Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 18th June 2012, 19:20   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why not think of the Pajero Sport or if budget permits, even the Freelander, or Audi Q3 or Volvo XC60?
Or if your need is more for a car, why not the Laura L&K or the Superb Ambition?

No Shankar, those are above my current budget. I am looking for something above a car, hence not in for Laura or superb, though those are wonderful vehicles.
Old 18th June 2012, 19:28   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves
If you want peace of mind without any apprehensions - Fortuner.
Its more expensive than the Yeti but it will hold its resale value even after 10 yrs like no other.
The Yeti value erodes soon as it leaves the showroom.
So if u get bored of your vehicle in 2-4 years and want to sell - the fortuner is a better bet.
You wont have to worry about service and spares for a Toyota because its reliable and built to last.
Cant say the same for the Yeti.
The fortuner does not have all the frills of a yeti but its got all the basic stuff u need and its utterly functional.
Take your pick.
Too general a set of statements in my opinion jay, with respect. The yeti hasn't been around long enough in the world scenario itself for us to cast speculations on its reliability or the lack of it. Yes we all know that in India it is always going to be all hail and bow down to Toyota, but for me personally the fortuner is too big for normal city daily use plus it is way too highly overpriced for what it offers. As this market matures, things like resale also will see certain corrections.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 09:11   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Too general a set of statements in my opinion jay, with respect. The yeti hasn't been around long enough in the world scenario itself for us to cast speculations on its reliability or the lack of it. Yes we all know that in India it is always going to be all hail and bow down to Toyota, but for me personally the fortuner is too big for normal city daily use plus it is way too highly overpriced for what it offers. As this market matures, things like resale also will see certain corrections.
Yes, an oversight from me i guess. The Yeti is definitely more city biased and much more driveable in the city. But global assertions aside, Skoda service in India is yet to build a good reputation, if any at all.
In the current context, Fortuner does feel overpriced(infact every toyota in india feels overpriced to me), especially if you compare it to global markets. But lets look at the Indian scenario because the comparison drawn is between the Yeti & Fortuner in India. As the market matures, corrections will surely occur but the ability of a brand to hold its value will not change.
Also another thing, most people who initially intended more city driving, after buying an suv, do develop confidence to stretch their legs and take off more often than intended into the outdoors.
And yes, the Yeti might keep you busy with the bells and whistles, but when the market matures and there is an option for a better orchestra, and the Yeti enters the market for resale, thats when the tears will swell, unless ur wallet is fat enough that resale doesn't matter.
Old 19th June 2012, 09:28   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves

Yes, an oversight from me i guess. The Yeti is definitely more city biased and much more driveable in the city. But global assertions aside, Skoda service in India is yet to build a good reputation, if any at all.
In the current context, Fortuner does feel overpriced(infact every toyota in india feels overpriced to me), especially if you compare it to global markets. But lets look at the Indian scenario because the comparison drawn is between the Yeti & Fortuner in India. As the market matures, corrections will surely occur but the ability of a brand to hold its value will not change.
Also another thing, most people who initially intended more city driving, after buying an suv, do develop confidence to stretch their legs and take off more often than intended into the outdoors.
And yes, the Yeti might keep you busy with the bells and whistles, but when the market matures and there is an option for a better orchestra, and the Yeti enters the market for resale, thats when the tears will swell, unless ur wallet is fat enough that resale doesn't matter.
Good points. For me it is about the here and now. As time goes by many things can change, not least being the resale of cars.
Yes I agree that having a good car will certainly motivate one to go out on the road more. For me it happens anyway, right from the 800 onwards, through all the other cars I have had, right up to the Yeti. Since unfortunately nearly 80% of my use is nowadays within the city, the Yeti works better to give me the best of both worlds. Plus I do not need the size and amount of space that the Fortuner offers. All it will do on my daily drive is to increase my space utilisation on these already overcrowded roads and my carbon footprint otherwise!
I strive to keep my Yeti in tiptop shape. As before, with my other vehicles, I am quite sure there will be a buyer out there when the time comes, who will see the value and pay me a fair price. In any case I am hoping for a 5 to 6 year run with it!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th June 2012 at 09:31.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:02   #335
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shankar and Jay,

You're both correct, the Yeti is a great vehicle for City as well as off-roading (with tyre upgrade). I would have gone for it were it a 2012 model. Loved the performance and a great vehicle for overtaking, it just gives you the punch you require. Also, you can press the clutch with your small finger, change gears effortlessly, more importantly, the gear lever does not shake... , like in a Fortuner
Old 19th June 2012, 11:23   #336
Senior - BHPian

yes, in India, especially those with exposure to TeamBHP and other automotive forums, decision on buying a Skoda invokes a fearful proposition. On the one hand, you love their cars, their Euro build quality and all the gadgets, but on the other hand, you try to convince yourself, may be, you'll be lucky with the ownership and reliability. I wonder how Skoda ranked higher in terms of customer satisfaction elsewhere. I mean, just see this video:

and this is a funny commercial, that did it for me
iTNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 13:06   #337
Senior - BHPian

Well the Renault Duster is also being launched this month. Have a look at the first photos of it's interiors here - Renault Duster review, test drive - Review - Autocar India

At 7.2 to 12 Lacs, it could also shake the market. Though I doubt it would affect bigger SUV's like the Fortuner but smaller SUV's like the Yeti could face the heat.
Old 19th June 2012, 14:46   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Plus I do not need the size and amount of space that the Fortuner offers. All it will do on my daily drive is to increase my space utilisation on these already overcrowded roads and my carbon footprint otherwise!
To add to this Shankar, the Fortuner has extremely basic interiors compared to the Yeti, or any other European SUV for that matter, which me, as someone paying 27lacs does not want to live with. Moreover, the vehicle I TDed had wind noise from its doors above 100kmph, something that my 5 yr old Scorpio doesn't, to this day, at any speed.

Though I will take a look at Mannuj's vehicle this month when I m at Delhi, I do not think that the Fortuner is as well finished and equipped, as it should be, by at least 50%.
Old 19th June 2012, 15:13   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
Well the Renault Duster is also being launched this month. Have a look at the first photos of it's interiors here - Renault Duster review, test drive - Review - Autocar India

At 7.2 to 12 Lacs, it could also shake the market. Though I doubt it would affect bigger SUV's like the Fortuner but smaller SUV's like the Yeti could face the heat.
Absolutely, I ve always been banging on since last year sometime that the Renault Duster would become like a budget conscious buyer's Yeti alternative!
Old 20th June 2012, 00:44   #340
BHPian

has anyone suggest if ipod interface like SKODA*::*XCarLink
can be connected to skoda yeti. This will be huge boon for existing skoda bolero system in my upcoming elegance
Old 20th June 2012, 05:02   #341
Senior - BHPian

Write to Pramods of Nagpur. He is the resident Electronics expert when it comes to the Yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
has anyone suggest if ipod interface like SKODA*::*XCarLink
can be connected to skoda yeti. This will be huge boon for existing skoda bolero system in my upcoming elegance
Old 20th June 2012, 08:32   #342
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Speaking of the Yeti, I recall what the SC at Vinayak Skoda, Marathahalli told me regarding tyre upgrade/upsizing: Sir, definitely you can upgrade/upsize the tyres. The stock tyres are not good for off-roading. You can see a big gap in the wheel arch, so you can easily put bigger tyres - no problem sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Though I will take a look at Mannuj's vehicle this month when I m at Delhi, I do not think that the Fortuner is as well finished and equipped, as it should be, by at least 50%.
Though the new fortuner is far better, they should have upgraded the rear brakes to disc, additional air bags, better braking experience & stop the shaking of the transmission! You'll feel like you're in a BMTC bus! Toyota are you hearing?

On the Yeti, you can press the clutch and shift the gears with your little finger! The steering is exceptionally smooth!

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2012 at 16:17. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 20th June 2012, 18:39   #343
Senior - BHPian

Is size of the space saver's steel spoke same as those of the alloys? eg. 7.0J x 16. Another question, can the bolero music unit display photo/images from SD card?

BTW, after seeing this photo below, I finally had found the color I want . yeah, the aqua mist blue color. The dealer does not have it, so they've put a new order. So, hoping it is a fresh piece. This image below also show the Nevis alloys that comes in the Indian Elegance variant. Cool!

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-yeti23_201206031643.jpg

Last edited by iTNerd : 20th June 2012 at 18:40.
Old 21st June 2012, 19:29   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Another question, can the bolero music unit display photo/images from SD card?

BTW, after seeing this photo below, I finally had found the color I want . yeah, the aqua mist blue color. The dealer does not have it, so they've put a new order. So, hoping it is a fresh piece. This image below also show the Nevis alloys that comes in the Indian Elegance variant. Cool!
I have tried JPEG and it didn't work so are the movie files. Not sure whether some other formats can work. Would love to get a slideshow option on the screen!

I also looked at Aqua Mist option, Vinayak (palace ground) has one on display as well last month. we liked the color in pictures but finally switched to white after looking at both colors! some how in person i didn't find the color that attractive. Anyway color is personal choice and as long as you like it doesn't matter at all...
Old 21st June 2012, 19:50   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
Speaking of the Yeti, I recall what the SC at Vinayak Skoda, Marathahalli told me regarding tyre upgrade/upsizing: Sir, definitely you can upgrade/upsize the tyres. The stock tyres are not good for off-roading. You can see a big gap in the wheel arch, so you can easily put bigger tyres - no problem sir!

On the Yeti, you can press the clutch and shift the gears with your little finger! The steering is exceptionally smooth!
That sales chap is an idiot. For all these tyre references etc it makes more sense to consult within our community here or to talk to the top chaps at the dealership or company itself if in doubt.
And I agree absolutely, the Yeti has one of the smoothest, slickest gear shifts I have ever experienced in my life, across cars, across categories. An Absolute Joy!
Closed Thread