Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2012, 14:50   #406
Senior - BHPian

Hey abbey and ITnerd.
Congrats! Glad to have been able to help n whatever small way. Thank you for the appreciation. Guys like Behemoth, Pramod and sunilrj were instrumental in helping me make the choice so I am glad to have been part of the baton change process in the relay too!
Eagerly looking forward to your reviews and pics.
Wishing you both all the best and many happy miles with your respective BigFeet!
I think it is a great vehicle and deserves great credit for its merits!
Enjoy!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 21:50   #407
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

There has been many threads pointing out the negatives of Skoda. Let this thread be the start to point out the positives! Frankly speaking so far I've had very good experiences from Vinayak Skoda (though i did not buy from them - for some unknown reason) and Tafe Access, Saint Marks Road.

I also saw many customers placing orders at TAL, St Marks, on saturday. The way the vehicles were handled during PDI & for delivery were above average. A lot of care was taken and they're also providing free body coating, waxing/polishing before delivery.
Old 1st July 2012, 23:19   #408
Senior - BHPian

Just over 24 hours of possession and, I had already covered 140 kms, had a small eat-in mini picnic inside the car with dual AC on with 3 of my friends, had put on accessories worth 46K and even managed some eye contacts from BMW/Audi drivers on the red lights and why not, for such a rare magnificent beast that generally tries to avoid human contacts .

Among the accessories, the prominent ones are the bluetooth and Media modules in the bolero system, for which only the buttons are given, but the functionality is missing (for India). Now, I can call, receive or reject calls using the car's inbuilt speakers/microphone (and the phone books, logs also get displayed in the MID and the bolera interface).

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-t_dsc0377.jpg

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-t_dsc0378.jpg

Another addition is the native iPod integration. With this, the bolero system can access the iPod playlist and play with the steering controls too.

Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner-t_dsc0376.jpg

(though I have already installed the iPod portability module, the media module in the bolero system needs to be activated/programmed via VAGCOM/VCDS. This will be done this Tuesday hopefully. I am also thinking of enabling the needle staging on start during that time.)

Also added twin chrome exhaust tips, and CR70 sunfilms all around. The cooling inside has drastically improved with the new films, though the dual climatronics chilled the cabin superbly.

Lastly, tank up 56 litres today and paid ~ Rs 2300 ONLY. In this rate, I don't think, I am going to take out my civic anytime soon
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 23:21   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
Just over 24 hours of possession and, I had already covered 140 kms, had a small eat-in mini picnic inside the car with dual AC on with 3 of my friends, had put on accessories worth 46K and even managed some eye contacts from BMW/Audi drivers on the red lights and why not, for such a rare magnificent beast that generally tries to avoid human contacts .

Among the accessories, the prominent ones are the bluetooth and Media modules in the bolero system, for which only the buttons are given, but the functionality is missing (for India). Now, I can call, receive or reject calls using the car's inbuilt speakers/microphone (and the phone books, logs also get displayed in the MID and the bolera interface).

Another addition is the native iPod integration. With this, the bolero system can access the iPod playlist and play with the steering controls too.

(though I have already installed the iPod portability module, the media module in the bolero system needs to be activated/programmed via VAGCOM/VCDS. This will be done this Tuesday hopefully. I am also thinking of enabling the needle staging on start during that time.)

Also added twin chrome exhaust tips, and CR70 sunfilms all around. The cooling inside has drastically improved with the new films, though the dual climatronics chilled the cabin superbly.

Lastly, tank up 56 litres today and paid ~ Rs 2300 ONLY. In this rate, I don't think, I am going to take out my civic anytime soon
Ah!

Now is my turn to learn.
Can you please help me with these fiddlies too? IPod, Bluetooth, etc?
Glad you're enjoying the Yeti!
Cheers!
Old 1st July 2012, 23:37   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ah!

Now is my turn to learn.
Can you please help me with these fiddlies too? IPod, Bluetooth, etc?
Glad you're enjoying the Yeti!
Cheers!
Check this out
Gateway Five | iPod, iPhone, USB adapter & Bluetooth kit for car stereo

My accessories guy is the sole distributor of Dension in India (he claims so) and he has been selling this GateWay Five to lot of VW/Audi/Skoda owners. Cost is Rs.20K including the programming cost (using VAGCOM/VCDS). No cutting of wires. Plug and play. But it needs to open your glovebox. If you want, I can link up with the guy (he says, he has sent such systems to Bangalore too)
Old 2nd July 2012, 04:52   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd
Check this out
Gateway Five | iPod, iPhone, USB adapter & Bluetooth kit for car stereo

My accessories guy is the sole distributor of Dension in India (he claims so) and he has been selling this GateWay Five to lot of VW/Audi/Skoda owners. Cost is Rs.20K including the programming cost (using VAGCOM/VCDS). No cutting of wires. Plug and play. But it needs to open your glovebox. If you want, I can link up with the guy (he says, he has sent such systems to Bangalore too)
Thanks. I may consider all these additionals only later. Am still a bit skeptical on any kind of after market thingy, regardless of brand. Its always down to execution and I am not sure I want anyone to fiddle with the Yeti at all!
Old 2nd July 2012, 05:01   #412
Senior - BHPian

^^^ With something as Loaded as the Yeti, After-market IMO is just unnecessary indulgence and the over-arching need to do something really different.
I totally agree with your point of view here, in keeping it as stock as possible, and especially not to fiddle around with electronic items.
By the way, what are you doing up so early?
Old 2nd July 2012, 06:26   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran
^^^ With something as Loaded as the Yeti, After-market IMO is just unnecessary indulgence and the over-arching need to do something really different.
I totally agree with your point of view here, in keeping it as stock as possible, and especially not to fiddle around with electronic items.
By the way, what are you doing up so early?
Hey!
I agree. I will allow at least a year or two of ownership to go by before attempting any fiddlies, if then.
I get up very early indeed. Take the dogs out for their customary chukker and then try and burn some of the waistline etc.
Ha!

Thing is that the iPad is always on and one can pretty much participate live if one wants Or whenever one likes instead of waiting for a notification and boot up etc in order to reply. One more milestone for consumers in the journey of instant gratification!
Cheerios!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd July 2012 at 06:28.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 08:17   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post

Attachment 949731

Attachment 949732

Attachment 949730

Hi iTnerd,

Why don't you please share the detailed experience of your purchase, delivery & initial experience with the vehicle. Please mention what you liked about the Yeti, why you chose it despite "skoda" is considered as a "NO-NO" brand by many. Do include some photos as well. I'm sure most of us are eagerly waiting to share your happiness!
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:27   #415
Senior - BHPian

A slightly OT, rather, a relevant but a very intangible question to all Yeti and Fortuner owners on this thread:

All in all, it is well proven and documented that for 4 people on board and decent all terrain driving across the country, the Yeti is a superb all rounder. Frugal, extremely well finished, lots of features and reliable too.

However, in India, on the highways and other small towns, which would be the natural haunts of any cross country traveler, the size of the vehicle decides quite a few things. Right of way, Peeking eyes, close calls or "cut maarna" in the local lingo but autos, cycle rickshaws, two wheelers etc, treatment meted out at police checkings etc.

Also, people keep safe distance from big macho SUVs and to a certain extent very premium sedans compared to other vehicles. This psychological factor plays a great role in ensuring individual and family safety as well, when travelling through new, uninhabited lands, either in an unknown city or the highway.

So, keeping all the other factors aside, how do the Fortuner and the Yeti compare on this psychological safety front?

Inputs by dkaile, pramods, shankar, sushil et al, greatly appreciated.
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:33   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
how do the Fortuner and the Yeti compare on this psychological safety front?
It's a no brainer really. Fortuner wins hands down on this account. Indian road conditions are very chaotic compared to the European ones for which the Yeti is primarily built. Though Yeti is a very very capable vehicle in its own right, but size is might and their no replacement for size (as also displacement) here in India.

I would feel safer driving on UP/Delhi roads in a Fortuner than in a Yeti (or a Superb) any day...

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd July 2012 at 08:34.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:22   #417
Senior - BHPian

The answer, Prima Facie looks very simple indeed.

If you peace of mind in terms of non-interference and no-peeking and quite possibly preferential treatment at check posts etc, then please go and buy a Fortuner, since that appears to be the choice of most of the political creepologists and other such denizens of the highways.

It seems to ensure a healthy respect from all the riff-raff on the roads. If nothing else, you will be a sheep in Wolf's clothing, which might be of some benefit to you.

If you want a refined vehicle with very high levels of finesse, fit and quality and plushness, then opt for the Yeti.

Also consider what your usage pattern is. If you are going to be doing 60-70% highways and off the beaten track places and if you require a lot of space etc, then the Fortuner it is!

If on the other hand your usage is going to be more occasional on the highways and out of station trips but predominantly in the city, and particularly in crowded cities such as BLR, where you are likely to have parking troubles and tight squeeze situations on the daily run, then the Yeti it is.

I had a similar dilemma. I did some hard analysis and some honest soul searching.

While I do like the large, powerful, capacious and imposing Fortuner in many ways, I still found it to be too big for daily usage. I also don't like its relative lack of refinement and lower spec levels at a higher price, compared with the Yeti.

To me the ONLY place that the Fortuner Scored over the Yeti was in terms of space - golf bag test, comfortable for all three dogs at the same time etc.
But, my basic daily usage pattern decided me contrariwise. So for me, it was a no brainer to go and buy the Yeti.

I find that in most cases, rather than imposing one's might onto the poor downtrodden bloke at the check post, a simple politeness and charm of manner works better. And this aspect goes down much better in a softer edged "vahanam" or vehicle!

The T FORT can inspire extreme reactions in these types of service providers - they may either get cowed down by one's mighty appearance OR they may get super-aggressive out of sheer irritation and spite - there is no accounting for human nature!

I suppose if I had unlimited coffers at my disposal as well as unlimited amounts of leisure time and then actual need for more than one vehicle at my home, then I would actually maintain a smaller runabout for the city and a Fortuner type thing for all outstation trips and highway drives etc.

Since we only require one vehicle the Yeti offered us the best of both worlds. I find this to be a smarter solution than my earlier behavior pattern - we had the Swift which we used in the city and the Scorpio which we used when we went out of town or for golf or general utility.
However, we quickly realized the inefficiency and waste of maintaining and hanging on to two vehicles, neither of which, by themselves, received sufficient usage!

Quote:
A slightly OT, rather, a relevant but a very intangible question to all Yeti and Fortuner owners on this thread:

So, keeping all the other factors aside, how do the Fortuner and the Yeti compare on this psychological safety front?

Inputs by dkaile, pramods, shankar, sushil et al, greatly appreciated.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd July 2012 at 09:28.
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:42   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I would feel safer driving on UP/Delhi roads in a Fortuner than in a Yeti (or a Superb) any day...
Based on Shankar's reply below, about the possible repercussions (people over reacting to hide their psychological insecurity etc and the junta blaming the "badi gaadi waala") of moving around in a bullish vehicle, what are your thoughts?

Quote:
Also consider what your usage pattern is. If you are going to be doing 60-70% highways and off the beaten track places and if you require a lot of space etc, then the Fortuner it is!
This is my usage pattern with nominal city usage, however the refinement, the fuel efficiency and the electronic magic tricks that the Yeti so successfully plays alongwith its magic carpet ride quality and safety has me floored. Even if I were to compromise on the others, I feel that a reasonable FE greatly adds to the pleasure of long distance travel which is why I was also considering the Laura at one point of time, however it is off the list for now.

Quote:
The T FORT can inspire extreme reactions in these types of service providers - they may either get cowed down by one's mighty appearance OR they may get super-aggressive out of sheer irritation and spite - there is no accounting for human nature!
Here is where I m looking for instances/examples/incidents by both the Fortuner and the Yeti owners so that we have some real world data to glean information from.

Have the owners, on uncharted territories or home ground, experienced a preferential treatment, positively or negatively, when at the wheels of their Fortuners and Yetis compared to their earlier rides and if so, by what margin?
Over to dkaile, Nilanjan, Pramod, Sushil and of course, you.
Quote:
Since we only require one vehicle the Yeti offered us the best of both worlds.
So do we, since we prefer two wheelers for city commute or, at best, would go for a small automatic hatch or an electric car, a few years down the line.
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:53   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems to ensure a healthy respect from all the riff-raff on the roads. If nothing else, you will be a sheep in Wolf's clothing, which might be of some benefit to you.
I would certainly agree that Fortuner generates a level of respect and power amongst the common folk, and a white one gives the impression of a politician or a local goon (these are the guys in Gurgaon who mostly own White ones with VIP numbers!).
But, at the same time, the Fortuner is becoming an increasing target for car hijackings due to the high demand for it amongst politicians / goons in UP /Bihar /MP areas. The most preferred vehicles for them are Fortuner/ Bolero / Scorpio in white colour.
If you ask me, Fortuner is serious overkill for a Metro city like Gurgaon/ Delhi/ Bangalore / Mumbai etc.! But if you live in an upcountry city where parking space / road space / distances are not a problem, plus you need a car to intimidate people with, the Fortuner is the defacto choice (of course at a 8 lac higher price with lower features!). Also if you have a large family (5adults + 2 kids) the Fortuner has the space. The Fortuner has true offroad capabilities and can easily go anywhere without breaking any sweat.

On the other hand if one is a city dweller, with very little space on the roads, less parking space, long distances to cover and visits Malls more frequently than highways, the Yeti is the obvious choice!
In terms of driving, the Yeti is much more comfortable to drive (smaller size, smaller turning radius, less vibrations, good visibility all round and much less body roll). The Yeti is also a much faster animal and picks up like anything which the Fortuner cannot match. It is thrilling to drive and very maneuverable too.
The Yeti is not intimidating at all in its posture/ size and of course you cannot and should not bully people with your car / driving!

Frankly I like both cars as much - My only recommendation is that each user thinks well on how his usage is going to be and then put his money on it! Both are great cars but they serve different purposes.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd July 2012 at 10:05.
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:52   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on Shankar's reply below, about the possible repercussions (people over reacting to hide their psychological insecurity etc and the junta blaming the "badi gaadi waala") of moving around in a bullish vehicle, what are your thoughts?

Have the owners, on uncharted territories or home ground, experienced a preferential treatment, positively or negatively, when at the wheels of their Fortuners and Yetis compared to their earlier rides and if so, by what margin?
The kind of awe and respect that the Fortuner inspires here in North India is hard to replicate. We may be 'sheep' in wolf's clothing but I have had several instances of preferential treatment when I drive in the Fortuner which I could not replicate even in the Superb. The Fortuner is seen as a vehicle 'not to be messed with' here in the North, at least. Also the huge dimensions prove more of an asset rather than a liability unless you are driving in very narrow lanes. The safety cocoon of the Fortuner is unparalleled by any other vehicle I have recently driven.
Closed Thread