Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2012, 22:09   #316
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Thanks. I didn't know or saw any small sticker on the white plastic sheets. I must have overlooked apparently. I will have a second look tomorrow when I meet the manager. Anyhow, the salesman, showed me the inventory/booking lists in their computer on a excel sheet. And as per that, the car was delivered to them from the Indian factory on April 2012. So does that mean, the car was assembled around March/April 2012 only and dispatched to the dealer? If that is the case, the CKD kits were laying around for 10 months 'as it is'? Or another possibility is, the car was assembled around september/october 2011 and the car was kept in the Aurangabad factory till April 2012?

I am sorry, if I am being naive on this. But after hearing all those Skoda horror stories, I am just trying not to take delivery of a car that has been laying around in the stockyard for months. Just don't want to take even the slightest chance with a Skoda.
An auto manufacturer would find it easier to keep a car in kit form rather than spend on assembling it and keeping it in the yard since it would mean a greater expenditure on his assembling and factory costs when the manufacturer knows that the model will not sell.
Most manufacturers go the lean way and manufacture/assemble enough numbers to meet around a month's dealer demand.

So, in all possibility, your vehicle would have been lying in its container/warehouse till sometime in March 2012 before being assembled and shipped. The assembly would have happened in March, followed by a week in the yard at Aurangabad, around 10 days in transport to Delhi by truck and the rest at the dealer yard.

I am at the NCR from the 26th-29th instant and can accompany you to perform a thorough PDI of your vehicle if you can wait till then.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 22:19   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
An auto manufacturer would find it easier to keep a car in kit form rather than spend on assembling it and keeping it in the yard since it would mean a greater expenditure on his assembling and factory costs when the manufacturer knows that the model will not sell.
Most manufacturers go the lean way and manufacture/assemble enough numbers to meet around a month's dealer demand.

So, in all possibility, your vehicle would have been lying in its container/warehouse till sometime in March 2012 before being assembled and shipped. The assembly would have happened in March, followed by a week in the yard at Aurangabad, around 10 days in transport to Delhi by truck and the rest at the dealer yard.

I am at the NCR from the 26th-29th instant and can accompany you to perform a thorough PDI of your vehicle if you can wait till then.
hmm, that makes sense. I hope that is the case, otherwise, I am very nervous on the huge discount Skoda is offering. And yes, would be great to have you as company for a PDI session. Just ring me up when you are in NCR. I will PM my number to your shortly.
Old 17th June 2012, 22:30   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmm, that makes sense. I hope that is the case, otherwise, I am very nervous on the huge discount Skoda is offering. And yes, would be great to have you as company for a PDI session. Just ring me up when you are in NCR. I will PM my number to your shortly.
You see, it is very simple, Skoda has a stock of inventory, which has, in most cases, been paid for already. Hence, they, like any other mass manufacturer, would want to clear it, asap. The only difference is, while other manufacturers shy away from giving discounts, Skoda isn't.

And, the profits manufacturers, not dealers, make from cars is stupendous.

Do you know the amount Toyota pays for every Innova unpainted bumper that it purchases from one of its suppliers? I d rather not reveal it here.

PM me your number, I ll certainly call you when I m at the NCR.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 23:27   #319
Senior - BHPian

I know the Duster and Ford EcoSport have not been launched, but in comparision to Yeti, how would they stack-up, say in terms of capability, size, features, looks and quality and driving and offroad manners?
Old 18th June 2012, 01:00   #320
BHPian

Going by duster videos on youtube its much more capable off road specially because of high gc (210 mm) vs 180 of yeti. But unfortunately 4x4 is not available and with current pricing of 4x2, yeti seems much more value
Old 18th June 2012, 04:53   #321
Senior - BHPian

I would like to place one thing here as a long time user of jeep type vehicles right from my Dad's time until now.
We bang on and on a lot about high GC in most cars. Think a bit. What is 210mm vs 180-190mm? The difference between 21cm vs 18 or 19cm which is 2 or 3 cm at most.

Now, a Honda Civic or City actually has about 150- 160mm GC, which is another 3 or 4 cm less that a Scorpio or SX4 or something like that. However, more than the GC, where the Scorpio and SX4 do score, is what they are actually designed for which is NOT only primarily for low slung tarmac road going work, but a bit of off the beaten country side track too! Their higher GC along with lower front and rear overhangs and slightly shorter chassis and larger wheels and tyres and slightly tweaked suspension setups help them in getting to places where the Civic or City will find it a daunting task! It is not a matter of GC alone. By itself,plain old GC is not the end all! For illustration take a maxi cab type thing which has high GC. Think whether one will take it into some seriously bad roads.

