Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Old 29th January 2012, 01:53   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
I appears that Offroading is really not the intent. Yep the possibility of new Q7 & RR within the next 2 years at most do make the purchasing ones which are still the best of the 3 options seem like a bad option.

Why not the X6?

You want something with great presence on Road - X6 ticks this box.
A vehicle for Wife and kids and occational outstation trips does not seem to indicate the requirement for more than 5 seats - unless you plan to take a driver.

Also why not the Merc GL?

Somehow considering this is India getting support for Audi, Merc & BMW should be easier if something does go wrong.

The Cayenne seems the best bet from the 3 original options selected by you as it is the newest. Am sure some corrections to the tyre sizes can make it comfortable enough in terms of the ride as well.
So the Cayenne does seem like the best bet but now I realised something - the March end date is an estimate. Apparently it might take a month longer. The Porsche guys can't seem to make up their mind and from what I hear about the management - they blatantly lie about delivery dates so as to not lose the order. That is unethical. Also it's costing me 95 lakhs (the Pre optioned car that they are offering me). At that cost shouldn't I buy something that actually seems to be at that cost ? I mean 95l for a cayenne seems a bit much. I'd rather buy an A8 at that cost. At least it will look like it cost that much. I can't get over how much Porsche charges for options.
So decision still jot made :(. I'm leaning towards the Cayenne provided they guarantee some sorrow a delivery date. I don't want to wait for 6 months.
Zkalra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 01:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo
So cayenne it is or still contemplating ?
Seems like it provided I get a reasonable delivery date. Somehow at 95l the Cayenne doesn't seem like that good a value. I can get an A8 for that price with the technology straight out of a space ship.
Old 29th January 2012, 09:39   #18
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Audi Q7 vs Porsche Cayenne vs Range Rover Sport?

If you are interested in a Cayenne wait till the Porsche dealership is opened by VW itself or by someone else besides Shreyans. Shreyans apparently take a very long time to deliver cars and are never on time with their commitment.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 10:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zkalra View Post
overall presence
I can help you in "overall presence" from point of view of a low end car user. I've never sat in a car costing above 10 lac.

1. When I see a Q7 in my mirror, I'm like "Dunno which Audi it is. They all look same.". I don't get impressed but when it passes me, my jaw drops "what a long car! Almost like a limo!". Once I'm behind it, I can't see that its mammoth shape so it doesn't look impressive to me.

2. BMW X6 looks absolutely like a beast from side and rear. Best road presence in India! From front, it looks like just another BMW SUV, not so impressive.

3. Porsche Cayenne is so common in Delhi that I'm simply never impressed by its looks.

4. I don't know which RangeRover you are talking about. They all look same to me. Boxy, outdated and cheap-looking (no offense to RR owners!). Only Evoque looks impressive to me, and is the only RR which I can identify.

Hope I helped a tiny bit
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 23:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If you are interested in a Cayenne wait till the Porsche dealership is opened by VW itself or by someone else besides Shreyans. Shreyans apparently take a very long time to deliver cars and are never on time with their commitment.
Thats what I have heard. I personally know the owner and despite that I am sure I am going to be given a wrong commitment.
Old 29th January 2012, 23:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
I can help you in "overall presence" from point of view of a low end car user. I've never sat in a car costing above 10 lac.
Hope I helped a tiny bit
Definitely did help. Thanks man. I think the Porsche seems to be out as I am positive they are not going to deliver it before 4 months.
Old 30th January 2012, 14:34   #22
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Once Again repeating the suggestion that could have got lost along with a lot of other pointers- Check out the X6. It does have presence. Also the R & GL Series Merc.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 17:50   #23
BHPian

you know i would definitely check the new merc ML and BMW X5. they are relatively cheaper and equally prestigious and maybe equally comfortable too! from what i have heard and seen, the interiors of both these are really good. the new ML looks fab in white! have seen and fallen for it! and X5 is somehow (one of my) dream SUV since its quite practical, reasonably priced compared to ranges and porches and have heard that drives like no other suv can.. except only porsche! somehow people discount it as boring or never has it turned so many heads but i have always admired the X5 for it all-rounder features! you get to enjoy the drive of a bmw and get practicality of a suv along with it! also read in reviews that the ride quality is also great!

also the new merc ML class looks great inside out and also merc being a merc, should give you the best ride. and plus it just got the new version!

know someone who was in almost similar situation and ended up with a merc ML last year (last gen). apparently he found the merc the cheapest among the rest. got it for 60L approx! he looked into ML, Q7, land cruiser and the range rover.

Q7 seems and looks great but somehow too long cars put me off sometimes as it has its urban drivability issues..

I would certainly look into these cars other than the RR sport (best of the 3 suv's you have selected) of course. 2 years is still a long time... if you love the car, just get it. though i would have taken the big rangie vogue also into consideration at that price point! makes sense to go all the way and get the best when you are reaching that far anyways... plus the sport somehow don't have that much road presence as the rest.

I love the porsche too but somehow have always felt that an SUV is useless if it can't go off road. though the ML and the X5 can't do that much off roading too, but i guess you can do reasonable stuffs in them. have seen in many off road reviews. but porsche.. it doesn't do much off roading, doesn't ride that comfy (as you said) and is the most expensive! ticks all the wrong boxes!

hope i am of some help. though i have no personal experience with any of them but have researched a bit out of interest

Last edited by magikrider : 12th April 2012 at 17:58.
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 21:39   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post

hope i am of some help. though i have no personal experience with any of them but have researched a bit out of interest
This is the problem of replying to a 3 month old thread. The OP has bought an RS5 and is happily using it
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 21:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
This is the problem of replying to a 3 month old thread. The OP has bought an RS5 and is happily using it
oh.. i did come across the RS5 thread but didn't knew it was bought by the same owner and for the same requirement! he didn't post any update so...

nevertheless... awesome choice! lucky man indeed!
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 13:43   #26
BHPian

Sorry guys. I should have posted here. Yup bought the Rs5 as it blew me away.

Still the question remains. As I am thinking of buying an SUV to replace the 530d - which one to get? I am leaning towards the new q7 whenever it comes out. Plus I love the Audi guys and I know they will take care of me.
Old 29th November 2012, 05:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

One of my cousin is willing to buy a SUV in the same category. He came up with Q7 & RR. I've advised him to have a look at Porsche cayenne. He immediately rushed to the Showroom and fell FLAT for it.

On road price for Diesel version in B'lore: 1cr.
Black or White colors can be delivered within 2 months. Any other colors, 6-8 months.

Yet to decide on which one is he going to buy.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 16:20   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
I've advised him to have a look at Porsche cayenne. He immediately rushed to the Showroom and fell FLAT for it.

Yet to decide on which one is he going to buy.
If he fell flat for the Cayenne what is left to decide?
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 18:34   #29
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Shootout between the Merc GL350cdi, Land Rover Discovery,Audi Q7 & the Toyota Land Cruiser done by Autocar. They forgot to include the Porsche Cayenne in the line-up!

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-363300.aspx/0
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 18:47   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Shootout between the Merc GL350cdi, Land Rover Discovery,Audi Q7 & the Toyota Land Cruiser done by Autocar. They forgot to include the Porsche Cayenne in the line-up!

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fea...-363300.aspx/0
The others are 7 seaters, and larger than the Cayenne. Also the Cayenne is far more expensive than all of these, so I guess it made sense not to include it.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote