Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s


View Poll Results: Brand New Yeti or Well Kept Used Tucson?
Brand New Yeti Elegance 75 71.43%
Very Well Kept Used Hyundai Tucson 30 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 14:32   #106
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 232 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

@Shankar: now that Xuv is out and prices are drool worthy, will you be considering this one ?
2500cc is offline  
Old 29th September 2011, 15:02   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

certainly
after checking it out and test driving it.
worth it at this kind of pricing

it will simply stump the competition - From Tata to Toyota the whole lot will go running for cover.

great pricing initiative by M&M
people will move away from the Yeti and even possibly the Duster and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
@Shankar: now that Xuv is out and prices are drool worthy, will you be considering this one ?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2011, 19:36   #108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,752
Thanked: 4,345 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
it will simply stump the competition - From Tata to Toyota the whole lot will go running for cover..
Yes ! Tata will now have to be very careful with their pricing. For current & upcoming models. May be good for those who like the Safari.

Shankar, waiting for your TD report.
condor is online now  
Old 29th September 2011, 20:00   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Yep. youre right.
I hope to TD it soon - maybe this weekend. Maybe tomorrow if I get free earlier than expected.
Need to know when their AWD AT is coming because I would like to consider that. also need to get comfortable with concept of owning a larger beast (compared to my Scorp).
Next is of course the fit finish and overall feel of the vehicle and its handling characteristics, ease of driving in the city etc.
And I hope they offer the Plum and Black upholstery with the Silver vehicle - the plain Silver one is the best colour for this XUV in my opinion. All the other colours look a bit too bright for my tastes.
Suddenly the whole thing is looking superbly interesting.
And there's more to come in the form of the less powerful Yeti with 4WD, the Ford EcoSport and so on.
hope this XUV price will make the Renault chappies sit up and bring in the Duster top Euro Spec with 4WD at a fair price as one version instead of stripping it down and trying to only somehow meet a low price target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes ! Tata will now have to be very careful with their pricing. For current & upcoming models. May be good for those who like the Safari.

Shankar, waiting for your TD report.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 4th October 2011, 20:42   #110
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,890 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hence my thoughts are tending more in favour of a Yeti/ Duster sized compact SUV which will meet our daily needs. Till the decision is finally made I will keep buzzing around in my Scorp.
Interesting comparison! But I thought you were almost decided on the used Tuscon. So the Yeti is back in the picture. How do you rate the interior quality of XUV in comparison with the Yeti?

Note: Replied here as the discussion on Duster thread is going OT, and moderators could possibly intervene.
vb-san is offline  
Old 5th October 2011, 06:33   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Even now the Tuc is absolutely perfectly sized, in my opinion.
but I dont think I want a 5 year old car now.

yes the Yeti is back in the picture certainly.

While the XUV is a superb effort and deserves a lot of appreciation, I do think that the M&M team has some way to go yet to reach the fit, finish and overall quality levels of the Yeti in terms of interiors, materials used etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Interesting comparison! But I thought you were almost decided on the used Tuscon. So the Yeti is back in the picture. How do you rate the interior quality of XUV in comparison with the Yeti?

Note: Replied here as the discussion on Duster thread is going OT, and moderators could possibly intervene.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 11:20   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yep. youre right.
And I hope they offer the Plum and Black upholstery with the Silver vehicle - the plain Silver one is the best colour for this XUV in my opinion.
( Yes, the Silver XUV500 comes only with Black and Plum interior and that is the one which we have booked W6 Silver. Even I don't like the Beige and brown interiors too much and it looks much more elegant in Black and Plum.)

From what I have seen in Images of the Duster on the Internet, the interiors are very bland and almost 90% like Logan. If they position it above 10 Lacs, people may not like the interiors too much.
Behemoth is offline  
Old 11th November 2011, 18:48   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

So for me the LittleBigFoot Yeti is very much back in consideration.
Am currently evaluating whether to buy Ambiente or Elegance.
I find the Ambiente very attractively priced but I like the Elegance better so it is a tough decision.
Am also evaluating the colour - Silver makes excellent sense on account of easy maintenance and the fact that it doesnt show scratches or fading over the long term. But the Mato Brown is quite a delicious shade too! Perhaps a marginal compromise by going for Cappuccino beige?
The more I interact with the Yeti the more I appreciate their finesse, finish, fit and overall quality. Everything in the vehicle shrieks quality.
Am also highly influenced by Jeremy Clarkson's review of the vehicle on TopGear - having seen this episode in the UK around 6-7 months back, I saw it again when it was telecast here last week. He is not normally complimentary about anything - I was pleasantly surprised when he didnt have anything bad to say about the Yeti.
the golfbag can manage to shift for itself and so can I, with this vehicle!

More on this thread later as things progress...
Lets see , one step at a time...
cheers

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th November 2011 at 18:54.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2011, 19:29   #114
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,890 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So for me the LittleBigFoot Yeti is very much back in consideration.
Am currently evaluating whether to buy Ambiente or Elegance.
I find the Ambiente very attractively priced but I like the Elegance better so it is a tough decision.
Am also evaluating the colour - Silver makes excellent sense on account of easy maintenance and the fact that it doesnt show scratches or fading over the long term. But the Mato Brown is quite a delicious shade too! Perhaps a marginal compromise by going for Cappuccino beige?
The more I interact with the Yeti the more I appreciate their finesse, finish, fit and overall quality. Everything in the vehicle shrieks quality.
Good to know that the Yeti is back into play.
I am a big fan of Silver shade, but felt the Yeti looks best in Mato Brown
vb-san is offline  
Old 12th November 2011, 11:37   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 1,006 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

What about your dogs? Will they all fit in the Yeti (and not scratch the upholstery? With Yeti doling out attractive discounts it is slowly approaching a sweet spot in price. I am hoping against hope for another lac of discount soon.
Aroy is offline  
Old 12th November 2011, 17:15   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

its ok to take one dog at a time if I need to and luckily my vet does do home calls so I may not need to take the creatures in it much.
mostly its a daily use vehicle with me and my wife sitting in it.
anyway regardless of the price, it is still an utility vehicle and if I buy it Im intending to use it just the same way as I use my Scorpio.
you can use a vehicle fully and to the limit as long as you take care of it properly - thats my way in general.
the elegance is a very attractive beast - we have to see whether the money matters match up to expectations and then will make the decision.
the cappuccino beige looks nice
the silver is best for reasons mentioned earlier
the mato brown is clearly the most delicious shade of those available -
they have a deep jungle green in their international models - thats also a lovely colour - wish they would offer it here in India.

cheers


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What about your dogs? Will they all fit in the Yeti (and not scratch the upholstery? With Yeti doling out attractive discounts it is slowly approaching a sweet spot in price. I am hoping against hope for another lac of discount soon.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th November 2011 at 17:16.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 18th November 2011, 21:34   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Ok, so I m planning to book a Brand new Yeti very soon. Elegance version.

I want your suggestions on the best colour.

I like Silver on account of practicality, ease of maintenance, scratches etc dont show up as much on Silver and so on.

Hence, head clearly says Silver.

The heart on the other hand says Mato Brown because it looks stunningly pretty.

So what to do?

After all one doesnt buy cars like the Yeti very often - would appreciate inputs on this.

cheers
shankar
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 18th November 2011, 22:18   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The heart on the other hand says Mato Brown because it looks stunningly pretty.
Book the brown. Looking at the way you have maintained your Scorp and Indica over these years, it is evident that you have the resources and time to keep your cars well maintained, so why book that mundane Silver?
n.devdath is online now  
Old 18th November 2011, 22:27   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

hi dev
lets see. trouble is that the Mato Brown is a head turner and lots of people will cast the "eye" on it. that worries me because jealous people can cause a lot of harm to the poor Yeti.
this is one of the reasons why I was considering the relatively anonymous Silver one.
question is whether the heart wins over the head or vice versa. knowing myself, it is usually the heart which scores.
thanks for your comment on the maintenance.
I do try, I admit, to keep things properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Book the brown. Looking at the way you have maintained your Scorp and Indica over these years, it is evident that you have the resources and time to keep your cars well maintained, so why book that mundane Silver?
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 18th November 2011, 22:36   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 1,555 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
hi dev
lets see. trouble is that the Mato Brown is a head turner and lots of people will cast the "eye" on it. that worries me because jealous people can cause a lot of harm to the poor Yeti.
this is one of the reasons why I was considering the relatively anonymous Silver one.
question is whether the heart wins over the head or vice versa. knowing myself, it is usually the heart which scores.
thanks for your comment on the maintenance.
I do try, I admit, to keep things properly.
Hi Shankar,
Great to know that you are taking the plunge for Yeti! My vote goes for the Capaccino beige colour!
One more good news from our side. We got the delivery of our silver W6
Xuv500 on 16th Nov and the next battle review is going to be up on Sun (have already completed the review in the assembly line, just need to take a few more pics over the weekend and will share it.)
Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Use of Old car tire, Tire Art! Beautifully done, Must see. SirAlec Shifting gears 2 18th March 2011 22:02
Beautifully cute Red point! (Fiat Punto ) Hrishiz Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 4th April 2010 15:40
Want to see Lamborghini Balanced Beautifully on Tea Cups?? (Literally!!) 1Day The International Automotive Scene 12 30th September 2006 01:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks