Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2012, 20:18   #271
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
How about upsizing tyres for the Yeti to 225/55/R17? Would it affect the performance adversely?
Infact it will be better since you will get more grip with 225s. But your ride will definitely become stiffer, but expect even better handling then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Warranty issues with suspension. General upsizing not recommended. Do check again with Behemoth.
Warranty cannot be void for that. The Yeti comes with 225/50 R17 abroad in some models.
Akshay1234 is offline  
Old 15th June 2012, 20:32   #272
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
How about upsizing tyres for the Yeti to 225/55/R17? Would it affect the performance adversely?
In 17 inch the the correct upsize would be 225/50 R 17 like Akshay mentioned, but this reduces the cushioning effect of the tyres due to lower profile and this improves handling and cornering but makes tge ride quality harder and can damage the rims and suspension when it hits potholes. This is the reason why Skoda offered the 60 profile in India for improved comfort on Indian roads. In terms of offroad tyres there are no tyres available yet in India in AT type in the stock size and the closest size avl is 215/65 R 16 which is close to 3.2% deviation in OD and is much higher that the general safe limit of 2.5%. The best option is to change the stock Goodyears in same size to either Yoko C drives (which I have done) or Continental CPC2, which will improve the ride and reduce noise. You can also go for Pirelli P7 in 225/55 R 16 like Pramod has done.
Regards
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 15th June 2012 at 20:33.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 20:49   #273
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Infact it will be better since you will get more grip with 225s. But your ride will definitely become stiffer, but expect even better handling then.

Warranty cannot be void for that. The Yeti comes with 225/50 R17 abroad in some models.
Warranty in India can be voided quite easily. I advise that you check with the competent authority in Skoda India before upsizing.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 15th June 2012, 21:11   #274
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Warranty in India can be voided quite easily. I advise that you check with the competent authority in Skoda India before upsizing.
Nope. They can say what they want. But what will they do if you show them the manual which also shows the 225/50 17 tyre size?
Akshay1234 is offline  
Old 15th June 2012, 21:14   #275
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Nope. They can say what they want. But what will they do if you show them the manual which also shows the 225/50 17 tyre size?
I guess one can take that tack because even in Oz the top spec Yeti comes with 17 inchers etc.
But they do have the right to decline the warranty on account of this because their standards can vary from market to market. They can cite any number of reasons and being the manufacturer they have every right to put forward their specifications and 'conditions apply' etc!
Personally I would prefer to look before I leap.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 15th June 2012, 21:23   #276
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I guess one can take that tack because even in Oz the top spec Yeti comes with 17 inchers etc.
But they do have the right to decline the warranty on account of this because their standards can vary from market to market. They can cite any number of reasons and being the manufacturer they have every right to put forward their specifications and 'conditions apply' etc!
Personally I would prefer to look before I leap.
Thats true. But again it depends on your rapport with the service station. If the alloys are Skoda branded I really don't think they will object. If aftermarket they can object, but again if handled tactfully its very unlikely you will actually not end up with warranty in such a situation.
Akshay1234 is offline  
Old 15th June 2012, 21:34   #277
BHPian
 
jimmyjagga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 68
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

One can act with as much tact as possible. But once car manufacturer wishes to snub on the ''tact'" there is little argument one can present like threatening to sue etc. not much is achieved by it. It is a very good advise by S. Balan that one should check with dealer, take it in writing ( irrespective of country), before making such mods. So, In case something wrong would happen with car, one would have their grounds covered.

Last edited by jimmyjagga : 15th June 2012 at 21:41.
jimmyjagga is offline  
Old 15th June 2012, 21:34   #278
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Thats true. But again it depends on your rapport with the service station. If the alloys are Skoda branded I really don't think they will object. If aftermarket they can object, but again if handled tactfully its very unlikely you will actually not end up with warranty in such a situation.
I wouldnt chance it though, unless I get it in writing from the Skoda Company chaps.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 16th June 2012, 01:31   #279
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I wouldnt chance it though, unless I get it in writing from the Skoda Company chaps.
Thats not going to happen unless you get it done from the showroom with Skoda alloy wheels.

But again, most of it depends on your rapport with the service people.
Akshay1234 is offline  
Old 16th June 2012, 07:02   #280
BHPian
 
twinoctober's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 53
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Thats not going to happen unless you get it done from the showroom with Skoda alloy wheels.

But again, most of it depends on your rapport with the service people.
I don't see 17 inch skoda alloys in any showroom or is in only in Bangalore ?
twinoctober is offline  
Old 16th June 2012, 07:54   #281
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 1,006
Thanked: 651 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

I visited ChangeMyTyre.com :: India's First Online Tyre Store and I could only locate Bridgestone and Michellin tyres for the Yeti. Is there any tyre available for off-roading purposes as well?
nitinbose is offline  
Old 16th June 2012, 09:11   #282
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober

I don't see 17 inch skoda alloys in any showroom or is in only in Bangalore ?
Skoda Yeti is not sold with 17 inchers in India.
They come on the Elegance SE or SE plus versions in the UK, Europe and Oz but even there they are a paid option.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 16th June 2012, 09:32   #283
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,988
Thanked: 4,032 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Warranty cannot be void for that. The Yeti comes with 225/50 R17 abroad in some models.
You are mistaken. I had a specific talk with the Service Manager at the local Skoda Dealership and he told categorically that the warranty of the suspension and related parts will be voided in case of any upsizing as the tyre size fitted by Skoda India are as per Indian road conditions and not European. He reiterated that the same had been conveyed to him by Skoda India as per queries received from other customers regarding tyre upsizing.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 10:23   #284
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I visited ChangeMyTyre.com :: India's First Online Tyre Store and I could only locate Bridgestone and Michellin tyres for the Yeti. Is there any tyre available for off-roading purposes as well?
Hi Nitin,
There is a thread dedicated to Skoda Yeti tyres - you may want to refer to that for more details and continue these discussions there.
Regards
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline  
Old 16th June 2012, 11:10   #285
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober View Post
I don't see 17 inch skoda alloys in any showroom or is in only in Bangalore ?
They can order them for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Skoda Yeti is not sold with 17 inchers in India.
They come on the Elegance SE or SE plus versions in the UK, Europe and Oz but even there they are a paid option.
I think its a standard option. Just checked yesterday in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
You are mistaken. I had a specific talk with the Service Manager at the local Skoda Dealership and he told categorically that the warranty of the suspension and related parts will be voided in case of any upsizing as the tyre size fitted by Skoda India are as per Indian road conditions and not European. He reiterated that the same had been conveyed to him by Skoda India as per queries received from other customers regarding tyre upsizing.
Well then it depends on dealers. Because in Bombay the dealer has upgraded some Lauras to 17s with OE Skoda alloys, a Superb to 18s, even offered 17s to me when I bought the Laura and I know for the fact they have not void warranty on anything.
Akshay1234 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family MAS SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 121 24th November 2017 20:26
Experience with Skoda Dealerships in Pune (while purchasing Skoda Yeti) SushilBajpai Indian Car Dealerships 10 28th February 2012 16:12
Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner dkaile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 12th August 2011 22:20
Skoda plans to bring Yeti to life in India! dadu The Indian Car Scene 150 13th April 2010 06:35
Skoda Yeti Stratos The International Automotive Scene 6 28th February 2005 23:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks