Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:58   #421
BHPian
 
jimmyjagga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 68
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

I would feel safer driving on UP/Delhi roads in a Fortuner than in a Yeti (or a Superb) any day...

Forgive me if I sound imprudent, but what exactly is "safer" here. I have Corolla Altis, Swift VXI, Zen Estilio and I live and commute mostly in NCR, am I driving unsafe vehicles.

Just because of its shear size, its a vehicle not be messed with? Preferential treatment? Do we give one to you here in team BHP? Relax a mahout with elephant would sure be given way, but that does not means I would want to buy the elephant as my next ride. T. Fort is a great Vehicle, its sibling is sold in US as Forerunner, I bought RAV4 over this, just because later served my requirement much efficiently than 4runner.

I my believe "Safer" is a mind concept which S. Balan and other yeti owners are trying to educate us about. We have a nice, full featured vehicle and it is downplayed here because of its shear size. I wonder if yeti would have been as Big as T. Fort would the "Safer" change hands.

Last edited by jimmyjagga : 3rd July 2012 at 11:03.
jimmyjagga is offline  
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:02   #422
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
If you ask me, Fortuner is serious overkill for a Metro city like Gurgaon/ Delhi/ Bangalore / Mumbai etc.! But if you live in an upcountry city where parking space / road space / distances are not a problem, plus you need a car to intimidate people with, the Fortuner is the defacto choice (of course at a 8 lac higher price with lower features!).
Frankly I like both cars as much - My only recommendation is that each user thinks well on how his usage is going to be and then put his money on it! Both are great cars but they serve different purposes.
Sorry, I missed out the most active Yeti owner while mentioning other names Behemoth.
So, here goes my question.With your experience, do you feel better in a Fortuner or the Yeti on, say, NCR roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The Fortuner is seen as a vehicle 'not to be messed with' here in the North, at least. Also the huge dimensions prove more of an asset rather than a liability unless you are driving in very narrow lanes. The safety cocoon of the Fortuner is unparalleled by any other vehicle I have recently driven.
It is this "perception" that exists amongst the junta, almost across the country which is pulling me towards the Fortuner since I hardly use Hariya in a crowded city like Bangalore and do not plan to use the Yeti/Fortuner as well.

For example, even in Hariya, who is now a common sight in all cities/towns/villages and is also a taxi in many places, people generally stay away from peering into his cabin when we sleep at a toll gate/petrol pump etc.
I confidently stop at any dhaba of my choice with my wife and we are generally either respected or ignored, never stared at, by drivers, staff, and the like. People like tirewallahs, petrol pump attendants etc are comparatively polite and most of all, shared autos, rickshaws, two wheelers and the like, even in other cities/towns, keep a safe distance and do not cut across.

More inputs awaited from both Fortuner and Yeti owners on the topic.
n.devdath is offline  
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:14   #423
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,985
Thanked: 4,025 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
but what exactly is "safer" here.
Come and drive with me for a week in Meerut's traffic and I bet your views will be changed. Safety is more than a perception here in India and that is not to say that all other (smaller) vehicles are not safe. The Yeti is in fact a more safer vehicle on paper (with 6 air bags etc.) but on-road conditions and social perceptions are very different in India than in the West. It was on the view of subjective safeness of a vehicle that my view was based.
dkaile is online now  
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:19   #424
BHPian
 
jimmyjagga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 68
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
Come and drive with me for a week in Meerut's traffic and I bet your views will be changed. Safety is more than a perception here in India and that is not to say that all other (smaller) vehicles are not safe. The Yeti is in fact a more safer vehicle on paper (with 6 air bags etc.) but on-road conditions and social perceptions are very different in India than in the West. It was on the view of subjective safeness of a vehicle that my view was based.


In that you are right, and I agree with you. But somewhere down the line, this concept has to change. Yes yeti is safer in case of collision, overturning etc. But like you said " safety is more than perception.." in our country the country of God and Godmen's this has to change.
jimmyjagga is offline  
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:24   #425
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Sorry, I missed out the most active Yeti owner while mentioning other names Behemoth.
So, here goes my question.With your experience, do you feel better in a Fortuner or the Yeti on, say, NCR roads?
Well in NCR, it is Yeti 100% for us! I also drive frequently on UP roads to Bareilly which is my in-laws place and never faced any issues with people bullying with their driving. The Yeti can easily outrun 95% of vehicles on Indian roads and very few vehicles (apart from Cruze/ BMWs and Audis!) can keep up with it. The safety features allow for easy and safe high speed cruising. Even as a highway cruiser I am reassured due to ESP and other features, which will help avoid accidents and aid in quick maneuvering without any antics. I am sure VB-san who recently had an accident will confirm that these features actually helped control the Yeti even after the tyre had been burst due the bad side hit which the truck did to his Yeti.

In India, size does not guarantee safety - it is a false perception. The way that Truck and bus drivers drive on the highways is crazy and they don't care about any car/ Vehicle be it Yeti or Fortuner.
Recently outside Delhi, a Truck Driver actually hit two elephants walking on the highway (killed one and injured the other one badly). The problem is the overworked and sleepless drivers on the highways which are a major hazard for everyone.

I feel that we need to be responsible with our driving and set a good example as TBHP members for fellow drivers and show courtesy.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:33   #426
BHPian
 
jimmyjagga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 68
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth

Well in NCR, it is Yeti 100% for us! I also drive frequently on UP roads to Bareilly which is my in-laws place and never faced any issues with people bullying with their driving. The Yeti can easily outrun 95% of vehicles on Indian roads and very few vehicles (apart from Cruze/ BMWs and Audis!) can keep up with it. The safety features allow for easy and safe high speed cruising. Even as a highway cruiser I am reassured due to ESP and other features, which will help avoid accidents and aid in quick maneuvering without any antics. I am sure VB-san who recently had an accident will confirm that these features actually helped control the Yeti even after the tyre had been burst due the bad side hit which the truck did to his Yeti.

In India, size does not guarantee safety - it is a false perception. The way that Truck and bus drivers drive on the highways is crazy and they don't care about any car/ Vehicle be it Yeti or Fortuner.
Recently outside Delhi, a Truck Driver actually hit two elephants walking on the highway (killed one and injured the other one badly). The problem is the overworked and sleepless drivers on the highways which are a major hazard for everyone.

I feel that we need to be responsible with our driving and set a good example as TBHP members for fellow drivers and show courtesy.

Regards,
Behemoth




So you do agree that safety perception in India is changing and people are making educated decision on buying vehicles viz. airbags, easy handling, ESP, rather than falling down on it's shear size alone.
jimmyjagga is offline  
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:46   #427
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,985
Thanked: 4,025 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
Yes yeti is safer in case of collision, overturning etc. But like you said " safety is more than perception.." in our country the country of God and Godmen's this has to change.
It is hard to say that the Fortuner will be unsafer than a Yeti in case of collision or overturning even though yeti is loaded with more safety features on paper. That is a debate I do not want to get into. And why do we always want to change our country to emulate the West. Yes, we have some serious drawbacks and totally irrational traffic and flawed highways but our unique identity and culture is what we need to regain.

It will be a long time before we can change social perceptions and that can also be seen in this month's sales numbers of the two vehicles (Fortuner-1249 to Yeti-168). Even though one is cheaper by almost 8~10 lacs of rupees and technically superior in some aspects (according to many) it sells almost 10 times less. And that is the bottom line...
dkaile is online now  
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:24   #428
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Safety is more than a perception here in India and that is not to say that all other (smaller) vehicles are not safe. The Yeti is in fact a more safer vehicle on paper (with 6 air bags etc.) but on-road conditions and social perceptions are very different in India than in the West.
Which is the point I m trying to understand. It is the perception that makes a huge difference in the safety of the vehicle, in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
In that you are right, and I agree with you. But somewhere down the line, this concept has to change. Yes yeti is safer in case of collision, overturning etc. But like you said " safety is more than perception.." in our country the country of God and Godmen's this has to change.
I completely second this and subscribe to the fact that it is TBHPians like us who should drive such changes, but the question is, is the environment ready for it? In my case, for example, I expect my next purchase to last me a life time and cannot afford to bear the brunt of the change if it means a bullied and scratched vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Well in NCR, it is Yeti 100% for us! I also drive frequently on UP roads to Bareilly which is my in-laws place and never faced any issues with people bullying with their driving.
That is comforting to know, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
In India, size does not guarantee safety - it is a false perception. The way that Truck and bus drivers drive on the highways is crazy and they don't care about any car/ Vehicle be it Yeti or Fortuner.
Correct, but unfortunately, size in India, from what I ve seen, is equated with strength, or, in other words, "Don't mess with me" attitude.

