Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


View Poll Results: Brand New Yeti or Well Kept Used Tucson?
Brand New Yeti Elegance 75 71.43%
Very Well Kept Used Hyundai Tucson 30 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2011, 14:04   #181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 192
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
The yeti appeals to the finer sensibilities in one. Little surprise that it remains a niche product in our country.

With her in the driveway, i reckon it will be a hard sleeping indoors
Pricing, my dear sir, pricing.
Why do you thing the likes of us (i.e. me and my ilk, not sure you fall in that ) just admire the Yeti from afar.

I sometimes think, "To hell with it, I can postpone other things and splurge 7 lakhs more on my car." But what use is buying an SUV if you need to cut down on vacations you bought it for in the first place?
chinkara is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 14:40   #182
BHPian
 
Jayant..B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mango Town
Posts: 90
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Is Yeti a CBU? Or is it assembled here?
Jayant..B is offline  
Old 4th December 2011, 15:16   #183
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,890 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant..B View Post
Is Yeti a CBU? Or is it assembled here?
Not a CBU. AFAIK, its a CKD - assembled here.
vb-san is offline  
Old 4th December 2011, 16:41   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

save your bucks for 6-7 months and go and get your dream - thats what I did!

it feels like driving a Laura Station Wagon type thing but one is not required to be too mindful of the bad roads on account of the good GC.
and the Luxe and Comfort inside is worth it. For me it is a different world like I said, to the one I have been lurking in for so long, with a succession of Indian SUVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Pricing, my dear sir, pricing.
Why do you thing the likes of us (i.e. me and my ilk, not sure you fall in that ) just admire the Yeti from afar.

I sometimes think, "To hell with it, I can postpone other things and splurge 7 lakhs more on my car." But what use is buying an SUV if you need to cut down on vacations you bought it for in the first place?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th December 2011 at 16:45.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 4th December 2011, 17:10   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,826
Thanked: 2,386 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Pricing, my dear sir, pricing.
Why do you thing the likes of us (i.e. me and my ilk, not sure you fall in that ) just admire the Yeti from afar.

I sometimes think, "To hell with it, I can postpone other things and splurge 7 lakhs more on my car." But what use is buying an SUV if you need to cut down on vacations you bought it for in the first place?
Save hard and then go for it, as Shankar said. Life is short...
nilanjanray is offline  
Old 4th December 2011, 17:44   #186
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Its a CKD.
the pricing differential between the UK and India for the same spec - 2 litre 140BHP CR 4x4 is not very much. Especially in the current scenario where the GBP is ruling at about 80 Rs.
20615 GBP in UK inclusive of VAT.
21 odd lacs in India inclusive of everything. Take into account the discounts etc and you get nearabout pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant..B View Post
Is Yeti a CBU? Or is it assembled here?
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 4th December 2011, 19:43   #187
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 192
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
save your bucks for 6-7 months and go and get your dream - thats what I did!

it feels like driving a Laura Station Wagon type thing but one is not required to be too mindful of the bad roads on account of the good GC.
and the Luxe and Comfort inside is worth it. For me it is a different world like I said, to the one I have been lurking in for so long, with a succession of Indian SUVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Save hard and then go for it, as Shankar said. Life is short...
Hmmm, only it would take 2-3 years to save 7 L rather than 6-7 months! Else a higher loan which would cut the weekend and travel budget for at least 2-3 years.
And if you want an SUV because of your passion for travelling, does it make sense to cut down on the same to own the SUV. Fundamental existential question. Makes me want to wait for the Duster. Only, the government will increase taxes on diesel vehicles further from March!!!
chinkara is online now  
Old 4th December 2011, 20:02   #188
BHPian
 
SushilBajpai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune/Lasham
Posts: 247
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Hmmm, only it would take 2-3 years to save 7 L rather than 6-7 months! Else a higher loan which would cut the weekend and travel budget for at least 2-3 years.
And if you want an SUV because of your passion for travelling, does it make sense to cut down on the same to own the SUV. Fundamental existential question. Makes me want to wait for the Duster. Only, the government will increase taxes on diesel vehicles further from March!!!
I empathize with you chinkara. Although I bought a Yeti, I still feel its story is a bit like that of Jazz.

Skoda has introduced it at a price point that discourages many. Personally I feel that there should be variants of the car starting at least a couple of lakh lower than the least expensive 2X4 on offer today.

Mahindra have done a good job in introducing XUV 500 at a great VFM. XUV 500 is also not exactly cheap, but look at the response. Sometimes I feel that Skoda lost a great opportunity to establish themselves as segment leader. I am also nearly certain there will be more options available in the coming months.

Last edited by SushilBajpai : 4th December 2011 at 20:04.
SushilBajpai is offline  
Old 4th December 2011, 20:35   #189
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 192
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
I empathize with you chinkara. Although I bought a Yeti, I still feel its story is a bit like that of Jazz.

Skoda has introduced it at a price point that discourages many. Personally I feel that there should be variants of the car starting at least a couple of lakh lower than the least expensive 2X4 on offer today.

Mahindra have done a good job in introducing XUV 500 at a great VFM. XUV 500 is also not exactly cheap, but look at the response. Sometimes I feel that Skoda lost a great opportunity to establish themselves as segment leader. I am also nearly certain there will be more options available in the coming months.
I agree. I have actually taken a TD of XUV. But it will also not be available before April-May, right? And taxes would increase by then.
chinkara is online now  
Old 5th December 2011, 08:02   #190
BHPian
 
Jayant..B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mango Town
Posts: 90
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Is Skoda's online sale handled by Carwale.com?

I enquired about Yeti on Skoda India website, where they claim that they will call the prospective customer in 1 hour. It never happened and I received a call only after 10 days, that too from Carwale. And they dont even know the exact prices and details of the vehicles. I think they just pass on the info to the dealers for further follow-up, coz I receive a sms that I will be contacted by the dealer within a day and even after 4 days, I am still waiting!
Jayant..B is offline  
Old 5th December 2011, 08:24   #191
BHPian
 
SushilBajpai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune/Lasham
Posts: 247
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant..B View Post
Is Skoda's online sale handled by Carwale.com?

I enquired about Yeti on Skoda India website, where they claim that they will call the prospective customer in 1 hour. It never happened and I received a call only after 10 days, that too from Carwale. And they dont even know the exact prices and details of the vehicles. I think they just pass on the info to the dealers for further follow-up, coz I receive a sms that I will be contacted by the dealer within a day and even after 4 days, I am still waiting!
It's best to call the dealer directly. There is definitely a communication gap between Skoda and their dealers. Skoda is unable to even effectively communicate information like firmware updates. The case in point is the firmware update for Yeti, which was released a couple of months back. Asset Auto and Europa (in Pune) were clueless about it. Finally I was able to update the firmware at Autobahn, Mumbai.

Having said that I have noticed this disconnect even with other manufacturers like Volvo and Mercedes. The messages left through website remain poorly attended.
SushilBajpai is offline  
Old 5th December 2011, 09:17   #192
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not a CBU. AFAIK, its a CKD - assembled here.
Yes, The Yeti is a CKD, but as the engine is imported pre-assembled , it now comes under the 30% duty slab, as against the 10% duty slab which was applicable earlier. Almost all manufacturers have borne a major brunt of the government policy change, as they are not yet assembling engines in India yet.
VW group also has plans to start the engine assembly in India by 2012 end, as do many other manufacturers.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now  
Old 5th December 2011, 11:23   #193
BHPian
 
Jayant..B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mango Town
Posts: 90
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
Skoda is unable to even effectively communicate information like firmware updates. The case in point is the firmware update for Yeti, which was released a couple of months back. Asset Auto and Europa (in Pune) were clueless about it. Finally I was able to update the firmware at Autobahn, Mumbai.
Is this firmware update done Free of Cost? How does a customer know if his car needs an update?

How much time does it take?
Jayant..B is offline  
Old 5th December 2011, 11:46   #194
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant..B View Post
Is this firmware update done Free of Cost? How does a customer know if his car needs an update?

How much time does it take?
Yes, it is done Free of Cost. It is done mostly on the customer's request if they are facing problems (such as in my case with the AC tripping). They basically check online with Skoda servers for the latest firmwares for selective controllers (there are 19 on my Yeti Ambiente), and for one controller, it takes around 30 min to update. Out of these the Engine ECU is the main one. In my case, I asked them to check for updates on the Engine ECU and the Climatic controller. The ECU firmware was updated with the latest release, while the other was fine.

Skoda India also gave a CD version of the ECU firmware to all dealers with the advice that when all Yeti's come for service to the workshop, they have to update the software - however as the Yeti's come for service only once a year, most users would not even have gone to the workshop yet.


Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now  
Old 5th December 2011, 19:31   #195
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Some replies below;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant..B View Post
Is this firmware update done Free of Cost? How does a customer know if his car needs an update?
Yes this is correct. It is done free. I was told that they get to know that a particular vehicle requires an update the moment they hook it up to the computer when carrying out the PDI etc. Apparently in the case of my Yeti it was already done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
They basically check online with Skoda servers for the latest firmwares for selective controllers (there are 19 on my Yeti Ambiente), and for one controller, it takes around 30 min to update.
This is interesting information - thanks Behemoth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant..B View Post
Is Skoda's online sale handled by Carwale.com?
Yes I am told Carwale does some online work for Skoda - but personally, when buying such an expensive thing I would much rather pop up to the dealer with my affirmation of purchase, sit across the table and do my negotiating.
shankar.balan is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use of Old car tire, Tire Art! Beautifully done, Must see. SirAlec Shifting gears 2 18th March 2011 22:02
Beautifully cute Red point! (Fiat Punto ) Hrishiz Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 4th April 2010 15:40
Want to see Lamborghini Balanced Beautifully on Tea Cups?? (Literally!!) 1Day The International Automotive Scene 12 30th September 2006 01:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks