Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 20th March 2014, 10:45   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Looking for a change from Innova

Unlike earlier, I can confidently recommend the Tata Aria now.

It was always:
Striking to look at
Loaded with features
Safe
Good off-road
Brilliant NVH levels
Boasted good ride quality

Now:
It has that little bit extra oomph (was still the most powerful before but I am not complaining)
Got a new Turbo
Comes with a 1.5 lakh kms warranty.
70k kms warranty on the clutch
2 lakh kms warranty on the timing belt
Harman Kardon audio
Added features here and there

So Tata seems to have made it far more reliable and their warranties on parts show their confidence in the product now. That was all the Aria needed. I say, Go for it!
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 10:54   #197
BHPian

Default Re: Looking for a change from Innova

How about Toyota Fortuner ? Not sure about the ride quality ( I have never driven one ) , it will give you more power , you can get 4wd option , nice road presence , good old Toyota reliability and service.

On the down side , I am not sure about the seating comfort in the 3rd row , initial cost and operating costs will be more than Innova .

Or as Ishaan mentioned , you will have to buy Aria or Safari and be happy with it . I don't think you will be happy with TATA quality and service after owning a Toyota .

Again ask yourself , do you really want to buy a new car ?
girimajiananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 15:10   #198
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Innova vs Others

As commented a number of times, nothing replaces Innova if ride comfort, 7 seats and reliability is considered.

For better ride you sacrifice reliability. The imports are worse as their reliability is quite low and their maintenance costs astronomical.

The Fortuner ride is quite bad when compared to Innova.

The only option on which you can gamble is the Aria as they are giving an excellent warranty.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 15:22   #199
Distinguished - BHPian

Please do not even think of Fortuner as a replacement vehicle for the Innova. The fortuner is a true blooded SUV and not a people's mover like the Innova. Hence the ride quality on it is very bumpy, getting in an out of the vehicle is much more tougher as you have to climb into the vehicle and above all the seating comfort is not at par with the Innova since the angle of the seats makes your legs point towards to roof to some extent.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 16:42   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
\If i decide to retain her, would you be able to provide any suggestions on what could be done for 1. improving the NVH (especially the engine growl) and any solutions for making the 5th taller.
You could try damping the car with Dampmat or Dynamat,it helps a lot on Swift's to reduce the cabin noise. So hopefully it will in the Innova too. Additionally,if you're using a tuning box why not try a remap from the likes of Pete's,Tune o tronics etc ? It will be better than a tuning box.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 16:52   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
You could try damping the car with Dampmat or Dynamat,it helps a lot on Swift's to reduce the cabin noise. So hopefully it will in the Innova too. Additionally,if you're using a tuning box why not try a remap from the likes of Pete's,Tune o tronics etc ? It will be better than a tuning box.
+1

Get the doors and boot lid dampened and may be a thicker engine cover on top to insulate the sound.

Get a remap done to get better driving feel and after market suspension kit too.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 19:04   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
+1

Get the doors and boot lid dampened and may be a thicker engine cover on top to insulate the sound.

Get a remap done to get better driving feel and after market suspension kit too.

Anurag.
How would a re-map be different from a tuning box (pls point me to a link if you have). Would it make the gearing any taller (i know this question kind of sounds silly :-(). Suspensions are not too bad but the engine noise - if it can be reduced, i would retain this car for the rest of my life. I find the Innova the smoothest at about 70-85 kmph beyond which the growl increases exponentially.
Shiwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 19:24   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
How would a re-map be different from a tuning box (pls point me to a link if you have). Would it make the gearing any taller (i know this question kind of sounds silly :-(). Suspensions are not too bad but the engine noise - if it can be reduced, i would retain this car for the rest of my life. I find the Innova the smoothest at about 70-85 kmph beyond which the growl increases exponentially.
This is a discussion on Tuning boxes VS Remaps:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...el-tuning.html (Tuning Box versus Remaps (Diesel tuning))

The gearing etc will not change but for the engine behaviour and the way it delivers power to the road.

I love that engine sound of the Innova and make it point to keep all my ears stuck when I am in it!

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 19:56   #204
BHPian

In my book, Aria or XUV or or Ertiga are not replacements. Fortuner certainly is!

All you need to do is fall in love with this car again - just a bit jaded, huh?
Perhaps get her new alloys or a nicer music system and chug along till the all-new comes by!
There is nothing really wrong with it!!

Last edited by Equus : 20th March 2014 at 19:57.
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 15:48   #205
Senior - BHPian

I am quite surprised to read that Innova lacks power and is difficult to keep going at 100-120 kmph speeds.
I have never driven one myself, but that is the most common vehicle on Mumbai Pune Express way which takes on my 2.0 liter Cedia. It is not that I try to compete with an Innova, but the vehicle surely is stable and can go at steady 120 kmph speed without breaking a sweat. If I see an Innova in the rear view mirror, I just give it way to go ahead.

I do not know much about the noise inside the vehicle at that speed.

Perhaps a fully loaded Innova might struggle to maintain 120 kmph speeds, I suppose.

Last edited by S_U_N : 21st March 2014 at 15:50.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 16:51   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I am quite surprised to read that Innova lacks power and is difficult to keep going at 100-120 kmph speeds.
I have never driven one myself, but that is the most common vehicle on Mumbai Pune Express way which takes on my 2.0 liter Cedia. It is not that I try to compete with an Innova, but the vehicle surely is stable and can go at steady 120 kmph speed without breaking a sweat. If I see an Innova in the rear view mirror, I just give it way to go ahead.

Perhaps a fully loaded Innova might struggle to maintain 120 kmph speeds, I suppose.
The Innova is seamless and cruise happy in speeds between 100-120 kmph but the only issue the OP says is the sound of the engine post the 100 kmph mark. I'd say the Innova is a relaxed cruiser and the best vehicle for highways with absolutely NO competition till date.

Anurag.
Old 22nd March 2014, 21:13   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

Speaking from personal experience, I would say the Innova's gearing is pathetic for high speed cruising on the highways. Plus the bhp deficit cannot be hidden really.

Innova is comfortable at 100 kmph. At 120, the engine can be very audible and seems like it reached it's limits. Anything above 120, and the engine screams and groans like it is going to throw itself apart.

Ride and handling at those speeds is not a problem at all. It is just that the engine roars so much that it does not seem happy doing those speeds.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:48   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkar1710 View Post

7. @sk7671, how has been your experience with the 2010 Xylo E8 with regard to above mentioned points?

Regards!
Hello Onkar - I have always been driving SUVs (since 2002) and maybe me and family are used to the body rolls. There sure is a difference in how Xylo behaves when compared to other cars (sedans).

After driving the XUV, I came to know how you can get an almost sedan like drive in an XUV (lower COG). Have you test driven the XUV? If not, I would suggest to take one. It sure would be a nice upgrade for you. With the W4 variant introduced, XUV is catering to a wide budget range. If you plan on using the third row for long drives, then for sure XUV is not an option, but if it is for a small nuclear family; I would suggest - Bite the XUV bullet.
sk7671 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 07:34   #209
BHPian

How did you close out on this? I can bet the Innvova is still around
Eager to know!!

Team - any concrete news/pics of the new Innova? This one will be one of the most awaited launches out there!!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 08:04   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post

Team - any concrete news/pics of the new Innova? This one will be one of the most awaited launches out there!!
I guess the launch is expected in 2015. Right?

Hope the Innova is not costlier and not loaded with chrome. I want Toyota to keep EVERYTHING same except for the power it develops for a 2.5L capacity.

Anurag.