What do passengers tell you when you are in a hatch back?
"Don't go too close to trucks, they are dangerous".

And what does my uncle tell me when I hold my lane and refuse to budge when there is a recklessly driven bus barreling down my lane?

"That is a B-I-G vehicle, the damage will be yours, stay away from it".

And what does the bus wallah think?

"Ha, there is a midget on the road, even if I hit him, I will at most, break a fender while he will be in pieces."

But when he sees another bus or a truck, he moves aside.
It is such conditions that prompt people to buy bigger vehicles though they are not necessarily safer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
So you do agree that safety perception in India is changing and people are making educated decision on buying vehicles viz. airbags, easy handling, ESP, rather than falling down on it's shear size alone.
I ve highlighted my experiences and concerns above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
It will be a long time before we can change social perceptions
Which is why I m slightly nervous on signing the dotted line for the Yeti.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:58   #429
BHPian
 
AltoHoncho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 581
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
...

Correct, but unfortunately, size in India, from what I ve seen, is equated with strength, or, in other words, "Don't mess with me" attitude.

What do passengers tell you when you are in a hatch back?
"Don't go too close to trucks, they are dangerous".
...
Even in an SUV or anything else for that matter, going too close to a moving truck is equally dangerous. No matter if its a Rangie or a Humvee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
...
And what does my uncle tell me when I hold my lane and refuse to budge when there is a recklessly driven bus barreling down my lane?

"That is a B-I-G vehicle, the damage will be yours, stay away from it".
...
Thats a sane advice and doesnt apply only to big vehicle, even a small hatch driven recklessly and honking behind you would generate a similar advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
...
And what does the bus wallah think?

"Ha, there is a midget on the road, even if I hit him, I will at most, break a fender while he will be in pieces."

...
This is purely our perception, quote such things only when you've stats else its not quite ethical to put a class of people in bad light just based on what you think. On long highway commutes we mostly rely on these people only for any help/direction.

Yes the bigger the better might be the case in India and to establish one's might, one of the ways is an SUV but If you're purchase approach is based on the 'might' then do consider a truck or bus in your list .

Whatever you consider as your purchase whether a Yeti or Fortuner etc etc, remember there will always be bigger and mightier machines than yours on the road waiting to mow you down (looks like from your posts). Best of luck.
AltoHoncho is offline  
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:03   #430
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Whatever you consider as your purchase whether a Yeti or Fortuner etc etc, remember there will always be bigger and mightier machines than yours on the road waiting to mow you down (looks like from your posts). Best of luck.
I completely concur but don't you feel that it is easier to hold on to your lane in a physically bigger vehicle compared to a small one and the wrong doer too takes greater cognizance of the fact as well, at least in India?

Last edited by n.devdath : 3rd July 2012 at 14:04.
n.devdath is offline  
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:15   #431
BHPian
 
jimmyjagga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 68
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

I am able to understand this much, that one has to decide his/her own self what one wants from his ride. I like when Shankar Balan mentioned that he did lot of " Soul Searching" asked himself honest questions on what he wants from his vehicle. I can state my view here that I want a complete package, good safety equipment, and a modern ride, easy handling (well! something my wife too can drive with ease and confidence). Again, it is my take that T. Fort on other than its shear size and Toyota Reliability falls short on other essentials. As far as off-Roading is considered, i guess like other Yeti owners have mentioned it can do its fair share.

Be it T. fort, yeti, another SUV, MUV or a sedan (hatch too!) I want good equipment and refinement level and I want it too serve my need (Bottom line is this MY NEED!)
So here's a Yeti which serves Shankar to his needs and to Dkaile his T. Fort serves to exactly what wants from his ride (Am I right Dkaile!)
jimmyjagga is offline  
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:24   #432
BHPian
 
AltoHoncho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 581
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I completely concur but don't you feel that it is easier to hold on to your lane in a physically bigger vehicle compared to a small one and the wrong doer too takes greater cognizance of the fact as well, at least in India?
With bigger machine comes even bigger responsibility of being more careful attentive while in motion (that surely doesnt mean that smaller ones are permitted to wander carelessly on road at all).

Also do remember, the bigger the vehicle, the more are chances of facing a public dhulai even if you're not at fault... thats our way of justice on roads.

This thread is running aimlessly for more than a year now I believe and still the thread owner hasnt come to any conclusion everyone is beating around the same bush since then
AltoHoncho is offline  
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:50   #433
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
With bigger machine comes even bigger responsibility of being more careful attentive while in motion (that surely doesnt mean that smaller ones are permitted to wander carelessly on road at all).

Also do remember, the bigger the vehicle, the more are chances of facing a public dhulai even if you're not at fault... thats our way of justice on roads.

This thread is running aimlessly for more than a year now I believe and still the thread owner hasnt come to any conclusion everyone is beating around the same bush since then
Incidentally, the Thread owner (Nitinbose) bought a Fortuner 6 months back. Then after 6 months of use (present day -30 days?) sold it!
He is again in the market for a Sedan/ SUV and the frontrunners in his choice at the moment is a Laura L&K / Superb. I think he has already made the booking and is awaiting delivery (mid-Aug).

Last edited by Behemoth : 3rd July 2012 at 14:52.
Behemoth is offline  
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:16   #434
BHPian
 
abbey4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 441
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

What's the definition of safety? if its just that rickshaw, bike autos etc go away when a car pass through the streets, then yes fortuner gives that sense. Same goes with other bigger muscular SUV like safari (i owned one until last month). But if you talk about better road manner, driving confidence at high speed, i think yeti is the way to go.

But we don't buy cars just for the safety. We buy for better ergonomics and overall needs of an individual and everyone has different needs. The reason i sold my safari was the fact that driving in city was a pain. I wanted a car which can fit in my city use and is good enough to take it anywhere. I do a few road trip to MP where my parents live + once every 2-3 months highway trip.

Both Fortuner and Yeti are good in their own territory, but if you are small family and live in metro and like to drive self, then yeti should be preferred over fortuner
abbey4u is offline  
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:17   #435
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 1,006
Thanked: 651 Times
Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Yes, Behemoth, that's true. I'd sold my fortuner after 9 months of use. Its definitely a huge car giving a road presence, especially if you felt that would give a boost. However, it lacks all what a 27 lacs car should have in terms of luxury, safety & according to me, performance.

According to my experience, Fortuner has to have much better set of brakes, traction control etc., if its got to serve its purpose.

Fortuner sells more because there are limited choice of SUVs in that range. The Yeti would be a big pick if they could remove the round fog lamps and use the laura/superb fog lamps instead. This would make the front side appear better. It's a very capable vehicle.

I have booked a Laura L & K, but still confused on whether or not I should go for Superb AT Petol.

People in India have a belief that bigger cars or anything big is always the best! I do recall a scene in a computer shop, some 12 years ago, where a father and a son were purchasing a computer and were showcased a 17 inch monitor. The father exclaimed and said, "So everything would come fast, right"?

Last edited by nitinbose : 3rd July 2012 at 15:29.
nitinbose is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota Innova vs Toyota Fortuner - For a Family MAS SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 121 24th November 2017 20:26
Experience with Skoda Dealerships in Pune (while purchasing Skoda Yeti) SushilBajpai Indian Car Dealerships 10 28th February 2012 16:12
Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner dkaile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 12th August 2011 22:20
Skoda plans to bring Yeti to life in India! dadu The Indian Car Scene 150 13th April 2010 06:35
Skoda Yeti Stratos The International Automotive Scene 6 28th February 2005 23:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:25.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks