Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 23rd April 2012, 11:46   #91
BHPian

I am not advocating high speeds. I am just saying that it's very calm and composed at those speeds that I usually drive. I still feel that apart from both of them have 7 seats there is nothing common between both cars. Innova may be a good people mover so if you need a good people mover go for it. XUV has a tried and tested quite engine mated with a six speed gearbox and all the gadgetry that we could think off plus more. Ownership of XUV is not as niggle prone as its perceived to be.
BTW I have the first lot XUV and have driven 12k till now without any issues. Also I am pleased to see the RM concept actually working and the service level they promised for XUV is actually far exceeding when we practically experience it.
Why do we see XUV at podium of desert storm or daxin dare? Because the positioning of it is not of a people mover
To sum up my point of view:-
If you are comparing innova with XUV you should go for innova. XUV is for those that compare innova with Xylo and not with XUV.

Last edited by rohitbagai : 23rd April 2012 at 11:56.
rohitbagai is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 22:50   #92
BHPian

Default re: Mahindra XUV500 vs Toyota Innova vs Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Most of them are expensive & are overrated. I dont find any of the Toyota's products VFM. But that is just my opinion about them.
This is not to disparage your experience with Mahindra.

The Quality of a product is measured by considering all the cars getting out of their showroom perform. In my extended family they have 3 scorpio and 2 xylo. Couple of them don't care about small problems, but other folks are so irritated with Mahindra's inability to fix simple things right. One of them had to visit Mahindra service 4 times to get rid of an engine overheat problem.

So, On that particular area it is well known in the world that Japanese cars have best quality & reliability over long term, for a given money. The refinement of Japanese engines are typically far better too.

VFM - value/money at time of purchase is not the only criteria. Long term Peace of mind, Value of resale are also a criteria in determining VFM.

Japanese cars command a premium in resale and hold their value well over years. My toyota Innova is almost 7 years old (70K odo). I paid Rs. 8.80Lakhs in 2005 (after discount). I have a standing offer from a taxi operator for the car at Rs. 6.7Lakhs. You'll be lucky if a scorpio of 7 year gets half its original value. My car is good for atleast another 5 years and 50-70K, after which a taxi guy can easily run it for another 5 years (total 300K+ odo).

Suzuki, Toyota in India offer highly refined & reliable products with fabulous After Sales Service. They may be a bit more expensive, but With Tata and Mahindra, you have a chance of ending up with a lemon, that'll never be fixed by their poor service teams requiring repeated run about.

I did buy an indica out of misplaced patriotism. And paid for it with repeated visits for repairs. Swore not to buy another Tata product unless I see their quality has come up to international standard.

Mahindra is better, but have some way to go.
hkollar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 09:02   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
This is not to disparage your experience with Mahindra.

Mahindra is better, but have some way to go.
Totally agree with whatever you said, except the engine refinement part. An Innova's engine is more noisy than the Scorpio's or even the Safari's.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:42   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree with whatever you said, except the engine refinement part. An Innova's engine is more noisy than the Scorpio's or even the Safari's.
NVH characteristics of Innova above 100km/hr is indeed a bit bad. I am not sure it is the engine noise itself - it may be the noise insulation that's the culprit. Other thing about Innova engine is it is perhaps a tad less fuel efficient.

But, for me refinement of a car is not about engine noise. It is the attention to detail and engineering quality of the overall car and fitment. I don't know of any one person who has complained about any kind of glitch or problem with a new car delivered. How the components of the car holds up when it is abused or over long term.

An Innova rarely develops rattles and creeks in 7-8 years, that most other cars develop within 3-4 years.

So, Innova lives up to its higher pricing by delivering value over longer duration. But, it isn't for someone who is looking for state-of-the-art car features.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:24   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, for me refinement of a car is not about engine noise. It is the attention to detail and engineering quality of the overall car and fitment.
I made that comment since you specifically mentioned engine refinement -

Quote:
The refinement of Japanese engines are typically far better too.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 21:45   #96
BHPian

Quote:
NVH characteristics of Innova above 100km/hr is indeed a bit bad. I am not sure it is the engine noise itself - it may be the noise insulation that's the culprit. Other thing about Innova engine is it is perhaps a tad less fuel efficient.

But, for me refinement of a car is not about engine noise. It is the attention to detail and engineering quality of the overall car and fitment. I don't know of any one person who has complained about any kind of glitch or problem with a new car delivered. How the components of the car holds up when it is abused or over long term.

An Innova rarely develops rattles and creeks in 7-8 years, that most other cars develop within 3-4 years.

