda Company chaps.
Old 16th June 2012, 01:31   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wouldnt chance it though, unless I get it in writing from the Skoda Company chaps.
Thats not going to happen unless you get it done from the showroom with Skoda alloy wheels.

But again, most of it depends on your rapport with the service people.
Old 16th June 2012, 07:02   #280
BHPian

Quote:

Thats not going to happen unless you get it done from the showroom with Skoda alloy wheels.

But again, most of it depends on your rapport with the service people.
I don't see 17 inch skoda alloys in any showroom or is in only in Bangalore ?
Old 16th June 2012, 07:54   #281
Senior - BHPian

I visited ChangeMyTyre.com :: India's First Online Tyre Store and I could only locate Bridgestone and Michellin tyres for the Yeti. Is there any tyre available for off-roading purposes as well?
Old 16th June 2012, 09:11   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober

Skoda Yeti is not sold with 17 inchers in India.
They come on the Elegance SE or SE plus versions in the UK, Europe and Oz but even there they are a paid option.
Old 16th June 2012, 09:32   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
You are mistaken. I had a specific talk with the Service Manager at the local Skoda Dealership and he told categorically that the warranty of the suspension and related parts will be voided in case of any upsizing as the tyre size fitted by Skoda India are as per Indian road conditions and not European. He reiterated that the same had been conveyed to him by Skoda India as per queries received from other customers regarding tyre upsizing.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 10:23   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I visited ChangeMyTyre.com :: India's First Online Tyre Store and I could only locate Bridgestone and Michellin tyres for the Yeti. Is there any tyre available for off-roading purposes as well?
Hi Nitin,
There is a thread dedicated to Skoda Yeti tyres - you may want to refer to that for more details and continue these discussions there.
Regards
Behemoth
Old 16th June 2012, 11:10   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober View Post
They can order them for you.

Quote:
Skoda Yeti is not sold with 17 inchers in India.
They come on the Elegance SE or SE plus versions in the UK, Europe and Oz but even there they are a paid option.
I think its a standard option. Just checked yesterday in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You are mistaken. I had a specific talk with the Service Manager at the local Skoda Dealership and he told categorically that the warranty of the suspension and related parts will be voided in case of any upsizing as the tyre size fitted by Skoda India are as per Indian road conditions and not European. He reiterated that the same had been conveyed to him by Skoda India as per queries received from other customers regarding tyre upsizing.
Well then it depends on dealers. Because in Bombay the dealer has upgraded some Lauras to 17s with OE Skoda alloys, a Superb to 18s, even offered 17s to me when I bought the Laura and I know for the fact they have not void warranty on anything.
Closed Thread