Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

View Poll Results: Brand New Yeti or Well Kept Used Tucson?
Brand New Yeti Elegance 75 71.43%
Very Well Kept Used Hyundai Tucson 30 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23rd September 2011, 10:00   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Pal what are DRL's?
Im useless with these acronyms.
please enlighten me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Shankar,
Yes, the Ambiente does have leather seats. Vcds is Vag-com, the obd diagnostic software, which can be used for diagnosis of all VAG group cars, including Skoda. I would not really recommend the Tuc, as there were very few units sold in India, and service and parts may become a big challenge. Anyway, your call!
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:02   #92
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

^^ Daytime running lamps
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:14   #93
Senior - BHPian

these DRL's are useless in Indian conditions overall. We dont have those grey dark conditions like in Northern Europe so frankly why bother with DRL's here - except to show off that one has a modern, relatively higher end vehicle.
It looks foolish to see so many Audis and other marques buzzing around in bright summer sunlit conditions with their silly DRL's on. I think this feature is completely superfluous in India.
Atleast there should be a way to switch them off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ Daytime running lamps
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:41   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
There is a way to switch them off on all vehicles.
Old 24th September 2011, 08:01   #95
Senior - BHPian

is there a switch? or does one have to disconnect them?
sorry if Im ignorant of this but I havent seen the switch in some of these vehicles. and the cars Ive rented and driven abroad so far havent had these day time running lights so I dont know how to knock 'em off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
There is a way to switch them off on all vehicles.
Old 24th September 2011, 10:18   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
sorry if Im ignorant of this but I havent seen the switch in some of these vehicles. and the cars Ive rented and driven abroad so far havent had these day time running lights so I dont know how to knock 'em off.
Even I haven't seen a switch. They are supposed to be on when the vehicle is in motion, no?
Old 24th September 2011, 10:44   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For eg. on Skodas, depending on the model you can either switch them off through the multifunction display or though the indicator stalk by doing a short procedure.

In cars like BMW and Audi's they can be turned off from iDrive and MMI respectively.
Old 24th September 2011, 16:20   #98
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the clarification.
will check on it next time at some showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
For eg. on Skodas, depending on the model you can either switch them off through the multifunction display or though the indicator stalk by doing a short procedure.

In cars like BMW and Audi's they can be turned off from iDrive and MMI respectively.
Old 24th September 2011, 17:13   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
these DRL's are useless in Indian conditions overall. We dont have those grey dark conditions like in Northern Europe so frankly why bother with DRL's here - except to show off that one has a modern, relatively higher end vehicle.
It looks foolish to see so many Audis and other marques buzzing around in bright summer sunlit conditions with their silly DRL's on. I think this feature is completely superfluous in India.
Hi Shankar,
I for one find the Drls actually useful. Whenever I enter into any parking lot fromthe outside, even in the daytime, the Drls aid visibility and helps me see better. It takes around 30 sec for our eyes to adjust to the darker environs and it is during this time, the Drls are helpful. They can be turned off easily by holding the indicator stalk down within 5 sec of ignition on for 3 sec.
Old 24th September 2011, 21:24   #100
Senior - BHPian

good point but personally I would prefer to remove my sunglasses and swith the headlamps on when entering a dark place. my eyes adjust quite rapidly I find. good that one can switch these DRLs off when needed else I guess it must be a drain on the battery to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Shankar,
I for one find the Drls actually useful. Whenever I enter into any parking lot fromthe outside, even in the daytime, the Drls aid visibility and helps me see better. It takes around 30 sec for our eyes to adjust to the darker environs and it is during this time, the Drls are helpful. They can be turned off easily by holding the indicator stalk down within 5 sec of ignition on for 3 sec.
Old 24th September 2011, 21:47   #101
BHPian

Thanks Behemoth - I Having a look at the link.
Im not really very enthu about the Yeti - waiting to see the XUV500 or even the Force one!
Rgds
Old 28th September 2011, 12:15   #102
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shankar it is proven that DRL's improve the visibility of the vehicle for approaching vehicles and reduce the chance of accidents.

A DRL is mainly intended to be visible even in bright day light. They are not just meant for us to see (beyond say as a parking light) but mainly to be seen (as in be more visible to other vehicles as the eyes will not confuse even a dirty dull vehicle with the surroundings even if the driver concentration is at a low due to rains or bright sunlight or just the after effects of a long drive (not of the car with DRL but the approaching car driver so that he/she does not bang into us from the front.). It is a bit like the reflectors that are now madatory on the rear of all cars.

Most modern DRL's are LED's that take very little power.

Last edited by ACM : 28th September 2011 at 12:17.
Old 29th September 2011, 06:21   #103
Senior - BHPian

the latest AUTOCAR talks about the new de-tuned 110BHP Yeti with the same 1968 cc engine making an appearance in early 2012. However it says that the permanent 4WD system will be given in this version also.
Their comment on the pricing is not clear though.

There's also some info about this Fabia Scout - which has all the appearances of a "rough roader" - possibly they may be trying to re-create some magic in the segment that the Fiat Adventure /Weekend had started some years ago.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:01   #104
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

@shankar.balan: How about giving the XUV500 a try, now that you have seen the pics. Have you registered for a TD online? May come in at the Yeti cost but with greater 'heft', may have all the bells and whistles as the Yeti.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 29th September 2011 at 07:03.
Old 29th September 2011, 07:11   #105
Senior - BHPian

i saw this in May when they called me for a feedback session
i hope they ve sorted the fit and finish niggles which I saw then
i will of course go and see the vehicle and TD it soon
Will make up my mind if it is indeed going to suit my requirements. My main concern is that of its size - it is almost the same size as the Captiva and I was looking for a more compact fully functional SUV for urban conditions and for my forays into the hills etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
@shankar.balan: How about giving the XUV500 a try, now that you have seen the pics. Have you registered for a TD online? May come in at the Yeti cost but with greater 'heft', may have all the bells and whistles as the Yeti.
Closed Thread