Now frankly, for most normal use case scenarios, the 180 mm ish GC should be more than sufficient. Unless of course in one's daily working life one needs to go over deeply rutted tracks and/ or stones etc, for which purpose, truly, an ATV or old short chassis jeep or motorbike or indeed, tractor, will be better.

Between the 4x4 Duster and Yeti and indeed the Scorpio, I would say that all three would be pretty much evenly matched in medium to rough terrain. However, if I am honest, my likelihood of taking any of these seriously off the road, such as to places where I would easily and happily take a Mahindra 540 or Gypsy and indeed have done, would be severely limited. Yeti on account of its high acquisition cost and general expensive ness. Scorpio because of its great weight and wallowy characteristics, propensity to sink deep into squelchy slush, unsettled ness especially over big bumps, rutted tracks and so on and lastly the Duster, on account of its Expensive ish, glossy paint job and again, general acquisition cost etc!

However, from a general toughness and willingness to use in very hard situations; point of view, my order of usage priority would be;
Gypsy- light, tough and relatively inexpensive, uncomplicated with no electronics.
Mahindra CJ - same as above
Mahindra 540- 550 - same as above
Bolero - same as above
Duster - light weight nature with short overhangs etc
Scorpio - relatively cheap. However very very heavy and could have issues with Electronics
Yeti- would prefer not to take it to real hard use situations because it is a relatively expensive vehicle. If one has a less expensive choice, one would tend to use that!

What the vehicles like the 4x4 Yeti, Duster and Scorpio typically do for us in normal use case scenarios, is to give a certain peace of mind in terms of arming one from a psychological point of view, to be mentally more prepared to go a little more off the beaten track than in a normal road going car. the safety features, electronic driver aids and overall solidity of engineering helps to give us some confidence. Yet, we would not attempt the Paris Dakar or an expedition to the Pole or something like that, in one of these vehicles. For the most part it will get used for normal daily commute, school run and possibly something as mundane as grocery shopping - nothing more strenuous than that!

I have been to some pretty dreadful places in a 4x2 Bolero, 4x4 Gypsy, 4x4 Mahindra CJ, 540 and 4x2 Scorpio too - and have got myself quite deeply stuck in all these owing to youth and foolhardiness. I wont repeat this in my Yeti, most certainly! Strangely enough I have seen the humble Maruti 800 and Maruti Van and even the Alto manage brilliantly in some terrible places where I would think twice about taking even a Scorpio. This s on account of those vehicle' s lightness of being and maneuverability which helps them run rings around the heavy, ponderous and lumbering Scorpio!

In short, there is nothing as cheap and easy to use and maintain in such scenarios here in India, should one wish to go there at all, as well as the old Mahindra CJ, 540 and Gypsy are.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th June 2012 at 05:09.
Old 18th June 2012, 08:08   #322
BHPian

shankar thanks for the enlightenment and first hand experience info . since you own an yeti can i meet you and have a chat before i jump into buying one.

Note from Mod - please avoid posting your mobile on forum. Have PM'd shankar with your contact details
Old 18th June 2012, 11:13   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know the Duster and Ford EcoSport have not been launched, but in comparision to Yeti, how would they stack-up, say in terms of capability, size, features, looks and quality and driving and offroad manners?
The Yeti is a premium offering and hence quality would be leagues ahead of the Duster and the Ecosport which are built to a cost.

The Duster would be as capable as, if not more, than the Yeti off road while the Ecosport will have good on road manners. The Yeti is the ideal compromise between the two.

Since the Yeti is a premium product, it will have the most number of features amongst the 3, however, Renault might surprise us.

Germans are good handlers and hence while it may be a contest between the Duster and the Yeti for on road driving pleasure, I m pretty sure that the more expensively kitted Yeti will come out on tops.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:30   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinoctober
shankar thanks for the enlightenment and first hand experience info . since you own an yeti can i meet you and have a chat before i jump into buying one.

Note from Mod - please avoid posting your mobile on forum. Have PM'd shankar with your contact details
Hi
The mods have given me your number
I tried calling you but it appears to be switched off
Cheers
Old 18th June 2012, 11:41   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Yeti is a premium offering and hence quality would be leagues ahead of the Duster and the Ecosport which are built to a cost.

The Duster would be as capable as, if not more, than the Yeti off road while the Ecosport will have good on road manners. The Yeti is the ideal compromise between the two.

Since the Yeti is a premium product, it will have the most number of features amongst the 3, however, Renault might surprise us.

Germans are good handlers and hence while it may be a contest between the Duster and the Yeti for on road driving pleasure, I m pretty sure that the more expensively kitted Yeti will come out on tops.
Just one more small addition to the comparison between the Yeti and the Duster:
The Duster is a Euro NCAP - 3 Star rated vehicle, while the Yeti is a Euro NCAP 5 Star rated vehicle. This means that in the event of a crash, you will be much safer in a Yeti than a Duster. The Yeti by design is made better and also stronger while the Duster is made to be a budget vehicle and uses much less steel (hence is almost 250 Kgs lighter than the Yeti, inspite being almost the same size) and also has fewer safety features.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 13:29   #326
Senior - BHPian

I went to the dealer showroom to again have a second look at the white yeti. though there were white plastic sheets on the top, front and back, I couldn't see any small stickers on the dispatched date. So, I asked to allot a fresh piece, in Aqua Mist. I was told, Skoda has discontinued that particular color. Is that true? They offered me a silver or black, which are in transit. I went with my sister to the showroom, and there was a black ambiente yeti on display and she liked it. And yes, the B pillar gels seamlessly on the black and the quirkiness is less obvious. Though I too liked it, I am more concern about the effectiveness of the AC as black would absorb more heat. Silver or Black - that is the question, though because of sister's choice, I am leaning more towards the black. I think Behemoth also has black. Any regrets for going black?
Old 18th June 2012, 13:31   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
I went to the dealer showroom to again have a second look at the white yeti. though there were white plastic sheets on the top, front and back, I couldn't see any small stickers on the dispatched date. So, I asked to allot a fresh piece, in Aqua Mist. I was told, Skoda has discontinued that particular color. Is that true? They offered me a silver or black, which are in transit. I went with my sister to the showroom, and there was a black ambiente yeti on display and she liked it. And yes, the B pillar gels seamlessly on the black and the quirkiness is less obvious. Though I too liked it, I am more concern about the effectiveness of the AC as black would absorb more heat. Silver or Black - that is the question, though because of sister's choice, I am leaning more towards the black. I think Behemoth also has black. Any regrets for going black?
Black looks good. However it can get hot inside in our conditions. Dark shades are relatively difficult to maintain too on account of scratches etc.
To me it is Silver, Aqua or White, in that order, followed by Mato Brown and Black.
Old 18th June 2012, 14:03   #328
Senior - BHPian

I really liked the Skoda Yeti and almost confirmed it but after studying from all angles, decided to drop it. The Yeti's are all 2011 model and could be anywhere between mid to end of 2011. Its been lying in the dealer stock yard for about a year. The chassis could have started rusting, battery degradation and finally any car left unused for long periods can suffer a natural degradation. There's not much the dealers are stretching in terms of discounts as well other than the stated, with little add-ons.

Considering the trouble that I may land into (if it happens), these discounts may not cover up.

I may therefore opt back to the Tfort.
Old 18th June 2012, 15:50   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
I really liked the Skoda Yeti and almost confirmed it but after studying from all angles, decided to drop it. The Yeti's are all 2011 model and could be anywhere between mid to end of 2011. Its been lying in the dealer stock yard for about a year. The chassis could have started rusting, battery degradation and finally any car left unused for long periods can suffer a natural degradation. There's not much the dealers are stretching in terms of discounts as well other than the stated, with little add-ons.

Considering the trouble that I may land into (if it happens), these discounts may not cover up.

I may therefore opt back to the Tfort.
Why not think of the Pajero Sport or if budget permits, even the Freelander, or Audi Q3 or Volvo XC60?
Or if your need is more for a car, why not the Laura L&K or the Superb Ambition?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th June 2012 at 15:51.
Old 18th June 2012, 16:25   #330
Senior - BHPian

If you want peace of mind without any apprehensions - Fortuner.
Its more expensive than the Yeti but it will hold its resale value even after 10 yrs like no other.
The Yeti value erodes soon as it leaves the showroom.
So if u get bored of your vehicle in 2-4 years and want to sell - the fortuner is a better bet.
You wont have to worry about service and spares for a Toyota because its reliable and built to last.
Cant say the same for the Yeti.
The fortuner does not have all the frills of a yeti but its got all the basic stuff u need and its utterly functional.
Take your pick.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread