Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 16th February 2006, 20:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Spot on Steeroid - I have briefly experienced a Safari and will vouch for that. Its like a house And 423K Kms!!! I cannot get over that. The way its usually made to sound, one might assume that means 4/5 engine overhauls and the car being used more by the mechs than the owner. Yet the verdict was 'quite happy tho underpowered'. I'm beginning to wonder if a used Safari is that bad a buy, esp given that they come cheap!
zenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 02:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Your uncle drives off the tarmac and covers long distances so Rule out softroaders.

Hyundai is a soft Roader plus plus such high mileage on a hyundai would still be a doubt.Hyndai tucson is the todays Soft-roader. Built for a family that hardly drives of the tarmac. Exteriors and interiors looks good. the engine is again powerful too but a bit low on refinement. IS a completely different product than Endeavour

Tata safari:- you have already owned one so you know a lot. DOnt buy again if you have had it for such long. Otherwise Superb car with best comfort and space. Its obese and the weight has its bearing on the engine. Occasional niggles here and there is a tata trademark.

mitsubishi Outlander:- Currently the largest selling Soft Roader in Japan against the CR-V and RAV4 this car has helped Mitsubishi post operating profit after a long time. Such a feat certainly proves the car to be an able performer. Not yet out but beware! HM is known to play havoc with good cars. Stay away though as this again is a softroader

FOrd endeavour would be the SUV to buy if tackling the rough surfaces necessary. THe exteriors are mindblowing but interiors just about functional. PRetty potent and good handler but heavy and underpowered. Compared to safari the luxurious interiors and comfort would be a drawback but image and Off road capability will be a plus.

mahindra scorpio with the new Crdi powerplant, Lotus designed susupension and new NVH levels at the excellent price is also robust and macho looking. Will save you lots of money to buy another car or make modifications. Not really a offroader but mahindras experience with the MM jeeps works magic here.

MItsubishi montero/pajero:- Another good car that has seen a huge price cut once and is again uner the scissors. Able offroader with a comfy cabin. looks good but dated a bit. IF HM brings out the latest version then it has the potential to be the market leader in its class. ANd yes HM please dont cut the power. WIll certainly have a diesel heart.

Ford Endeavour,mahindra scorpio and mitsubishi montero/pajero are the three options that will suit your uncle. Depends on which car he likes, comfort levels, his driving style and dealership experience where he lives.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 09:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx
Spot on Steeroid - I have briefly experienced a Safari and will vouch for that. Its like a house And 423K Kms!!! I cannot get over that. The way its usually made to sound, one might assume that means 4/5 engine overhauls and the car being used more by the mechs than the owner. Yet the verdict was 'quite happy tho underpowered'. I'm beginning to wonder if a used Safari is that bad a buy, esp given that they come cheap!
second you on that zenx...a more viable alternative to going for a used safari would be to transplant a scorpio's engine and gearbox in it and you have the go to match with the show.

read about this transplant costing 90 K in another thread here
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
Can help you get a scorpio (regular) engine + gearbox (used) from Chennai for about 90K
linky

Last edited by adityapd : 17th February 2006 at 09:36.
adityapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 09:46   #34
BHPian

Anyone heard on GM'S CAPTIVA!!
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 09:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

@californiaKnight... r u sure 423 k's kms in 5 years! It equates to about 231 kms daily including sat and sunday's.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 10:00   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Your uncle drives off the tarmac and covers long distances so Rule out softroaders.

Hyundai is a soft Roader plus plus such high mileage on a hyundai would still be a doubt.Hyndai tucson is the todays Soft-roader. Built for a family that hardly drives of the tarmac. Exteriors and interiors looks good. the engine is again powerful too but a bit low on refinement. IS a completely different product than Endeavour

Tata safari:- you have already owned one so you know a lot. DOnt buy again if you have had it for such long. Otherwise Superb car with best comfort and space. Its obese and the weight has its bearing on the engine. Occasional niggles here and there is a tata trademark.

mitsubishi Outlander:- Currently the largest selling Soft Roader in Japan against the CR-V and RAV4 this car has helped Mitsubishi post operating profit after a long time. Such a feat certainly proves the car to be an able performer. Not yet out but beware! HM is known to play havoc with good cars. Stay away though as this again is a softroader

FOrd endeavour would be the SUV to buy if tackling the rough surfaces necessary. THe exteriors are mindblowing but interiors just about functional. PRetty potent and good handler but heavy and underpowered. Compared to safari the luxurious interiors and comfort would be a drawback but image and Off road capability will be a plus.

mahindra scorpio with the new Crdi powerplant, Lotus designed susupension and new NVH levels at the excellent price is also robust and macho looking. Will save you lots of money to buy another car or make modifications. Not really a offroader but mahindras experience with the MM jeeps works magic here.

MItsubishi montero/pajero:- Another good car that has seen a huge price cut once and is again uner the scissors. Able offroader with a comfy cabin. looks good but dated a bit. IF HM brings out the latest version then it has the potential to be the market leader in its class. ANd yes HM please dont cut the power. WIll certainly have a diesel heart.

Ford Endeavour,mahindra scorpio and mitsubishi montero/pajero are the three options that will suit your uncle. Depends on which car he likes, comfort levels, his driving style and dealership experience where he lives.
I agree with devarishi here, soft-roaders like the CRV are not for your uncle.. On the contrary, your uncle might just want to go for a pickup truck.. Alas, there are not many options in India.. But watch out for that segment in India..
man23ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 10:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure you are talking about the Tucson and not the CRV - perhaps you got them mixed up

Tucson is not a soft-roader, even though it is pitted against the CRV, which is a soft-roader. It has very good off-roading capabilities as well, with its huge ground clearance, powerful engine and 4x4 drive. Perhaps not in the league of Landcruiser or Landrover, but better than the Endeavour.
Even ACI and TG agree to that in their reviews.

For a first-hand experience, ask insane_devil - guess he bought one of the first tucsons.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 11:56   #38
BHPian

The Tucson is definitely an off-roader... We've got a construction company in Pune... My Dad is required to go to places where sedans like the Laura definitely can't go. The Tucson's got an amazing engine even though people say it needs some refinement. The four wheel drive works wonders! My car once climbed a 55 degree offroad slope with pretty ease. And the pickup is too good for an SUV though it might be a little slow in the first gear, but once you switch to second and on you'll be amazed. And plus its got an amazing road presence, people wonder which car is coming towards them at night withe amazing wide body! It gives mileage of around 14 in city but dunno on the Highway. If you've got anymore questions or doubts you can PM me. Here's some pics...

Last edited by torqueunlimited : 17th February 2006 at 12:08.
torqueunlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 12:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very objective review Devarshi, good job!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 12:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
Are you sure you are talking about the Tucson and not the CRV - perhaps you got them mixed up

Tucson is not a soft-roader, even though it is pitted against the CRV, which is a soft-roader. It has very good off-roading capabilities as well, with its huge ground clearance, powerful engine and 4x4 drive. Perhaps not in the league of Landcruiser or Landrover, but better than the Endeavour.

For a first-hand experience, ask insane_devil - guess he bought one of the first tucsons.
Goldie, disagree on that one! Read last July's (??, gotta check out at home) BS Motoring issue on their Annual Slush Fest - they take SUVs and put them through tarmac and some serious off-roading including through MUD & SLUSH at its worst. Last year they pitted the X-Trail, Endeavour & Tucson and guess who came last overall?? No surprises, it was the Tucson because it couldn't do much off-tarmac; the X-Trail was, of course, the winner but was way way more expensive. The Endeavour was actually their choice as the trusted work-horse.

I will confirm the month but I think it was July.

The Tucson may be today's SUV in terms of being a soft-roader, I agree with that; but as a serious mud-plugging beast like the Endeavour, well haven't read too many positive reviews on that count! If only they put in a CRDI in the Endy and did something about rear seat comfort.....we'd have had a sure winner on all fronts.

Last edited by suman : 17th February 2006 at 12:50.
Old 17th February 2006, 12:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueunlimited
The Tucson is definitely an off-roader... We've got a construction company in Pune... My Dad is required to go to places where sedans like the Laura definitely can't go.
You should compare apples to apples beacuse a SUV is supposed to go places where a sedan cannot, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best SUV .

In terms of road presence, no one can beat the Endeavour at the moment, in fact, sheer road presence & good off-roading capabilities is all it has at the moment.

Not for a minute taking away from you the thrill you must be feeling with your Tucson !
Old 17th February 2006, 13:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra

Tucson is not a SUV but a softroader. A softroader is supposed to be a recreational vehicle built on a car chassis. Tucson is one such vehicle. Its good off road too but cant match the real SUV's

The real SUV's would be

Ford endeavour
mitsubishi pajero/Montero
mahindra scorpio( Is actually an MUV but much more capable for those rural areas)
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 14:51   #43
BHPian

Okay, now it seems the tug is between the TUCSON and the ENDEAVOUR .
How good is the ride comfort in the ENDEAVOUR compared to the TUCSON, or is TUCSON better. I know the TUCSON engine is definitely a gem. but is ENDEAVOUR so bad?? will the ENDEAVOUR engine match up with the DICOR engine?? confusion continues....
The requiirements are now put this way...
1. Road Presence - because, extensive travelling done.
2. Space - the more the better.
3. Performance - required but not too much, 'cause its chauffer driven 95% of the time.
4. Solid and well built.
5. Service centres should also be within reach.

P.S: Does the ENDEAVOUR have a CRDI engine??
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2006, 15:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight
P.S: Does the ENDEAVOUR have a CRDI engine??
Nope, not yet, am desperately hoping they get one but latest feedback from Ford hasn't been too encouraging.....spoke to someone in the regional Office a month ago when I was following up on my Fiesta delivery and while he acknowledged that they are committed to keep bringing about gradual improvements to the Endeavour engine over the course of the next year or so, he was not sure about CRDI, so......still a pipe dream.

Given the criteria mentioned by you, to me it looks like the Endeavour any day! And, by the way, heard about Endeavour mileage from a recent owner - getting around 11 kmpl in average city conditions. To me, thats pretty good though I would say it would reduce by about 1-1.5kmpl when the summer sets in soon but thats still way better than what I've heard earlier about the Endeavour.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 17th February 2006, 15:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How good is the ride comfort in the ENDEAVOUR compared to the TUCSON, or is TUCSON better.
Trust me, Cali - the Endeavour ride sux. Big time. Take a test ride and find out for yourself. Go over moderately bad roads and sit in the rear.

Quote:
will the ENDEAVOUR engine match up with the DICOR engine??
Engine characteristics are different...the Dicor produces more power and torque, but it shouldnt be driven "pedal to metal". I'm not sure how to describe it, but suffice to say that driven the right way the Dicor can deliver more fun.

However, you're not looking at the Safari since you want a new experience.

Quote:
The requiirements are now put this way...
1. Road Presence - because, extensive travelling done.
PRESENCE = Endeavour. COMFORT = Dicor
2. Space - the more the better.
All out space = Dicor / Terracan. The Ford's 3rd row is cosmetic and reduces luggage space drastically (unles taken out), while the Tucson makes intelligent use of available space to seat 5 people in good comfort with adequate luggage space
3. Performance - required but not too much, 'cause its chauffer driven 95% of the time.
There is no such thing as TOO MUCH performance. If you want performance the Tucson is what you should be looking at.
4. Solid and well built.
Tucson. Some people might think otherwise, but Hyundai vehicles are extremely well built.
5. Service centres should also be within reach.
Tata and Hyundai have service centres everywhere. Ford isnt too far behind but service can be expensive, especially for high-end vehicles
Finally, if you're not in a hurry (you've already done 423 k in the Safari, so whats a few 10k more?) you could wait to see what Mitsubishi has to offer.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote