Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread

Old 3rd July 2012, 15:38   #436
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Yeti vs Toyota Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The Yeti would be a big pick if they could remove the round fog lamps and use the laura/superb fog lamps instead. This would make the front side appear better. It's a very capable vehicle.

I have booked a Laura L & K, but still confused on whether or not I should go for Superb AT Petol.
Yes, the fog lamps are quite quirky in their position, but I can tell you that they are very good in light throw and very effective at night! Also, the cornering function helps illuminate the bend better when you turn.
Congrats on the L&K booking. If you plan to self drive it, the Laura is a better choice, and with Diesel. If you plan to be chauffeur driven and fuel cost is no concern, the Superb is a great choice!
Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 16:12   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Incidentally, the Thread owner (Nitinbose) bought a Fortuner 6 months back. Then after 6 months of use (present day -30 days?) sold it!
My bad, but thats too quick an event within a year of purchase of an expensive SUV (to me atleast) and selling it after such a short tenure of usage !!
Well, thats a good decision IMHO some people would painfully drive these butch machines given the fact that some of these do not quite offer much for the price and might they come with...

Now that nitin is looking for a Laura L&K or a Superb, so that means no more an SUV and no more apprehensions on Skoda. Will be quite looking forward to your decision, you're one of the few who tasted Toyota and moving away from it for Skoda
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:36   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
I have booked a Laura L & K, but still confused on whether or not I should go for Superb AT Petol.
My suggestion is to stick with the Laura L&K booking. If you really need the big Superb, then better go with the MT (Skoda is yet to come up with a convincing fix for the 7AT DSG issues being reported).
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:39   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga
I would feel safer driving on UP/Delhi roads in a Fortuner than in a Yeti (or a Superb) any day...
Relax a mahout with elephant would sure be given way, but that does not means I would want to buy the elephant as my next ride. T. Fort is a great Vehicle, its sibling is sold in US as Forerunner, I bought RAV4 over this, just because later served my requirement much efficiently than 4runner.

Hey !

Thats a funny one about the elephant and a mahout! Made me laugh out loud that did!

Ref safety, yes I agree that sheer size doesnt mean safe. However, what the boys are debating about is whether or not the sheer size and type of vehicle, in this developing market, still acts as a deterrent or not. Truth be told, Might certainly is Right here in India as of this moment. Things hopefully will evolve beyond the 'my car is bigger than yours and hence I am more important than you' sort of schoolyard bullyboy tactics, but my surmise is that it will take some more time and with significant amounts of maturity to come.

To me, in an urban environment, the Yeti type crossovers are absolutely perfect. However, the Fortuner is a pretty impressive vehicle on the highways and people do tend to jump put of its way etc. Unfortunately, to me, it is also quite a crude vehicle in comparison to the Yeti type vehicles and that simply doesn't cut it as far as I am concerned, along with its price tag of nearly 8 lacs more!

That 4Runner and Pathfinder etc do not stick out like sore thumbs in countries like the US and Australia. They do look like lumbering monsters in the small towns of the UK and Europe though, because the roads there are much narrower.

Here in India yes we have a huge country but the roads are narrow as well as crowded and hence, to me these big vehicles are more of a pain than a pleasure to own and use on a daily basis!

This is why, like you with your RAV4, I find the Yeti serves my requirements far more efficiently with significant ease of use thrown in!

Old 3rd July 2012, 19:05   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan

Hey !

Thats a funny one about the elephant and a mahout! Made me laugh out loud that did!

Ref safety, yes I agree that sheer size doesnt mean safe. However, what the boys are debating about is whether or not the sheer size and type of vehicle, in this developing market, still acts as a deterrent or not. Truth be told, Might certainly is Right here in India as of this moment. Things hopefully will evolve beyond the 'my car is bigger than yours and hence I am more important than you' sort of schoolyard bullyboy tactics, but my surmise is that it will take some more time and with significant amounts of maturity to come.

To me, in an urban environment, the Yeti type crossovers are absolutely perfect. However, the Fortuner is a pretty impressive vehicle on the highways and people do tend to jump put of its way etc. Unfortunately, to me, it is also quite a crude vehicle in comparison to the Yeti type vehicles and that simply doesn't cut it as far as I am concerned, along with its price tag of nearly 8 lacs more!

That 4Runner and Pathfinder etc do not stick out like sore thumbs in countries like the US and Australia. They do look like lumbering monsters in the small towns of the UK and Europe though, because the roads there are much narrower.

Here in India yes we have a huge country but the roads are narrow as well as crowded and hence, to me these big vehicles are more of a pain than a pleasure to own and use on a daily basis!

This is why, like you with your RAV4, I find the Yeti serves my requirements far more efficiently with significant ease of use thrown in!

I agree with you on that sir. Like I said bottom line is what I Need the ride for. And if my purpose is served. At the same time all of us should be able to make educated decision. My near neighbours, two of them in fact have T. Fort. They have drivers ( yes they sit on back of T. Fort) have family of 5 and for two years or so that I have seen T. Fort with them I haven't seen them take out their car for overnight ( means they do not leave NCR), now they must have their own reasons, desires to own such beast of vehicles and everyone is entitled to fulfil their desires. But that doesn't mean their decision was an educated one.

I shall go OT here and sight my own example, I needed a sedan for my daily commute @40 Kms or so. Plus some trips chauffeur driven to UP, Rajasthan. Had a budget of 13-14 lakhs. Needed no nonsense drive. Chose corolla altis, over safari, Scorpio, innova, civic, Laura. To me it was educated decision.
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:19   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga

I agree with you on that sir. Like I said bottom line is what I Need the ride for. And if my purpose is served. At the same time all of us should be able to make educated decision. My near neighbours, two of them in fact have T. Fort. They have drivers ( yes they sit on back of T. Fort) have family of 5 and for two years or so that I have seen T. Fort with them I haven't seen them take out their car for overnight ( means they do not leave NCR), now they must have their own reasons, desires to own such beast of vehicles and everyone is entitled to fulfil their desires. But that doesn't mean their decision was an educated one.

I shall go OT here and sight my own example, I needed a sedan for my daily commute @40 Kms or so. Plus some trips chauffeur driven to UP, Rajasthan. Had a budget of 13-14 lakhs. Needed no nonsense drive. Chose corolla altis, over safari, Scorpio, innova, civic, Laura. To me it was educated decision.
Pal. Please drop all this Sir stuff first.

Next. Yes, to each individual, his/ her decision typically would be based on his/ her needs and hence, an educated one.
However, the fact remains that we are yet developing as a people and so are our attitudes. Time will come when people realize there is more to life than sheer size and that Might is not necessarily Right! But that takes maturity which will come with time.

More highly developed societies than ours are going for more pedestrian friendly, softer edged vehicles.
Here, as of now a large proportion of vehicle owners or drivers appear to be out to bully, intimidate,squash, kill and maim. Might is apparently Right. We are one of the few countries in the world where pedestrians do not have rights at all.

Greater social responsibility and greater civilized behaviour etc comes with evolution and right now I think the primary concern of most people out there is to make money quick and eat first, before thinking of the finer things of life!
Old 3rd July 2012, 20:38   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
The Yeti would be a big pick if they could remove the round fog lamps and use the laura/superb fog lamps instead. This would make the front side appear better.
These big fog lamps are required on a XUV/SUV, is'nt it. It is there to service a purpose, i suppose

Regardless, these big fog lights are a big boon driving in the dark and difficult conditions like Rain.

Agreed the looks might be less than perect for a few.
Old 4th July 2012, 06:18   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose
ited choice of SUVs in that range. The Yeti would be a big pick if they could remove the round fog lamps and use the laura/superb fog lamps instead. This would make the front side appear better. It's a very capable vehicle.

