Old 19th March 2014, 15:31   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Innova vs Others

Has he considered Scorpio ?
chandras1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 17:43   #182
Senior - BHPian

^No. Scorpio is not in his list. Isn't XUV the modern version of it?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 20:05   #183
BHPian

Don't know if this is the write thread to post. Mods please move if it isn't.

Dad wants to buy a car. It would mostly be chauffeur driven and would be sometimes driven by dad or me. 80% of the driving would be inside the city and the rest on the highways.

Dad wants a 7 seater only. So all the sedans and 5 seater SUV / UV are out of consideration.

I have narrowed down my choices to the Innova vx or zx variant and the top end Ertiga. But I can't decide which one to go for.

There are 4 options that I see.

1. Buy a used Innova top end - The sparingly (20 to 30k km) used ones are going for around 13 lakhs in Bangalore.

2. Buy an all new Innova - When you are already giving 13 big ones for the used one, 4 or 5 big ones more should be worth it? Budget is not such a big constraint currently.

3. Buy a new top end ertiga

4. Wait for the Honda Mobilio. I saw it in the auto expo coverage and really liked the way it looked - much more contemporary looking than the Innova. And, that 3rd row leg room from the pics looks sweet

Here are some things which I observed.

1. I have hated it every single time that I have driven the Innova (driven mostly on highways) - There is just not enough grunt / power and a lot of noise instead post 100kmph. (I own an RD tuning boxed i20 diesel and I feel huge difference in power to the Innova)

2. I test drove the ertiga and the engine is much more eager and better in comparison. However, the comfort levels for passengers (especially the middle row seats) is no where close to the comfort the captain seats the Innova offers. The width of the middle row feels very less on the Ertiga.

How about a Innova with a RD / Pete tuning box (Which would be the best compromise) - Would that option work well? I do not see many Innovas using tuning boxes on the forum.

Any advise is highly appreciated and thanks in advance. Cheers
Kimified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 20:13   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Don't know if this is the write thread to post. Mods please move if it isn't.

Dad wants to buy a car. It would mostly be chauffeur driven and would be sometimes driven by dad or me. 80% of the driving would be inside the city and the rest on the highways.

Dad wants a 7 seater only. So all the sedans and 5 seater SUV / UV are out of consideration.

I have narrowed down my choices to the Innova vx or zx variant and the top end Ertiga. But I can't decide which one to go for.
I love the Innova in and out from the day it was launched, call me fool for it. I don't mind!

Coming to your needs, I feel the Ertiga ZXi if running around is low else go in for the Ertiga ZDi.

My dad just got one in Jan'14 a white Ertiga ZDi where the car is driven by a driver, I feel the Ertiga is a good highway car and doesn't feel stressed thanks to the brilliant engine coupled with a VGT that makes things cool.

Seating also is better with good amount of options to customize the seating.

Just for tp, the wheelbase difference between the Ertiga and Innova is only 15 mm. The Innova has 15 mm more wheelbase than the Ertiga so interior space is similar.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 20:42   #185
BHPian

Default Looking for a change from Innova

Team Bhpians,

I need some serious advice here.

Background:- I current own an Innova, G4 2007 May model with a little over 90k on the odo. It has been a brilliant ownership so far and the vehicle has not let me down even once in these 7 years. No major accidents (just a little nudge on bumpers etc which have been duely attended to).

Accessories:-
1. 5 Alloywheels (changed at around 50k kms from the earlier alloys)
2. running tunit for the last 50k kms
3. Added stabilization bars
4. HiD on headlight and fogs
5. Touchscreen audio player with component speakers at the front and an overhead TV attached
6. Usual - unique decals, rear spoiler, mood light in the front row, reading/playing lamps for the kids at the back
7. 5 michelin tyres
8. Full synth oil for the last 50k kms
9. Somender groove done about 10k kms back.
10. consistently get about 12 in the city and about 15-16 on the highway.
11. KnN filter

This car has been a family member all along and has never ( i mean it) let us down.

The problem is I am kind of bored with its perfection and needed some advice now on what next

Couple of things that bothers me is the short 5th gearing that tends to fatigue me on longer runs and the suspensions that could have been better. The engine growls at 100kmph@ 2600/2700 rpm. NVH could have been better. 80-90 ride is brilliant but travelling longer distances this speed is not sustainable. My usual driving speed on the highways is around 100-110 kmph.

I need advice on what needs to be done now. My priorities are fatigue free rides, good ride quality (suspension), space, reliability and decent running costs.

I am not sure if the 5th gear could be made any taller. Even if it is possible, is it worth doing it. I test drove the safari strome and found the ride quality brilliant. I could not quite do higher speeds but based on some of the feedbacks on this forum, I could gather it is fairly good. With the introduction of the new ARIA, i am further confused what needs to be done here (pls dont scream at me). Queries i had were

1. Is it time to change the Innova
2. If yes, what are the alternatives ( i have listed my priorities further up)
3. I test drove the XUV a couple of years back (when it was hard to get one) and a couple of things put me off - the ride quality and ZERO boot space with all seats upright (unclear why they provided the rear boot lid there the boot does not exist - no offence meant to anyone)
4. Test drove the safari - ride quality was simply brilliant. But this comes as a 5 seater. One of my criteria is a usable 3rd row and a usable boot.
5. Been seeing the news on the refreshed Aria. Specs looked good but looks like aria missed a segment there. the base is a little under 10l and the next model is 12.2l. Is it worth spending that additional 7-8l for the 4x2 top model or the base 4x2 is the most VFM. Not looking at the 4x4 at all.
6. Anything else i am missing here!!

Looking forward to some good advises and perspectives (including how sensible is it to hold on to the current Innova i own)

ADVANCE THANKS
Shiwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 21:36   #186
BHPian

Default Re: Looking for a change from Innova

Dear shiwik, this is one of the toughest question you could have raised on this forum. Honestly speaking I still feel that there can be no replacement to Innova. There is no vehicle which can match the space and comfort it offers in the third row.

Tata products stands no where near Toyota. You wrote that it was a trouble free ownership with Toyota Innova. You will not be able to get any replacement for this vehicle.

The car is due for a complete facelift in 2015, I would suggest wait and buy that.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 21:59   #187
BHPian

How did you conclude its time to change the Innova?
There are many Innovas running perfectly fine with more than 1.5L kms on the odo.
Age is just a number for this one! And more importantly, you dont really have a major issue with it.
Hang on with it for another year and (I think) the all new Innova will come next year!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 22:04   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

I love the Innova in and out, one of the best cars launched in India I can say. Very understated and reliable.

If you are hell bent in changing the Innova, nearest choice is either the Ertiga ZDi or an XUV 5OO.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 22:06   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

I would have suggested you to hold on to your Innova and get it Pete'd or something similar. But you are already running it on tunit. Hasn't that atleast made cruising on 110-120 kmph more easier?

The reason I am asking is because truth be told, there isn't any other vehicle in the market today that offers similar comfort levels in all 3 rows and yet leaves space for luggage. So if that is something very important to you then I would suggest to hold on that Innova for little longer.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 22:36   #190
Senior - BHPian

Except for the Looks (1st Gen looks compared to 4th Gen looks), I dont see much value add in the 2014 edition.

Is it time to change the Innova? Yes - if you want to move upmarket and No if you want to move lateral.

Tata Storme is no doubt a good vehicle, but Tata A.S.S is not as efficient as Toyota A.S.S. I dont see a need to upgrade to Storme unless you need 4X4 or need an "SUV" image.

For 7 seat SUV: Sell innova for 10 ish lacs + 2ish lacs down payment + emi of 25000 per month for 7 years (16 lacs @ 10.75 per annum) = Fortuner.

For 5 seat Crossover: Sell Innova + 2 lacs down + 5 lacs loan = XUV5OO W8 AWD.

Upmarket MUV: Mercedes R class R350: If you would like to move upmarket, spend 55 lacs and get a brand new R class (dealers are keen to push stocks) or 35 lacs can get you a sparingly used R class.

No offense meant, but i dont recommend an XUV/Storme/Safari/Force one et all by selling the Innova. Sell it only if you are upgrading to Fortuner or R350.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 19th March 2014 at 22:39.
scopriobharath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 23:27   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Having read through your post, I would again reiterate what many others have already said. The Innova is splendid when it comes to perfection and hassle free ownership that Toyota offers - "bullet proof reliability" is the phrase that goes internationally with Toyotas.

But what is apparent is that you have complains about its 100 plus kmph cruising ability and the NVH levels at such three digit speeds. Even when at lower rpm's the engine emits noise that's quite unexpected from a Toyota.The inside is insulated , but try and hear an Innova getting started in the neighborhood.

I am sure you will curse the less than perfect SUV's like the Safari Storme, XUV and even the Aria, which can't well compare with the Innova.There are minor glitches which surface anytime on these indigenous SUV's and quality niggles are common.They also lack the finesse and that can be felt once you are behind the wheel.

You say that the Innova offers luggage space with the three rows of seats. Thats because of its length- its longer than the XUV and the Safari/ Storme. The Aria is longer and can offer that equivalent space.

But all said and done, I would request you to await the newer model of Innova, thats already making news and could not be far away (2015 launch).

Among all these discussed above, the Innova offers a car like driving pleasure, though its a SUV or more precisely a MPV.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th March 2014 at 23:30.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 09:34   #192
Senior - BHPian

I think you could look at the Aria, you could get 7 lakhs for the Innova and another 5 lakhs would get you the Aria Pure 4x2

This would at best be a gamble. It will give you better long ride pleasure but everything else is as said earlier a gamble

Also, you would not be able to get more than 7 lakhs on the Aria when you decide to sell if for the new Innova coming out in maybe 2-3 years.

Its a 5 lakh gamble or gritting your teeth and bearing the Innova for a couple of more years
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 10:31   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
How did you conclude its time to change the Innova?
There are many Innovas running perfectly fine with more than 1.5L kms on the odo.
Age is just a number for this one! And more importantly, you dont really have a major issue with it.
Hang on with it for another year and (I think) the all new Innova will come next year!
Equus - The car would be 7 years old and given the length of time i have spent with it and its near perfect shape, I was wondering if it is time enough to move on to something peppier, technically advanced, etc etc. I concur with you that this engine would outlast the car and i would run another atleast 100k peacefully. I dont have any issues from a mechanical standpoint. It offers great city drives. Only concern was the higher speeds (100 or more), the vehicle just screams its guts out (even in the inside). I own a micra dci and it does a 100 @ around the same RPM. However, the NVH is surprisingly very low (despite Nissan providing no noise deadening support).

What i was specifically looking for was if i sell it a year later (assuming the new Innova is out sometime mid of next year), how much would the vehicle depreciate and is that depreciation worth it. Also going by Toyota's track record, the new one would be quite steeply priced (especially when it is replacing this hugely successful product)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I would have suggested you to hold on to your Innova and get it Pete'd or something similar. But you are already running it on tunit. Hasn't that atleast made cruising on 110-120 kmph more easier?

The reason I am asking is because truth be told, there isn't any other vehicle in the market today that offers similar comfort levels in all 3 rows and yet leaves space for luggage. So if that is something very important to you then I would suggest to hold on that Innova for little longer.
I have it tunit'ed and grooved. These have tremendously helped the lower end torque (i can move effortlessly move on 3 hear from standstill, though i would not recommend that). However, despite these mods, the RPM for the speed has not changed (and i don't think that is the intended behavior of these contraptions). The vehicle does well at higher speeds, the only gripe i have is the growl at those speeds which is distracting and fatiguing (probably it is only me)

I completely agree, changing an innova is quite complicated for two reasons - 1. the high standards that it sets and 2. is there a worthy alternative.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th March 2014 at 12:56. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
Old 20th March 2014, 10:38   #194
Senior - BHPian

Event the current gen innova cannot replace the innova which you own. Never let her go! That's precisely the reason why we still hold on to our 9+ year old car despite the 6 digit figure on the ODO. It still drives like a dream.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 10:40   #195
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I think you could look at the Aria, you could get 7 lakhs for the Innova and another 5 lakhs would get you the Aria Pure 4x2.....
Is the ARIA truly such a gamble? I mean have all/majority of the ARIA's that have sold till date have been sad? Whichever vehicle i buy, i intend to own it for atleast another 5-7 years unless there is a very compulsive reason to do so. In that time-frame, i am presuming the costing and the technical demographics of the auto industry would have changed. Do i still need to be worried on that count? Please let me know if I am trying to be unreasonably logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Event the current gen innova cannot replace the innova which you own. Never let her go! That's precisely the reason why we still hold on to our 9+ year old car despite the 6 digit figure on the ODO. It still drives like a dream.
Agree..there is a debate between the heart and the head on weather to change this vehicle. The heart obviously screams NOOO and the head reluctantly says YES.

If i decide to retain her, would you be able to provide any suggestions on what could be done for 1. improving the NVH (especially the engine growl) and any solutions for making the 5th taller.

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2014 at 11:00. Reason: Merging back to back posts