Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 26th June 2012, 15:00   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Have you taken delivery of your yeti? Mine is arriving tomorrow from factory, and I had requested for PDI on 28th or 29th June. And my loan has been approved too at 10.35% interest for 48 months (10 lacs). So if all goes well, I should be getting delivery in early first week of July
Hi !

10.35 % for 48months seems to be a good deal. Would you mind telling me which bank is offering this deal and also if you could share the contact person's number?
Thanks!
Old 26th June 2012, 16:10   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo View Post
Hi !

10.35 % for 48months seems to be a good deal. Would you mind telling me which bank is offering this deal and also if you could share the contact person's number?
Thanks!
HDFC bank. I already have 2 car loans running with them, and they offered this one. By the way, it's in Delhi. So, I don't think it'll be applicable for Bangalore.
Old 26th June 2012, 16:57   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Car will arrive tonite. I will go for a pdi tomorrow and hoping everything goes well, I will take delivery day after. Between I am planning to get caska system and give my bolero system to my friend who will install on laura ambiente (manual).
That is great! Do you have list of points for PDI inspection? If so, do pass me on .

Regarding Caska system, would the existing display for Climatronics, parktronics etc and the audio controls on steering work seamlessly? Jai Auto quoted 50K for it, but I thought it was way too pricy.
Old 26th June 2012, 18:54   #364
BHPian

For the PDi, here is what Behemoth has to say. many thanks to him for providing the list.

1) First decode the VIN # of the Car that you are intending to take the delivery of. This will tell you the month and year of manufacture of the car.
You can use the link:
octinfo.com - Škoda Octavia info

2) Next, check the white protective films pasted on the vehicle - they have the date of installation and date of expiry (1 year from date of installation).

3) Check the tyres well. For cars which have been standing typically in the yard for very long, the tyres can get damaged if they lose pressure (that is one of the reasons why they inflate tyres to obscene levels 45-50 PSI) when they store them in the yard for long durations.

4) Check the body for any paint damage/ pitting from stones and also rusting.

5) check the rubber door seals / weather gaskets for suppleness and none of them should be hard/ brittle.

6) Check the steering / internal buttons for signs of scuffing and rough use, if the vehicle may have been used frequently for test drives.

7) Check seats for fabric/ leather quality and finish and cleanliness. Check adjustment levers / knobs on all seats and get them lubricated if required.

8) Check entertainment unit and reverse sensors for proper functioning. Check all lights / indicators.

9) Check battery charge level and engine starting (it should start within 1/2 sec after the glow plug light goes off.

10) Open the engine compartment and visually check for any loose cables / signs of wear and tear / chances of cable being bitten by rats

11) Examine the brakes / discs - some amount of rusting is normal, but it should not be too much.

12) Examine the underbody for any rusting / abnormal signs

13) Drive the car if possible, and listen carefully for any abnormal sounds (squeaks / creaks / knocks).

14) After delivery be sure to tank up fully as fuel left in the tank for a long time can form sludge and needs to be flushed out with regular usages and full tanks.

15) On delivery, get the entire suspension lubricated

16) Apart from this, be sure that all the paperwork is in order (you can find more details on the TBHP PDI list- Esp the extended warranty/ Insurance/ Invoices, Temp number etc)

Last edited by abbey4u : 26th June 2012 at 18:56.
abbey4u is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 22:02   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo
Hello Folks,
I am also considering the YETI seriously (probably the 4X2, Ambition, 2012 model). Have managed to negotiate a discount of 1.2 lakhs so far from Vinayak. Any pointers on what would be a good price to go ahead and book it? Thanks in advance
So you have contacted Hemanth I guess?
He will look after you. I ve written to him separately on the same.
There is one more prospect on the forum twinoctober and he is also in the process of making up his mind.
I guess you guys should get together and push because I have introduced him too, to Hemanth.

All the best and I look forward to catching up with you chaps sometime
Cheers.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 14:28   #366
BHPian

My yeti arrived in showroom today. Went to see the car and did run through the pdi checklist. Things are okay. Date of Manufacture by VIN is June 2011. Date mentioned on white sticker on bonnet is Apr 2012 with expiry date in 2013. Does this mean it was assembled in apr 12?
Old 27th June 2012, 15:07   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So you have contacted Hemanth I guess?
He will look after you. I ve written to him separately on the same.
There is one more prospect on the forum twinoctober and he is also in the process of making up his mind.
I guess you guys should get together and push because I have introduced him too, to Hemanth.

All the best and I look forward to catching up with you chaps sometime
Cheers.
Hi Shankar,
I have contacted him and am going today to meet him again. I have quoted your name already. He has offered another 18 k discount (corporate discount). Will discuss with him today and take a final call. I am now tempted to consider the 4x4 Ambiente version if he offers an overall discount of close to 2 L on the 4x 4. Will keep you posted. Will also try to connect to twinOctober.
Thanks!