People in India have a belief that bigger cars or anything big is always the best! I do recall a scene in a computer shop, some 12 years ago, where a father and a son were purchasing a computer and were showcased a 17 inch monitor. The father exclaimed and said, "So everything would come fast, right"?
The quirky looks of the Yeti are always a matter of taste. They provoke extreme reactions. Many people hate it. I am one of those who loves it.

Yes, in India everything is all about size - the bigger the better!

Shades of siege mentality where there was never enough to go around for our super size families and hence one had to buy super quantities and then hoard them? Years of deprivation? God knows!
Old 4th July 2012, 09:10   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hey !

A very valid point. When ever I get tempted to upgrade from Getz to a Sedan (mainly for highway use) I remind myself of the roads here and the convenience that a small car offers. My usage of City - Highway is 80 - 20%. I do miss a bigger vehicle sometimes, but I cannot maintain two vehicles and it does not justify my current running.
Old 4th July 2012, 09:36   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not necessarily! Actually my wife finds the Yeti's small size very convenient and she is able to park it very easily in the tight parking in her office in Nehru place. The Laura does not fit in the same space as it is almost a foot longer and protrudes out! She prefers to take only the Yeti to her office due to this.

Surprisingly most of the parkings here in Gurgaon in offices and malls are really small - seems like they were designed only with hatchbacks in mind!
This is where the Yeti excels and can fit in easily. If I had a Fortuner, I would probably be searching to find two adjacent slots free to park it, which is not easily available in most places!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 4th July 2012, 10:20   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The quirky looks of the Yeti are always a matter of taste. They provoke extreme reactions. Many people hate it. I am one of those who loves it.
The Yeti is one of the funkiest looking vehicles I ve seen. And yes, those round foglamps are a boon on dark roads.

Quote:
Unfortunately, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Surprisingly most of the parkings here in Gurgaon in offices and malls are really small - seems like they were designed only with hatchbacks in mind!
Why is this? My other NCR friends too complain of the same problem. I felt that parking slots are now internationally standardized.
Old 4th July 2012, 10:24   #447
Senior - BHPian

A Fortuner owner's perspective:

First, not much point in comparing a Yeti with a Fortuner if you do enough soul searching beforehand. I feel that Nitin didn't do enough of that, which was apparent while reading his posts. If you have mapped out your usage pattern and wants/needs, then it is very apparent what type of vehicle will be most suitable.

Second, a Fortuner is great for highways, no-roads, unknown places, night driving. And people do give you some respect. Recently I was able to drive fast on a narrow highway frequented by mining trucks. They promptly gave way to me when they saw my flashing lights. Maybe they are courteous by mature :-)...or maybe the road presence helped.

The only thing I don't like is the attention it attracts everywhere. I sometimes like to enjoy local flavour anonymously, and the presence of the vehicle makes it somewhat difficult to fit in.

Also, India is what it is. Things will take some time to change. Bigger has always been better throughout the ages for people who could afford, and preference for compactness is a recent urban phenomenon. Other countries have gone through the cycle earlier, so their situation is different.

Personally speaking (with no disrespect to Yeti fans - since their usage/want basket/tastes are different), I find the Yeti too much of a metrosexual vehicle for my taste.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 4th July 2012 at 10:37.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 10:34   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Second, a Fortuner is great for highways, no-roads, unknown places, night driving. And people do give you some respect.
+1 to that.
My only grouse is the lack of in cabin features, some, as basic as insulation from wind noise, the bouncy suspension and the overall "MUV" feel compared to "SUV" feel when driving it, and, worst of all, the stratospheric price that Toyota is selling it at, these days.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 10:50   #449
Team-BHP Support

Note from Moderator: Now that both the cars have been discussed extensively here spread across 30 pages for more than a year, there is enough information for the OP to decide between these SUV's with contrasting set of USPs. Closing the thread. Thanks

Please report this post with a request to re-open this thread if you have a car buying requirement and you want to continue the discussion between these 2 specific 4X4s with points that might have been missed here.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th July 2012 at 10:52.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread