Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 6th September 2011, 12:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scorpio SLE- final shorlist after much consternation- wise move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Raj, no guards for me whatsoever. I quite like the front end design of the Refresh, though am not too hot on the rear. I like to keep my cars stock, but will certainly go for alloys some time down the line (maybe smoked black/matt silver combo ones) and will get tints before the delhi summer kicks in.
Thats good to hear!

Also, I was going to tell you - please dont go for chrome alloys... its too passe now!

Quote:
On teh tyres, teh SA informed me that all SLEs are now being shiped only with JKs. but he will try to get BS for me, but i am not too optimistic. Apparently BS come only on VLX now. BTW, the VLX now comes with a new alloy design that is much better than the earlier one.....
I somehow liked the older design more. the new one looks plain jane IMHO.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 12:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I have seen some new SLEs with MRF Wanderers and Apollo Hawkz too. Ask the SA if he can manage them at least. JKs are pathetic man; I am just waiting for my Scorp to complete at least 40k kms so that I can change them after that.

Cheers,
Vikram
Hey Vikram, can you pls shed some more light on your JK experience? is the concern lack of grip, Tyre noise or are they prone to punctures? I have JK Vectras on my SX4 and apart from Tyre noise at 120 plus speeds, tehy are doing fairly OK.

If I do get my Scorp with JKs I may swap them up front for Michilens (when doing an upgrade, might as well go the whole nine yards )
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 12:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Vikram, can you pls shed some more light on your JK experience? is the concern lack of grip, Tyre noise or are they prone to punctures? I have JK Vectras on my SX4 and apart from Tyre noise at 120 plus speeds, tehy are doing fairly OK.
I have JK Elanzo's 245/70 R16 on my DJ Mobile. Apart from slight tyre noise and traction on slush, they are pretty ok. Apollo Hawkz is also decent!

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 12:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If I do get my Scorp with JKs I may swap them up front for Michilens (when doing an upgrade, might as well go the whole nine yards )
My gripes against the JKs are mainly the noise levels during highways drives [above 70-80 kmph] and grip in wet conditions. That's not to say that the grip on dry tarmac is fantastic, but in wet conditions, it's downright scary, IMO. Also, the feedback from some of the technicians at the ASC that I go to is that the JKs contribute to a firmer ride quality [compared to a VLX with Bridgestone Duellers].

The only positives are no punctures in 28k kms yet [touchwood!], and with a 10k kms alignment/balancing/rotation schedule, they still have quite a bit of life left in them [at least 15k by my amateur judgment].

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 6th September 2011 at 12:45.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 12:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

himanshu considering the fact that you are hooked onto the scorpio now, please note this vehicle has its own share of niggles.
  • The mundane power window's mood swings
  • the occasional creaky noise from the last row of seats
  • the Odo's plastic panel vibrating et all.
However keep these aside it's one heck of a 2.2 power mil to drive around.

I have fairly driven the Dicor 2.2 also, comfort wise the Dicor scores over the Scorp'. The 2nd row seats of the Dicor is any-day better than the Mhawk. Heck who cares about the middle row when you are the one driving . I love the stance and the space the Dicor has, miles ahead of the scorp. I don't want to be biased here, but each vehicle has its own share of niggles.
Check the under thigh support of both the vehicles and you will know what I am talking about.

Getting the BS duelers should be a fairly easy job man. Ask the sales guy to swap them for you while doing the PDI. Good luck and drive safe.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 13:00   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
[*]The mundane power window's mood swings[*]the occasional creaky noise from the last row of seats[*]the Odo's plastic panel vibrating et all.[/list]However keep these aside it's one heck of a 2.2 power mil to drive around.
I ve never encountered the niggles mentioned by Rjiu and even after 4 years of use, Hariya's power windows have not gone bust, even once. No noise, no reduction in speed, no faults at all.

My center console rattles very lightly, in fact too lightly for me to notice.

The only issue that I have with Hariya is the slight lack of interior space in the middle row, but nothing which troubles me or my occupants.

I too was a big fan of the Safari's ergonomics and space but looking at its overall reliability figures and the F&F of the interiors, I chose the Scorp and have enjoyed every km driven since then.

Last edited by n.devdath : 6th September 2011 at 13:02.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 14:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Srikanth, one of the reasons to go in for the Scorp was after I saw your Scorp and it looked menacing in Black. I am yet to see a better maintained Srorp than yours
Hi Brajesh,

Thanks for the compliment and I too still miss my Ikon 1.6 driving characteristics.

Happy Motoring!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 15:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I somehow liked the older design more. the new one looks plain jane IMHO.
Though alloys look nice they don't do justice a macho suv like Scorpio. M&M should have continued with the old design IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
  • The mundane power window's mood swings
  • the occasional creaky noise from the last row of seats
  • the Odo's plastic panel vibrating et all.
Even my cousin's Scorpio, though not old(1.5yrs) but has covered 60k kms nonetheless. It has no PW problems at all. No dashboard/Odo panel or any other creaks. So it's not a necessary problem.
Enjoy your Scorpio to the fullest.
ashis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 18:19   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
the M&M vehicles have lovely engines there is no doubt. they are pretty reliable too.

I am deeply concerned about the consistently bouncy ride and suspension and its ability to brake and stop in adverse conditions. Its top heavy, high bodied nature is another big deterrent in terms of handling over pot holes, bumps and other irritants.
Indeed, 3 years and 5 months into Scorpio ownership I am told I might be tending towards spondylitis on account of the constant bouncing about - and I always sit in the driving seat!! The passengers at the rear suffer the worst in this vehicle. No peace at all, being rattled about like dice when the vehicle is at speed and one comes upon sudden bad stretches. It shivers, skitters and shifts when going over rumble strips and such!
Plus even in the top versions with alloys etc the wheels are designed to sit quite considerably within the wheel arches and body structure which tends to pronounce the body roll.
I am also unable to bring myself to trust the quality and execution of the heavily electronics loaded versions because somehow I feel these are the first things that will go boom!
Having considered all this - the only version of the Scorpio that makes sense financially is the mechanical version. But I really wish they would give it to consumers with the options of atleast the safety features like airbags and ABS. They really should introduce disc brakes at the rear too to improve its stopping power.
I find the top end 4WD (MT and AT) versions considerably over priced at 14 -15.6 lacs on road. They should be more realistic in their pricing given what they offer. Their fit and finish overall needs a lot of work even now, to be worth it!

But for the most part 2WD is enough and costs about 14 for the top end VLX.

The vehicle is capable of taking tremendous abuse and hard usage - overall decent value, relatively inexpensive to run and maintain and a reliable, no frills workhorse.

Personally though, Ive had my fill of the Scorpio and would not consider buying another one to replace the current one whenever Im ready to upgrade/ change. I would certainly want a better handling, more modern and ergonomically designed, well finished machine, which the Scorpio is not!
+1 to this, mate! I agree completely to this based on my experience. Though limited to only test drives (2 of them). This was the machine I wanted, but sadly, I had no option but to drop it. When I went with my family, they screamed at me, and I had to stop the drive mid way! Passenger comfort is non existent, so if its for two, and for the fun of driving, then this is the machine to go for (at this price point)!

I've also heard that people get used to the rock and roll after some time! Have a friend with SLE mhawk, and he (& wifey) has got used to this. So, if there is no one with aching bodies, then no issues with Scorpio!
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 21:44   #55
BHPian

My 2 cents.

Have owned a Scorpio SLE since Oct 2009. Mileage so far - 35000 km.

Issues / niggles / hassles - NIL.

Complete satisfaction so far.

If you are looking to buy an SUV only, would highly recommend it.
nvldvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 02:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

I got MRF Wanderers with my Scorpio and they nowadays don't give Bridgestone Duellers at all with SLE. No complaints at all till now from the tyres. The grip is pretty good be it dry or wet. Infact tried quite a few high speed braking and everytime it stops in a straight line. Although I initially had an issue of car veering towards left while braking hard but that was solved very quickly and now no more issue with braking. No rattle/power window issue etc. till now.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 06:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

People generally start expecting a sedan like behavior on CnC SUV and that is the issue. Even for me it happened the same when I decided to migrate from sedan to Scorpio. Of course, leaf spring rides are bouncy and uncomfortable. The Lotus suspension work has good difference, for sure!

We in India are anyway a compromised lot when it comes to cars :-)
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 06:38   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Of course, leaf spring rides are bouncy and uncomfortable. The Lotus suspension work has good difference, for sure!
So from when do the scorpios come with the lotus suspension work?. I recently travelled in my Boss's scorp which was bought about 2 years back and did not feel comfortable even for a short distance.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 06:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

they ve been suspension tuned by Lotus since around 2006 onwards when they started coming with the independent multi link suspension at the rear.
Mine is a 2008 model and like you said, I cannot see the positive impact of this tuning. (I shudder to think how it would have been if it hadnt been tuned by Lotus though)
I do understand that the newer ones - 2.2 Mhawks of 2009-2010-2011 vintage, are better in terms of handling but I have not been able to discern all that much difference between my 2008 model and these.
Hence my thoughts are running in the direction of change as Im beginning to get hassled by the "bounce factor" even though I very rarely sit at the back. The vehicle is inherently top heavy and tall and this does affect its handling and comfort. It is not a point and shoot machine - one does have to wrestle the wheel around bends which in turn causes bounce at the rear and in the front passenger seat.
Additionally, the soft suspension setup at the back coupled with the fact that it is a ladder frame chassis, does cause further skitter and bounce while going over speed breakers, ruts, rumble strips, potholes and the generally uneven surfaces of our roads.
Having said all of this, it is still a very tough vehicle, capable of taking tremendous abuse. Overall a very good VFM option if a hard riding ute is what one wants.
Possibly I am getting a bit older and more evolved and consequently my expectations are changing, which is why I want a better handling, monocoque, car like SUV now for greater comfort in my daily drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
So from when do the scorpios come with the lotus suspension work?. I recently travelled in my Boss's scorp which was bought about 2 years back and did not feel comfortable even for a short distance.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 08:22   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I ve never encountered the niggles mentioned by Rjiu and even after 4 years of use, Hariya's power windows have not gone bust, even once. No noise, no reduction in speed, no faults at all.

My center console rattles very lightly, in fact too lightly for me to notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Even my cousin's Scorpio, though not old(1.5yrs) but has covered 60k kms nonetheless. It has no PW problems at all. No dashboard/Odo panel or any other creaks. So it's not a necessary problem.
Enjoy your Scorpio to the fullest.
These are minor niggles and don't qualify to make the Scorp' a lemon .The only issue I had was with the power windows which had its own share of mood swings other than this there has been no problems so far in my 2 years of ownership. Touche !!
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote