Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 9th September 2011, 20:33   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Scorpio SLE- final shorlist after much consternation- wise move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
The Scorpio is still the best entry level SUV and we have a lot of members who still swear by it. I doubt if you,MC and Getsurya would ever buy a sedan.
Brajesh Bhai, I would love to have a sedan. That's why I still the Uno to tend to my early morning, empty road,corner hugging antiques. But my wanderlust and go anywhere nature doesn't allow me to buy a sedan in India. As a matter of fact, I had taken taken my Uno inside Panna National Park only because it had a engine protection plate. I have driven my Jaguar as tight and powerful hatchback over twisties in the UK/Europe and absolutely love them.

But we live in India. Who are we kidding!

P.S: Himanshu Bhai, i again recommend buying the Getaway. It s not that bouncy as the Scorp. Drive it while you are here. Am sure you'll change your mind.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 9th September 2011 at 20:34.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 22:16   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Himanshu, don't worry too much on the ride of the Scorpio. It certainly is not sofa like which the Safari has but is not unacceptable either else the Scorpio would not have outsold the Safari consistently all the time. Which dealer have you chosen to buy it from?

The captain seat version, if that is what you are going for, is the most comfortable variant of the Scorpio in terms of interior space.
@devdath:

Scorpio's success has more to do with Tata's lack of focus than on being a better platform. Tata is busy churing out Taxi Indicas that the ignored the Safari for the longest time. Mahindra on the other hand kept upgrading and updating the scorpio every other year or so. Until the 3.0 Dicor was launched Safari came with a wheesy 2.0 Liter 90 bhp IDI engine. Basically their flagship SUV couldn't keep up with the Sumo Victa.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 23:41   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
As regards teh ride of the Scorpio, I agree that it is a tad more unsettled over the Safari, but I will primarily be driving in Delhi and the highways of north India, which are generally super smooth roads, so that kind of settles things for me.

So like I said, unles TML launches the Merlin at a starting point of around 10 L in the next three weeks, I have pretty much finalised on the Scorpio SLE ..... wheter good or bad only time will tell
Yes, scorpio may be bumpy compared to Safari. But it is not all that bad either. The new versions are more refined than what was three years back. I dont think you will regret once you start driving.

Quote:
The captain seat version, if that is what you are going for, is the most comfortable variant of the Scorpio in terms of interior space.

Just have faith in your decision and go for it. You will like it.
Spot on, Devdath. Go for captains seat. But this has to be custom made by M&M and there may be delay in delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
I liked the Scorpio for its MHawk engine only. Very refined and powerful but atleast for me the vehicle was never a pleasure to drive in the city or the highway, specially the NH9 and state highway types. Hyderabad/Balgalore NH7,which is a part of the GQ was still manageable.

The Scorpio is still the best entry level SUV and we have a lot of members who still swear by it. I doubt if you,MC and Getsurya would ever buy a sedan.
Some good words atlast. I have been a sedan guy throughout having driven Esteem, Ikon, Honda city (automatic) and Fiesta and loved them all. I too was apprehensive when i decided on Scorpio after lot of homework. I find this is the SUV highly suited for city driving. I am telling this after driving for last ten months in "humped" city, Bangalore!! On highways, it just cruises. The engine is fabulous and steering a pleasure.

In the end, it has some drawbacks and has lot of positives as well. Also, one should not compare it with a sedan at all. It is a different experience.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 02:01   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Scorpio's success has more to do with Tata's lack of focus than on being a better platform. Tata is busy churing out Taxi Indicas that the ignored the Safari for the longest time. Mahindra on the other hand kept upgrading and updating the scorpio every other year or so. Until the 3.0 Dicor was launched Safari came with a wheesy 2.0 Liter 90 bhp IDI engine. Basically their flagship SUV couldn't keep up with the Sumo Victa.
This is certainly one of the reasons for its success but what matters to the end consumer is having a successful product from a pro-active manufacturer and that is what the Scorpio has been.

A constantly evolving, reliable, well marketed and supported product by its manufacturer and hence hugely successful.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 11:40   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A constantly evolving, reliable, well marketed and supported product by its manufacturer and hence hugely successful.
I think that sums it up beautifully. Also interesting is the comment on the thread on Carl Peter Foresters resigntion abot TML's attitude to its vendors and cost cutting, that kind of puts things in perspectvie.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 12:18   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Brajesh,

Spot on with your statement! I know the limitations of an SUV Vs Sedan(as I too like the 'leech like grip of sedans' on the roads), however I like the SUV's better. SUV's also has made me an sober driver from what I used to be earlier due to thier limitations.

Himanshu, we should catch up over this weekend on phone.

Good Luck!
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 12:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Brajesh,

Spot on with your statement! I know the limitations of an SUV Vs Sedan(as I too like the 'leech like grip of sedans' on the roads), however I like the SUV's better. SUV's also has made me an sober driver from what I used to be earlier due to thier limitations.

Himanshu, we should catch up over this weekend on phone.

Good Luck!
Sure thing Srikanth- PM me ur no and I will call u
Old 10th September 2011, 13:07   #98
Senior - BHPian

I will not fault the Scorpio on space - especially the rear area with the 2 jump seats removed. it is positively cavernous and can transport most things painlessly.
a few weeks ago we went on a potted plant and plant trough buying spree. all the plants we bought - (around 15), including their troughs and pots fitted beautifully in the rear area.even the taller ones with moss sticks in them had no problem for head room.

The Negatives of the Scorp according to me are;
1. lack of 4WD and essential modern safety kit across variants
2. brakes are not adequate for its power
3. top heavy design with poor handling characteristics - becomes more pronounced over time.
4. very bad quality bouncy ride at the back
5. bad ergonomics which cause back aches and spondylitis etc over prolonged usage.
6. sad fit and finish - poor plastics and interiors overall.
7. the innate design flaw that ensures that water splashes onto the bonnet and windscreen if one goes through mid sized/ large puddles in the monsoon
8. also the innate design flaw where if driven on muddy slushy roads, the inner flange at the rear, which is where the door shuts will definitely get muddy and mucky, thereby posing a danger to clean fresh flowing clothes that we Indians wear sometimes.
9. Too many unnecessary cosmetics and expensively priced electronic gizmos - I would always worry about these because M&M are not electronics experts.
10. Pricing has gone mad of late.

The Positives are:
1. Lovely engine -excellent torque,superb power and enjoyable acceleration/ turbo whine etc
2. tough and capable of taking a tremendous beating- pretty much indestructible in terms of build quality
3. thoroughly reliable like most M&M vehicles are
4. very good utility vehicle- people, pets and luggage mover in terms of available space
5. reasonably fuel efficient for its size and bulk
6. the lower variants are relatively inexpensive to buy, run and maintain in comparison to the rest of the stuff in the market.

In short it sells very well because there is little or no competition for it at its price range given what it offers.
This is why it badly needs a proper challenger or three so that we regular utility joes get some choice at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
lacks space,.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th September 2011 at 13:08.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 16:38   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I will not fault the Scorpio on space - especially the rear area with the 2 jump seats removed.
What I meant was the legroom in the middle row, which some find to be cramped. I think that is because they compare it to the safari & innova.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 16:45   #100
Senior - BHPian

Guys, if all goes well, Monday I will be sending across teh booking amount for a Black Scorpio SLE with Delivery on 6th OCt.......

My friend at ERC has gone blue in the face trying to convince me to arrange for a stop gap arrangement till Jan 2012 and buy the Merlin by extending my budget a bit, but alas, that is not to be. I have other priorities right now (including buying another car in Oct itself for my wife- toss up between Swift and Jazz both in red color) so cant extend my budget beyond 10 L, come what may.

Thank you ALL for your inputs and advise and words of encouragement.....i will keep you updated on the progress of my purchase and hope that this ownership experience is longer and better than what i had with my Safari..... In the meantime, please keep the sugestions and advice coming.....all of it helps

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 10th September 2011 at 16:46.
Old 12th September 2011, 11:08   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, if all goes well, Monday I will be sending across teh booking amount for a Black Scorpio SLE with Delivery on 6th OCt..
Congrats on your decision Himanshu..!!!
I m sure you will have a happy and long ownership with your Scorpio. Eagerly looking forward to your delivery experience and ownership report.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 12:55   #102
Senior - BHPian

Finalised the Deal with Sri Durga Automobiles in Delhi

Final Deal- 10.20 OTR with free EW, teflon coating (with 5 top ups in 4 years) matting and scuff plates.
Old 12th September 2011, 15:56   #103
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buddy. I hope you get the delivery of your black scorpio very fast & you please keep us updated with the delivery process, etc. with lots of pics!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 16:43   #104
Senior - BHPian

one more update

finally closed the deal with Bhasin Motors:

OTR cost of the car 10.09
EW- 10K
free accessories- scuff plates, carpet material mats, car perfume, steering cover.

The dealer associate is on his way to collect the booking amount. Delivery on 6th Oct i reach Delhi on the 5th). One condition I had was that the car should be manufactured in sept. he has a Aug 12 manufactured car in the stockyard (shared the tax invoice and VIN number with me) but i declined simply for the reason that there is sufficient lead time for him to procure a newer piece for me.

So, after much to and fro and deliberations, a Black Scorpio SLE 7 seater it is!
Old 13th September 2011, 12:20   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
one more update

finally closed the deal with Bhasin Motors:

OTR cost of the car 10.09
EW- 10K
free accessories- scuff plates, carpet material mats, car perfume, steering cover.

The dealer associate is on his way to collect the booking amount. Delivery on 6th Oct i reach Delhi on the 5th). One condition I had was that the car should be manufactured in sept. he has a Aug 12 manufactured car in the stockyard (shared the tax invoice and VIN number with me) but i declined simply for the reason that there is sufficient lead time for him to procure a newer piece for me.

So, after much to and fro and deliberations, a Black Scorpio SLE 7 seater it is!

Congrats Himanshu! Looking forward for your ownership thread with loads of pics. Wishing you all the best for the deliery process!
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote