Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 16th June 2012, 11:16   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Well then it depends on dealers. Because in Bombay the dealer has upgraded some Lauras to 17s with OE Skoda alloys, a Superb to 18s, even offered 17s to me when I bought the Laura and I know for the fact they have not void warranty on anything.
Well, I have talked to my Haldwani dealer and also Meerut dealer. They both asserted that it will void warranty. As I wanted to upsize the tyres of my Superb, I then talked to the Faridabad, Delhi and Gurgaon dealers. All of them stopped short to give it in writing that it won't affect warranty. So unless you can take it in writing, it is as good as pushing some poor chap into upsizing and later on regretting when any warranty issue arises. So it would be best to avoid giving such statements unless you can take it in writing.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:24   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Well, I have talked to my Haldwani dealer and also Meerut dealer. They both asserted that it will void warranty. As I wanted to upsize the tyres of my Superb, I then talked to the Faridabad, Delhi and Gurgaon dealers. All of them stopped short to give it in writing that it won't affect warranty. So unless you can take it in writing, it is as good as pushing some poor chap into upsizing and later on regretting when any warranty issue arises. So it would be best to avoid giving such statements unless you can take it in writing.
You want to upsize Superb tyres? As in just get wider tyres and not bigger rims? Sir there are hundreds on people who have done that on the forum with many cars from Suzukis to BMWs, none of which have had any warranty problems. A dealer is going to want to protect itself, so will not give in writing. But if/when the time comes for warranty, something like a +1 upsize will not even be noticed.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:28   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
YBut if/when the time comes for warranty, something like a +1 upsize will not even be noticed.
You are mistaken again. One my friends had suspension problem on his SX4 and they blamed it on his rim size upsize. So a statement like that cannot be generalised that it won't affect warranty. As warranty is a legal issue, such statements should only be given if one can take it in writing, to avoid misleading people.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:35   #289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are mistaken again. One my friends had suspension problem on his SX4 and they blamed it on his rim size upsize. So a statement like that cannot be generalised that it won't affect warranty. As warranty is a legal issue, such statements should only be given if one can take it in writing, to avoid misleading people.
By +1 upsize I mean wider tyres. A larger rim size will most likely be noticed, do not I did not say a +1 rim size will not be noticed. Also from what I've seen, brands like Maruti, Hyundai want to void warranty at the drop of a hat whereas some other brands can be more understanding and sensible.

Again the main point here is it depends on your relationship with the dealership. If they specifically say that your larger size of rim will void warranty then its best to avoid it. For wider tyres if they say warranty will be void, if you have done a perfect upsize you still have an argument because the overall diameter and sidewall height of the tyre is the same.

I am not misleading anyone and would appreciate if you stop accusing me of misleading people. You had done it on your Fortuner thread too. I am speaking from my own experience of upsizing tyres and rims, experiences which my friends have gone through, and other peoples experiences on the forum. So before just rubbishing my claims, you might want to consider them because it will help you in upsizing your Superbs tyres too.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th June 2012 at 11:40.
Old 16th June 2012, 11:42   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Again the main point here is it depends on your relationship with the dealership. If they specifically say that your larger size of rim will void warranty then its best to avoid it. For wider tyres if they say warranty will be void, if you have done a perfect upsize you still have an argument because the overall diameter and sidewall height of the tyre is the same.
This is not a personal issue and am sorry to note that you are taking it on that route. It is a legal issue here and my whole point here when you give a generalised statement like this -
Quote:
Warranty cannot be void for that.
without ascertaining 100% that in case of a legal wrangle on warranty issue it would in most cases void the warranty. A statement like 'warranty cannot be void' can mislead people and you can ask any legal expert on that. That was my only point. I shall rest my case here.

Last edited by dkaile : 16th June 2012 at 11:57.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 11:55   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is not a personal issue and am sorry to note that you are taking it on that route. It is a legal issue here and my whole point here when you give a generalised statement like this -

without ascertaining 100% that in case of a legal wrangle on warranty issue it would in most cases void the warranty. A statement like 'warranty cannot be void' can mislead people and you can ask any legal expert on that. That was my only point.
Right, I made that statement along with this line justifying it -
Quote:

The Yeti comes with 225/50 R17 abroad in some models.
Because I've seen the dealer in Mumbai offering upgrades on their cars to the European spec rims and tyres without voiding any warranty.

Then I also said -
Quote:
But again it depends on your rapport with the service station. If the alloys are Skoda branded I really don't think they will object.
Quote:
Thats not going to happen unless you get it done from the showroom with Skoda alloy wheels.
But again, most of it depends on your rapport with the service people.
Quote:
Well then it depends on dealers. Because in Bombay the dealer has upgraded some Lauras to 17s with OE Skoda alloys, a Superb to 18s, even offered 17s to me when I bought the Laura and I know for the fact they have not void warranty on anything.
Did you bother to read my posts after that where I mentioned this? The reason for saying warranty cannot be void because the cars in Europe come with 17s, is because I have seen dealers in Bombay offering Euro upsizes without dishonoring warranty. Obviously your experience in Meerut/Delhi was different, but that is the purpose of the forum, to post different experiences. If you think the experience you went through, will be the same for all Skodas across all of India then YOU are mistaken.

I don't need to ask any legal expert on my statements, but if you are one feel free to go through all my posts and point out errors.

In a legal wrangle, you can also ask why the 17" and 18" (maybe there in the Superb, don't remember) sizes are in the manual, and also on the door frame, giving tyre pressures for the different sizes.
Old 16th June 2012, 14:25   #292
Senior - BHPian

OK thank you very much guys, for the suggestions. It really helped me to zeroed in to the perfect car. I have made the booking today for a white elegance yeti. 17.40L OTR with UP registration. I was saving 1 lac approx. by not going with Delhi registration. The total discount I got is 2.20 lacs. (the initial 2.85 lacs discount was never there, as I assumed the offered price was for delhi registration, which wasn't)

Before booking the yeti, I went to the Toyota dealer nearby, and there was no manual test drive vehicle. But the deal breaker factor was the minimum 6-7 months waiting period. I could not wait that much, and that itself deterred me away from Fortuner. Had it been available rightaway, I would have thought twice. Anyway, I straightaway went to Skoda dealer and negotiated harder and finally sealed the deal.

Why Yeti, and not Fortuner:
1. Better Build quality and interior
2. Better handling and a lot fun to drive
3. 6 Airbags, rear discs brake
4. Almost 7.5 lacs cheaper
5. Ideally size, good for city. Fortuner was too big to lug around in the city.
6. Better mileage than Fortuner
7. Better leather seats
8. 8 Speakers and better music system
Old 16th June 2012, 15:52   #293
Senior - BHPian

Went to Vinayak Skoda and tried to close the deal. They offered me a total discount of 160,000/- No more.

INR 2,074,134/- is the best price they could offer inclusive of Skoda shield!

I told them I shall get back and came back home.
Old 16th June 2012, 16:23   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
OK thank you very much guys, for the suggestions. It really helped me to zeroed in to the perfect car. I have made the booking today for a white elegance yeti.
===============
Congrats that you made up your mind. I am in the same state as you were and still continues. Nothing to beat yeti's handling and drive. Which color did you choose?
Old 16th June 2012, 16:27   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
Went to Vinayak Skoda and tried to close the deal. They offered me a total discount of 160,000/- No more.

Hey do you think we can pull of a 2 lac deal if we both buy ? Another bhpian has offered to help with negotiation.
Old 16th June 2012, 16:39   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
OK thank you very much guys, for the suggestions. It really helped me to zeroed in to the perfect car. I have made the booking today for a white elegance yeti. 17.40L OTR with UP registration. I was saving 1 lac approx. by not going with Delhi registration. The total discount I got is 2.20 lacs. (the initial 2.85 lacs discount was never there, as I assumed the offered price was for delhi registration, which wasn't)

Before booking the yeti, I went to the Toyota dealer nearby, and there was no manual test drive vehicle. But the deal breaker factor was the minimum 6-7 months waiting period. I could not wait that much, and that itself deterred me away from Fortuner. Had it been available rightaway, I would have thought twice. Anyway, I straightaway went to Skoda dealer and negotiated harder and finally sealed the deal.

Why Yeti, and not Fortuner:
1. Better Build quality and interior
2. Better handling and a lot fun to drive
3. 6 Airbags, rear discs brake
4. Almost 7.5 lacs cheaper
5. Ideally size, good for city. Fortuner was too big to lug around in the city.
6. Better mileage than Fortuner
7. Better leather seats
Congrats. I am also in advanced talks with dealer but i am waiting for another 2-3 days as i am expecting duster prices to be disclosed by 20th or so.
Old 16th June 2012, 17:25   #297
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! There were no alternative vehicle in that price range, and with the rumor about the proposed diesel car tax, and diminishing inventory of 2011 batch cars, well, I decided to rest my case and follow my heart. Mind says Fortuner with the long term reliability, but that was only happening in December'12 or 2013. Its a white, that I had booked. I was thinking of another color, black or Acqua Mist, but white makes the car look bigger and a better presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober View Post
Congrats that you made up your mind. I am in the same state as you were and still continues. Nothing to beat yeti's handling and drive. Which color did you choose?
Thanks Abbey. I guess the initial launch of Duster won't have the 4x4 option. And eventually if they do launch 4x4, the price may well touch 14 lacs, which in that case won't have the much price advantage against the Yeti. (Ambient variant). Anyway, all the best with your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Congrats. I am also in advanced talks with dealer but i am waiting for another 2-3 days as i am expecting duster prices to be disclosed by 20th or so.
Old 16th June 2012, 18:47   #298
BHPian

yeah, no 4x4 for duster for sure. but its a dilemma that i am hoping to get over with a day or two
Old 16th June 2012, 19:01   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober View Post
Hey do you think we can pull of a 2 lac deal if we both buy ? Another bhpian has offered to help with negotiation.

Yes, That would be possible. Infact, we must try for 20 lacs.

There are two reasons am still skeptical about:

1. The car should have been in the stock yard for more than 8 months, since 2011. This means it may have developed rust and some parts may have been removes in case they ran out of spares - though this part is remote.

2. the face lift part.

So because of the above two reasons, we should get it for 20 lacs. Please PM me your number so that we may discuss further.
Old 16th June 2012, 19:50   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose

Nitin please talk direct to Hemanth and ask him bluntly. He will do his best. I will write privately to him too to assist you. All the best!
Closed Thread