Last edited by Kontoo : 27th June 2012 at 15:30. Reason: Typo
Old 27th June 2012, 17:15   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo

Hi Shankar,
I have contacted him and am going today to meet him again. I have quoted your name already. He has offered another 18 k discount (corporate discount). Will discuss with him today and take a final call. I am now tempted to consider the 4x4 Ambiente version if he offers an overall discount of close to 2 L on the 4x 4. Will keep you posted. Will also try to connect to twinOctober.
Thanks!
Am happy for you if you pull of the max discount! If you have the budget and are getting a fat discount, do consider the elegance. The touch screen is a blast, the 8 speaker system is a different world and while we dont know better when we have not experienced it before, the useful ness of the front parktronic aid and the cornering fog lamps are totally amazing!

Don't take the free mats that they will offer. Those are useless.
Spend 7000 at Hot Tracks and buy those 3D kagu mats. They are wonderful indeed. You dont need the specially cut hard mat from hot tracks for the dicky because that is another 3500 and unless you have high stress situations in your dicky, it is overkill. In my case, i take my doggies out in it so I ve got it, but for regular non canine type usage it is not required.
If you can, get a yoga mat from one of the fitness shops and line the boot with it a la Behemoth. That will suffice and will cost only some Rs 800 or so.
Ask Vinayak for a car cover which they should give you free.

All the very best and hope you get what you want and get served well too.

Cheers
Sb

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th June 2012 at 17:19.
Old 27th June 2012, 18:01   #369
BHPian

Hi Shankar,
Have been following all the yeti threads here for quite some time and the kind of discount people are getting on yeti esp in Bangalore from Vinayak. Here in Surat dealer is not giving more than 50K on 4x4. i even talked to SKODA guy who looks after sales in gujarat region but to no avail.
Talked to Skoda showroom in Pune and he said they are not authorized to sell outcity where skoda showroom already exists.
Any idea would i be able to purchase from Vinayak B'lore. i dont have hesitation in driving down from b'lore.
Though i have booked W-8 XUV but heart always lies in Yeti and if get the same kind of discounts ( a couple of grands here n there) and i would jump to yeti anytime.
thanks
regards
amit dave
Old 27th June 2012, 18:11   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7377
Hi Shankar,
Have been following all the yeti threads here for quite some time and the kind of discount people are getting on yeti esp in Bangalore from Vinayak. Here in Surat dealer is not giving more than 50K on 4x4. i even talked to SKODA guy who looks after sales in gujarat region but to no avail.
Talked to Skoda showroom in Pune and he said they are not authorized to sell outcity where skoda showroom already exists.
Any idea would i be able to purchase from Vinayak B'lore. i dont have hesitation in driving down from b'lore.
Though i have booked W-8 XUV but heart always lies in Yeti and if get the same kind of discounts ( a couple of grands here n there) and i would jump to yeti anytime.
thanks
regards
amit dave
Hi. Thats a pain!
The thing is that all these dealers have specific territories assigned. There are strict no compete clauses there, so for example if Vinayak sells a car je can do it only within his territory and he has to register it too. Unless you have a proper address in Bangalore that cant be done legally.
Apart from this, Bangalore is one of the most expensive places to buy a car, on account of the road taxes and excise etc.
Vinayak, for example, cannot even sell a car to someone in Mangalore within Karnataka, because the authorized dealer there is Tafe.
These dealers hold heavy sway in the smaller towns as is evident. In the big cities they are at each others throats, which is why also, one is able to pull out some deals!
I am really sorry to see your plight and I really wish I could help you on this.
Maybe you should try doing some sort of group buy in Surat, like those guys in Aurangabad who bought Mercedes and BMW cars?
Old 27th June 2012, 18:17   #371
BHPian

Thanks a lot Sir. However the problem in surat is that here people just dont bargain esp those buying cars in these segments. At least in case of yeti i myself saw two bookings done without any sort of asking for discounts. Thats why dealer doesnt budge. Infact he has no stock of last year or pre budget also.
One more suggestion: dont know if you can answer but should one be stretching budget to 18 Lakhs to buy yeti 4x4 ambition at a discount of 50K. (Original budget was around 15-16 when i booked XUV). Was prepared to go to 17 also.

Sorry Mods:i guess it would have been better it i edited my earlier post and added my comments there. Would keep in mind next time.

Last edited by dave7377 : 27th June 2012 at 18:19.
Old 27th June 2012, 18:22   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Sir. However the problem in surat is that here people just dont bargain esp those buying cars in these segments. At least in case of yeti i myself saw two bookings done without any sort of asking for discounts. Thats why dealer doesnt budge. Infact he has no stock of last year or pre budget also.
One more suggestion: dont know if you can answer but should one be stretching budget to 18 Lakhs to buy yeti 4x4 ambition at a discount of 50K. (Original budget was around 15-16 when i booked XUV). Was prepared to go to 17 also.
If you don't really need the 4WD, then why not go and buy yourself the 4x2 Ambition? That is a perfectly competent car and is now very reasonably priced indeed, compared to the 4x4. I mean, why stretch the base budget by a couple of lacs simply to get a 50k discount?
Will also say that the Yeti is infinitely superior in fit and finish and quality to the XUV any day. However, it can seat 4 people in comfort and 5 at a squeeze, whereas you will not have a space constraint in your XUV. Figure out your actual needs and be wise in your choice!

Surat appears to be a very well heeled place indeed, if people dont bargain for cars! Amazing!
Perhaps you might want to talk to the dealers in Ahmedabad before committing to the Surat chap?

Cant you use the good offices of ONGC to bully the dealer?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th June 2012 at 18:25.
Old 27th June 2012, 18:53   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If you don't really need the 4WD, then why not go and buy yourself the 4x2 Ambition? That is a perfectly competent car and is now very reasonably priced indeed, compared to the 4x4. I mean, why stretch the base budget by a couple of lacs simply to get a 50k discount?
Will also say that the Yeti is infinitely superior in fit and finish and quality to the XUV any day. However, it can seat 4 people in comfort and 5 at a squeeze, whereas you will not have a space constraint in your XUV. Figure out your actual needs and be wise in your choice!

Surat appears to be a very well heeled place indeed, if people dont bargain for cars! Amazing!
Perhaps you might want to talk to the dealers in Ahmedabad before committing to the Surat chap?

Cant you use the good offices of ONGC to bully the dealer?
Shankar Sir, The question 4x2 and 4x4 has been on my mind for a long time. i am driving fiesta classic since June 2009 and clocked 65k kms till now out of which 30k have been on highways of all kinds. Only a handful of times i felt i should have had 4x4 but then i couldnt go to places like ladakh or some offroading even if iwanted coz perhaps fiesta would not handle. (yes i know people have been going in Alto to ladakh). So its like if you can afford better to have even for that 5% usage

Now would it be possible for you to pl. throw some insight as to if there are other changes as to its structural integrity in 4x2 version compared to 4x4 (like they have done in Aria).

Then the question comes to mind is should a 4x2 110bhp yeti be compared to duster.
Regarding space, well i dont actually need the space XUV offers but had booked coz of long wait period and no other decent choices in my budget of 15-16 lakhs. (Didnt like the practical choice of aria and innova for their van like shape, even though i know they offer a lot of comfort, and cruze for its low ground clearance).

Even spoke to all dealers in gujarat and no one is offering discounts more than 50K. Regarding using good offices of ONGC, Well here in Surat its mostly a business dominant community and corporate offers range from 5K to 20k which dealer says he has already included in 50k.
So confusion prevails.
Old 27th June 2012, 19:28   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Shankar Sir, The question 4x2 and 4x4 has been on my mind for a long time. i am driving fiesta classic since June 2009 and clocked 65k kms till now out of which 30k have been on highways of all kinds. Only a handful of times i felt i should have had 4x4 but then i couldnt go to places like ladakh or some offroading even if iwanted coz perhaps fiesta would not handle. (yes i know people have been going in Alto to ladakh). So its like if you can afford better to have even for that 5% usage

Now would it be possible for you to pl. throw some insight as to if there are other changes as to its structural integrity in 4x2 version compared to 4x4 (like they have done in Aria).

Then the question comes to mind is should a 4x2 110bhp yeti be compared to duster.
Regarding space, well i dont actually need the space XUV offers but had booked coz of long wait period and no other decent choices in my budget of 15-16 lakhs. (Didnt like the practical choice of aria and innova for their van like shape, even though i know they offer a lot of comfort, and cruze for its low ground clearance).

Even spoke to all dealers in gujarat and no one is offering discounts more than 50K. Regarding using good offices of ONGC, Well here in Surat its mostly a business dominant community and corporate offers range from 5K to 20k which dealer says he has already included in 50k.
So confusion prevails.

In short, no you don't need the 4WD version just on the off chance that you may go to Ladakh once.

However, it is a nice to have, if you can afford it, but NOT a must have by any means! If you can indeed afford it and/ or really want it, as I did, yes by all means do buy it. Why not? After all ZNMD no?

No there are no structural integrity issues with the Yeti. it has a Euro NCAP and and ANCAP (australia) safety rating of 5 stars in all avatars. It is amongst the best cars in the world today for its practical value. The fact is borne out by the 3 month wait list in the UK!

That110 bhp engine is more than fine. It is a 2WD Front wheel drive which is great fun using on hill roads etc.
It comes with all the essential safety kit - no compromises there by Skoda.

I would not really compare these Euro cars to the the Arias and XUV s of the world. They are in a different class altogether.

if you want plush quality, excellent fit,finish, finesse and feel, buy the Yeti.

If you're ok with a more basic rugged, budget oriented, more basic sort of vehicle, then you may want to think on the lines of the Duster.
The Duster is significantly cheaper but will certainly be very much lower on quality and plushness and luxe, than the Yeti.

Enjoy!
Old 28th June 2012, 10:37   #375
BHPian

I tried negotiating for a 4x4 Ambiente but Hemanth told me that he would at best be able to offer a 60 k discount as there is currently no production. On the 4x4 Elegance(2011 model) the best deal I got was 1.8 lakhs off but the difference between my chosen variant(Ambition) and Elegance after discount was 2.75 lakhs, so I decided to go ahead with the 4x2 Ambition only. Am likely to go for a PDI today. I only hope that there isn't too much of a difference in the power because of the reduced PS ( I haven't test driven the 4x2 version yet)
Closed Thread