So, Innova lives up to its higher pricing by delivering value over longer duration. But, it isn't for someone who is looking for state-of-the-art car features.
I had a quick test drive of xuv recently and NVH levels are very dear to me. I find that nvh levels for driver is better in xuv compared to innova ( esp. the gear box vibration) but reverse is true for second/third row seat passengers. There was lot of constant irritating turbo noise after 1500 rpm in xuv. I am sure it was turbo noise ( not tire noise). Rear passengers never complain for any noise in innova. Is this a normal turbo noise b/c I have not driven many turbocharged cars?
avimal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 01:14   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal

I had a quick test drive of xuv recently and NVH levels are very dear to me. I find that nvh levels for driver is better in xuv compared to innova ( esp. the gear box vibration) but reverse is true for second/third row seat passengers. There was lot of constant irritating turbo noise after 1500 rpm in xuv. I am sure it was turbo noise ( not tire noise). Rear passengers never complain for any noise in innova. Is this a normal turbo noise b/c I have not driven many turbocharged cars?
Yes there is a distinctive turbo sound ( I won't call it a notice though). It feels as if something is spinning faster than the overall engine speed, like a mini DC fan. It is audible around 1300-1400 RPM range till I guess 1600-1700 range. somehow I have started liking that sound as its distinctive
The verna also has a VGT turbo but I never hear that sound.
rohitbagai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 01:07   #98
BHPian

Planning for a 6/7 seater in the Market. I am a Fiesta petrol owner as some of you know and a very thirsty Petrol engine + twin kids arriving has forced me to plan for an "upgrade".

I test drove Innova, Xylo E9 and XUV.

* I started off with Innova at the Nandi Toyota on Kanakapura Road, Bangalore outskirts. Its an ideal place to checkout the vehicle, as a test drive here, would mean, you have a chance to drive on open highways and even on NICE road if the sales executive could take prior permission from his Manager.
I drove a Vx Innova New. The fit and finish inside, the new silver console finish, the blue tinged dials on the instrument panel, the superlative looking wood finish are the huge positives from interiors perspective.
I had never driven an Innova till then. The feeling of driving such a refined engine with that cracking engine orchestra was something i wasnt expecting and was pleasantly surprised. This is coming from a person who drives a Fiesta Petrol 1.6 which is super refined and powerful. So, believe me when i say, i dont feel its under powered. But yes, it has a negative. I feel a major negative. Cruisability.
Shift from the gears from 1st upto 5th and it accelerates pretty fine. No concerns watsoever. And in a very refined manner. A lot of low end grunt.
100 Kmph and 5th gear : I am searching for the 6th slot. Its not there my dear friends. Thats the problem.
Can i leave with it after paying 14.5 Lakhs for Gx or a 17.04 for Vx ???
Difficult to answer. I guess, one has to truely prioritise his/her needs and thoughts and take a plunge.

* Xylo E9 : Drove this before trying out XUV... for a reason.
If i would have driven XUV, i am sure, i wouldnt have even considered sleeping in the direction of this "ship". I am sorry, i am not interested in captaining a ship. Not on land.
Took the E9 from Sireesh auto over the Hosur road elevated highway upto Electronic city exit. The gear shift is hard and uncompromising. Seating position is way too high, even for SUV/MUV standards. I also sat in the middle row captain seats. Well, wrt comfort of these seats, i do agree that, they are very nice and cool. But the point is, with that sort of vehicle height and the Titanic feel, its isnt good, however comfortable the seats are. Cant think of buying this vehicle.

* XUV: Yes, the plastics on the test vehicle dint feel good on the door panels.
Those textured plastic is still livable with, on the dash board. Looks nice, if well maintained. Same would be true, once we buy the vehicle. If well maintained, without scratches from the shoes while ingress/egress, these plastics can be made to look good.
Engine, gear shift, 1st and 2nd row seating comfort is brilliant. No complaints folks. Two 5 feet 10 inch dudes sat in the last row and felt decently comfortable, even on the move. Well, i am definitely not asking for a full sized bucket seats in the 3rd row All the CRAP about "last row is for ur worst enemies", "is fit for children" are always exaggerations.

==================
Exterior looks of Innova after facelift is something i have fallen for. And at the same time, the Silver XUV is something i am losing sleep on.

So wat to do??? No length of discussion on this forum/thread would answer our questions. Feel ur heart, read ur own mind. Extract the answer

Cheers
Pramod

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th August 2012 at 11:12. Reason: Editing out mention of high speeds.
pramod is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 08:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
So wat to do??? No length of discussion on this forum/thread would answer our questions. Feel ur heart, read ur own mind. Extract the answer
I am an Innova owner but I would say go for the XUV.

The XUV may not have the bullet proof reliability of the Innova but I am sure it wont fail you in the middle of the road either.

Driving experience of the XUV is far superior when compared to the Innova. Both in the city and on the highways, the XUV will impress with it's torquey engine.

Also, compare the pricing. For 17.5 Lacs on road, it dont think it is cool to buy a sparsely loaded MUV with a 102 bhp engine when for lesser money, you can get a fully loaded XUV with 140 bhp, 8 airbags, traction control system, hill descent, projectors, integrated maps and the likes.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 10:47   #100
BHPian

Quote:
you can get a fully loaded XUV with 140 bhp, 8 airbags, traction control system, hill descent, projectors, integrated maps and the likes.
+1. These were the factors which came into my mind, and I've booked XUV5OO W8. Sorry to nitpick, airbags are 6.
Vasuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 11:12   #101
AWD
BANNED

Quote:
Planning for a 6/7 seater in the Market. drove Innova, XUV.
Innova for bulletproof reliability, ease of ownership, tried & tested to hell. Cannot go wrong with this vehicle.

XUV for superior pick-up, more comfort but comes with frequent niggles. Wish MM made it more reliable.

Alternately you could wait for Nissan Evalia, it is pipped to have better interio space/comfort than Innova. Looks may not to everybodies liking but if you can live with that, should prove to be an efficient vehicle.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 01:35   #102
BHPian

I TD'ed Innova, Xylo, Ertiga, Duster, and XUV5oo and decided to go with Innova (after getting some advice on this forum). I can not wait for Evalia, though I would love to. More than anything else, Wify insisted on buying Innova The new Silky Gold Mica metallic is absolutely stunning.
nistala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 13:59   #103
BHPian

Quote:

I was in the same boat as you. And in addition to the 2 options mentioned, I also considered waiting for the Storme. In the end I let my life conditions decide the vehicle for me. I love cars, I love to own and maintain them. But going forward I was going to become more busy with my work and had decided to start a family. At the same time, I enjoy traveling and come what may our cars have to travel 40k in a year. So here was a key aspect which had to be fulfilled for me: a lot of time to be spent in the car but at the same time there will be a squeeze on my free time to take care of the car.

And this was my biggest requirement, which would often get lost in the haze of bhp figures, equipment list etc. And I was so uncertain that one day I would get excited about the Storme and on another occassion the XUV or Innova. Once it became clear that to me what is that I require most - I was convinced Innova it has to be.

Plus, I must tell you it did matter a lot that when I went to test the XUV the cheetah paw -sorry, the door handle broke right in my hands!
rrsteer is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 16:34   #104
BHPian

Quote:
I feel that you should take this decision from the heart.... Both the innova and the XUV are great machines there is no doubt about it. you would never regret buying any of them.

My view is that if you remove all the gizmos also the XUV is a better car than the Innova period. From a reliability perspective the main componants work well. The niggles are mostly with the infotainment system and noises/sounds/hardness of the clutch etc.
Add to it the pricing and you cannot compare it with an Innova.

If M&M had done their QA well this thread would never have existed. It would have been a no brainer to go for the XUV.

Both Cars are reliable. But in case of an XUV you need to keep a look out for the issues and during the next service you need to go to the SA and give him the list of stuff that is not working or has issues. In case of an innova you wont have to do that.
If this is one thing that would completely maar your ownership experience I suggest you go for the Innova, else XUV it is.
gandalf is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 00:36   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
I feel that you should take this decision from the heart.... Both the innova and the XUV are great machines there is no doubt about it. you would never regret buying any of them.

My view is that if you remove all the gizmos also the XUV is a better car than the Innova period. From a reliability perspective the main componants work well. The niggles are mostly with the infotainment system and noises/sounds/hardness of the clutch etc.
Add to it the pricing and you cannot compare it with an Innova.

If M&M had done their QA well this thread would never have existed. It would have been a no brainer to go for the XUV.

Both Cars are reliable. But in case of an XUV you need to keep a look out for the issues and during the next service you need to go to the SA and give him the list of stuff that is not working or has issues. In case of an innova you wont have to do that.
If this is one thing that would completely maar your ownership experience I suggest you go for the Innova, else XUV it is.
The comparison is not that simple....even if the quality levels were similar (which they aren't!). The Innova is a true 8 seater..even the last row can be used by 6 feet tall persons on 200+km drives, so long as the middle row occupants agree to share some on their vast legroom by sliding their seat forward (even then they will have more space left than 90% of sedans). No such deal for the XUV. The last row is for kids or adults below 5 feet and not comfortable on long rides.

Even if you want to carry 6-7 adults and loads of luggage, you can flip up one side of the last row split seat and have space for people and their luggage. Again..cant do that with XUV .

Last edited by Buffetfan : 30th August 2012 at 00:38.
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote