Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


View Poll Results: Brand New Yeti or Well Kept Used Tucson?
Brand New Yeti Elegance 75 71.43%
Very Well Kept Used Hyundai Tucson 30 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 16:17   #76
BHPian
 
ssh1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 395
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

The bells and whistles offered by the Yeti are MOUTH-WATERING and unparalleled in its segment! To name just a few, look at the below (taken from the Skoda Yeti brochure available for download Skoda). shankar.balan I'm sure you would have done your research, but posting the below just for other members.

Braking
HHC (Hill Hold Control)
ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
EBD (Electronic Brakeforce Distribution)
HBA (Hydraulic Brake Assistant)
Traction
ASR (Anti Slip Regulation)
TCS (Traction Control System)
EDL (Electronic Differential Lock)
Stability
ESP (Electronic Stability Programme)
Off-Road Assistant
Hill descent control -
Drive-off assistant -
Off-road ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) -
Off-road ASR (Anti Slip Regulation) -
Off-road TCS (Traction Control System) -
Off-road EDL (Electronic Differential Lock)
Park Distance Control
Parktronic sensors at rear
Parktronic sensors at front -
Parktronic speaker at rear
Parktronic speaker at front -
Parktronic display on central infotainment system

How about this for airbags:
Dual front airbags
Side airbags at front -
Curtain airbags at front and rear -
Switch-off function for front passenger airbag

+ loads of others.

If I was in the market for the segment and if there is one thing that will make me run away from the proposition, that would be the horror stories of Skoda A.S.S. Assuming that there is a solution for that, I would have gone for it.

BTW, what color have you chosen? The "Corrida Red" is one that I love!

Compact diesel SUVs is the way forward for Indian consumers and I hope to see more players in the segment.
ssh1979 is offline  
Old 17th September 2011, 20:15   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 754 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Another option - just stick to your Scorpio for another 2 - 3 years and ride out the gathering economic downturn. Invest excess monies wisely and look at your options couple of years down the line.
sridhar-v is offline  
Old 18th September 2011, 00:54   #78
BHPian
 
Gerardfdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
looks that way certainly
I dont like the Aria - too big for me.
and I cant abide the Innova either - certainly not for me.

very difficult indeed, this decision.
the biggest problem is the huge impatience - I am a victim of near complete and total user fatigue with my Scorpio and hence this urge to move on!
I too am getting impatient!
Earlier there were rumors that the (W201)XUV500 was being launched on 28 Sept! now heard in Dec (-Mr. Anand spoke on Tv some time back)! so delivery would be only 2012!!!
Just test drove the Yeti! was not blown away by it! though we did take it a bit off road- thro ditches and deep pits of water made by cement trucks!
Though the attendent felt I should be thrilled - But then I've been through two gypsies and Mumbai floods in them - this was no big deal!

The Tuscon - looks out dated!
Gerardfdz is offline  
Old 18th September 2011, 05:38   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

an excellent piece of advice Sridhar.
thanks.

But the doom and gloom scenario is one thing -where interest rates look like they are continually going up up and up!

let me see what happens over the next month or two - based on the actual scenario I will take that decision!




Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Another option - just stick to your Scorpio for another 2 - 3 years and ride out the gathering economic downturn. Invest excess monies wisely and look at your options couple of years down the line.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 18th September 2011, 06:44   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 754 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
an excellent piece of advice Sridhar.
thanks.

But the doom and gloom scenario is one thing -where interest rates look like they are continually going up up and up!

let me see what happens over the next month or two - based on the actual scenario I will take that decision!
Seriously - I am seeing a repeat of the 2008 crisis, but possibly with reduced intensity. It all depends on whether the Europeans manage to rein in the PIGS & whether USA can gets its political debate on the right track. So there will be a lot of volatility in the Equity market and it would be a good time to do some value investing. Also credit & salary raises in India are definitely going to be impacted.
sridhar-v is offline  
Old 18th September 2011, 08:16   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

lets see
a repeat of 2008 is NOT what any of us working in consumer led businesses want to have happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Seriously - I am seeing a repeat of the 2008 crisis, but possibly with reduced intensity. It all depends on whether the Europeans manage to rein in the PIGS & whether USA can gets its political debate on the right track. So there will be a lot of volatility in the Equity market and it would be a good time to do some value investing. Also credit & salary raises in India are definitely going to be impacted.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 18th September 2011, 10:40   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,132
Thanked: 1,002 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
lets see
a repeat of 2008 is NOT what any of us working in consumer led businesses want to have happen.
The current scenario definitely seems to be leading to the 2008 like crash. The interest rates are going up, share prices down, sales are plummeting and soon new car prices will become attractive, for those who have the cash to buy. Similarly second hand vehicle prices will be depressed. On the whole unless you have ready cash now, wait for a couple of years, increase your cash reserve, and then when the economy starts looking up, get a new vehicle, while the attractive discounts are still there.
Aroy is offline  
Old 19th September 2011, 14:21   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Hi Shankar,
Let me add to your confusion a little by adding the Yeti Ambiente to your consideration set!
Currently the Yeti Ambiente is selling at an ex-showroom price of 13.99 L in Gurgaon. You can also get an additional 25K as corporate discount, translating to an ex-showroom of 13.74L. The Elegance however, is selling at an ex-showroom of Rs 16.5 L less 25K corporate discount at 16.25 L. The difference in the ex-showroom prices of these versions, comes to 2.5L. Now what do you lose in those 2.5 Lacs?

1) Colour touchscreen 6-Cd changer - this is only an AUDIO player and cannot play DVDs / has no navigation. Only the interface is colour and fancy, sound quality of the Ambiente's Swing system is also exceptional. So no big loss, IMO!

2) Off road button - this is only a software tweak to change the response of the ASR, ESP, EDL, ABS etc systems, and even the Ambiente has all these features. You can also get this button retrofitted to your Ambiente later (I think it is avl for 7500 Rs). But till the time dealers get trained on it, they may not be able to.

3) 2 Airbags vs 6 Airbags... this is a matter of personal weightage to safety and you can attribute any cost to this, and you cannot get these retrofitted no matter what. All withstanding, there are very few cars / SUVs in India which give more than 2 airbags, even the Fortuner / Endeavour do not have more than 2.

4) Front parking sensors : Do you really need front parking sensors? We can see the bonnet clearly in the Yeti and there is hardly any need for an experienced driver for these - Ladies maybe its a different matter!

5) Dual Climatronic AC system vs Climatic control: The Elegance version is over glorified and actully not as useful and most of the time you will control the AC manually (we always do so in our Civic). Plus how many times will you really set different temperatures for the driver and the front co-passenger?

Apart from these, there are hardly a few other differences, like DRLs, Cornering lights etc, which can be enabled via VCDS (I have already done so!).

My recommendation would be Yeti Ambiente, as the price is an absolute bargain at this point and you may not get a better deal!

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline  
Old 19th September 2011, 20:13   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

thanks

what is VCDS?
and Ive forgotten if the Ambiente comes with Leather seats or not.

But anyway, Im not in a great hurry.

Can wait for some more time.

I do like the Tuc better frankly - and it is bigger and more useful as per my needs.

lets see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
3) 2 Airbags vs 6 Airbags... this is a matter of personal weightage to safety and you can attribute any cost to this, and you cannot get these retrofitted no matter what. All withstanding, there are very few cars / SUVs in India which give more than 2 airbags, even the Fortuner / Endeavour do not have more than 2.

Apart from these, there are hardly a few other differences, like DRLs, Cornering lights etc, which can be enabled via VCDS (I have already done so!).

My recommendation would be Yeti Ambiente, as the price is an absolute bargain at this point and you may not get a better deal!

Regards,
Behemoth
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 19th September 2011, 21:27   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
thanks

what is VCDS?
and Ive forgotten if the Ambiente comes with Leather seats or not.

But anyway, Im not in a great hurry.

Can wait for some more time.

I do like the Tuc better frankly - and it is bigger and more useful as per my needs.

lets see!
Hi Shankar,
Yes, the Ambiente does have leather seats. Vcds is Vag-com, the obd diagnostic software, which can be used for diagnosis of all VAG group cars, including Skoda. I would not really recommend the Tuc, as there were very few units sold in India, and service and parts may become a big challenge. Anyway, your call!
Behemoth is offline  
Old 20th September 2011, 07:09   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Shankar,
With the recession phase 2 just around the corner, it would be very prudent to settle for the TUCSON. Moreover you like it very much. Ride thru the recession phase 2 and go for a better SUV later.
F150 is offline  
Old 20th September 2011, 07:56   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
madan80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
....

I do like the Tuc better frankly - and it is bigger and more useful as per my needs.

lets see!
A friend of mine uses a tuscon- he picked it up when it had run about 30K Kms and has now completed over 60K Kms (in about 2 years), A constant gripe has been a clutch issue. Make sure that you check the vehicle throughly before picking it up. The other point is being a End Of life Vehicle (for over 3 years Now IIRC) do you really want to pick up something of this vintage? Your resale value also will be hit hard.

My vote goes with the new Yeti - and if the ambiante is available for Less than 14L - i think the few extra monies used is worth it.

Also subscribe to Sridhar's view of holding on to see how the market Pans out. The last thing you need is a huge liability at a point when liquidity is king! (just my 2 Cents)

Now- the kicker- he's installed a pete's box on his tuscon and the damn thing flies! So there's a performance upgrade you can look at!
madan80 is offline  
Old 20th September 2011, 08:58   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

so it looks like the recession is on eh?
lets see what happens these next 3 months - I think the picture will be clearer by Dec/ Jan.
As I say Im not in a hurry. My Scorpio is in perfect condition and is a highly reliable beast.
Yes it is bumpy but I guess I can live with that considering it is only 3.5 years old.
Yes the Tuc has passed the end of its product lifecycle.
Yes it is not a good idea to splurge big bucks via loans in a high interest scenario coupled with a slowdown around the corner.
Yes also to the fact that having liquidity is lovely.

Unless I get a super deal on a very good Tuc I wont jump.
And Im not in the mood to consider 20 lacs ish on the Yeti as I ve said before.

We shall see what we shall see then!
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 22nd September 2011, 23:21   #89
BHPian
 
Gerardfdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Shankar,
Let me add to your confusion a little by adding the Yeti Ambiente to your consideration set!
Currently the Yeti Ambiente is selling at an ex-showroom price of 13.99 L in Gurgaon. You can also get an additional 25K as corporate discount, translating to an ex-showroom of 13.74L. The Elegance however, is selling at an ex-showroom of Rs 16.5 L less 25K corporate discount at 16.25 L. The difference in the ex-showroom prices of these versions, comes to 2.5L. Now what do you lose in those 2.5 Lacs?

1) Colour touchscreen 6-Cd changer - this is only an AUDIO player and cannot play DVDs / has no navigation. Only the interface is colour and fancy, sound quality of the Ambiente's Swing system is also exceptional. So no big loss, IMO!

2) Off road button - this is only a software tweak to change the response of the ASR, ESP, EDL, ABS etc systems, and even the Ambiente has all these features. You can also get this button retrofitted to your Ambiente later (I think it is avl for 7500 Rs). But till the time dealers get trained on it, they may not be able to.

3) 2 Airbags vs 6 Airbags... this is a matter of personal weightage to safety and you can attribute any cost to this, and you cannot get these retrofitted no matter what. All withstanding, there are very few cars / SUVs in India which give more than 2 airbags, even the Fortuner / Endeavour do not have more than 2.

4) Front parking sensors : Do you really need front parking sensors? We can see the bonnet clearly in the Yeti and there is hardly any need for an experienced driver for these - Ladies maybe its a different matter!

5) Dual Climatronic AC system vs Climatic control: The Elegance version is over glorified and actully not as useful and most of the time you will control the AC manually (we always do so in our Civic). Plus how many times will you really set different temperatures for the driver and the front co-passenger?

Apart from these, there are hardly a few other differences, like DRLs, Cornering lights etc, which can be enabled via VCDS (I have already done so!).

My recommendation would be Yeti Ambiente, as the price is an absolute bargain at this point and you may not get a better deal!

Regards,
Behemoth
thanks Behemoth - you piece is a real eyer opener for me. While I have never been a fan for "Top of the LIne" models - as I like to customise my ride this article has really put things in perspctive and could sway me towards the YETi Ambiente"
Just wating to see the XUV5oo Hope it is launched soon
Rgds
Gerardfdz is offline  
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:32   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
thanks Behemoth - you piece is a real eyer opener for me. While I have never been a fan for "Top of the LIne" models - as I like to customise my ride this article has really put things in perspctive and could sway me towards the YETi Ambiente"
Just wating to see the XUV5oo Hope it is launched soon
Rgds
Hi Gerard,
I have also covered my Yeti Ambiente in a detailed ownership review on the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...km-driven.html (Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven))
This will also give you some additional insight into the features and the performance.
Hope it helps!

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use of Old car tire, Tire Art! Beautifully done, Must see. SirAlec Shifting gears 2 18th March 2011 22:02
Beautifully cute Red point! (Fiat Punto ) Hrishiz Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 4th April 2010 15:40
Want to see Lamborghini Balanced Beautifully on Tea Cups?? (Literally!!) 1Day The International Automotive Scene 12 30th September 2006 01:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks