Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 1st May 2014, 17:25   #226

Default Re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Innova vs Others

Hey Guys,

I am in the process of deciding what SUV to buy with a budget of around 10 L.

The car should:

1. Be tough, sturdy and spacious for a getaway trip for trekking/camping

2. Good for daily city use and spacious enough to transport office material.

3. Have some new-age interior features like blue-tooth cellphone connect etc..

My search has brought me to the following:

1. Bolero: fits the budget but not sure about new-age features or modernization.

2. Scorpio: fits the budget and seems to have most things.

3. Ford Eco-sport: fits the budget, has great interior options, but not sure about space.

4. Nissan Terrano: May be a tad over budget but seems spacious.

Based on analysis (without test driving) the new Scorpio seems the best bet. However, I'm not sure what SUV launches are there in 2014 and if it's worth waiting for any?

Any experts with comments/suggestions?

Thanks
Amit
hoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 19:24   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshi View Post
Hey Guys,

I am in the process of deciding what SUV to buy with a budget of around 10 L.

The car should:

1. Be tough, sturdy and spacious for a getaway trip for trekking/camping

2. Good for daily city use and spacious enough to transport office material.

3. Have some new-age interior features like blue-tooth cellphone connect etc..
If you are not in hurry, please wait Scoprio will get a major facelift in coming months. The case is same with Bolero, an all new Bolero is expected by mid of next year. Meanwhile Maruti may also launch their compact SUV. So it should be worth waiting.
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2014, 20:51   #228

What are the additional features on the Scorpio?

Bolero - Cant wait until next year, my car is almost dead. Need to get something within 60 days.
Old 1st May 2014, 22:18   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Bolero - Cant wait until next year, my car is almost dead. Need to get something within 60 days.
If the requirement is urgent then Scorpio it is.

1) Bolero - Rugged, Reliable but nothing of new-age techies in it. This car is a down to earth one.

2) Scorpio - Has everything you need and is available faster.

3) EcoSport - Has everything but for the stupid waiting period.

4) Terrano - Seems to be a good car but doubt the ASC and go-anywhere ability when compared to Bolero and Scorpio.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 1st May 2014 at 22:22.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:11   #230
BHPian

Quote:

The features of new Scorpio is not known at this moment. Autocar India had published spy images of the interiors of the new Scorpio. Some excerpts from their report.

Although the rather upright dashboard and tall gearlever betray its decade-old origins, the detailing is all-new and the overall colour scheme is now a restrained beige and black, with some light brown trim as well. Gone are the oval AC vents, replaced by smart-looking, chrome-lined rectangular units on a piano-black base. A prominent “Scorpio” badge now sits below the left AC vent, and there are twin gloveboxes in place of the tough grab handle previously placed ahead of the front passenger.

But the launch date is not confirmed by Mahindra so not sure it will match with your timeline.
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2014, 07:32   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
If you are not in hurry, please wait Scoprio will get a major facelift in coming months. The case is same with Bolero, an all new Bolero is expected by mid of next year. Meanwhile Maruti may also launch their compact SUV. So it should be worth waiting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
The features of new Scorpio is not known at this moment. Autocar India had published spy images of the interiors of the new Scorpio. Some excerpts from their report.

Although the rather upright dashboard and tall gearlever betray its decade-old origins, the detailing is all-new and the overall colour scheme is now a restrained beige and black, with some light brown trim as well. Gone are the oval AC vents, replaced by smart-looking, chrome-lined rectangular units on a piano-black base. A prominent “Scorpio” badge now sits below the left AC vent, and there are twin gloveboxes in place of the tough grab handle previously placed ahead of the front passenger.

But the launch date is not confirmed by Mahindra so not sure it will match with your timeline.
If it's just minor aesthetics then I'm OK not waiting. Unless there is a major upgrade of the engine.

But, still undecided between Bolero and Scorpio. Any suggestions? Pros/Cons?
Old 8th May 2014, 15:21   #232
Senior - BHPian

Get the Scorpio, preferably the 4x4. If you do not want the electronic gizmos the LX 4x4 is the best buy. It is rugged, can go practically any where and has very little electronics to bug you with recurrent failures.

What you loose out in LX is ABS, Airbags, Rear washer and electric window control on each door (they are all in the center console). What you get is a rugged 4x4.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 14:26   #233
BHPian

Hey guys! Hope everyone is doing great!

Well, I am in a delima!! XUV 5OO Vs Safari Storme. Had a couple of text drives of both the vehicles back to back and below are the first impressions me / my family had:

(Looking at the base models of both the trucks)

XUV 5OO:
1. Looks imposing.
2. Good equipment levels for base model.
3. Lack of space for third row and luggage. Hate the roof top carriers.
4. Parents complained about a bit of vertical movement on the middle row seat (Cause of concern). The road I drove on was on good condition. With no potholes or broken surface.
5. Monocoque construction.

Safari Storme:
1. Looks majestic and huge!!
2. Fantastic handling for a truck this size, provided it has a proper chassis.
3. Lesser creature comfort as compared to XUV 5OO.
4. Absent third row front facing seats. Though that opens up a large luggage area.
5. Parents did not complain of vertical / horizontal movement. Not as much as that of XUV.

Few things I have going on in the mind which is adding to the confusion:

1. Parking ability in tight spots - Storme Vs XUV
2. ASC - which one would be easier and better to work with?
3. As a first time owner of SUV, what are the major things I should be concerned about?
4. Should I consider driving a different XUV sample to check for the vertical movement which parents complained about?

Wold appreciate your inputs / suggestions.

Thanks!!!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 14:37   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
4. Should I consider driving a different XUV sample to check for the vertical movement which parents complained about?
There was suspension updates for XUV in OCT 2013, so if your test drive vehicle was a pre- update model do take another test drive in newer vehicle.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 14:42   #235
BHPian

Quote:

Well, I am in a delima!! XUV 5OO Vs Safari Storme.

Thanks!!!
Hi

My suggestion is based on XUV experience. We have a XUV since June 2012, got through lottery, fully paid-one though

In spite of numerous problems and concerns, I still feels its the best SUV to own for the given price. All problems & concerns are forgotten, when you get in the driver seat and ignition is turned on.

I am not going to talk about pros & cons, you would have read better on TEAM-BHP. I can only say that its would be the OWNER's pride & other's Dream.

Go ahead & treat yourself !
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 15:07   #236
BHPian

Middle row seat comfort is generally an issue with SUVs, but it appears XUV is probably worse compared to others in this dept, since, my better half complained of nausea / discomfort while sitting for 2-3 hours during a highway trip in the middle seat of my bros XUV.

Quote:

4. Parents complained about a bit of vertical movement on the middle row seat (Cause of concern). The road I drove on was on good condition. With no potholes or broken surface.

Thanks!!!
If middle row seat is not going to be used freqeuntly or something you can live with (being extra cautious while it's occupied) and you do not plan to do offroading, then, XUV will be better choice considering the killer looks, features, driving fun, aspirational value, resale value (considering sheer volume sold so far) etc etc.

Strome is a real SUV as they advertise. You can enjoy driving it both on and off the road (traditional body on frame design). Also you get more luggage space, but compromise on 3rd row seating comfort.

XUV vs Strome choice will be determined by your priorities (Seating comfort, driving pleasure, features, luggage space, On/Off Road usage, ownership period etc).

Good luck!
Autocop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 15:19   #237
BHPian

Thank you for your valuable inputs - mpksuhas, Wanderers and Autocop. Appreciate!!

@Autocop: This is where the delima started -Heart Vs Mind!!

Heart says - Storme, Mind Says - XUV.

Seating comfort - Storme
Driving pleasure - Liked both, though I am still leaning towards Storme :P
Features - XUV hands down
Luggage space - Storme, though with third row folded away, XUV opens up good flat surface.
On/Off Road usage - 99% on-road
Ownership period - minimum 7 - 8 years.

Thanks!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 15:38   #238
rkg
Senior - BHPian

I was similar dilemma. Finally choose ARIA base model Pure LX.
Test drive ARIA and then decide. ARIA rides better than Storme. i had a prolonged test drive of 40Km on pure lx before finalizing it.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 15:40   #239
BHPian

Quote:
1. Parking ability in tight spots - Storme Vs XUV
Storme is bigger (longer, wider and taller) than XUV but Tata has managed to reduce turning radius considerably (from 6m of Safari to 5.4m; XUV has 5.6m). This is a huge improvement and makes a lot of difference in taking U turns or parallel parking and a lot less iterations while parking in tight spots.

PS. Who else than a Fiat owner appreciates and yearns for a low turning radius!
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 19:43   #240
Senior - BHPian

Both XUV and Storme will test your patience, time and money. None of them are hassle free. Saying this as i own XUV from past 3 years and my close friend owns Storme, so i can compare both.

However both these are meant for different needs. If you want driving pleasure, nice handling, good pic up with loads of electronic to play with, then its XUV. But if you want space,middle row comfort,luggage space and a big masculine truck, then its Storme.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote